PDA

View Full Version : Best Substitution Levels?

atemu1234
2014-10-12, 09:55 PM
For their respective classes, of course.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-12, 10:02 PM
I'm in love with halfling monk 1st (Skirmish instead of FoB) and halfling rogue 1st (-1d6 to standard SA, +1d6 to the normal advancement for Ranged Sneak Attack). One day, I shall find a way to combine the two in one character, a 10' stepping monk that loves to throw stuff!

The Viscount
2014-10-12, 10:36 PM
Changeling Rogue is stupid good; it gives 10 skill points in its levels, adds any Knowledge, and allows take 10 on 5 skills, basically all the social skills but disguise (for balance reasons). All you lose is trapfinding. Levels 3 and 8 are nice too, but that first level is great.

Elf Generalist is famous (and for good reason) since it's the best (some say only) way to play generalist. Again first is most important.

Druid Shifter's quite neat, though dwarfed by the Moonspeaker you're likely entering with it.

Warforged Artificer's 4th level ability is just fantastic.

Drow fighter's goodness depends on whether its technically a racial sub level, which is kind of vague. It's great for a dip.

Tiefling incarnate is also very good, that telepathy is the big one.

torrasque666
2014-10-12, 10:44 PM
I'm a fan of Warforged Paladin 3. Immunity to stun? Pretty nice for a martial. I have now begun starting off my Juggernaut builds with Paladin because of it.

eggynack
2014-10-12, 10:58 PM
Druid Shifter's quite neat, though dwarfed by the Moonspeaker you're likely entering with it.

Nah, no dwarfing involved. Just run four levels of moonspeaker and you get all of the best stuff that both things have to offer. I second these, incidentally, though I have a special fondness for half-orc druid substitution levels.

Sam K
2014-10-12, 11:54 PM
I'm in love with halfling monk 1st (Skirmish instead of FoB) and halfling rogue 1st (-1d6 to standard SA, +1d6 to the normal advancement for Ranged Sneak Attack). One day, I shall find a way to combine the two in one character, a 10' stepping monk that loves to throw stuff!

Add a level of swordsage (or martial study), and you can throw people as missiles! Might be up to DM interpretation, but any DM that actually knows the balance issues facing both rogue and monk should allow you to throw enemies (or party members!) for sneak attack damage! Halfling tetherball attack just got real! :belkar:

Ansem
2014-10-13, 12:33 AM
Half-Elf Bard for making one of the most mediocre races having a good advantage in a class over the others.
Other one is Warforged Artificer, because the only limitation of the class is hereby completely reversed by being the most awesome thing ever for targeting yourself, losing practically nothing and gaining new features that rock.

Deox
2014-10-13, 02:58 AM
Gnome Paladin 6 - Hide in Plain Sight.

Dress outlandish. Red is preferred. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQKG6_0mMfo)