PDA

View Full Version : Does (purposeful) Falling count as movement?

JKTrickster
2014-10-12, 10:48 PM
Let's say someone is on the edge of a short cliff. The cliff is only about 10 ft. high, so there isn't any falling damage or anything of that nature.

He moves 5 ft. off the cliff and starts falling immediately. When he hits the bottom, does it count as moving 5 ft. or 15 ft. ?

I don't quite know how to resolve this. I don't think it counts as movement - since if it was movement, it would be capped at "movement speed" and that means most people can only fall 30 ft. in a single round. But that's clearly not the case because when you Fly and then stall, you can fall as much as 150 ft. in the first round, and 300 ft. in every round after.

So....it isn't movement? But then that seems really odd, semantics wise. :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2014-10-12, 11:22 PM
Yes, it's movement. Movement in D&D is changing your square to an adjacent square (which you can repeat for multiple squares of movement). However, other than the first 5' to move off the ledge, it's not your movement: instead, it's gravity's "action". Falling will provoke AoOs if you move out of some enemy's threatened square(s). However, it doesn't use your action and is independent of your speed. You've moved 5' (either a 5' adjustment or a move action). When you finish falling, you can do something else (well, not movement if you used a 5' step).

JKTrickster
2014-10-13, 01:59 AM
So theoretically, someone could fall some large distance (taking falling damage if necessary) and then continue their movement when they hit the ground (assuming that they still had movement left and was not hampered from doing so).

As in they could "continue" the move action, even with falling in between?

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 02:25 AM
It's the only way for the system to be internally consistent, even if it doesn't make logical. sense.

bekeleven
2014-10-13, 02:35 AM
There are several different ways to fall in D&D.

The simplest, and silliest, is going prone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone), either intentionally or by getting tripped. Anybody that's prone is on the ground by RAW. Tripping is one of the best offenses against flying enemies, especially if you can do it at range. It's RAW-ambiguous whether this deals damage, but I think it doesn't.

If you're flying and stop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tacticalAerialMovement) with a maneuverability of average or lower, you fall 150 feet the first round as a nonaction and 300 feet every subsequent turn you fail to hit your minimum speed. You take fall damage from this fall.

If you jump off of a cliff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) (by standing on the edge, then jumping 5 feet straight forward), then you fall up to your move speed every turn as a move action, or twice that speed if you use a double move to fall faster. You fall in a parabolic arc. I think you take damage, but there's wiggle room.

This brings us to the official falling rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling). Under these rules, you instantaneously hit the ground as a nonaction, taking damage depending on various factors.

If you piss off Elminster hard enough to get Nailed to the Sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm), you are placed in orbit and don't fall to the ground. However, if you have access to magical flight, you can fall at a maximum of 720 feet per round, regardless of the speed of said flight. Presumably you won't take damage since you can pull out of the dive, but if your flight spell runs out a few hours into your freefall, most DMs would argue you take the full 20D6 upon hitting the ground.

I likely missed some, but those are the ones that came to mind.

So, to answer your question: You can continue an action any time you fall as a nonaction. This includes falling (not jumping) off of any height, or stalling midflight.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-13, 03:23 AM
So theoretically, someone could fall some large distance (taking falling damage if necessary) and then continue their movement when they hit the ground (assuming that they still had movement left and was not hampered from doing so).

No, it's not continued movement because it isn't continuous. You can fall and then take some other action, but you don't get to pause some action and continue it after falling. You can move to the cliff edge (one action), fall (no action), and then take another action.

SiuiS
2014-10-13, 03:30 AM

Your time allowed is still running; if you fall 300feet and land, your turn is over (all your turn involved falling). You can do other actions during that fall, but all your actions need to be taken during the 300' plummet.

If the fall is less than maximum, then you'll have some movement left, and it's equivalent to jumping off your mount and continuing. Which I guess means you use gravity as a mount while falling and use it's movement speed? Huh.

But falling long distances is one of those times where the rules break down. Not they are applies funny, but they actively give contradictory information based on your frame of reference.

@bekeleven: I would argue the whole "instantaneously land and take damage" thing doesn't happen, and falls under the DMG rule of 'play it like it's reality until explicitly necessary not to'.

Mr Adventurer
2014-10-13, 07:21 AM
When you fall you land prone don't you? So your movement action would end.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-13, 07:48 AM
When you fall you land prone don't you? So your movement action would end.
No, you don't generally fall prone unless you fail a check. For instance, you can attempt to make a DC 15 Jump check to reduce your falling damage. But if you're untrained, you have to beat that DC by 5 (check of 20+) to avoid falling prone. If you're willing to just take the damage, you can skip the check and avoid falling prone.

DigoDragon
2014-10-13, 08:26 AM
However, if you have access to magical flight, you can fall at a maximum of 720 feet per round, regardless of the speed of said flight. Presumably you won't take damage since you can pull out of the dive, but if your flight spell runs out a few hours into your freefall, most DMs would argue you take the full 20D6 upon hitting the ground.

Don't forget the fire damage from Reentry. :smallbiggrin:

I've never had the situation come up, but I think the reasonable thing I would do is some kind of check to determine if you land on your feet and can move further or if you simply face-plant and end your movement there. Something like Reflex or Tumbling feels appropriate.

DM Nate
2014-10-13, 08:34 AM
So...if you push an enemy off a cliff...and they pass by an ally of yours...your ally gets an Attack of Opportunity on them as they pass by?

bekeleven
2014-10-13, 08:48 AM
So...if you push an enemy off a cliff...and they pass by an ally of yours...your ally gets an Attack of Opportunity on them as they pass by?

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity

Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square. Is a nonaction an action?

DM Nate
2014-10-13, 08:49 AM
Is a nonaction an action?

It's moving out of a threatened square. Vertically. While screaming.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 09:11 AM
Is a nonaction an action?

Forced movement provokes. There's a reference in the SRD somewhere.

bekeleven
2014-10-13, 05:14 PM
Forced movement provokes. There's a reference in the SRD somewhere.

I'd love to know where, since I'm thinking of making this a study at some point in the future.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 05:21 PM
I'd love to know where, since I'm thinking of making this a study at some point in the future.
This help?

Bull Rush
You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge. When you make a bull rush, you attempt to push an opponent straight back instead of damaging him. You can only bull rush an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.

Initiating a Bull Rush
First, you move into the defender’s space. Doing this provokes an attack of opportunity from each opponent that threatens you, including the defender. (If you have the Improved Bull Rush feat, you don’t provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender.) Any attack of opportunity made by anyone other than the defender against you during a bull rush has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting the defender instead, and any attack of opportunity by anyone other than you against the defender likewise has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting you. (When someone makes an attack of opportunity, make the attack roll and then roll to see whether the attack went astray.)

Second, you and the defender make opposed Strength checks. You each add a +4 bonus for each size category you are larger than Medium or a -4 penalty for each size category you are smaller than Medium. You get a +2 bonus if you are charging. The defender gets a +4 bonus if he has more than two legs or is otherwise exceptionally stable.

Bull Rush Results
If you beat the defender’s Strength check result, you push him back 5 feet. If you wish to move with the defender, you can push him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the defender’s check result. You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit. (Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved. So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)

If you fail to beat the defender’s Strength check result, you move 5 feet straight back to where you were before you moved into his space. If that space is occupied, you fall prone in that space.

I had a beguiler in my party who would set up legion of sentinels before the dungeoncrasher fighter pushed people through. It was like pushing orcs into a woodchipper.

bekeleven
2014-10-13, 05:23 PM
"The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved" isn't really as general as I was hoping.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 05:35 PM
I know. There's a more general reference somewhere, but it may be in that vague grey-RAW area known as the ROTG Articles.

Vogonjeltz
2014-10-14, 04:28 PM

Not exactly. The rules are surprisingly sparse on information, so it mostly has to be pieced together. 150' in the first round, 300' per round after that. So, for example, if you burn a move action to fall, and fall less than 150' minus your movement, you can still move when you land. Granted landing without a successful jump check leaves you prone, so you'd need a move action to get up.

This brings us to the official falling rules. Under these rules, you instantaneously hit the ground as a nonaction, taking damage depending on various factors.

The link to the SRD20 doesn't say it's a nonaction or that it's instantaneous.

No, you don't generally fall prone unless you fail a check. For instance, you can attempt to make a DC 15 Jump check to reduce your falling damage. But if you're untrained, you have to beat that DC by 5 (check of 20+) to avoid falling prone. If you're willing to just take the damage, you can skip the check and avoid falling prone.

Quibble: That is a check to avoid going prone. "If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate)."
The implication of that sentence is that if you don't fulfill either of those requirements you don't land on your feet. In other words: If you don't make a jump check you land prone, rather than on your feet.

It's under Attacks of Opportunity.

"Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent."

It doesn't say the character has to willingly or deliberately move out of a threatened square or even that it requires an action of any type. The only two exceptions granted in that section are 5-foot steps and the withdraw action. (caveat lector: there may be specific exceptions in other locations).

Curmudgeon
2014-10-14, 04:47 PM
In other words: If you don't make a jump check you land prone, rather than on your feet. No, I don't think you can fairly make that claim.

If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more. That's the only case where you become prone by the rules: making a Jump check with no ranks. If you don't make a Jump check there are only a few ways you can become prone:

You voluntarily drop prone.
Someone successfully trips or overruns you.
You fail to bull rush someone, and are forced back into an occupied space.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-14, 04:53 PM

Note that this has its own weirdness due to this gem:

Ending Your Movement
You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

Vogonjeltz
2014-10-14, 05:43 PM
No, I don't think you can fairly make that claim.
That's the only case where you become prone by the rules: making a Jump check with no ranks. If you don't make a Jump check there are only a few ways you can become prone:

You voluntarily drop prone.
Someone successfully trips or overruns you.

No, if you fail the check trained or succeed untrained by less than DC+5.

The assumption is made by default that someone falling won't be standing when they land because deliberately landing itself requires a Jump (or tumble) check.

Also knocked down by wind makes someone on the ground prone.

And Catfall makes the assumption that the caster otherwise lands prone:
You recover instantly from a fall and can absorb some damage from falling. You land on your feet no matter how far you fall