PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Armor Spikes and Enhancement

backwaterj
2014-10-13, 12:16 AM
PHB states that armor spikes "can be made into magic weapons in their own right".

What isn't made clear is this: does a single enhancement apply to all the armor spikes equally or must the enhancement be done separately for each limb?

I'm kicking around the idea for a thri-kreen, so the cheese potential is pretty high. Thoughts?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-13, 12:43 AM
Enchantments on armor spikes affect all spikes equally. For multi-limbed enchantment cheese, you'll want gauntlets or spiked gauntlets.

Necroticplague
2014-10-13, 01:03 AM
A piece of armor can't have multiple armor spikes, though there there are some things like armor spikes you can stack up with them. Armor Spikes are a mod made to armor, not a unique object, so the "armor spikes" are all one thing, despite being made of several objects (as implied by the plural name). Kinda like how a pair of pants is one object.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 01:27 AM
A piece of armor can't have multiple armor spikes, though there there are some things like armor spikes you can stack up with them. Armor Spikes are a mod made to armor, not a unique object, so the "armor spikes" are all one thing, despite being made of several objects (as implied by the plural name). Kinda like how a pair of pants is one object.

Perhaps a better example is a pair of boots of elvenkind is a single item instead of two.

backwaterj
2014-10-13, 01:49 AM
Enchantments on armor spikes affect all spikes equally. For multi-limbed enchantment cheese, you'll want gauntlets or spiked gauntlets.

The thought had crossed my mind, but ultimately decided that Rule of Cool dictated thri-kreen in spiked mithral breastplate was the way to go. :smallbiggrin:

This was my first thought, and then I was like: "that can't be right". Since it seems to be the consensus I'll go with it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Coidzor
2014-10-13, 01:57 AM

Oh? What stacks with armor spikes? I thought the slashing equivalents all stated they were alternatives to armor spikes, disallowing them to be combined. :smallconfused:

Necroticplague
2014-10-13, 02:35 AM
Oh? What stacks with armor spikes? I thought the slashing equivalents all stated they were alternatives to armor spikes, disallowing them to be combined. :smallconfused:

Armor razors do, at least. They say absolutely nothing about armor spikes at all, and are merely armor modification, which I don't know of any rules that limit you to one.