PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Warlock Newbie

stickypeanutz
2014-10-10, 03:16 PM
I having terrible understanding Eldritch Blast. Do you add Dex or Cha to your attack rolls and spell DC(10+Lvl+Modifier) ?

In my party we don't have a healer so I'm thinking throwing in cleric then take the Eldritch Disciple prestige class. I've never played a cleric, so gonna be interesting how things gonna come out.
I also having trouble understanding the Eldritch Disciple, do I get the specials(like the extra d6 for the blast, new invocations) and invocations as if I was just warlock?

All books under 3.5 are available to me.
My Human warlock is only lvl 2 , HP 16, Wearing Studded Leather and wielding a Mace.
The feats I have pick so far are; Fey skin, Fey power, Fey Heritage, Spell Penetration, Point blank.
My character that I'm playing stats are;
Str: 14 - 2
Dex: 17 - 3
Con: 17 - 3
Int: 16 - 3
Wis: 14 -2
Cha: 18 - 4 :smallbiggrin:

Taveena
2014-10-10, 03:18 PM
It's a standard Ranged Touch Attack, and thus - like a Ray - it's your BAB + Dex modifier + Size Mod.

macdaddy
2014-10-10, 03:23 PM
Eldritch Blast is a ranged touch attack.
Use DEX for the + to hit
Use CHR for the DC
NOTE: Firing into close combat with EB without Precise Shot applies a -4 to hit bonus on the attack roll

When you take the Eldritch Disciple class:

"Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. (This includes eldritch blast.) You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained."

So effectively, you add your Warlock and ED classes together for determining invocations known and EB damage. But you do NOT gain additional damage reduction or class abilities (like the 12th level warlock ability Imbue Item)

Marlowe
2014-10-10, 03:30 PM
Eldritch Blast's attack roll is BAB + Dex vs Target's touch AC, just like any ray. So your attack roll at level 2 is going to be 1+3+1d20.

Save DC for the Invocations that require saves is 10+invocation level+charisma bonus; so your DC for (say) Baleful Utterance would be 10+2+4=16.

With the Eldritch Disciple levels you'll get advances in Eldritch Blast and invocations known, but not other Warlock class features such as Fiendish Resilience and Deceive Item. These get replaced by the Eldritch Disciple class features.

Be aware you'll probably be wanting a wisdom-boosting item at some point. Eldritch Disciple is sweet but MAD -- It's easier for a Cleric who dabbles in Warlockery than for a Warlock who gets religion.

How did you get 5 feats at level 2? And good luck.

Venger
2014-10-10, 03:31 PM
the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265455-The-Newest-Warlock-Handbook-3-5) does a great job of explaining how to play a warlock.

stickypeanutz
2014-10-10, 03:34 PM
Eldritch Blast's attack roll is BAB + Dex vs Target's touch AC, just like any ray. So your attack roll at level 2 is going to be 1+3+1d20.

Save DC for the Invocations that require saves is 10+invocation level+charisma bonus; so your DC for (say) Baleful Utterance would be 10+2+4=16.

With the Eldritch Disciple levels you'll get advances in Eldritch Blast and invocations known, but not other Warlock class features such as Fiendish Resilience and Deceive Item. These get replaced by the Eldritch Disciple class features.

Be aware you'll probably be wanting a wisdom-boosting item at some point. Eldritch Disciple is sweet but MAD -- It's easier for a Cleric who dabbles in Warlockery than for a Warlock who gets religion.

How did you get 5 feats at level 2? And good luck.

DM has house rules.
1 for being human, 1 for being first lvl, and add int modifier

Blackhawk748
2014-10-10, 03:35 PM
"Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. (This includes eldritch blast.) You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained."

So effectively, you add your Warlock and ED classes together for determining invocations known and EB damage. But you do NOT gain additional damage reduction or class abilities (like the 12th level warlock ability Imbue Item)

Best way to think of it is like this: Eldritch Blast and your Invocations are your "Spellcasting" ability, thus when you increase you Caster level you increase you Eldritch Blast as well as they are tied together. Also Eldritch Disciple is, while generally considered inferior to Eldritch Theurge, still pretty awesome. Healing from 200 ft away is pretty awesome. From what i understand most people generally play a Glaivelock when they play a Disciple as then you can full attack heal.

It sounds like you plan on entering with the lowest Cleric lvl possible, so youll probably just use your cleric slots to buff the part or yourself. I recommend buffing the party because as a Warlock you have a bunch of 24 hour buffs.

stickypeanutz
2014-10-10, 03:36 PM
It's a standard Ranged Touch Attack, and thus - like a Ray - it's your BAB + Dex modifier + Size Mod.

Whats BAB? I'm drawling a blank.

Troacctid
2014-10-10, 03:36 PM

Base attack bonus.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-10, 03:37 PM

Base Attack Bonus

Edit: Cursed Ninjas!!

stickypeanutz
2014-10-10, 03:38 PM
Also where can I find the invocation Glaive? Dragon book? Something with a D?

Venger
2014-10-10, 03:41 PM

eldritch glaive is in "dragon magic." the invocations and where to find them are broken down in the warlock handbook. it's a good place to familiarize yourself with the basics.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-10, 03:42 PM

Dragon Magic, and i also highly recommend reading through that Handbook. Snowbluff does a great job of laying out the various Warlock builds, and its actually where i learned most of what i know of Warlocks.

Edit: Flippin Ninjas again!!

stickypeanutz
2014-10-10, 03:57 PM
Just wanted to say to all of you, Thanks for your input and guidance