PDA

View Full Version : Tome Of Battle Questions

Desiani
2014-10-11, 10:16 AM
Edit: This is for a Pathfinder game. Path of war is the only PDF I can't find to download on the net so I can't look at it vs Tome of Battle. Plus I've heard bad things about from the local community and posts on here o.o

I am looking at the tome of battle for my next character and I have a few questions regarding the three base classes.

The first being on maneuver replenishment. From what I understand the Crusader just has to use all his maneuvers so he gets 2 granted ones back and his rotation begins anew. The war blade just has to use a swift action after a normal attack or spend a standard action doing nothing.

The swords age is the one I don't really understand. I understand they have the most learned/readied maneuvers of the three but the have to spend a full round a action to get ONE maneuver back... Now I may be weird, and the only one, about this but this is a big turn off for me about the Swordsage. Is there a reason for such a big sacrifice in order to only get one move back?

I am interested in the Stone Dragon (can't remember full name) and the Master of Nine PrCs, mainly because they are both 5 levels and I could take both if I can be bothered to nitpick maneuver selection for the first 10 or so Sword Sage levels.

Does anyone have any views about these two PrCs? I would like peoples opinions about them.

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-11, 10:28 AM
Path of War can be purchased here (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/135308/Path-of-War?term=path+of+war). :smallsmile:

Prime32
2014-10-11, 11:03 AM
The swords age is the one I don't really understand. I understand they have the most learned/readied maneuvers of the three but the have to spend a full round a action to get ONE maneuver back... Now I may be weird, and the only one, about this but this is a big turn off for me about the Swordsage. Is there a reason for such a big sacrifice in order to only get one move back?Not in particular. Almost every swordsage player takes the Adaptive Style feat (re-ready your maneuvers as a full-round action) to get around it.

Conceptually, swordsages are used to fighting in specific patterns and stumble when they can't follow them. Crusaders are the opposite, who have minimal training and just follow their instincts. Warblades are a middle ground, who make their own opportunities.

Troacctid
2014-10-11, 11:38 AM
Crusaders actually don't need to use all their maneuvers to refresh them. Once all of them have been granted, they refresh automatically whether they've been used or not.

Aegis013
2014-10-11, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have any views about these two PrCs? I would like peoples opinions about them.

Deepstone Sentinel and The Master of Nine are both OK PrCs. Neither of them are spectacular, but neither of them are actually bad.

Deepstone Sentinel gives you some nice Stone Dragon school related goodies. Unfortunately, those goodies suffer from the same problems the Stone Dragon school itself does: they're pretty much only functional when you're on the ground (a very serious problem in high level play), and a lot of the time, it is problematic to utilize them and move in the same round.

The Master of Nine seems like a really appealing class. It has pretty good class features, butt loads of maneuvers and stances coming to you, and access to all of the schools. All great things. The problem is that the entry requirements are so steep. If you don't have an abundance of feats and skills points, the cost to get in will often equalize the benefit you gain to almost nothing.

Anlashok
2014-10-11, 12:47 PM
Plus I've heard bad things about from the local community and posts on here o.o
What exactly are these bad things?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-11, 12:47 PM
For the record, Path of War is on the Pathfinder SRD. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war)