PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of munchkin?

arkangel111
2014-10-12, 02:38 PM
Not the card game, not the act of playing well above the power level of your group. I am about to join a group and the DM told me that he has some books that convert 3.5 to munchkin or some such. My google-fu is failing me so I have no idea what books he is referring to.

Even should you be unable to point me to the books can someone give me a general idea of the differences between 3.5 and munchkin 3.5?

Arbane
2014-10-12, 03:06 PM
Not the card game, not the act of playing well above the power level of your group. I am about to join a group and the DM told me that he has some books that convert 3.5 to munchkin or some such. My google-fu is failing me so I have no idea what books he is referring to.

Even should you be unable to point me to the books can someone give me a general idea of the differences between 3.5 and munchkin 3.5?

There is a Munchkin d20 (joke) rulebook, but being a munchkin isn't so much a ruleset as a state of mind: Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies, and Munchkins (http://dragon.facetieux.free.fr/jdr/Munchkin.htm). To misquote a good summary, a Munchkin is the sort of person who, when told the game is going to be about intrigue and political maneuvering in monarchial France says "I wanna play a ninja!".

Sartharina
2014-10-12, 03:10 PM
There is a Munchkin d20 (joke) rulebook, but being a munchkin isn't so much a ruleset as a state of mind: Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies, and Munchkins (http://dragon.facetieux.free.fr/jdr/Munchkin.htm). To misquote a good summary, a Munchkin is the sort of person who, when told the game is going to be about intrigue and political maneuvering in monarchial France says "I wanna play a ninja!".

... Isn't that the plot summary for Assassin's Creed?

The Glyphstone
2014-10-12, 03:14 PM

It's exactly what you think it is. 3.5, with monsters, items, and possibly classes taken from the Munchkin card game and rewritten to be used in 3.5 rules. Just build a character like you normally would, then take up your Broad Sword or Gentleman's Club and sally forth to defeat the Plutonium Dragon.

Kurald Galain
2014-10-12, 03:16 PM

There's no "difference" per se, the Munchkin books are a set of extra feats/spells/items/monsters/etc that can be added to 3E. This covers anything from the mob monster "3474 orcs", to punny magical items, to feats like "shagging the DM" (which gives you free rerolls, but guess what the prerequisite is :smallcool: )

Arbane
2014-10-12, 06:20 PM
... Isn't that the plot summary for Assassin's Creed?

Unfortunately, YES. :smallmad: Which is annoying, as the quote pre-dates it by about a decade and a half.

sktarq
2014-10-12, 09:04 PM
Full of hilarious bits like the feat: Shagging the DM gives you a free re-roll every 30 minutes. The pre-req is in the name however. It overall rather meta and funny

RandomLunatic
2014-10-13, 12:06 AM
Full of hilarious bits like the feat: Shagging the DM gives you a free re-roll every 30 minutes. The pre-req is in the name however. It overall rather meta and funnyOf course, the special points that if you meet the pre-reqs, taking the feat is probably unnecessary.

137beth
2014-10-13, 11:47 AM
Try the Munchkin cleric domain (Munchkin PHB, pg 38). Just looking at the spells, it isn't all that powerful at first glance:
1st: fireball
2nd: Lightning bolt
3rd: Flame strike
4th: Power word kill
5th: Finger of Death
6th: Limited Wish
7th: Wish
8th: Miracle
9th: Magic Missile

So, you get some spells early, but they are underpowered spells. Wish at level 13 is less powerful than it seems, due to the high xp cost. However, the real power of this domain is the granted ability:

+1 to everything, all the time, whenever you could possibly find that useful. Is that simple or what?
But wait! That means you get a +1 to the value of the bonus from the munchkin domain granted power, so you really have +2 to everything! Including the bonus you get to everything from the domain power, so really you have +4 to everything...etc.

For the most part, the muchkin books have a mix of underpowered stuff that looks strong and overpowered stuff that is just slightly better than something in the core rules. It creates huge disparities between `people with good system mastery and people without it. Which is probably the intention.

Psyren
2014-10-13, 02:38 PM
I skimmed it awhile back. I recall a spell whose material component is slipping the DM a $20 bill as an immediate action and it lets you reroll anything.

It is technically playable but the sort of campaign that's improved by that kind of thing probably doesn't need a rulebook at all :smalltongue:

Chronos
2014-10-13, 03:20 PM
It sounds like it's more fun to just read the books for the laughs than it is to actually play. Which, in my opinion, is a trait it shares with the card version of the game.

Snowbluff
2014-10-13, 05:19 PM
I skimmed it awhile back. I recall a spell whose material component is slipping the DM a $20 bill as an immediate action and it lets you reroll anything.

I approve of this book and its contents. Unrelated, but I'm running a game tomorrow.