PDA

View Full Version : E6(and E3) Telekinetic Build

Ruethgar
2014-10-10, 06:12 PM
Telekinesis is an old character concept, but there is just something awesome about flinging things around with your mind. Unfortunately D&D doesn't do this very well, taking optimizers to even attempt to reach the power of Jean Grey (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/976801) with a 20lvl build. But I want to here what the playground can come up with for a telekinetic badass for E6, or if you are feeling up for a challenge, E3. Assume all 1st and 2nd party available, Dragon Magazine included.

MilesTiden
2014-10-10, 06:19 PM
2 levels of the ghost savage progression gets you CL 12 telekinesis once every 1d4 rounds.

icefractal
2014-10-10, 06:19 PM
Ghost template class? I think you get TK at +2 LA? So it's even possible for E3, albeit fragile.
Edit: Swordsaged.

Third level - Rogue perhaps? Get some Sneak Attack on those projectiles? Or Monk, to get Improved Grapple for better force-choking?

MilesTiden
2014-10-10, 06:27 PM
Two levels of monk, grab choke hold, two levels of whatever?

Ruethgar
2014-10-10, 06:28 PM
I think I would rather Crusader to offset that massive loss of health(not that many things could hit a ghost anyway). Any ideas that don't turn you into an undead abomination of nature?

ranagrande
2014-10-10, 06:30 PM
How about E1?

Eidolancer 1 with Ghost Hand, Poltergeist Hand, and Improved Poltergeist Hand.

MilesTiden
2014-10-10, 06:35 PM
Just a psion then? Using Telekinetic Force and Telekinetic Thrust?

Forrestfire
2014-10-10, 06:38 PM
For a pure telekinesis-focused character, I'd likely go with a Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost Template Class 2 for the base of the build, swapping the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion (for the lovely, lovely bonuses to hit and damage), and picking up Human Heritage to get immunity to Turn Undead.

Make sure to also grab Ghostly Grasp, which lets you interact with the world as if you were selectively corporeal. Since you're now a Humanoid (albeit one with lots of immunities and no Con score), you can even refluff it as someone with some sort of super-powers rather than undeadness, if you want. Not an undead abomination of nature at all, really, since you're not even Undead. :smalltongue:

Now, for the other three levels, there are a couple of pretty decent options:

Dragonfire Adept 1 will let you pick up the Draconic Knowledge invocation, which grants a +6 typeless bonus to all knowledges, and lets you use them untrained. Phenomenal with Knowledge Devotion.
Warlock 1 is similar, nabbing you Otherworldly Whispers, which gives +6 typeless to Arcana, The Planes, and Religion. Stacks with Draconic Knowledge, and at this point, lets you not care about Intelligence at all, since you've got really good bonuses otherwise (pump Cha instead, because your Telekinesis runs off it
Marshal 1 will let you grab Motivate Charisma, which adds your Charisma bonus to every Charisma check you make. You know what's a Charisma check with Telekinesis? Grapples, Trips, and Bull Rushes. You get an extra +Cha on your rolls to ruin things days.
Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2 pairs hilariously well with Marshal here, because you can Bull Rush people in any direction with Telekinesis. Slam them into the ground for 4d6 damage.
Ghost levels 3 and 4 will get you Malevolence, sacrificing HD for the ability to ride alongside someone as ablative armor but still do your fighting. Could be pretty neat.

The biggest magic item on your wishlist is going to depend on your focus. A Cleric/Warlock/DFA character focusing on Violent Thrusting at things is going to want either a way to chain a Magic Weapon spell onto a bunch of swords or something, buy a bunch of Magic Swords, or buy a Glove of Endless Javelins (my favorite here, because you can generate your 12 javelins and then launch them each time the ability refreshes). For a Dungeoncrashing combat maneuver character, your best item will be a Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion), a 4,500gp item that adds +3 to all your Charisma-based checks... like Telekinetic combat maneuvers... Actually, you should grab one of those on the other sort of character too, if you get the chance. It's really good on a Ghost, in any case.

In any case, for E6, my preferred build would probably be Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 2/Dragonfire Adept 1/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2, to get a mix of both worlds, or Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 4/Dragonfire Adept 1, for a possessor-type of character.

In E3, I'd go with Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 2 with Ghostly Grasp and Human Heritage, swapping domains out as needed. Definitely grab Knowledge Devotion, because you get at least +1 to attacks and damage, and sometimes +2 if you roll well on your check. It's pretty good, especially since you will have BAB 0, and be relying on volley attacks to actually hurt things.

Bluydee
2014-10-10, 07:21 PM
For a pure telekinesis-focused character, I'd likely go with a Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost Template Class 2 for the base of the build, swapping the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion (for the lovely, lovely bonuses to hit and damage), and picking up Human Heritage to get immunity to Turn Undead.

Make sure to also grab Ghostly Grasp, which lets you interact with the world as if you were selectively corporeal. Since you're now a Humanoid (albeit one with lots of immunities and no Con score), you can even refluff it as someone with some sort of super-powers rather than undeadness, if you want. Not an undead abomination of nature at all, really, since you're not even Undead. :smalltongue:

Now, for the other three levels, there are a couple of pretty decent options:

Dragonfire Adept 1 will let you pick up the Draconic Knowledge invocation, which grants a +6 typeless bonus to all knowledges, and lets you use them untrained. Phenomenal with Knowledge Devotion.
Warlock 1 is similar, nabbing you Otherworldly Whispers, which gives +6 typeless to Arcana, The Planes, and Religion. Stacks with Draconic Knowledge, and at this point, lets you not care about Intelligence at all, since you've got really good bonuses otherwise (pump Cha instead, because your Telekinesis runs off it
Martial 1 will let you grab Motivate Charisma, which adds your Charisma bonus to every Charisma check you make. You know what's a Charisma check with Telekinesis? Grapples, Trips, and Bull Rushes. You get an extra +Cha on your rolls to ruin things days.
Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2 pairs hilariously well with Martial here, because you can Bull Rush people in any direction with Telekinesis. Slam them into the ground for 4d6 damage.
Ghost levels 3 and 4 will get you Malevolence, sacrificing HD for the ability to ride alongside someone as ablative armor but still do your fighting. Could be pretty neat.

The biggest magic item on your wishlist is going to depend on your focus. A Cleric/Warlock/DFA character focusing on Violent Thrusting at things is going to want either a way to chain a Magic Weapon spell onto a bunch of swords or something, buy a bunch of Magic Swords, or buy a Glove of Endless Javelins (my favorite here, because you can generate your 12 javelins and then launch them each time the ability refreshes). For a Dungeoncrashing combat maneuver character, your best item will be a Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion), a 4,500gp item that adds +3 to all your Charisma-based checks... like Telekinetic combat maneuvers... Actually, you should grab one of those on the other sort of character too, if you get the chance. It's really good on a Ghost, in any case.

In any case, for E6, my preferred build would probably be Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 2/Dragonfire Adept 1/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/Martial 1, to get a mix of both worlds, or Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 4/Dragonfire Adept 1, for a possessor-type of character.

In E6, I'd go with Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 2 with Ghostly Grasp and Human Heritage, swapping domains out as needed. Definitely grab Knowledge Devotion, because you get at least +1 to attacks and damage, and sometimes +2 if you roll well on your check. It's pretty good, especially since you will have BAB 0, and be relying on volley attacks to actually hurt things.

One of your builds require 7 levels, and doesn't work in E6.

Forrestfire
2014-10-10, 07:31 PM
Note to self: don't math while tired :smallredface: (Also, I apparently spelled Marshal as Martial a bunch of times. Whee)

Ruethgar
2014-10-10, 07:56 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1/Ghost 2/Marshal 1/Fighter 2 looks fun, awesome build suggestions. So I guess you would be essentially a half ghost with Human Heritage and Ghostly Grasp... weird imagery.

Forrestfire
2014-10-10, 10:27 PM
Not that weird :smalltongue:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/129915/4004714-6096569400-33722.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFoUchg6sw)

Bluydee
2014-10-11, 09:14 AM
You can always ditch Cloistered Cleric and grab Knowledge Devotion with a feat. It's not like feats are hard to come by in E6.

Gemini476
2014-10-11, 09:25 AM
Remember, level adjustment is different in E6. It just eats into your point-buy rather than your precious, precious levels.

Feint's End
2014-10-11, 10:00 AM
Another fun option (albeit not unlimited as the ghost progression) would be wilder (does the telekinesis stuff better than a psion). With 2 wild surge + a torc or power preservation later on you look at ml 9ish. 10 with a crystal.

Maybe not as effective as the ghost but on the plus side it works with more race ideas.

Also emotionally flinging foes around sounds like fun.

Bluydee
2014-10-11, 10:12 AM
Also with the ghost build, instead of human you can pick up Illumian and pick Vaul for +1 to charisma checks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-11, 11:06 AM
In E6 level adjustment is replaced by lower ability scores, so you can have +2 worth of Ghost from the template class (which specifically counts as level adjustment (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)) without reducing how many class levels you can gain. Even if you had to take the LA normally, E6 has a hard limit on levels that grant hit dice, which level adjustment does not, so there's no limit to how much LA you can get on an E6 character apart from the pointbuy reduction. You can be a Ghost +2 and still get just as many class levels as any other character.

An alternative would be an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) (E6 replaces the +4 LA with zero point buy), grab two more Psion levels, and take Telekinetic Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticThrust.htm).

ShurikVch
2014-10-11, 11:48 AM
How about the Spellstitched template?
Wis 19+ may give you one use/day of Enlarged Telekinesis, 4 of regular Telekinesis, and, (if creator will use Sanctum Spell) 4 more uses