PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a system

Ravian
2014-10-11, 03:28 PM
Hey everybody, I've got a game in mind but I'm looking for a system to support it. I'm sort of debating between True20, Dragon Age RPG, Savage Worlds, or WHFRP

What I'm hoping for in this game:

Ease for Homebrewing: No matter what I pick, I'm likely going to have to build a lot of the game elements from scratch, so any system with a structure encouraging for homebrewing is a plus.

Broad classes, smaller specialties: I would generally be fine with a system that incorporated fairly general roles, but with more specific paths within those roles. Sort of like Dragon Age's Warrior, Rogue, Mage classes, with the added benefit of choosing one of numerous different specialties within those roles. I would also be fine with a classless system, so long as the specialties could be easily seen through other options. WHFRP's branching paths for classes are also a possibility.

Different Magic Systems: In general I want magic to be a force with a common source but a variety of ways to access it. Thus I would prefer a system with a semi-structured to loose approach to magic, which would allow me to easily homebrew the different systems. Savage Worlds's broad powers and trappings would be a good approach, or it could be accompanied with the specialties, since most of these systems would probably be incorporated through these specific paths.

Potential for Weird Races: I'm hoping to make race and class both potentially very significant choices in the game. Many of the specialties I'm hoping to be race specific, and some of the races I have planned include automatons, dragonmen, and life-sucking armor-bound undead. I know that Savage Worlds has the mechanics for building your own races, which seem to have the sorts of flexibility I'm looking for.

Structure: I'm fairly loose in my playstyle, but I still prefer systems with a good number of rules. As far as I know none of the examples I listed are incredibly freeform like something like FATE. But I wanted it known that I prefer a fairly rule-based systems.

I'm not incredibly familiar with any of these systems, so I wanted some outside opinions on it. What do you guys think best suits these parameters? Or are there any other systems I've overlooked that may work better?

Sidmen
2014-10-12, 11:55 AM
If you're already planning on homebrewing a bunch of stuff, might I direct you toward the HERO 5e system. I recommend nabbing the basic rules instead of the full rulebooks - because the ladder is quite ... cumbersome for a first-time learner.

It's a very mechanically robust system, with tons of optional rules that you can either use or lose. But it's greatest benefit is that it more-or-less just offers you a bunch of tools to build your own mechanical effects. You can build three competing magic systems using limitations and various types of power frameworks. Want a Sorcerer who is defined by only a few words (like, say "fire and smoke")? You can do that - and using the system they will be able to come up with their spells on the fly so long as they relate somehow to their core. Want rigidly defined spells that must be memorized every morning and can only be cast 1/day - you can do that. Want someone who channels magic through his weapons, who must learn new styles that take months to master? You can do that.

Granted, you do have to learn the mechanics of the game, then impose your vision on it to get anything good. Everything is point based - so a Wizard's 1/day spells will be more-or-less balanced with the Sorcerer's free-form magics, which are more-or-less balanced with the Swordsage's special techniques.

Arbane
2014-10-12, 03:28 PM
If you're already planning on homebrewing a bunch of stuff, might I direct you toward the HERO 5e system. I recommend nabbing the basic rules instead of the full rulebooks - because the ladder is quite ... cumbersome for a first-time learner.

HERO is indeed about as customizable as an RPG gets - it was designed as a superhero system and as a result can create just about ANY character. If you'd prefer to stuck with d20-based systems, Mutants and Masterminds has a similar level of customizability, is d20-based, and (in my opinion) has less bean-counting than HERO. There's even a supplement out for specifically doing fantasy adventures.

Jacob.Tyr
2014-10-12, 03:35 PM
HERO is indeed about as customizable as an RPG gets - it was designed as a superhero system and as a result can create just about ANY character. If you'd prefer to stuck with d20-based systems, Mutants and Masterminds has a similar level of customizability, is d20-based, and (in my opinion) has less bean-counting than HERO. There's even a supplement out for specifically doing fantasy adventures.

Going to second M&M here. You pretty much just need to do the setting, and then let them build their character within it. The Hero Lab program also makes it incredibly easy to figure out character building, just use the demo version to mock up a character and write down the build at the end (no saving/printing in the demo).