PDA

View Full Version : Ability checks and Grapple

Melcar
2014-10-12, 05:59 AM
Hellow fellow scribes...

I was simply wondering what "things" add to a grapple check.

I know of the following: Base attack bonus + Strenght modifier + size.

But what about items? Stone of Luck? Pale green prism ioun stone?

Thanks

DeltaEmil
2014-10-12, 06:33 AM
Neither the pale green ioun stone nor the luckstone give a bonus to the grapple check. The pale green ioun stone would help with the initial melee touch attack to initiate a grapple, but the grapple check itself is not modified by that magic item. The luckstone is useless for grappling, except for Escape Artist checks to escape a grapple.

The grapple check is like a melee attack roll, but it's not really one, hence that bolded word.

The feat Improved Grapple does increase your grapple check modifier. Spells and psionic powers might also improve grapple checks, like for example the grip of iron power.

Melcar
2014-10-12, 06:58 AM
Neither the pale green ioun stone nor the luckstone give a bonus to the grapple check. The pale green ioun stone would help with the initial melee touch attack to initiate a grapple, but the grapple check itself is not modified by that magic item. The luckstone is useless for grappling, except for Escape Artist checks to escape a grapple.

The grapple check is like a melee attack roll, but it's not really one, hence that bolded word.

The feat Improved Grapple does increase your grapple check modifier. Spells and psionic powers might also improve grapple checks, like for example the grip of iron power.

Ok... I thought perhaps that the bonus to ability checks the ioun stone gave, would add to the str. modifier of the grapple check.

Necroticplague
2014-10-12, 07:09 AM
Ok... I thought perhaps that the bonus to ability checks the ioun stone gave, would add to the str. modifier of the grapple check.

Nope. A grapple check is a grapple check, not a STR check. Ability Checks are defined as only adding the relevant stat and misc modifiers to the d20 roll. Grapple checks, being BAB+STR, do not qualify.

Psyren
2014-10-12, 07:11 AM
Hellow fellow scribes...

I was simply wondering what "things" add to a grapple check.

I know of the following: Base attack bonus + Strenght modifier + size.

But what about items? Stone of Luck? Pale green prism ioun stone?

Thanks

Note that in Pathfinder, all those things do add to your grapple check, because CMB checks are attack rolls.