PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Picking Some Feats for a Minion - Awaken Undead Edition

unseenmage
2014-10-11, 10:45 AM
I need some feats for an 18 HD Zombie Octopus. Was a warbeast before it was a zombie, that's why the extra HD. The Poisonous template was assigned randomly for fun. This is for a large size ECL 8 character who only has five levels of Cleric and zero modifiers to every physical stat.

Am also curious if the Awakened zombie octopus regains all of its special attacks and qualities or not.

lastly I'm having trouble figuring what weight a zombie giant octopus would have. It's not critical but is is irritating not to know.

Having someone check my work wouldn't hurt either. Feels like I'm messing some details up somewhere or another.

Ripper, the Zombie Octopus
Awakened(SC21) Corpsecrafted(LM25) Zombie(SRD) Warbeast(MM2pg219) Poisonous Creature(Dr350pg35) Giant Octopus(SRD)
Size/Type: Large Undead (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 18d12+39 (147 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft., swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+22
Attack: Tentacle +18 melee (1d4+9)
Full Attack: 8 tentacles +18 melee (1d4+9) and bite +6 melee (1d8+5) or Slam +6 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: octopus attacks?, Necrotic Poison (Ex): Injury (bite), Initial damage: 1d4 Con, Secondary damage: 1d2 Con, Save DC 19 (Con based).
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction (Ex): A zombie has damage reduction 5/slashing.
Single Actions Only (Ex): Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.
Undead traits and Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +11
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 13, Con --, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: (18SP) Escape Artist +17, Hide+11, Swim +23
Feats: (7 feats) Toughness b, Multigrab (SK146), Large and in Charge (Dr71),
Challenge Rating: 5
Corpsecrafted:
Corpsecrafter (LM25) Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points per Hit Die.
Nimble Bones (LM29) Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +4 bonus on initiative checks and a 10-foot increase to its base land speed.
Awakened: Awakened undead gain a +2 profane bonus on their Will saving throws to resist control undead. Awakened undead also gain +2 turn resistance
Skills:
A giant octopus can change colors, giving it a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. A giant octopus also can squeeze and contort its body, giving it a +10 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. A giant octopus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
Carrying Capacity: L: 1,398 lbs. M: 2,799 lbs. H: 4,200 lbs. D: 21,000 lbs.
Market Price: 775gp plus a 450gp black onyx gem (negated via use of Fell Animate) and 25gp in silver dust for Desecrate (srd) spell plus a 2,900gp Scroll of Awaken Undead (SC21).
beached dead octopus:
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03befe992426.jpg
octopus overland movement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dbcEeiYzNl4#t=39

ShurikVch
2014-10-11, 04:53 PM
Awaken Undead sets Ripper's Int on 2.
How about extra scroll of Vile Death (http://dndtools.eu/spells/heroes-of-horror--70/vile-death--1428/)?

EDIT: Are you mean Awaken as "Awaken Undead", or as regular Awaken pre-death?
If first, then I stay correct
If second, then how much Int it had in life?

Jeff the Green
2014-10-11, 06:42 PM
Well, being an octopus without access to full attacks sucks. So maybe Undead Meldshaper, Shape Soulmeld (sphinx claws), and Open Lesser Chakra (arms).

unseenmage
2014-10-12, 01:50 AM
Awaken Undead sets Ripper's Int on 2.
How about extra scroll of Vile Death (http://dndtools.eu/spells/heroes-of-horror--70/vile-death--1428/)?

EDIT: Are you mean Awaken as "Awaken Undead", or as regular Awaken pre-death?
If first, then I stay correct
If second, then how much Int it had in life?

Well the octopus was purchased pre-undeath as a Warbeast creature. Guess it could be awakened prior to being slain. The character's UMD is +15 and he's a level 5 Cleric if that helps; could he activate a scroll of Awaken? Could Awaken the thing, then kill it via Fell Animate.

Would likely need to run all this past the DM but it could work.

The Viscount
2014-10-12, 10:15 PM
Awaken does grant any Ex special attacks and qualities the undead had in life.

Lifesense is always fun if you think it's going to be a campaign with lots of hiding enemies.

Extended reach is beautiful, it just tacks on 5 more feet of reach, and octopus definitely qualifies.

unseenmage
2014-10-12, 11:04 PM
Awaken does grant any Ex special attacks and qualities the undead had in life.

Lifesense is always fun if you think it's going to be a campaign with lots of hiding enemies.

Extended reach is beautiful, it just tacks on 5 more feet of reach, and octopus definitely qualifies.

This answer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18243750&postcount=823) in the RAW Q&A thread says otherwise. I don't know which is right.
Would someone mind walking me through which is which and why?

Cha is way too low for Lifesense.

Liking Extended Reach.

ShurikVch
2014-10-13, 07:27 AM
If Int is above 2, then maybe Martial Study? Say, Shadow Stride...

The Viscount
2014-10-13, 03:30 PM
This answer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18243750&postcount=823) in the RAW Q&A thread says otherwise. I don't know which is right.
Would someone mind walking me through which is which and why?

There's no disagreement here. The above answer is quoting the spell more directly, whereas I translated into more well known terms. The spell says that it restores extraordinary racial abilities (not a defined term to the best of my knowledge). The two examples it gives are scent (a special quality) and poison (a special attack). Thus I said that you get back all Ex special qualities and attacks. The quoted text simply says you gain all racial abilities, saying that because the base creature is an octopus with no class levels, all it has are racial abilities.

unseenmage
2014-10-13, 03:55 PM
There's no disagreement here. The above answer is quoting the spell more directly, whereas I translated into more well known terms. The spell says that it restores extraordinary racial abilities (not a defined term to the best of my knowledge). The two examples it gives are scent (a special quality) and poison (a special attack). Thus I said that you get back all Ex special qualities and attacks. The quoted text simply says you gain all racial abilities, saying that because the base creature is an octopus with no class levels, all it has are racial abilities.

Apologies. It would seem in my sleep deprived stupor I read your response as saying 'does not' rather than what you actually typed.
Thanks for the clarification regardless.