PDA

View Full Version : help with understanding the hellbred race

sage20500
2014-10-12, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking about trying to come up with a character design using the hellbred race but im a little unsure on how its applied. So to my understanding, hellbred is sort of the same as dragon born of bahamut. In that its a race that over rides the original characters race since they died and were brought back as a hellbred. So if we keep the original race as human, what stays and what dissapears when a human becomes helbred. And if the original character possesed inherited templates such as unseelie fey or magic blooded, do those remain with them when they come back as a hellbred?

Venger
2014-10-12, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking about trying to come up with a character design using the hellbred race but im a little unsure on how its applied. So to my understanding, hellbred is sort of the same as dragon born of bahamut. In that its a race that over rides the original characters race since they died and were brought back as a hellbred. So if we keep the original race as human, what stays and what dissapears when a human becomes helbred. And if the original character possesed inherited templates such as unseelie fey or magic blooded, do those remain with them when they come back as a hellbred?

dragonborn is a weird mix between race and template.

hellbred, despite being fluffed as a reincarnated soul, is NOT a template. it's a race and treated as such by the rules.

if you were human, it just affects your backstory. you don't get any extra skills/feats from it.

you can apply templates to hellbred if they can apply, but you won't keep old stuff from your past life aside from memories.

sage20500
2014-10-12, 02:27 PM
dragonborn is a weird mix between race and template.

hellbred, despite being fluffed as a reincarnated soul, is NOT a template. it's a race and treated as such by the rules.

if you were human, it just affects your backstory. you don't get any extra skills/feats from it.

you can apply templates to hellbred if they can apply, but you won't keep old stuff from your past life aside from memories.

So then is it impossible to apply any inherited template to a hellbred?

Venger
2014-10-12, 02:37 PM
So then is it impossible to apply any inherited template to a hellbred?

RAW, there's no prohibition, though it would earn you some dirty looks.

torrasque666
2014-10-12, 02:38 PM
No, its entirely possible. The whole "reincarnation" bit is mostly fluff. The only way it could be used otherwise would be to know Druidic as a non-Druid(or any other "secret" language). Any template, acquired or inherited, that can be applied to creatures of the Humanoid type are valid on a Hellbred.

Bad Wolf
2014-10-12, 02:42 PM
The only thing you keep for sure are your known languages. So, that's why every Hellbred in the world was previously a level 20 Bard who put all their skill points into Speak Language.

sage20500
2014-10-12, 02:48 PM
No, its entirely possible. The whole "reincarnation" bit is mostly fluff. The only way it could be used otherwise would be to know Druidic as a non-Druid(or any other "secret" language). Any template, acquired or inherited, that can be applied to creatures of the Humanoid type are valid on a Hellbred.

Ok, I wanted to make a smite and lay on hands focussed paladin. So I was trying to figure out ways to possibly increase his charisma.

Venger
2014-10-12, 02:56 PM
Ok, I wanted to make a smite and lay on hands focussed paladin. So I was trying to figure out ways to possibly increase his charisma.

what are you looking at levels wise? templates that boost your LA are probably not that useful to you. picking spirit alone boosts your cha by 2, which ought to be plenty for a pally.

sage20500
2014-10-12, 03:18 PM

what are you looking at levels wise? templates that boost your LA are probably not that useful to you. picking spirit alone boosts your cha by 2, which ought to be plenty for a pally.

We normally tend to start at level 4 when we do campaigns. Im not caring about his wis score all that much because im feeling like im going to get rid of his spells by taking the acf for extra feats since the main prc im looking atfor him is greyguard. So thats probably the biggest reason I wanted to get a high charisma since their lay on hands pool is paladin level times cha mod. The secondary reason was that aside from required skills needed for grey guard and possibly blade of heironus (I think thats the right name) I was wanting to maybe have him become an intimidater type character.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-12, 03:23 PM
Conversely you can boost the crap out of wisdom and use the serenity feat. Basically paladin skills key off wis and not cha.

Rebel7284
2014-10-12, 03:57 PM
Try hellbred dragonborn of bahhamut. The Con hit hurts a lot for a paladin. Also, an interesting redemption story. Maybe.

OldTrees1
2014-10-12, 04:51 PM
Hellbred inherits every language it knew in its prior life. That is all.