PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a Native-American Thief more powerful

Atsull
2014-10-11, 12:04 AM
I've made a native american inspired thief for a PbP game, and I was wondering if you guys would give me ideas for optimization.

Character needs:

5 levels of rogue, and nothing else. (we'll be starting at level 5.)

He must use a handaxe in someway, whether or not that means a martial weapon proficiency feat. part of his backstory.

He gets bracers of strength +2 to begin with.

Abilities: STR: 12(10+2 bracers) DEX: 15 CON: 10 WIS: 9 INT: 12 CHA: 12

He's wellspoken, loyal, and fierce in combat when his allies are in danger.

1500 GP to start.

You can use any item from the GM's handbook or the Player's handbook, with the listed price (or calculated, for most magic items).

What would you do to make him as fierce in straight-up combat as possible? I want him to be as strong as possible even when not sneaking.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 12:09 AM
Hmmm, honestly when i think "Native American Thief" i was actually thinking Ranger, but Rogue works too obviously. You may want to look at Dread Commando, it gives you Sudden Strike (yes not as awesome as Sneak Attack, but you get full BaB) and it increases your allies Init and you may want to use the Wilderness Rogue variant.

Otherwise i recommend standard TWF Rogue and carry several hand axes, so you can alternate between throwing and chopping.

Atsull
2014-10-11, 12:13 AM
Hmmm, honestly when i think "Native American Thief" i was actually thinking Ranger, but Rogue works too obviously. You may want to look at Dread Commando, it gives you Sudden Strike (yes not as awesome as Sneak Attack, but you get full BaB) and it increases your allies Init and you may want to use the Wilderness Rogue variant.

Otherwise i recommend standard TWF Rogue and carry several hand axes, so you can alternate between throwing and chopping.

I can't change classes. More than anything, this is about spending the little gp i was given and getting feats. The idea is my character ran away from his noble home because his family was being arrested. he was taught by an older pickpocket in the nearest large city.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 12:17 AM
I can't change classes. More than anything, this is about spending the little gp i was given and getting feats. The idea is my character ran away from his noble home because his family was being arrested. he was taught by an older pickpocket in the nearest large city.

Ah ok, so standard Rogue here, so TWF, maybe Quick Draw so you can chuck an axe at someone and grab another one. Any PrC that you think your gonna go in to?

Astralia123
2014-10-11, 12:19 AM
This is difficult as the fastest way to power up a rogue in stand battle is to give him a polearm.

You have got you stat decided, too.

Maybe you can buy something from MIC to give you temporary hp.

Anlashok
2014-10-11, 12:22 AM
You don't have your int listed.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-11, 12:23 AM
I know you want 5 levels of Rogue, but is there any reason you aren't open to early-on dips? Scout 3/Rogue X with Swift Ambusher can really lay down the melee damage, especially with TWF.

Atsull
2014-10-11, 12:27 AM
Ah ok, so standard Rogue here, so TWF, maybe Quick Draw so you can chuck an axe at someone and grab another one. Any PrC that you think your gonna go in to?

Dread Commando is pretty cool, so I might take that later. It's gotta be standard thief at the beginning, though.

Astralia123
2014-10-11, 12:40 AM
Basically, the best way for him is to become a flanker, so you will need to improve his surviving capability in combat. Improved feint is also a way to perform sneak attack when stand face-to-face with your enemy. So as Improved Diversion from Complete Adventurer.
A buckler may help you a lot especially when combined with feats.
Combat reflex may also come in handy if you have that much chance to perform attack of opportunity.

Some other feat may be useful, like Staggerings Strike from CAd.

Anyway your options are quite limited...

Edit: even more limited by now as you can't select combat expertise. Anyway keep Staggering Strike in mind, you don't have to give up sneak attack to get its effect anyway, and it really "limits" your enemy, restricting their actions per turn.

Atsull
2014-10-11, 12:42 AM
You don't have your int listed.

Thanks for telling me. Fixing it now.

Atsull
2014-10-11, 12:44 AM
I know you want 5 levels of Rogue, but is there any reason you aren't open to early-on dips? Scout 3/Rogue X with Swift Ambusher can really lay down the melee damage, especially with TWF.

I really can't. These aren't my rules.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 12:48 AM
I really can't. These aren't my rules.

Well you could take 3 levels of Scout before you go into Dread Commando as you need +5 BaB which the 3 lvl of Scout will give you, then you can take Swift Ambusher, and then go into Dread Commando and have all three precision damage types

Azoth
2014-10-11, 06:03 AM
Are you completely limited to core for feat selection? If so there isn't all too much to really grab as a rogue.

If not, look into being a Wilderness Rogue from Unearthed Arcana (can be found on the SRD). It nabs you some good skills to help with the whole native american feel.

As for feats...

Human:TWF
1ST: Darkstalker
3RD: Improved Initiative

Go first, from stealth, and smash someone somewhere it hurts.

Also a fairly solid build for the Native American Thief with your requirements could be:

Wilderness Rogue5(snag the lvl3 ACF that gives half SA to immune targets you flank)/Barbarian1(Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy ACFS)/Dread Commando5(concealment in natural terrain ACF)/Nightsong Enforcer9.

18BAB, relatively good saves, always a way to full attack.

Only downside is that it eats 2 bad feats(dodge+mobility) and 1 okay one (improved initiative).

Mobility armor enhancement can help remove one feat req. Gloves of the Balanced Hand will give you ITWF and little need to go for GTWF.