2014-10-11, 09:59 PM
One of my friends recently found this spell, Storm of Blades:

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a sword)

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one creature
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You create floating swords of the type used as the material component for this spell (such as a rapier or scimitar) and magically propel them at your target. You can create one sword for every 2 caster levels that you possess, up to a maximum of five swords at 10th level. You must have line of effect between you and the target, and the target must be within the spell’s range. You make a ranged attack roll for each sword (with no penalties for range increments or using melee weapons as ranged weapons); each attack has the same threat range and critical modifier and deals the same damage as a standard sword of the type expended. Swords created by this spell disappear after striking (or missing) their targets.

While this might be a bit impractical at low levels, at higher levels, especially the level this spell maxes out at, you can easily afford to keep a few swords around for this spell. Additionally, notice how it doesn't specify exactly what kinds of swords you have to use. You can use greatswords for this. That's 10d6 you're throwing around at 10th level, each attack made at your highest BAB+Dex, with 19-20/x2 crit range.

This is hardly the most broken spell of the D20 system, but the fact that you can now use one spell to get as many attacks as a 20th level full-attacking fighter at 10th level as a standard action (which can be quickened for even more slashy destruction) seems emblematic of the whole "linear warriors, quadratic wizards."

Maybe it's as bad as it seems. Maybe there'll be some errata. Until then, I just wanted to bring this to the attention of DMs that they may take what measures they deem fit to address such a spell, and also to the attention of my fellow players, that they may use it and bring back awesome stories of eviscerated BBEGs.

Thank you.

ThisIsZen
2014-10-11, 10:11 PM
Well, the issue I think is that a 10th level wizard is going to have... hm, sec, lemme check here.

Assuming a 14 dex (I think that might even be high for a wizard, but I don't want someone optimizing specifically around this spell), each ranged attack roll would be... +7 to-hit total.

Compared to the Fighter's probable +15 (10 BAB, 5 Str mod), you're going to be half as accurate. Compared to the 20th level fighter whose volume of attacks you're duplicating, you're swinging completely blind.

I mean, don't get me wrong, making five attacks is pretty sweet, but you're a caster targeting AC. I don't think it's quite as powerful as it looks on the tin.

EDIT: A 10th level fighter is more likely to land his second iterative than you are to hit with any of these swords. A 20th level fighter is more likely to land his LAST iterative than you are with these swords. Figure that might be better for illustration of scale.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-11, 11:19 PM
Well, the issue I think is that a 10th level wizard is going to have... hm, sec, lemme check here.

Assuming a 14 dex (I think that might even be high for a wizard, but I don't want someone optimizing specifically around this spell), each ranged attack roll would be... +7 to-hit total.

Compared to the Fighter's probable +15 (10 BAB, 5 Str mod), you're going to be half as accurate. Compared to the 20th level fighter whose volume of attacks you're duplicating, you're swinging completely blind.

I mean, don't get me wrong, making five attacks is pretty sweet, but you're a caster targeting AC. I don't think it's quite as powerful as it looks on the tin.

EDIT: A 10th level fighter is more likely to land his second iterative than you are to hit with any of these swords. A 20th level fighter is more likely to land his LAST iterative than you are with these swords. Figure that might be better for illustration of scale.

True enough, but remember that clerics and magi can use this as well. Both classes can accommodate Dex-based builds rather easily, and get a boost to BAB compared to the wizard.

Besides, the point is that this can be done at all, really.

Psychoalpha
2014-10-11, 11:42 PM
...doesn't a 10th level wizard (or cleric, or whatever other primary spellcaster) have better options for their 3rd level spell slots than this?

Though, as I look at the spell, I don't see anything about size. So maybe find a way to get or create a Colossal Greatsword, shrink it down till you need to use it, then unshrink it and use it up as a material component to hurl five insanely large swords at your enemy.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-11, 11:51 PM
What level spell is this? EDIT: also are there more like this? I need to know for reasons.

Taveena
2014-10-11, 11:59 PM
Note... that... it doesn't say the sword has to be one you can use - and, in fact, likely isn't, if you're a Wizard. If you can craft it, and afford it... well.
Colossal Greatswords do 12d6.
That's 60d6 damage with a second level spell slot.
Hm.

deuxhero
2014-10-12, 12:11 AM
This spell is only worthwhile if the GM lets you go nuts with false focus/eschew materials and summon costless artifact swords or you need to destroy an artifact sword (use it as a material component). The fact that it doesn't stop penalties for size, non-prof and other stuff really kills it.

A_S
2014-10-12, 03:52 AM
Size-related cheese seems to be the only remotely broken thing about this spell. Otherwise...well, it's an okay attack spell. Not really a even a ping on the radar as far as "broken stuff a Wizard can do by level 10" goes.

Beowulf DW
2014-10-12, 10:11 AM
...doesn't a 10th level wizard (or cleric, or whatever other primary spellcaster) have better options for their 3rd level spell slots than this?

It's a 2nd level spell for Magi and Wizards, and a third level spell for Clerics. Kind of weird, I know.

What level spell is this? EDIT: also are there more like this? I need to know for reasons.

Here's the link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/storm-of-blades).

This (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1601256019/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1601256019&linkCode=as2&tag=httpwwwd20pfs-20) is the source book. Go crazy.

ShadeRaven
2016-10-04, 06:16 AM
Shouldn't the weapon used be one that you can wield (e.g. a large bastard sword at the very best for a medium creature)? It says you suffer to penalty for proficiency or using a melee weapon as range weapon, but there is nothing about penalties for inappropriately sized weapon.

Kurald Galain
2016-10-04, 06:24 AM
I'd say it's a pretty bad spell. Normally, it caps at 10d6 damage to a single target (by conjuring five greatswords, for 50 gp), and for this you have to make a regular attack. Now compare this to Scorching Ray, which caps at 12d6 and is a touch attack (and costs nothing). If fire damage bothers you, use Intensified Snowball instead. And that's even before we consider area effects.