PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dirty Trick Swashbuckler Build

Chaosvii7
2014-10-12, 04:34 PM
I know they're not the bee's knees, but I am really intrigued in making a Swashbuckler focused around the Dirty Trick combat maneuver on top of all the things a normal Swashbuckler can do. I need some help making the best Swashbuckler build I can(Which would still be what, tier 4? 5?) and then tack the Improved Dirty Trick feat onto it somewhere. Can I get some help?

Mind you, I basically need everything except for rolling stats, which I've already done: 12 14 16 17 14 15. So please feel free to take that and do whatever you'd like.

I was thinking about using Rapier and then getting that Cloak feat to make it a buckler. I don't know if Inspired Blade is considered good or even better, or if it'd be the right direction to take the build in. I basically just want to be a dashing combat maneuver machine, and the Swashbuckler has the right level of fluff for me compared to the others. Also I don't expect this game to have a terribly high optimization roof, hence why I wanted to give Swashbuckling a try.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-13, 02:37 PM
Bumping this back onto the first page with an update: I've started to work on the character a bit. Right now I've picked Drow for my race and I'm going with Inspired Blade as an archetype for the time being. Here's what the stats look like after ability score adjustments:

STR 12
DEX 17
CON 14
INT 17
WIS 14
CHA 16

As for feats, I'm starting with Combat Expertise early and I'll hopefully get into Improved Dirty trick by level 5; I also want Dueling Cape and then everything from there on is up in the air.

1: Combat Expertise
B: Weapon Finesse(Rapier Only)
B: Weapon Focus(Rapier)

Anybody have any critique so far on what I've got and what I'm going for?

TheIronGolem
2014-10-13, 03:57 PM
Why Weapon Focus? Surely Improved Dirty Trick would serve you better.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-13, 04:47 PM
Why Weapon Focus? Surely Improved Dirty Trick would serve you better.

Inspired Blade Swashbucklers get it for free from a class feature. I only have one feat that I can choose, from being a 1st level character.

Shinken
2014-10-13, 07:49 PM
Weapon Focus sets you up for Slashing/Fencing Grace, as well.

avr
2014-10-14, 04:34 AM
The problem is that dirty trick is not one of the maneuvers (disarm, sunder or trip) to which weapon bonuses/Weapon Finesse apply. You may want to swap Str & Int, which may lead to dropping the archetype. If you stick with a low strength then you probably want the Agile Maneuvers feat.

If you then want more panache points one way is to dip a level in Investigator/sleuth archetype. Luck points can be used as panache.

Psyren
2014-10-14, 08:33 AM
I'll echo avr here - unfortunately, none of your class abilities and pretty much no items aimed at Swashbucklers will apply to Dirty Trick because you don't use your weapon to do that maneuver. But if you were to be a tripper you would be phenomenal at it - getting your weapon enhancement bonus, Inspired Finesse, Inspired Strike and Rapier Training all to stack when calculating your CMB.

Um... how do you feel about brawlers? Just about everything I've found that helps Dirty Trick wants you to be using your fists - or more accurately, most things aimed at swashbucklers seem designed around disarm, sunder, reposition and trip.

Belt of Superior Maneuvers will help you get a +5 enhancement to your dirty trickery but that is only 3/day. A brawling weapon will work but does not mesh well with your class features at all.

Anyway, your main goal is to get Quick Dirty Trick as soon as possible, as well as Dirty Trick Master - but for now at least, Brawler is the superior option if you are going the DT route.