PDA

View Full Version : Perform Question

jlousivy
2007-03-16, 02:22 PM
If a bard has Perform(fiddle) and Perform(oratory)-- can he do both in the same night? like synergeticly? or does he add the two bonuses together? or just use the result of the higher? (for money/day purposes, not for any bardic abilities)

ampcptlogic
2007-03-16, 02:26 PM
There is a feat, though I don't know its source, called Versatile Performer, which allows a Bard to sing (or recite or orate) and play at the same time. In the example you give, it's probable that you would need to make two checks, since it's hard to give a speech with a fiddle under your chin. What you do with those two checks would be up to the DM.

CaptainSam
2007-03-16, 03:07 PM
Versatile Performer (CA p112) does give a +2 bonus on combined performances. It also gives the bard three extra perform skills at their highest perform rank. A bard can use two types of perform at the same time without it.

Fiddle and Oratory? I would say it's too difficult to perform those at the same time. Fiddle or orate, but not both, I'm with Amp on this one.

A bard can use his perform as many times a night as he wants. Just remember crowds only have so much money, so you'll only be able to fleece them once a night in a small village.

ocato
2007-03-16, 05:38 PM
I thought Versatile Performer gave you access to a number of perform skills equal to your intelligence modifier that were all given ranks equal to your highest perform skill. Either way it is pretty much intended to get out of jams that involve losing your instrument (and spell casting if you know Summon Instrument), get out of being tied up (can't play a fiddle with your hands tied in the middle), get out of being gagged or cursed to be unable to speak as a way of nixing your performing (Crypto rock outs do not work, sorry Haley), and to give you a +2 to perform checks under 90% of circumstances. I believe you can sing and play the fiddle at once (Charlie Daniels is a L16 Bard, FYI) but I'm not 100% sure.

TheOOB
2007-03-16, 10:01 PM
Meh, I still use the old 3.0 rules for perform, where the perform types are much more specific, but you gain a new one each rank. I don't think a bard should have to waste a feat to become a master of a multitude of styles of performing.

Swordguy
2007-03-16, 10:30 PM
What about bards using one perform skill to provide a circumstance bonus on another? Say, using Perform(lute) to assist Perform(vocal).

TheOOB
2007-03-16, 10:59 PM
What about bards using one perform skill to provide a circumstance bonus on another? Say, using Perform(lute) to assist Perform(vocal).

Technically there are no rules for this so by RAW you can't do it, and since versitile performer exists solely for that reason it stands to reason you need the feat to gain any sort of bonus for multiple types of perform. Silly I know, but thems the rules.

CaptainSam
2007-03-17, 06:09 AM
I thought Versatile Performer gave you access to a number of perform skills equal to your intelligence modifier...

Sorry, my bad. Used my bard as the example, forgot that other characters have different stats :smallredface:

ocato
2007-03-17, 10:47 AM
My bard has a modifier of 3 as well for intelligence, so I wasn't sure if I was right.

Again, concerning Versatile Performer, I personally like it. You gain multiple perform skills at the cost of putting ranks into one, you are nigh impossible to stop from performing if you pick a good list (strings, singing, dancing, wind instruments for example) and you get a +2 to 90% of circumstances when performing. Oh noes, my hands are tied, better sing and dance, +2. Uh oh, I'm gagged, better play my lute and dance, +2. Uh oh, I'm completely tied up, gagged, and have no access to an instrument. I uh... oh. Ouch. Can you take Perform (Seisure-esq rolling around) ?

Anyway, I honestly love it. I play a Human bard so I had the extra feat, because at high levels you're either reading more books than me, or you're running out of feat ideas.