PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Solving a Sexual Dimorphism Problem

Alias
2014-10-11, 07:10 PM
In my setting its long been established that female halflings are winged while males are not, inspired by The Dark Crystal. With the introduction of halfling subraces in core I faced the problem of needing to design two additional subraces. Rather than do that, I came up with a global solution and, while at it, ever so slightly loosened the sexual requirement on wings. Here's my draft.

Winged Halflings. Normally only female halflings (Oyasi) have wings. It is very rare for them to not have wings (about 1 in 10,000). It is slightly less rare for male halflings to be born with wings (about 1 in 1,000).

Winged halflings do not gain a +1 bonus to a secondary ability score. Instead they are able to glide 10’ horizontally for every 10’ they fall and can do this at any distance without harm. Casting levitation upon them enables them to fly. The character also gains flight at 11th character level.

Players now have the option of playing against the grain of halfling society (which will remain a strongly matriarchal one).

Thoughts?

LibraryOgre
2014-10-13, 10:14 AM
Sounds quite doable. However, I'd consider the place of these characters in halfling society... since wings are so strongly a gender marker in a matriarchal society, how does a wingless woman or a winged man fit into their view of the world?

As an aside, you'll also want to note the fly speed gained when levitating or hitting 11th level.