PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 24 hour long day is to long for a wizard

With a box
2014-10-10, 07:10 PM
is there a raw that says a day in dnd is 24 hour long?
(and I will need some tricks for sleep less and prepare more quickly)
wait. did i have to wait a day for refresh my spells? or just need an 8-hour sleep?

Troacctid
2014-10-10, 07:26 PM
If one of your party members is an elf or half-elf, you can get a teamwork benefit that allows you to enter a group trance. Everyone participating gets the full benefits of 8 hours of sleep in only 4 hours. Requires 2 weeks of training and 1 rank in concentration for all involved. (Player's Handbook II, page 161)

Squark
2014-10-10, 09:36 PM
is there a raw that says a day in dnd is 24 hour long?
(and I will need some tricks for sleep less and prepare more quickly)
wait. did i have to wait a day for refresh my spells? or just need an 8-hour sleep?

General rule is that unless stated otherwise, physics work just like they do in the real world, and campaign settings are set on Earth-like planets (although exploiting this is grounds for a thrown book to the head).

So, yes, days are 24 hours.

A wizard may prepare his allotment of spells once a day (although he can split the preparation time up if he so desires). He also needs 8 hours rest; For most creatures, that's sleep, while elves spend 4 hours in trance and then 4 hours reading, meditating, or otherwise relaxing (they can't do anything strenuous, which includes actively making skill checks), and warforged spend all 8 hours being bored.

Boci
2014-10-10, 09:38 PM
General rule is that unless stated otherwise, physics work just like they do in the real world, and campaign settings are set on Earth-like planets (although exploiting this is grounds for a thrown book to the head).

So, yes, days are 24 hours.

Technically that actually means that a day in a D&D world last as long as it takes for the planet to complete a single spin. Unless I am mistaken, nothing in our understanding of science says a day is 24 hours, just that it happens to be so on Earth.

Gemini476
2014-10-10, 09:42 PM
I think one of the settings - probably the Forgotten Realms - actually has a 30 hour day.

But that's not quite what you're after.

Invader
2014-10-10, 09:57 PM
If one of your party members is an elf or half-elf, you can get a teamwork benefit that allows you to enter a group trance. Everyone participating gets the full benefits of 8 hours of sleep in only 4 hours. Requires 2 weeks of training and 1 rank in concentration for all involved. (Player's Handbook II, page 161)

Don't you still need a full eight hours to recover spells though.

Troacctid
2014-10-10, 10:09 PM
Don't you still need a full eight hours to recover spells though.

The exact text of the ability is "Every team member gains the benefit of 8 hours of sleep after just 4 hours of meditation." That seems pretty darn clear to me.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-10-10, 10:25 PM
The exact text of the ability is "Every team member gains the benefit of 8 hours of sleep after just 4 hours of meditation." That seems pretty darn clear to me.

And the rules of spell preparation say "If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells." In addition any spells cast in the last 8 hours count against the daily limit.

Troacctid
2014-10-10, 10:46 PM
Group Trance satisfies your body's need for sleep, it doesn't remove it. No conflict.

Edit: Well, assuming you are a race that needs to sleep. If you don't need to sleep (and therefore wouldn't benefit from 8 hours of it), then you might have a problem.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-10-10, 10:54 PM
Group Trance satisfies your body's need for sleep, it doesn't remove it. No conflict.

Edit: Well, assuming you aren't a race that already doesn't need to sleep. Then you might have a problem.

I was paraphrasing read the entire passage in the PHB or SRD, there is NO ESCAPING the eight hours of rest to regain all spells. Also the feat states they meditate in the same manner as elves do. So they'd suffer the same restrictions. If they didn't it wouldn't be the same manner as elves.

aleucard
2014-10-12, 01:33 AM
I was paraphrasing read the entire passage in the PHB or SRD, there is NO ESCAPING the eight hours of rest to regain all spells. Also the feat states they meditate in the same manner as elves do. So they'd suffer the same restrictions. If they didn't it wouldn't be the same manner as elves.

Well, there's that one sleeping bag that allows casters to refresh after one hour sleeping in it, but that's both an item and can't be used consecutively.

Venger
2014-10-12, 07:22 AM
Well, there's that one sleeping bag that allows casters to refresh after one hour sleeping in it, but that's both an item and can't be used consecutively.

heward's fortifying bedroll. as you said, obnoxiously, you can't use one more often than every 48 hours (they even specified that you can't use a second fortifying bedroll, because they are dead set against the item being useful in any way) and it also specifies that any spells cast within the last 8 hours still count against you so really, it doesn't do anything at all, aside from +character lvl hit points, I guess. still a very poor trade for 3k

Darkweave31
2014-10-12, 07:47 AM
What level are you? That could go a ways to figure out what options are open to you.

Ettina
2014-10-12, 08:00 AM
I think you just need 8 hours sleep. You could just go to sleep when you run out of spells, and slowly shift more and more out of phase with the actual day/night cycle. If I were DMing, I'd probably houserule some stuff to simulate the impact that would realistically have on you (eg having to make a Concentration check to fall asleep before your normal bedtime), but it's not there by RAW as far as I know.

Rubik
2014-10-12, 06:48 PM
A wizard may prepare his allotment of spells once a day (although he can split the preparation time up if he so desires).Actually, it's divine casters that refresh once per day. Wizards do so after eight hours of rest and one of prep. Though I suppose it depends on which definition of "day" you use for "daily spells." After all, an "eight hour workday" is only eight hours.

Psionicists require eight hours of rest and one round of meditation, and can do so as many times per day as they can fit rest periods into (see: Heward's fortifying bedrolls and rings of sustenance).

unseenmage
2014-10-12, 07:59 PM
Like most problems this one can be solved with Magic Items. The Spellclock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) to be exact. It'll cast that pesky spell every hour on the hour and that's with the conservative reading.

More seriously, I know it's sidestepping the issue of 8 hr rests etc but seriously, that's what Magic Items are for. Potions, Wands, Staffs, etc are there to grant players access to more spells than the Wizard/Cleric/Druid have slots.

Sorry it's not exactly the solution asked for but it is still a solution, and a cheap one in the case of partially charged wands.

Rubik
2014-10-12, 08:23 PM
Sorry it's not exactly the solution asked for but it is still a solution, and a cheap one in the case of partially charged wands.Only if you're a monk.

Giacomo is never going to live that one down. Ever.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-12, 08:23 PM
heward's fortifying bedroll. as you said, obnoxiously, you can't use one more often than every 48 hours (they even specified that you can't use a second fortifying bedroll, because they are dead set against the item being useful in any way) and it also specifies that any spells cast within the last 8 hours still count against you so really, it doesn't do anything at all, aside from +character lvl hit points, I guess. still a very poor trade for 3k
It means the spellcaster can take their turn at night watch duty, rather than being a sponge on the noncasting members of the adventuring party.

Darkweave31
2014-10-12, 08:33 PM
IF your problem is being under constant attack, you could always pull off the old Rope Trick (it's a 2nd level spell) in order to have a safe place to rest.