PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Druid help - making the puppy roar

Morphie
2014-10-12, 01:13 AM
Hello guys,

So, I'm playing a druid in a campaign that will take the whole party up to epic levels (21ish). We're currently at level 13 and the party is fairly powerful, so I decided to take my riding dog all the way from the first level to the very end. I already have his feats planned out (he currently has Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Improved Natural Attack, for the future I'm thinking about Combat Reflexes and Improved Critical).
He's equipped with a necklace of natural weapons +1 and has a standard leather barding.

I'm currently the DM of a part of the campaign and I'll probably return to the party at around level 16.

With all this said, I need the Playground's advice on ways that I can make the dog still contribute in melee at mid-high levels, having a strong ac and saves at the same time.
Any other tips regarding equipment and spells that I can cast on the puppy are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

eggynack
2014-10-12, 01:27 AM
Well, on the feat end, you're probably going to want companion spellbond, to make animal companion buffing more efficient, and probably exalted companion, to grant the companion access to vow of poverty. On the spell end, the bite of the wereX line helps out quite a bit, particularly because it adds some extra attacks to the dog's otherwise meager attack routine, and adding the dog to your morning buff ritual through companion spellbond (heart of X, primal X, maybe greater magic fang, and so on), certainly can't hurt.

Getting some actual contribution out of the fellow at 16 is tricky though. You're starting to hit levels where most levels of melee contribution, even if they're on scale with reasonably optimized melee characters, fall before the weight of casting. You just have so much ridiculousness you can toss out on a whim, and you're one level away from complete game breaking. It's a bit implausible that a riding dog would be seriously capable of competing with that, or even existing in the same league.

Morphie
2014-10-12, 06:05 PM
Thanks eggynack,
Yes, I have the feat Companion Spellbond and I share Primal Instinct and Primal Hunter, along with Superior Resistance with the dog. I don't intend on having the dog outclass anyone, just want him to hold his ground. I play a halfling and use the dog as a mount.

About the other spells, Bite of the WereX sounds really nice, coupled with GMF it will sure help a lot on the offensive department, Barkskin and Halo of Sand will help the AC. Do you have any thoughts on equipment for the dog? A good armor or any wondrous items?

eggynack
2014-10-12, 09:16 PM
. I don't intend on having the dog outclass anyone, just want him to hold his ground. I play a halfling and use the dog as a mount.
It's not about the dog outclassing folk. It's about the dog having any real relevance in a world where you have stuff like frostfell, or infinite earthquakes. I'm not sure it would. Not really sure there's even much meaning to a mount by that level, given the ridiculous speeds accessible by a druid.

Do you have any thoughts on equipment for the dog? A good armor or any wondrous items?
I've heard good things about using ToB style maneuver/stance adding items, but beyond that, I can't say I have much of a list.

Morphie
2014-10-14, 09:04 PM
Thanks anyway Eggynack, I think I'll stick to making him a decent fighter and making sure he doesn't overshadow the damage dealing of the rogue or the duskblade in our party.

By the way, I read somewhere that you were building a druid handbook of sorts, any predictions of when you'll finish it? If you'd be so kind as to provide me a link to the guide or something like that I would appreciate it.

Once again, thanks :)