PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Living Illusions, Walking Dreams, Incarnum Souls

Reality Glitch
2014-10-10, 04:13 PM
I've been tweaking this for a while now and feel it should get P.E.A.C.H.'d. I'll post the fluff a little later.

Dreamfolk can Allocate essetia into their various racial traits as described in each trait. A dreamfolk's racial traits have no essentia capacity.
Each essentia invested in a single ability score grants a +1 to that score. Even while incorporeal, dreamfolk still have all six ability scores; they retain any bounes from essetia allocated to them while incorporeal.
Dreamfolk have a +2 racial bonus to Lucid Dreaming (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,871.0.html) checks and such checks can be made as without provoking an attack of opportunity. The racial bonus increases by +1 for each essentia invested in it even if it is incorporeal and Lucid Dreaming is always a class skill for dreamfolk. As Dreamfolk don't sleep, they can only use the Lucid dreaming Skill as a dreamwalker and only into the dreams of its host, though they may jump hosts by moving between dreamscapes. Moving to the Dreamheart is as normal as the plane itself counts as a suitable host.
Dreamfolk may invest essentia into other skills for a racial bonus equal to the essentia invested into the skill, even while incorporial.
Fly 15ft. with perfect maneuverability (Hover). Each essentia invested into speed increases fly speed by +5ft., even while incorporeal. Dreamfolk do not have a base land speed.
Aberrition (Incorporeal): Dreamfolk can't be affected by things that only affect humanoids, like charm person. Unlike most aberritions do not need to breath or sleep, nor do they have darkvision nor any normal senses. They still need to eat, but only as described in their Host racial trait. They are aberritions with the incorporeal subtypes and follow all the rules for incorporeality except they are still affected by things that specifically effect incarnum. For every essentia invested into a dreamfolk's type while the False Body soulmeld is shaped, it may have an additional subtype of its choice that may not be changed until the essentia is reallocated, but none of the abilities provided by simply having that subtype. Also, while incorporeal, they have only a soul chakra.
Aberrition (Incarnum): Dreamfolk are Aberritions with the Incarnum subtype.
Aberrition (Psionic): Dreamfolk are Aberritions with the Psionic subtype.
Medium. Every 5 essentia invested in size increases or decreases it by one category.
Essentia Pool: Dreamfolk have a racial essentia pool of 3 essentia.
Naturally Psionic: Dreamfolk gain 3 additional power points.
Dreamfolk have Mindsight as a bonus feat.
Dreamfolk have telepathy 100ft. + 10ft. per essentia invested into it with any living mind regardless of language or lack there of. Dreamfolk cannot speak and thus have no language, let alone on of their own.
Psi-like Ability: Dreamfolk have Synesthete continually active as a psi-like ability. Except that it converts all normal senses into Mindsight.
Dremfolk can manifest Touchsight as a Psionic power with a manifester level equal to its total hit dice, except the sensery input from this power is also routed through it Synesthete psi-like ability.
False Body: In their natural state, dreamfolk are incorporeal clouds of pure psicarnum (psionic incarnum), but can shape a racial soulmeld called False Body. This soulmeld occupies the soul chakra, does not count towards your soulmelds shaped per day, and can be shaped even if they have no other meldshaping capability. While shaped, the dreamfolk is no longer incorporeal as the 'meld is shaped from the incarnum composing its true "body"; this grants it the other chakra slots as appropriate to the form it takes. A number of times per day equal to its constitution modifier, a dreamfolk can unshape, and later reshape, its False Body soulmeld without a "days rest". The appearance of the soulmeld is entirely up to the dreamfolk in question within the bounds of the subtype(s) granted by the allocated essentia. (If no essentia is allocated into its type, it still looks like a mass of pure incarnum, but is semi-solid and takes on the vague outline of its choosing.) This appearance may be changed at any time essentia could be reallocated, but otherwise does not use an action. They can also turn the glow of this soulmeld off or back on as a free action. While on, they have a -2 penalty to Disguise and Hide checks, but count as a dim light source.
Host: While incorporeal, a dreamfolk can take a living mind, an item capable of holding power points and/or essentia, or a plane/location with a high concentration of ambient incarnum (e.g. the Dreamheart, etc.) as a host. They must stay incorporeal while within a host. If the host is a living mind, even a willing one, the dreamfolk must make a DC (15 + total H.D. of host) will save or be ejected. While in a host they can only take mental actions and take all damage the host does before hardness and/or damage reduction is applied. They may also feed upon their host by making a will save apposed by the Host's will save; success means sustenance for a number of hours equal to the amount it succeeded the save by, at the cost of that much HP from the host. While incorporeal and without a host, a dreamfolk must make a DC (20 + H.D. + rounds incorporeal) fortitude save, failing the save deals damage equal to the amount failed by to the dreamfolk.
Dreamfolk have Three Aberration racial Hit Dice and a +1 Level adjustment.

Hit Dice: d8
Skill Points: (2 + Int Mod). Times four at first level.
Class Skills: Pick eight skills to be class skill for your Dreamfolk Paragon Class. You may not change them later.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Dreamfolk Paragons do gain proficiency in any weapons, armor, or shields; they are, however, proficient with whatever weapons/armor/shields their soulmelds take the form of.

Level
B.A.B.
Fortitude Save
Reflex Save
Will Save
Special
Soulmelds
Essentia

+3/4
+1/3
+1/3
+2-1/2
Reshape Soulmeld 1/day (minor/standard)

+1-1/2
+2/3
+2/3
+3
Quickshift

+2-1/4
+1
+1
+3-1/2
Reshape Soulmeld 2/day (immediate/move)

Reshape Soulmeld: Once per day (twice at 3rd level) a paragon dreamfolk can unshape any one soulmeld as a minor action (immediate action at 3rd level) and then later that same day shape the same or another soulmeld as a standard action (move action at 3rd level).
Quickshift: At 2nd level a dreamfolk can, a number of time per day equal to its constitution modifier, reallocate all essetia from any one receptacle to any other one receptacle as an immediate reaction. Once the receptacle reaches its capacity, any left over essentia remains in the previous receptacle. (A dreamfolk's various racial traits and each ability score are each separate receptacles.)These stats use a tweaked version of this 5e incarnum conversion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397973-Radiance-of-Chakra-for-5e-D-amp-D-(v-2-0)-(Under-New-Management)).
Ability Score Increase. You ability scores increase by the amount of essentia invested in them.
Size. You are Medium by defult.
Speed. You have a Fly speed of 15ft. with perfect maneuverablility and can hover. Every essentia you invest in your speed increases it by 5ft.
Essentia Pool. You have an essentia pool of 3.
Naturally Psionic. You have 1 Psi point.
Psionic Senses. You don't have normal senses. Instead you have truesight out to 30ft. plus 10f.t per invested essentia
Incarnum Illusion. In your natural state, you are incorporeal. In addition to following the rules for incorporality, you must also find a host while in corporeal or make a D.C. (20 + Hit dice + # of concecutive rounds incorporeal) Constitution save and you lose hit points equal to how much you failed the save by. Your racial traits have no essentia capacity.
Host. You do not need to sleep or breath. You need to eat and can only do so by making an Intelligence-check against your Host's Intelligence save. The host loses hit point equal to how mouch your check exceeds their save and you are feed for that many hours afterwards. If you fail the check, you are expelled from the host and must succeed another such check to reenter.
False Body. You add False Body to each of your classes soulmeld lists, even you couldn't otherwise shape soulmelds. It neither occupies a chakra nor can it be bound to one. False Body has an essentia capacity.
Languages. Dreamfolk don't speak. Instead they have telepathy that fade out with distance similar to normal hearing and can communicate with any living mind.

False Body
Shaped: You are no longer incorporeal, take on the appearance of any medium-sized creature or object, and have all the normal senses and capacities for speech the form you take has. Magics and Psionics effect you as if you were what you've taken to form of.
1 Essentia: You can take a small or large form.
2 Essentia: You can take a tiny or huge form.
3 Essentia: You can take a diminiative or gargantuan form.
4 Essentia: You can take a fine or Colossal form.

qazzquimby
2014-10-10, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure why there aren't other comments yet, the name alone is very enticing.

I'm not good with incarnum by any means, but this looks incredibly fun. Changing size with investments especially calls up the image of effortlessly controlling reality to tower over buildings.

Some things look unequal. 1 point per ability score, 10 points per size category, 3 points per 5ft of touchsight? I don't know how much essentia people get to play with, but either 1/ability score is too low, or the other two prices are too high, I think.

Also, if I were you, I'd make a racial class for it. I see lots of potential here.

Amechra
2014-10-10, 11:13 PM
You... do realize that the cap for investing Essentia is rather low? Like... about 5 when you're at 20th level (unless you have the right class features/magic items, in which case you can get a capacity of 8).

In other words, they can't change their size until high epic. And their ability score bonus is capped at 8 points, split between all of their ability scores.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-11, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure why there aren't other comments yet, the name alone is very enticing.

I'm not good with incarnum by any means, but this looks incredibly fun. Changing size with investments especially calls up the image of effortlessly controlling reality to tower over buildings.

Some things look unequal. 1 point per ability score, 10 points per size category, 3 points per 5ft of touchsight? I don't know how much essentia people get to play with, but either 1/ability score is too low, or the other two prices are too high, I think.

Also, if I were you, I'd make a racial class for it. I see lots of potential here.That's because size change vs. score increase vs. extended vision aren't equal effects.
You... do realize that the cap for investing Essentia is rather low? Like... about 5 when you're at 20th level (unless you have the right class features/magic items, in which case you can get a capacity of 8).

In other words, they can't change their size until high epic. And their ability score bonus is capped at 8 points, split between all of their ability scores.Each ability score is it's on receptacles, so it'd be +8 each. Other then that, I completely for got about capacity; I'll add a get around to that.

MagBas
2014-10-13, 03:40 AM
Comments:
First I love this race.
Second, I agree about racial class.
Unknown:
I don't exactly understand the illusion subtype. Can they be dispelled? Do they disappear in dead zones.
Suggestions:
1 I was wondering how you would feel if you swapped it out for psionic subtype. I find it more interesting and now feel it might be relevant with touchsight.
2 What if you half the essentia cost for size
3 maybe either for the class or just for the race make their max capacity equal to their constitution modifier. More essentia and bigger capacity at yhe same time.
4 Or maybe if you change it to psionic you can double their essentia if they are psionically focused.
Question (s):
Does their false body glow like all other incarnum soulmelds? They would get a slight disguise penalty, right?
Can they choose their looks or is it they all look like dream folk?

Reality Glitch
2014-10-13, 10:41 AM
Comments:
First I love this race. Why, thank you.
Second, I agree about racial class.The problem is, I'm not sure how to implement that. A combination of Dreamfolk do all of these things all of the time (they don't have "stages" of life and growth like humans do), and that fact that my previous attempts at a monster class didn't end well (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?336025-Experimental-Species-The-Drakin-Please-Evaluate-And-Critique-Honestly), though that may just be the species in question that time. Unless you mean a racial paragon class in which case, sure!
Unknown:
I don't exactly understand the illusion subtype. Can they be dispelled? Do they disappear in dead zones. It's supposed to work along the same line as Human, or Elf.
Suggestions:
1 I was wondering how you would feel if you swapped it out for psionic subtype. I find it more interesting and now feel it might be relevant with touchsight.Eh....I've thought about that, but "touchsight" is only there because it fits better than blindsight, and I thought I worded it so that it wasn't the power it just worked like it.
2 What if you half the essentia cost for size O.K., I can see that.
3 maybe either for the class or just for the race make their max capacity equal to their constitution modifier. More essentia and bigger capacity at yhe same time. That's actually a good idea.
4 Or maybe if you change it to psionic you can double their essentia if they are psionically focused. Eeeehhhh....I don't know, I may make dreamfolk psycarnum, but that's a maybe.
Question (s):
Does their false body glow like all other incarnum soulmelds? They would get a slight disguise penalty, right?I must have missed that part I'll add in that they can control their glow.
Can they choose their looks or is it they all look like dream folk?They can choose their look. Originally I was gonning to give them Natural Form-Transcendance Prana (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18091145&postcount=2) as a racial mythos, but gave them the ability to allocate essentia into subtype instead. Though that doesn't explicitly state anything about appearance; I should change that.

MagBas
2014-10-14, 05:35 AM
I think for balance reasons if we go for bonus capacity perhaps 1/2 their HD up to their Con modifier. 10 additional capacity by level 20 makes it possible to grow/decrease three categories. It doesn't reach the smallest or largest categories though.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-14, 09:30 AM
How high can a Con Mod get by level 20? (Discounting in-game shenanigans.)

MagBas
2014-10-15, 03:45 AM
I am no good with shenanigans. I think it is about 10 if you focus on Con. Start with 18 as stat, racial +2, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement. 31 Con equals +10 modifier.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-15, 02:20 PM
I've added a Racial Paragon Class.

Reality Glitch
2015-11-22, 12:01 PM
I've added a 5th edition version. Not sure if it's actually balanced power level-wise, though.