PDA

View Full Version : At last, the secret to balancing casters revealed!

Talakeal
2014-10-11, 05:10 PM
{scrubbed}

Bluydee
2014-10-11, 05:17 PM
Genius! However did he figure it out!?

Karnith
2014-10-11, 05:19 PM
Of course! I should have known that it was only the low-level spells that were broken!
So much time wasted!
Did you ask him why spells like, say, Cone of Cold (analogue: Fireball) or Sleep (analogue: Color Spray) missed the cut?

Feint's End
2014-10-11, 05:35 PM
Just one word describes this act: brilliant!

Ansem
2014-10-11, 05:36 PM
It's not April 1st yet.... just saying.

Flickerdart
2014-10-11, 05:36 PM
I was with you until "4: Magic Missile" because it's not a 4th level spell.

Talakeal
2014-10-11, 05:40 PM
It's not April 1st yet.... just saying.

Yeah I know, which means he was serious :smalleek:

Psyren
2014-10-11, 05:41 PM
Didn't you just have a thread about your DM's very unconventional style locked by the mods? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373991-So-it-happened-I-am-OP) Not to be the party pooper, but you made it clear there that you had no intentions of leaving that group regardless of how odd his game was, so I'm not sure what benefit there is to continually posting about a situation you're not willing to change or escape.

Talakeal
2014-10-11, 05:48 PM
Didn't you just have a thread about your DM's very unconventional style locked by the mods? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373991-So-it-happened-I-am-OP) Not to be the party pooper, but you made it clear there that you had no intentions of leaving that group regardless of how odd his game was, so I'm not sure what benefit there is to continually posting about a situation you're not willing to change or escape.

This isnt about me or the game, just about something funny the DM said. As for locked threads I dont believe that is an appropriate topic for conversation, but as far as I can tell the subject itself is not against the forum rules.

Alent
2014-10-11, 05:48 PM
I'd be curious to know the stories behind his selection of spells. It's likely to be boring and tame, but I'm sure there's got to be at least one really good laugh in there.

Talakeal
2014-10-11, 05:55 PM
I'd be curious to know the stories behind his selection of spells. It's likely to be boring and tame, but I'm sure there's got to be at least one really good laugh in there.

Magic missile is banned because it is automatic damage with no save or roll to hit. Fireball and lightning bolt because the Dm believes that they simply have too much damage potential for a spell of their level, and break the game's internal math.

Not sure about his reasons for banning scorching ray or color spray, although I do think the latter is a bit strong for a first level spell.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-11, 06:24 PM
Granted, Color Spray is a strong low-level choice, and Magic Missile and Scorching Ray are two of the best metamagic seeds in core.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-11, 06:29 PM
Magic missile is banned because it is automatic damage with no save or roll to hit. Fireball and lightning bolt because the Dm believes that they simply have too much damage potential for a spell of their level, and break the game's internal math.

Not sure about his reasons for banning scorching ray or color spray, although I do think the latter is a bit strong for a first level spell.

Oh god can i show him my Walking Apocalypse?? Sorcerer 6/ Incantatrix 10/ Escalation Mage 4
I use Vortex of Teeth liberally, and i Arcane Thesised Magic Missile and Sorching Ray (wow two spells he thought were OP :smalleek:) Basically i metamagic the bajeezus out of the Misissiles and Rays, i think i wound up shooting like 12 Scorching Rays and like 15 Magic missiles, or something silly like that. Oh and Wings of Flurry, cuz i liked breaking buildings.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-11, 06:45 PM
Sheriff: This does appear to be an restart/update of a recently locked thread.