PDA

View Full Version : New Feat: Critical Smash

Cerberus
2007-03-16, 03:31 PM
Critical Smash (a.k.a. Braver)
Requirements-Str 10+ Powerattack, Only useable with Bludgening or Slashing weapons
Using this attack invokes an attack of opportunity but will deal 2x damage on a sucsessful hit.

I find this one very realistic..whenever me and my friends are swordfighting...and i jump into the air doing a big downslash...they allways nail me in the chest or jump away..because a powerful blow like that would hurt-so i put some game mechanics into it-

Also thought of a lunge type attack for finesse piercing weapons. Same Principle-

Also for people who have problems hitting-
Compensated Blow-
Requirements:power attack
basically the counterpart of powerattack- a person can sacrifice damage for accuracy- Sacrificing damage can allow the user to deal 0 damage, however dammage cannot go into the negatives. This attack can be used to deal subdual damage.

Icewalker
2007-03-16, 04:07 PM
Compensated blow is excellent, and certainly balanced. Critical Smash is definitely overpowered. That means the fighter type (with a 20 AC) gets a x2 damage attack off on the wizard every round, and in return the wizard gets one attack at +1 to hit with his nonmagical dagger. They should get a save, or it should have limited uses (although that isn't realistic) and the attack of opportunity should negate the smash if it hits.

JackofAllBlades
2007-03-16, 04:46 PM
I like compensated blow but I think ,like Icewalker said, critical smash needs balancing somehow.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-17, 12:52 AM
Both are too good. Critical Smash is too easy to nullify (for reasons stated earlier)

As for compensated blow, it's too good for people who need only to hit to deal great amounts of compensated damage. A rogue with a bastard sword and a strength of 14 can easily get a +5 to hit to deal his sneak damage.

Dhavaer
2007-03-17, 01:04 AM
Maybe make Critical Smash require a full round action?

crazedloon
2007-03-17, 01:17 AM
I am a little confused why everyone thinks that Critical Smash is so good. It is slightly better (and I do agree damage on the aoo should negate the extra damage at least) then leap attack only because it can be used every attack (however think a shock trooper frenzied berserker with leap attack and this (that’s x8 damage from power attack + 2x weapon damage and easy power attack for those who don’t know) however with the loss of extra damage to an aoo then it is slightly more balanced.)

jlousivy
2007-03-17, 01:29 AM
hmm critical smash-- maybe instead allow it to apply 2xSTR for 1h weapons and 3xSTR for 2h weapons?

Haedrian
2007-03-17, 04:58 AM
Critical smash is far too powerful.

It needs to be toned down... Its basically giving you a critical hit in replacement for an AOO.

The other one is ok, something i'd see used.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-17, 07:07 AM
Hmm, a critical smash would be easier to dodge or parry. Maybe give the opponent an AC bonus in addition to the aoo? I know it doesn't solve the whole fighter-in-melee-against-wizard thing, but if you're a wizard getting melee damage you're doing something wrong anyway and it's realistic - everyone would indeed use this feat against such opponent.

Rama_Lei
2007-03-17, 10:32 PM
Also, you can ignore the strength pre-req for crit smash, since power attack requires +13 strength.

Jalil
2007-03-18, 01:33 AM
hmm critical smash-- maybe instead allow it to apply 2xSTR for 1h weapons and 3xSTR for 2h weapons?

Yeh, toss in a Weapon focus requirement in there(if you're nice to fighters, make it weapon spec, too), and just boost the str output. I'd take that feat.

As it stands, it needs some rewording. AFAIK, this can be used as a full attack, generating 5 AoO's, but also dealing x10 damage. If you have combat reflexes, raise your hand.

If you want it to be one attack/round, make it either a standard(IMO best idea) or Full round action. The latter choice makes it weaker.

jlousivy
2007-03-18, 04:11 AM
heh, i can ALMOST see this as a 'make a jump check as a move action.. add the distance traveled vertically to your damage' but that's needlessly complicated

Triaxx
2007-03-18, 07:36 AM
Really, if a wizard gets hit with this, chances are he's not getting up anytime soon. If he's still alive, he should be smart enough to cast Expeditious retreat and run away.

Why not leap attack, and power attack. If you hit you've done massive damage from range, and if you've hit a wizard he deserves it for not stopping you before hand.

So, this should only work during a leap attack, be nullified by a successful AoO, and count as a full-round action.

Cerberus
2007-03-18, 08:32 PM
Well you could give critical smash a -5 to hit due to being such an obvious attack..easy to see coming and step aside...Also since you are in mid air..and incapible of dodging you could count yourself as flatfooted. (even though you are in the air)

Yes it would rip a wizard apart because a wizard sucks at attacks of opportunity-but if a fighter gets close to a wizard the wizards doomed anyways.

And yes taking a full round action is kinda logical...you cant drink a potion and then jump into the air and beat an opponent down in a matter of seconds (enyless you got a 40+ dex..but we will not go into that right now..my last character never failed a reflex :P)
When you jump you would get a 5 or 10 foot range..depending on character size. I think medium would be inbetween there somewhere...Because I jump 8 feet in gym.....so 5 feet in armor with a large sword sounds logical...larger characters would get 10...and small ones shouldnt be using a giant sword :P(no offence to dwarfs..their cool....knomes/kobolds should stay in the ground where they belong)