PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown With a Touch of Ravenloft

♠Spade♠
2014-10-10, 02:28 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4060/4323330329_e0af231d28.jpg

It has been several weeks since you received the letter and began your travel to the small town of Ravengro. Ustalev is a foreboding place. On your trip you saw mostly fields in need of plowing and the occasional peasant who would stop whatever they were doing and watch you with dark, suspicious gazes until you had passed beyond sight.

It's windy and far more chill than early fall should be when you arrive in Ravengro. The sky is a flat gray and drizzled on and off all morning making everything seem dreary. Upon arrival, you see an impressive set of wrought-iron gates that mark the entrance to the Restlands and a similar fence that runs the perimeter of the graveyard. A small group of people are standing outside the gates, talking quietly among themselves, collars and hoods drawn up against the rain.

A simple unadorned coffin of rich oak sits atop a cart pulled by a solitary, undernourished-looking nag. If the half dozen or so people present represent the only mourners, it is a small turnout indeed. The group consists of three men, a younger boy and a three women. You would guess that two of the men are past middle-age but their appearances are vastly different. One is short and pudgy with several chins and a pale sweaty appearance (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/39848/councilman_Hearthmount.jpg). The other is tall and broad shouldered with a thick head of silver hair and a handsome goatee. (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/189472/muricar.jpeg) The third man is middle aged and thick in the body. (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/690222/Zokar.jpg) The boy beside him is thin as a reed, but their features are similar enough that you suspect close relation. One of the women is also middle-aged, short and small-framed. She wears a small hat that does nothing to protect her from the rain and huddles under a parasol. another woman looks vaguely similar to Petros, and you assume that she is his daughter (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130606160842/carrion-crown/images/8/85/Kendra_Lorrimor.jpg). There is another woman there as well, with black hair and steely eyes.

Your arrival seems to bring your acquaintance's daughter back to the present, and she gives herself a small shake before gracing you with a wan smile. "Hello. You must be Father’s old friends, the ones mentioned in his will. I am Kendra Lorrimor and these are Concilman Hearthmount, Councilman Muricar, Zokar and Pevrin Elkarid, Jominda Fallenbridge, and another who has come to morn father's passing" she says, gesturing to each individual in turn. "Might I have your names please?"

The others cease murmuring and look at the newcomers with tempered interest.

The Vagabond
2014-10-10, 02:46 PM
The young malnorished man looked at her sadly, and in minor terror. He silently nods.
"I am Isaac..." he said, silently looking around in a minor panic. His stance is unstable, his eyes shifting in terror. It's quite obvious that he is not entirely stable, but is trying to maintain some semblance of normality.

Nixed
2014-10-10, 03:35 PM
Jace had never been to a place as nice as this. He clearly did not belong, and surely would have bolted already if not for the piece of paper clutched in his hand saying he could be there. Being in Ustalev is bad. Being surrounded by strangers in a cemetery in Ustalev all of whom were better dressed was worse. Better dressed despite having purchased new clothing for the occasion. Clothing which was ill fitting and much less comfortable than his usual homemade traveling gear.

All this weighed on his mind as Kendra introduced the others and he desperately tried to remember their names and other important information all while doing his best not to fidget. The nervousness of the man next to him might have offered some comfort had he enough consciousness to realize he wasn't the only one feeling that way, but he did not.

Then Isacc spoke and he realized everyone was then looking at him and he was supposed to do something. He blinked momentarily before blurting out "Jacimalke, ma'am." Then what he thought was forever but was likely no more than an instant he fills the sound with rambling. "Call me Jace." A cough and another awkward pause. "Sorry for your loss." He almost starts again before the next person finally saves him.

stack
2014-10-10, 03:59 PM
A young, dark haired man stood still and upright, the bottom of his white tabbard blowing softly in the cool breeze, a Pharasman spiral hanging from his neck above the black rose adorning his chest. Below the tabbard were simple, gray clothes, armor having no place on the solemn occasion.

Augustin was no stranger to funerals, feeling rather in his element. he had officiated over the rites many times himself since he received his gift. Everyone in Ustalav knows their importance. Its not just about saying goodbye, but about ensuring that the goodbye is final.

He steps forward and introduces himself with a bow, "I am Augustin of House Dragos. You father mentioned you warmly. My condolences on your loss, he was a good man and faithful friend, though I knew him briefly. He will certainly find a worthy reward." He bows again and steps back returning to his solemn vigil.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-10, 04:31 PM
The short black haired man in a grey scholar's robe walks into Ravengro. All the way here, he's stuffed down his internal complaint about all the walking with the thought of duty to attend the funeral. The more serious complaint about being away from his home and his books he has met with the prospect of a stay in a much nicer home, where there may well be books he's never seen.

The sight of the graveyard turns his slightly sour expression outright glum. Seeing the others, he looks around clearly trying to access the situation. Both his eyes and his hands have a nervous twitch at the moment, but when introductions are called for, he carefully memorizes the other names. In the process, he remembers that while names were asked for, the others have offered condolences as well, so now he must do likewise. After there is a short pause, he takes this as his turn to speak, saying "My name is Aredeh Black. Professor Lorrimor's passing is a true loss to the community of scholars, but your loss must be more personal. My condolences."

Smileybastard
2014-10-10, 05:39 PM
Myraan

Myraan approaches the group in his traveler's clothes, dusty from the trail, bow in his hand. The thin elf, covered in his cloak to protect him from the elements with his bright eyes gleaming out from under the hood.

Looking at all the others he suddenly feels an outsider. He bows. "Good morrow, my name is Myraan." He approaches Kendra and takes her hands. "I am sorry for your loss, my dear."

Ionbound
2014-10-10, 07:05 PM
A young woman in heavy armor and the bearing of a priestess in a chapel not their own sits in the back of the church. So this is where you've gone, then? Well...At least you kept up the good work. And I'll carry on your memory, van Richten. For Ezra, for Mordent, and for this world that should remain untouched by the mists.

With this thought in mind, she approaches the group and says, "Greeting. I am Enora. I have...Traveled a long way to get here. Your father was a great man, Ms. Lorrimor. I mourn his passing, and pray that he finds peace in death."

♠Spade♠
2014-10-11, 04:33 AM
"Thank you" she says in response to the kind words. "This has been most difficult for me." Glancing briefly at the sky as though trying to gauge the time, she continues "I suppose we should begin. We have a custom called the Dreamwake. I will walk the path to my father's grave, followed by the pallbearers and his coffin. The rest of the mourners shall follow the coffin." Kendra looks around at those assembled, "Who will volunteer to bear my father along his final journey?"

stack
2014-10-11, 08:29 AM
Augustin steps forward. "I would be honored, my lady. Though I should not be in the front, of course." He gestures towards his clouded eyes.

Smileybastard
2014-10-11, 08:31 AM
Myraan

Myraan looks slightly awkward as if unsure of what to due and what to do with his bow. For a moment it seems he will step forward, but then he does not. His eyes look to the others.

Nixed
2014-10-11, 11:08 AM
Jace

Steps forward and stands next to the casket. Relieved to have something he can do to stay occupied.

Smileybastard
2014-10-11, 11:40 AM
Myraan

Myraan takes a half step forward. "I did not know your father well, but if you need another I would be honored."

The Vagabond
2014-10-11, 01:01 PM
Isaac nods, silently staring down.
"He was a good man... Closest I've had to a friend..."

[roll0]
If such a thing might be will, then [roll1]

Ionbound
2014-10-11, 02:01 PM
Enora steps back as she says, "I do not believe the late Professor van R-Lorrimor would care for me to bear him. I've never met the man, simply heard tell of his deeds and came to pay my respects."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-11, 02:17 PM
Aredeh doesn't want to deal with making decisions and coordinating with people. When he sees he can respectfully decline the offer to carry the body, he decides he's less likely to mess this up if he just walks behind the pallbearers. He shakes his head briefly to indicate that he is not volunteering, and then gets in position behind the coffin as best as he can figure out how.

♠Spade♠
2014-10-11, 11:57 PM
With Augustin, Jace, Myraan, and Isaac lifting the coffin, Kendra takes the lead. Kendra leads the somber procession along a gravel pathway that winds through the cemetery. The crunch of gravel sounds loud to your ears, only punctuated by the occcasional squelch of mud where the gravel has thinned. As the procession begins to round a corner onto another path, the way ahead is blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals. The tallest of these toughs is an elderly but wiry old man who calls out “That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra's mournful visage quickly transforms to a furious one. “What are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been-”

“You don’t get it, woman." The man cuts her off, "We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

“Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant?”

raspberrybadger
2014-10-12, 02:33 AM
Aredeh's face hardens into a scowl, thinking Fools. If a cleric has made his decision, how will complaining to the daughter help? Useless argument. They do this to a respected local though, I best keep any magic out of sight.

Smileybastard
2014-10-12, 07:30 AM
Myraan

Myraan, bow over his shoulder and holding up the coffin, struggles to comprehend what is being said by the locals. A necromancer? The professor helped him fight his mother who was clearly evil and he seemed a very good man in the short interaction he had with him. Myraan, even though his mother was a wizard, knew little of magic. It didn't seem to him that the professor was a necromancer in any way. Maybe it was just superstitious people. In any case he wished he had his bow in his hand. It helped him feel safe and think.

The Vagabond
2014-10-12, 08:42 AM
Isaac glared at the man.
To put it simply, though he didn't state so, he was angry. Very angry. The type that you really, really don't want to face.
"... how dare you..."

Rolling for intimidate;
[roll0]
If I need to say something to him, use that as a Convey secret information use of bluff, and this as my bluff roll to pass.
[roll1]
DC 15
"Explain to me why you say that." he said, quite frank, blunt, and, to be honest, angry. Not the loud anger like most people, a quieter anger, the type that burns a hole into people's chest. The feeling that, if you don't comply, bad, horrible things will happen to you, and you will deeply regret every single word you said.
It was the intense anger of a soft man.

Ionbound
2014-10-12, 01:05 PM
Enora steps forwards and says loudly, "It matters not whether this man was a necromancer or not! He is dead now, truly dead, and deserves rest like any other man!"

This is probably going to fail horridly, but Diplomacy! [roll0]

Nixed
2014-10-12, 07:16 PM
Jace

Stays quiet as the others jump into the argument. More voices are only going to confuse and exacerbate the situation. He slowly shifts the weight of the casket as he does though, getting himself ready just in case.

stack
2014-10-12, 08:34 PM
Augustin lowers his share of the weight, stepping forward towards the voices and raising the Pharasman spiral from his neck. "Good people of Ravengro, my countrymen, who has set this rumor among you? Why do you stand in the way of this procession performing its most sacred duties? Would you affront the Lady of Graves at her very gate? I myself was dispossed by the foul undead, would I stand here bearing a necromancer? Even if he was, you do not wish the dead to rise and take vengeance for denying them their rest. Stand aside and go in peace, do not commit this heinous offense."[roll0]

♠Spade♠
2014-10-12, 09:57 PM
Growling, the spokesman begins to move forward followed by part the group blocking your way. About half the group, including the spokesman, seems content to remain back and shout encouragement to their companions, or berate the funeral party. Six men begin to move towards you. The men really aren't anything more than dirty peasants, not wearing any sort of armor or protective gear, and heft a variety of farming implements rather than actual weapons.

Diplomacy (taking the best result possible): 15(roll from Augustin)+2(assist from Enora)=17
DC: 20>17 [Failed]

Roll for initiative, please.

[roll0]% for coffin shenanigans.
Excellent! The other three characters succeed in holding it up. It is a full round action to set it down without the chance of dropping it.

Smileybastard
2014-10-12, 10:29 PM
Myraan

Myraan helps put the coffin down.

Initiative [roll0]

Ionbound
2014-10-12, 11:36 PM
Enora steps forward, shield raised, hand on the pommel of her sword, and she shouts, "Cease this madness at once! You have no reason to attack us! Please, calm down!"

[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-13, 08:07 AM
Aredeh doesn't actually say it, but he's thinking Only in Ustulav. They are really going to do this, aren't they.

He gets out his crossbow and loads it, just in case he's wrong and there's still a chance for sanity. It's not like they are going to win, but it doesn't look like they know that.

[roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-10-13, 08:16 AM
Myraan

"Please, lets not let this turn to violence. No one wants this funeral to be the source of more funerals. There is enough death to go around as it is."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Nixed
2014-10-13, 08:44 AM
Jace

This is why you avoid 'civilization'. Jace thought to himself as the situation escalates. Following Myraan's lead he lowers the coffin with the others. Once free of the burden he loads his musket hoping if the others attempts at placating the mob doesn't work, a show of superior fire power might.

[roll0]

The Vagabond
2014-10-13, 08:51 AM
Isaac glares, staring at them.
"There has been bloodshed, do you want more? If you attack, know that we WILL retaliate. And you will fall. I don't want trouble. Let us pass."

diplomacy
[roll0]

Initiative
[roll1]

♠Spade♠
2014-10-13, 09:47 PM
Battle Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SwrGSSBPCexSsp7f8Wo-Bf_kKvRo_GVQ8MnCOh4MpZo/edit?usp=sharing)

Bad guys' initiative: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-10-13, 10:43 PM
Myraan

Myraan moves between between the mob and Kendra, dagger in his hand his eyes locked to eyes of the leader of the mob. His left hand longed to hold his bow and to move the other way. Not to flee, but to be in a position to use his bow.

Moves to J12.
Total defense.

Nixed
2014-10-14, 08:21 AM
Jace

Once the casket has been lowered Jace steps back behind it drawing his musket. Quick practiced hands load the weapon, the hope that he may not need to use it fading rapidly.

move: J20
Action: load musket

Ionbound
2014-10-14, 09:02 AM
Enora strides forwards, drawing her sword as she does, and says to the crowd, "I do not wish to fight, but if you persist, you leave me no choice, and I will show no mercy."

stack
2014-10-14, 11:07 AM
"Your foolishness will be on your own heads then. Friends, please try not to kill them." Augustin shakes his head grimly before giving a blessing. bless, +1 morale bonus applies on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and all saving throws. Once during the spell's duration, an affected creature can roll an attack roll or saving throw twice and take the higher result. The target must decide to use this ability before the first roll is attempted.

The Vagabond
2014-10-14, 11:29 AM
Wow, bearly a page in and we already have people trying to kill us.
"Self defence!" He cried, summoning a eagle into exsitance. "What do you wish in return for not ending your lives?"

Standard: Summon Creature
Move: Draw gold coins.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-14, 11:32 AM
Aredeh isn't going to strike the first blow, but if those thugs really start this, he's going to shoot for their leader.

Assuming they are indeed taking violent action,

crossbow to hit: [roll0]
to damage: [roll1]
crit confirm: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

The to hit numbers are at -1 if this counts as bright light.

♠Spade♠
2014-10-14, 05:17 PM
The group of advancing men surges forward, and swinging their farming implements. The men clearly lack any sort of training as they attack you haphazardly. In the midst of this, Aredeh's crossbow lets loose and the mob's spokesman goes down with a bolt to his face and begins to weakly thrash.

Peasant#1[roll0] vs Enora
Peasant#2[roll1] vs Enora
Peasant#3[roll2] vs Myraan
Peasant#4[roll3] vs Myraan
Peasant#5[roll4] vs Augustin
Peasant#6[roll5] vs Augustin

Smileybastard
2014-10-14, 05:27 PM
Myraan

Myraan shouts "Stop this!! This is not solving anything. The professor is not an evil man! And these villagers are not evil men!!"

Staying with Total defense.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-14, 05:59 PM
Aredeh smirks in satisfaction, seeing the leader go down. He wasn't sure he could actually hit a target like that, as he'd only ever shot at practice targets. Presumably he has a credible threat now. He reloads his crossbow and yells "Next one of you to step forward gets the same!"

Move action to reload, standard action to shoot at the first one of the unengaged guys to move forward.

To hit: [roll0]
To damage: [roll1]

Ionbound
2014-10-14, 06:00 PM
Enora shakes her head and says, "If I must fight, I must. But I will not kill." She swings her blade flat-first at the man on the edge of the line of fighters.

Attack 1, taking a -4 to deal non-lethal damage:

[roll0]
[roll1]

The Vagabond
2014-10-14, 08:48 PM
The eagle swooped into existence.
"Surrender, or he WILL disembowel you."
The eagle flies in, and goes to attack, while Isaac simply glares at another one, of the creatures, while his eagle flies up to commoner #6, and tries to disable him.

Demoralize on #5
[roll0]
Eagle attack on Commoner 6(After flying around the commoner)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nixed
2014-10-15, 08:34 AM
Jace

Curses as the first one falls and they keep coming. Jace is not a superstitious man, but nothing good can come from killing men in a cemetery. Reason and force has not seem to slow them. He takes aim and looks to pick off the one on the end before starting to move around the group and fire.

Move to F16
Attack 1 with Musket: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

stack
2014-10-15, 11:13 AM
forgotten initiative [roll0] Augustin raises his empty hands. "Put down your weapons and let me tend to your wounded man. This has gone too far already."not enough time for a proper diplomacy check. Is there a 'listen to reason you morons" check?

♠Spade♠
2014-10-17, 06:09 AM
Those hanging back continue to do so, though they look apprehensively at their fallen companion. He thrashed a few more times, then falls still with a final twitch. The group attacking you continues to do so, though you are beginning to get the impression that they are more trying to drive you away than kill you.

Peasant#1[roll0] vs Enora
Peasant#2 [roll1] vs Enora
Peasant#3 [roll2] vs Myraan
Peasant#4 [roll3] vs Myraan
Peasant#5 [roll4] vs Augustin
Peasant#6 [roll5] vs Eagle

Peasant#9 [roll6] to stabilize.

stack
2014-10-17, 11:40 AM
"Let me pass, I will help him." Augustin withdraws from the fight to try and reach the fallen man. move and cast CLW if possible, eating AOO if needed, otherwise using a withdraw action to get close to him to cast next round

roll will be ooc since I posted before I remembered to roll

raspberrybadger
2014-10-17, 12:26 PM
Aredeh continues covering the ones who haven't engaged. This is doubly important now that a healer is getting near them. He holds his crossbow steady, trying to make sure his expression is appropriately sour. That isn't a stretch outside in a graveyard with people interrupting a funeral for some stupid Ustulavian reason.

Ionbound
2014-10-17, 01:56 PM
Enora bounces a few blows off of her shield and shouts, "Let him through if you value your friend!"

The Vagabond
2014-10-17, 02:23 PM
Isaac continues to glare at the commoners, his anger a them solidifying into their chests as he slowly lowers the coffin.

The eagle continues to try to bludgeon the idiots unconscious.

Full Round: Attack
Full Round: Lower Coffin.

[roll0] +3 from statblock, -4 from Nonleathal, +2 from flanking.
[roll1] +3 from statblock, -4 from Nonleathal, +2 from flanking.
[roll2] +3 from statblock, -4 from Nonleathal, +2 from flanking.

Damage
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

♠Spade♠
2014-10-18, 12:52 AM
Augustin threads his way through the attackers, evading a couple of swipes, before arriving at the downed spokesman. He is quite clearly dead.

Peasant#5 AoO: [roll0]
Peasant#6 AoO: [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-10-18, 07:09 AM
Myraan

Myraan looks lost in this fight. His bow still on his back and blade in his hand unused. He focuses only on protecting Kendra. This land is insane.

Nixed
2014-10-18, 09:08 PM
Jace

Mutters quietly to himself as the musket jams. Seeing how they're in little danger he clears it and reloads rather than engaging in melee. Still hoping one blast might shock some sense into the mob.

Move: Spend 1 grit to quick clear
Standard: Load musket

The Vagabond
2014-10-20, 11:31 AM
The eagle continues to full attack, as Isaac continues to glare at random commoners.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

stack
2014-10-20, 11:33 AM
Augustin stands from checking the fallen man. "You bloody fools, look what your idiocy has done! You attack a group of armed strangers at a FUNERAL for no reason behind some wild rumors and now one of you is dead. Stop this madness before any more of you die." not really any action to take, specifically mentioned not wearing armor, wouldn't be carrying more than a dagger, and already cast his buff spell.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-20, 12:10 PM
Aredeh continues holding his crossbow on the group that hasn't engaged yet. He's numb from hearing about the fatality, so it's only his precommitment to fire if they make a move that keeps him doing this.

♠Spade♠
2014-10-23, 01:00 AM
The peasant being clawed by the eagle collapses in a bloody heap, and his companion moves to engage the bird. The others continue at what they have been failing at.

Peasant#1 vs Enora: [roll0]
Peasant#2 vs Enora: [roll1]
Peasnat#3 vs Myraan: [roll2]
Peasant#4 vs Myraan: [roll3]
Peasant#5 vs Eagle: [roll4]

Damage if hit: [roll5] lethal to the bird, nonlethal to everybody else.

stack
2014-10-23, 11:08 AM
Augustin crosses to the newly fallen man, not willing to have another die.if he appears to be in danger of dieing, CLW since he doesn't know stabilize

raspberrybadger
2014-10-23, 12:42 PM
Seeing the healer get close to men swinging weapons around, Aredeh calls out in a level voice "Attack the healer and you get a bolt to the face."

That's a readied action to shoot anyone attacking Augustin

The Vagabond
2014-10-23, 02:36 PM
The eagle makes a non-lethal attack again. Isaac just continues to glare.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]

Intimidate
[roll6]

Smileybastard
2014-10-23, 04:15 PM
Myraan

Growing frustrated with the whole affair he lashes out at one of his attackers.

To hit [roll0] fist
Damage [roll1] non-lethal

Nixed
2014-10-28, 09:21 AM
Jace

Following Myraan's example he shoulders his musket and moves in to try and subdue the villagers without killing any more. Moving around the front line and attempting to club one with the pommel of his sword.

Move G10
Attack1 :[roll0] (+2 flank, -4 non-lethal)
Non lethal damage: [roll1]

Ionbound
2014-10-28, 01:02 PM
Enora looks at the peasants, sighs, and says, "Please, let there be no more loss of life. Already, one of you has died pointlessly. Just let us through." However, her blade is still drawn and she's ready to attack if they make the first move.

Ready an action to attack anyone to tries to attack the party.