PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Good aligned Clerics of Nocticula?

Xuldarinar
2014-10-12, 05:07 PM
Premise:

Nocticula is worshiped by assassins, the lustful, whores, shadow-using creatures, and of course succubi. These worshipers form relatively small cults, often akin to secret societies, that use brothels, nobility, or academies as a cover for their true purposes. A small number of heretics venerate her as well, not as a demigoddess of murder and lust but as one of outcasts, artists, and the glories of midnight. The fact that such heretical clerics are granted spells as surely as the rest of her worshipers has caused not a small amount of discontent among her faithful, which Nocticula seems to enjoy.

So, for the purpose of making a heretical cleric of nocticula, does she count as Chaotic Evil still, as a particular alignment aside from her normal one (I'd say CN or CG even), or can anyone offer her prayers to get casting? What about paladins who take on this heretical view of the demon lord?

deuxhero
2014-10-12, 07:30 PM
Only a limited number of gods give Paladins spells in Golarion and those that do say so explicitly. Golarion (outside of PFS) does however not require Paladins to worship a god to gain power, so they could gain power that way and worship anything (if the deity likes them is another question)

Raven777
2014-10-12, 07:33 PM
The Heretics are most likely Chaotic Neutral. "Outcasts, artists, and the glories of midnight" sounds pretty Neutral to me. They do not have to be Good. In fact, they cannot be, as that would bring them farther than one step away from their deity on the alignment axis. Nonetheless, Nocticula is still one of the "nicer" Demon Lords.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-12, 08:09 PM
Only a limited number of gods give Paladins spells in Golarion and those that do say so explicitly. Golarion (outside of PFS) does however not require Paladins to worship a god to gain power, so they could gain power that way and worship anything (if the deity likes them is another question)

Paladin of Sifkesh!

The Heretics are most likely Chaotic Neutral. "Outcasts, artists, and the glories of midnight" sounds pretty Neutral to me. They do not have to be Good. In fact, they cannot be, as that would bring them farther than one step away from their deity on the alignment axis. Nonetheless, Nocticula is still one of the "nicer" Demon Lords.

That seems reasonable enough of a view on it.

Nicer demon lords. I know its relative, and i've contemplated benevolent ones, but it still just doesn't seem quite right to me.

Raven777
2014-10-12, 10:04 PM
Nicer demon lords. I know its relative, and i've contemplated benevolent ones, but it still just doesn't seem quite right to me.

Well in [WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS SPOILERS] she [WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS SPOILERS] and ends up [WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS SPOILERS].

So in the end she's not too bad.

grarrrg
2014-10-12, 11:08 PM
They do not have to be Good. In fact, they cannot be, as that would bring them farther than one step away from their deity on the alignment axis.

Note that a character of any alignment can worship a deity of any alignment (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ldqp?Alignment-and-Deity-Worship).
They just should not expect to get mechanical benefits from it (most obviously Spells for Clerics).

Amechra
2014-10-12, 11:19 PM
If you're playing 3.P, just take Heretic of the Faith. Bam, you can have a Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, or True Neutral Cleric of Nocticula.

Or houserule an equivalent feat in; it basically just lets you pick a Discipline outside the normal set for that deity, and allows you to gain spells from them even if you're two steps removed from their Alignment.