PDA

View Full Version : Ranger's Animal Companion

ReD_Exorcist
2014-10-11, 07:52 PM
This might be one of the most dumbest questions any of you have ever seen on the forum. But please bare with me, its for a friend.

One of my party members is wanting a dragon companion. I know what your thinking (Nope nope nope. Just dumb just stop just no) I just want to know, is there any possibility of a ranger being able to have a dragon animal companion. In the monster's manual is there type of dragon weak enough that she could actually control? If so what feats is she going to have to take. Is there any prestige classes could help, I know multi classing into a druid would help a lot! So is there any way this could happen.

MilesTiden
2014-10-11, 07:53 PM
As an animal companion? No. You couldn't even get one as a druid. However, there is the Dragon Cohort feat which could work, although it is a bit high level.

Karnith
2014-10-11, 07:58 PM
A Ranger (or Druid, for that matter) can trade her regular Animal Companion for a Phynxkin Companion (Dragon Magic, pp. 13-14), which, as a Dragontouched Animal, is sort of like a dragon, and can later be traded in for a Dire Phynxkin.

Taveena
2014-10-11, 08:20 PM
Take a dip of a class that grants a familiar, take the Dragon Familiar feat, and then take the Theurgic Bond feat. Sure, it's /technically/ a familiar, but hey, it scales with your ranger level!

Jgosse
2014-10-11, 09:02 PM
I remember there is away to get a pseudodragon but not the actual method.

eggynack
2014-10-11, 09:03 PM
Take a dip of a class that grants a familiar, take the Dragon Familiar feat, and then take the Theurgic Bond feat. Sure, it's /technically/ a familiar, but hey, it scales with your ranger level!
Urban companion can kinda get you a familiar in exchange for the animal companion, and it'd be reasonable to allow dragon familiar to apply to that.

nyjastul69
2014-10-11, 09:14 PM
I remember there is away to get a pseudodragon but not the actual method.

The Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) feat from the SRD allows for pseudodragon familiars.

Jgosse
2014-10-11, 09:26 PM
Found it. http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Monstrous_Animal_Companion

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-12, 08:11 AM
I think there's also a "Dragon Steed" feat or something for Paladin's special mount. You could do the Halfling Outrider Devoted Tracker ubermount thing where you combine the features of special mount and animal companion and double progress the levels of them in Outrider.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-12, 01:01 PM
I think there's also a "Dragon Steed" feat or something for Paladin's special mount. You could do the Halfling Outrider Devoted Tracker ubermount thing where you combine the features of special mount and animal companion and double progress the levels of them in Outrider.

Ah, yes. This is a build I've been wanting to try for a while:

Strongheart Halfling Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1/Wild Plains Outrider 3/Halfling Outrider 10/Beastmaster +1
Feats:
1st: Mounted Combat, Track (both prerequisites)
3rd: Skill Focus (Handle Animal) (prerequisite)
6th: Devoted Tracker
9th: Mounted Archery (prerequisite)
12th: Dragon Steed
15th: Whatever you want
18th: Whatever you want

You end up with maximum possible benefits from both special mount and animal companion. The key part of this build, however, is not getting the dragon mount that powerful — it's convincing the DM to let you roleplay as the dragon instead of as the halfling, because the former will be much more powerful.

The Viscount
2014-10-12, 10:07 PM

The Drakkensteed is indeed an ACF for Paladin only, but since it's free (just trade normal horse for Drakkensteed) I see no reason why it couldn't houseruled to be an animal companion.

Coidzor
2014-10-12, 10:41 PM
The Drakkensteed is indeed an ACF for Paladin only, but since it's free (just trade normal horse for Drakkensteed) I see no reason why it couldn't houseruled to be an animal companion.

Dragon Steed is a feat from Draconomicon. Drakkensteed is an ACF from, IIRC, Dragon Magic.

Dragon Steed is a feat that sucks completely if you're *not* a Paladin, because if you're not a paladin, just go with Dragon Cohort. The base level gets you a Dragonnel, not to be confused with a Dragonne, and is meh, but you eventually can get a fairly youngish Gold Dragon.

MrSinister
2014-10-13, 08:05 AM
Ah, yes. This is a build I've been wanting to try for a while:

15th: Whatever you want
18th: Whatever you want

roleplay as the dragon instead of as the halfling, because the former will be much more powerful...

Take those two boomerang feats and be one of those Eberron dinosaur-loving halflings, and always refer to your ubermount as a dinosaur. Thus, always annoying him as much as you annoy enemies with constant dazing. Might want to purchase a ring of evasion for those breath weapon "friendly fire mistakes." :smallamused: