PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summoning Summoner

andreww
2014-10-12, 02:49 PM
So, I have a low level summoner, currently level 4, and I am looking for advice on how to develop his Eidolon. He is built as a primarily summoning character (SF Conjuration/Augment/Superior) and so in combat I primarily make use of summons and then aid with a longspear or buff/debuff if I think I can afford the slots.

As a result the eidolon is not normally out for combat and is primarily intended as a skill monkey and scout. I went with Biped (Claws) and currently have the following evolutions:

Shadow From (permanent concealment for stealth and something to use against shadows)
Skilled (Perception)
Skilled (Disable Device)
Skilled (Stealth)
Climb
Swim

I am planning on dumping Climb at 5th and grabbing flight but after that I am uncertain. Scent, Blindsight, Tremorsense, Burrow or an Int boost for extra skills are all tempting. For feats he has Skill Focus (Disable Device) and Alertness at the moment. Currently running at +18 for Stealth, Perception and Disable Device.

Vortenger
2014-10-12, 05:43 PM
Your skill-dolon looks decent enough. Are you using a small eidolon? The con penalty hurts, but +4 dex is juicy to any stealther, especially one who can hide all day, every day in plain sight (Shadow Form is hax).

I strongly suggest taking feats aside from skill focus unless you are truly out of other ideas (You might try the eldritch heritage: Linnorm feat tree for ridiculous perceptive boni). Bonus dex evolutions to keep that stealth and disable score relevant against a similarly leveled rogue, as opposed to intelligence is good. The rest of your ideas for growing your perceptive abilities and mobility are sound. Looks like you've pretty much got it.

Have you read Neonchameleon's guide to an alternative eidolon? It's full of ideas for build just such as this. The only downside ever is the standard action to dismiss, but with the scouting you have access to, you'll know where the enemy are positioned, so it shouldn't be much trouble. Be aware some DM's do not like you having your disposable minion Hide-in-Plain-Sight stealthing past all his carefully crafted encounters and telling you all the juicy bits. I know that I had to dodge a couple of DMG's running a similar build.

Grab a big hunk of umbrite, some shark skin gloves and boots, and a griffon mane cape (from PFSRD) for some non-magical boni to important skills. Getting a bonus without eating a precious magic item slot is always useful.