PDA

View Full Version : D20 total conversion - interested?

Ceres
2007-03-16, 09:17 AM
I have been gamemastering roleplayinggames for six years now, and have built up an extensive amount of homebrew rules. I have been thinking of adding them to a homebrew-forum for quite some time now, but I'm afraid the system is so extensively modified that you can't really call it D20 anymore.

I want to know if anyone on this forum is interested in a version of D20 with almost every single rule modified (usually quite heavily), and if this is the right forum to post an entire new role-playing system (which it can probably be called). If not I would like to know about other rpg-forums where it will fit better.

Changes include:
- No more classes or levels.
- Character creation system based on point-buy for every aspect of your character.
- Completely new initiative-system which get rid of 6-second rounds in favor of 1-second "shots" (similar to Feng Shui)
- Damage system for hitting spesific body parts, bleeding, broken bones etc.
- Completely new magic-system based on "true names" (inspired by the Earthsea triology) and mana.
- New abilities, including parrying, dodging, new armour and weapon rules etc.

I guess a few of the custom rules can be used without using the others, and some more can be used alone with some modifications. However, most of them build on other custom rules, and it can be hard to pick and choose. The system is also not heavily focused on balance, and is very easy to "sploit" if your players are munchkins. In my setting the rules have given:

- More cinematic combat
- More realism
- Explanations for how magic works

at the cost of game pacing, though this improves as players get used to the system.

So, are anyone interested? The rules are quite extensive, and I don't want to use hours to write it all down if noone wants to use them, so please post a reply if this sounds like something to use in your setting. If you have any questions, please ask.

I apologise for my poor English, as I am Norwegian. If I have made any serious mistakes, please point them out, as this is the only way I'll learn.

Cheers :smallsmile:

Ceres

MagFlare
2007-03-16, 09:25 AM
It sounds a.) very interesting and b.) quite a bit like GURPS. By all means post it.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-16, 10:33 AM
Yes, please do.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-16, 10:56 AM
(Bold is my comments)

I have been gamemastering roleplayinggames for six years now, and have built up an extensive amount of homebrew rules. I have been thinking of adding them to a homebrew-forum for quite some time now, but I'm afraid the system is so extensively modified that you can't really call it D20 anymore.

I want to know if anyone on this forum is interested in a version of D20 with almost every single rule modified (usually quite heavily), and if this is the right forum to post an entire new role-playing system (which it can probably be called). If not I would like to know about other rpg-forums where it will fit better.

Changes include:

This would be nice if implemented right, though if not, it could ruin a long-term game. IMO, the main flaw of the Werewolf: The Apocalypse was that after the characters progressed, you had no way to measure the approximate strength of the encounters you should throw at them.

- Character creation system based on point-buy for every aspect of your character.

This is nice, though a little unrealistic. Some stats depend on others, and if generated seperately a character with a ridiculously high DEX could become a complete klutz every time he/she tries to tumble.

- Completely new initiative-system which get rid of 6-second rounds in favor of 1-second "shots" (similar to Feng Shui)

I like this a lot, but I'm hesitant about it because it has the potential to destroy pacing, unless attacks are made a lot more lethal.

This is great. I've always liked the idea of this a lot.

- Completely new magic-system based on "true names" (inspired by the Earthsea triology) and mana.

Ooh, fancy sounding names instead of boring things like Acid Fog? An easy to use mana system? (I assume this could be likened to MP in the Final Fantasy games.) I like the sound of this.

Sounds good. I always thought this kind of stuff could've been a lot better in D&D. I liked how it was done in the A Game of Thrones RPG.

I guess a few of the custom rules can be used without using the others, and some more can be used alone with some modifications. However, most of them build on other custom rules, and it can be hard to pick and choose. The system is also not heavily focused on balance, and is very easy to "sploit" if your players are munchkins. In my setting the rules have given:

- More cinematic combat
- More realism
- Explanations for how magic works

at the cost of game pacing, though this improves as players get used to the system.

So, are anyone interested? The rules are quite extensive, and I don't want to use hours to write it all down if noone wants to use them, so please post a reply if this sounds like something to use in your setting. If you have any questions, please ask.

I apologise for my poor English, as I am Norwegian. If I have made any serious mistakes, please point them out, as this is the only way I'll learn.

Cheers :smallsmile:

Ceres

This sounds very interesting. Please post it.

Ceres
2007-03-16, 11:05 AM
Well, feedback sounds good so far. I'll wait for a bit more people to show interest before I start, though, as it will take me a lot of time to write down. Keep 'em coming :smallsmile:

Neek
2007-03-16, 11:28 AM
I'm quite interested. I don't have much to say since I don't know how you accomplished what you have, and I don't want to ruin any expectations.

jjpickar
2007-03-16, 11:33 AM
Its about time someone did this. I throw my support whole heartedly behind this project.

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-16, 11:36 AM
Absolutely. I think a lot of people (myself included) have been looking to make modifications to the D20 system, and would love to see how other people have done it.

Ceres
2007-03-16, 12:42 PM
On Doctor. Weird's comments

This would be nice if implemented right, though if not, it could ruin a long-term game. IMO, the main flaw of the Werewolf: The Apocalypse was that after the characters progressed, you had no way to measure the approximate strength of the encounters you should throw at them.

It is true that measuring the encounter level is harder. Many aspects of my system requires an active and informed DM. You should always have the player's character-sheets in front of you when writing an adventure. I have played with these particular rules for about three years, and they work fine for me.

This is nice, though a little unrealistic. Some stats depend on others, and if generated seperately a character with a ridiculously high DEX could become a complete klutz every time he/she tries to tumble.

Stats still depend on others in my system, possibly even more so than in standard D20. For instance, how expensive it is for you to put ranks in tumble depends on how high your intelligence and dexterity scores are.

I like this a lot, but I'm hesitant about it because it has the potential to destroy pacing, unless attacks are made a lot more lethal.

It is true that it slows down pacing, and this is, in my eyes, the biggest flaw of my system. But, yes. Attacks are a LOT more lethal because of my custom damage-system, and this helps a bit, though large-scale combat can take quite a bit longer than in standard D20

This is great. I've always liked the idea of this a lot.

Thanks :) No more "you get hit for 12 damage", but keep on fighting unaffected. In my system it's more like "you get hit for 12 piercing-damage in the chest. Your lung is pierced, and you take D3 Con-damage. Roll fortitude for stun." Heh, this can also slow don the pacing, I'm afraid. But boy, is it fun :)

Ooh, fancy sounding names instead of boring things like Acid Fog? An easy to use mana system? (I assume this could be likened to MP in the Final Fantasy games.) I like the sound of this.

Hmm, I don't think it's that close to FF, but possibly more so than D20. This system is very complex and setting-based, though, and not required for the other rules.

Sounds good. I always thought this kind of stuff could've been a lot better in D&D. I liked how it was done in the A Game of Thrones RPG.

Haven't played that. You'll have to wait and see.

Matthew
2007-03-16, 07:53 PM
The thing about this sort of thing is that it has been done before and slightly differently each time to suit particular tastes. Many of the changes you propose sound potentially good, some sound potentially bad. I think everybody will be interested to see what you have done.