PDA

View Full Version : Cohort + Monstrous Companion (Beast Heart Adept)

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 02:40 PM
In trying to power this little bugger up, I can't seem to think of anything that would do the job aside from Leadership. I really want there to be another way, as it has to be a Worg, and I don't see any other way of getting a Worg aside from Leadership or Beast Heart Adept, but I'm not even sure if I could even make my Monstrous Companion into my cohort the way it stands.

I really just want this bugger to have the chance of reaching 20 HD. I don't care how it's done, aside from misinterpreting the rules, but I just feel like BHA needs more love for its other choices of magical beasts besides the obviously powerful ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The various handbooks and other topics seem to mention either shifty rule interpretations or choosing the naturally powerful companions first.

Troacctid
2014-10-11, 02:49 PM
You can also get a Worg with Improved Familiar.

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 03:00 PM
You can also get a Worg with Improved Familiar.

Hm. Can you think of any casting classes that have a full BAB, preferably base classes but prestige as well? Doesn't have to be a class that gains a familiar naturally (thanks to Obtain Familiar), but Hexblade is about the only thing I know that may work, and... ugh, Hexblades.

ranagrande
2014-10-11, 03:09 PM
Duskblade might be a good choice.

Troacctid
2014-10-11, 03:09 PM
Duskblade. Full BAB, d8 hit die, two good saves.

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 03:32 PM
Alright, now here's my last problem, which is a strange one: if I'm going to obtain a Worg through caster levels, and let's say Duskblade, I want to commit to making sure that I maintain the ability to eventually cast my highest level spells at all times. Along with all of this, I want to Smite Evil.

Aside from Holy Scourge, are there any other sources of Smite Evil that would continue my casting progression?

If Holy Scourge if the only option, are there any effective ways of increasing the number of Smites per day?

Totally off-topic questions by the way, but I figured I'd ask!

ranagrande
2014-10-11, 03:48 PM
The Extra Smiting feat give two extra smite attempts per day, and it can be taken multiple times.

Troacctid
2014-10-11, 03:55 PM
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) gets you a domain granted ability. Pick the Destruction domain for a 1/day smite.

Sapphire Smite gives you an additional smite per day for each essentia invested, as well as increasing smite damage by the same amount.

ranagrande
2014-10-11, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately though, you cannot be a Holy Scourge and have a Worg familiar. Holy Scourge requires you to be good, but Improved Familiar for the Worg requires you to be evil or true neutral.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately though, you cannot be a Holy Scourge and have a Worg familiar. Holy Scourge requires you to be good, but Improved Familiar for the Worg requires you to be evil or true neutral.

While this is true, talk to your DM about it as they may just handwave that away. Personally i wouldnt enforce it, mainly because ive always seen familiars as a reflection of the caster's soul, and in your character's case that reflection is a massive angry wolf creature.

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 04:50 PM
Gah. Yeah, that's a huge oversight.

I guess I'll have to find Smite attacks in more limited ways. I can't get any handwaving in this case, otherwise I'm back to BHA.

ShurikVch
2014-10-11, 05:11 PM
Andras, the Grey Knight - 4th level vestige (from ToM).
Allow to use Smite Evil (or Smite Good) every 5 rounds
Duskblade 5/Binder 1 (Improved Binding)/Anima Mage 4 - you can bind Andras, have CL 9 and BAB 7

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 05:19 PM
Andras, the Grey Knight - 4th level vestige (from ToM).
Allow to use Smite Evil (or Smite Good) every 5 rounds
Duskblade 5/Binder 1 (Improved Binding)/Anima Mage 4 - you can bind Andras, have CL 9 and BAB 7

You, sir, are the man. I forgot all about Andras.

Edit: I am confused by your math, though. Improved Binding nets a +2, which would allow me to be EBL 3, so I could summon level 2 Vestiges. Even if I get 3 levels of Bloodline, that still only gets me up to summoning 3rd level Vestiges. Where are you getting that I can summon Andras with just IB and Binder 1?

Edit 2: Nevermind, you're just pushing me up to the prerequisites for Anima Mage. Duh. Thanks again! I suppose I can work in some Tenebrous to get some delicious turn attempts, too...

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 06:18 PM
Edit 2: Nevermind, you're just pushing me up to the prerequisites for Anima Mage. Duh. Thanks again! I suppose I can work in some Tenebrous to get some delicious turn attempts, too...

If your gonna do that, snag a Devotion feat you like, free use every 5 rounds is wonderful.

Kevingway
2014-10-11, 06:26 PM
If your gonna do that, snag a Devotion feat you like, free use every 5 rounds is wonderful.

Yup. I like Travel Devotion, but I just realized that Tenebrous Apostate doesn't have the same sort of casting adaptation that I thought something else must have had. So eh.

Playing around with the system a bit, though. This is going to be one trippy Blue (Goblin).

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 06:31 PM
Yup. I like Travel Devotion, but I just realized that Tenebrous Apostate doesn't have the same sort of casting adaptation that I thought something else must have had. So eh.

Playing around with the system a bit, though. This is going to be one trippy Blue (Goblin).

You were probably thinking of Anima Priest (divine Anima Mage) but there is no reason why you couldnt have an Arcane Tenebrous Apostate, i mean Dread Necro is arcane but they can qualify for it. Hell Tenebrous would prbly LOVE them