PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arcane Duelist

ImaDeadMan
2014-10-10, 11:54 PM
I heard some good things about a class called Arcane Duelist but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I saw that it was on the WotC website but when I went to look at it, the page had been taken down. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I'm really interested in knowing the specifics of the class for a character idea I have.

Nihilarian
2014-10-11, 12:10 AM
Here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) The class isn't that great, though.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 12:24 AM
Here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) The class isn't that great, though.

Looking at it, it should be either 3/4s or Full BaB, and why doesnt it advance casting? like at all?

Seerow
2014-10-11, 12:29 AM
Looking at it, it should be either 3/4s or Full BaB, and why doesnt it advance casting? like at all?

The whole flavor of the class is being a terrible fighter who fakes it through use of minor magical abilities.

That said, if it gave even half or 3/4 casting progression, I'd like it a lot more.

Anlashok
2014-10-11, 12:35 AM
If anyone says anything nice about "Arcane Duelist" they're probably referring to the Pathfinder Bard ACF.

Nihilarian
2014-10-11, 12:38 AM
The reason it has half BAB is because Enchant Chosen Weapon is supposed to make up the difference (it doesn't, because the weapon is still capped at +10). It doesn't get spellcasting progression because it's not really a caster class.

With some finagling you can make something work, though. Due to the wording, the enchantment should work fine even on weapons explicitly disallowed from being further enchanted, so it could possibly make an interesting finish to a Shadow Sentinel Build. For that matter, you may be able to choose Unarmed Strikes as your chosen weapon, so it could be interesting for monk builds.

My favorite use of it, though, is to go (whatever) 8/Arcane Duelist 2/Legacy Champion 10 to get all the classes abilities on a reasonable chassis. You can even swing +16 BAB with this method.

Or you can use Cleric as your base (with an arcane dip) and stop worrying about BAB altogether.

ImaDeadMan
2014-10-11, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to tweak the class a bit to give it some more power because it's a little underwhelming right now

Eslin
2014-10-11, 12:56 AM
So long as you're getting divine power from somewhere, it's pretty strong for the first 3 levels. Cha to AC is nice, and dextrous attack means power attack no longer has any cost at all - take a two handed weapon, -5 attack for +10 damage. With arcane duelist, take +5 attack for -5 damage. The net result is a flat +5 attack, and there are a lot of ways to boost power attack.