PDA

View Full Version : Tyranny of dragons

Exirtadorri
2014-10-12, 12:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has run this yet? I'm getting my phb and this on Monday.

Also is this module easily modified? Right now it's only me and my wife who are going to be playing. Any tips or advice for a two person game?

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-12, 05:08 PM
I'd advise against trying to run it as a two-person game. D&D in general is designer for a 3-5 person party plus a DM.

Madfellow
2014-10-12, 06:19 PM
Be advised, the module is quite combat-heavy, and as written it is very deadly. The GM may have to tweak it quite a bit.

azoetia
2014-10-12, 06:51 PM
Play a DMPC. Scale the combats to suit two people and remember that not every optional encounter has to be used. Solo monsters will obviously have to have their stats adjusted. That's probably the biggest pain.

You might want to tweak some rules, such as letting casters regain their slots on short rest. And perhaps start at level 2 or 3 instead of 1.

emeraldstreak
2014-10-12, 07:07 PM
Be advised, the module is quite combat-heavy, and as written it is very deadly. The GM may have to tweak it quite a bit.

Wrong. It's as deadly as the 5th is supposed to be, it's just that most people haven't learned to properly control/tank in it yet.

Madfellow
2014-10-12, 08:45 PM
Wrong. It's as deadly as the 5th is supposed to be, it's just that most people haven't learned to properly control/tank in it yet.

The CR values given in the module, when compared to the CR values in the online GM guide, register as twice as high as the suggested CR for a party of X level an unfortunately high number of times.

emeraldstreak
2014-10-12, 10:04 PM
The CR values given in the module, when compared to the CR values in the online GM guide, register as twice as high as the suggested CR for a party of X level an unfortunately high number of times.

nope. they are in line with hard encounters.

and even if they are, so what. proper 5e control parties can beat them. that's not new, the counterintuitivity of 5e risk management was evident in the earliest of playtests and the present version is in fact notably improved.