PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How do you actually build a campaign?

NikitaDarkstar
2014-10-13, 10:53 AM
So I've finally gotten sort of fed up with never finding the kind of game I want to play in, so I figured "Hey, lets give this DM'ing thing a shot!", which is an idea I've toyed with for a while. Now I have a general idea of the setting, the conflict, etc. But how do you set up encounters and motivate players to get from point A to B to C? Mind you I don't want to railroad, just give them a direction to go in and hope they decide to go that way. I've been reading some pre-made adventures and such to get some inspiration but I wanted to see what kind of tips and tricks people have up their sleeves.

By the way this would be play-by-post, and either D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder if it makes any difference.

Laughingmanlol
2014-10-13, 12:12 PM
Depending on the campaign, one thing you can do is prepare a series of clues or plot points that lead from one to the next and some additional information, but leave it up to the players to decide on what route they want to go for. For example, a campaign could begin with the adventurers being tasked with finding a Macguffin from a previous era before the antagonists can. It doesn't matter if they decide to go to the library in the capital or to visit the dwarven elders, either way you can have a series of encounters with their opponents prepared and adapt them for whatever the group comes up with, and once they reach the restricted archives or the greybeard lorekeeper who was kidnapped, they can be presented with the next clue that suggests various possibilities for their next destination.
Admittedly, there are flaws with this style. One is that it requires a bit of preparation to have an idea of how to run multiple different possible adventures and how to adapt the encounters to them. For example, replacing a mechanical puzzle and trap sequence that could work for the dwarven holds with a social challenge against an obstructive librarian, say, or deciding a bulette might fit one path but not the other.
Another is that the clues need to be managed carefully enough that the players feel neither lost for options ("one of the races may know the location") nor forced down one path ("the elves are the only race old enough to know the location"), and that they don't get the impression that either choice would have worked.
If they go to the library after having found the clue intended for the first adventure that ended up being in the Dwarf-lands, then reward them based on their motivations. If they did it for the sake of completion, give them information that would be helpful in the endgame but perhaps not before then - knowing the ritual will produce a powerful storm and dangerous lightning bolts as a side effect will be handy for when they're preparing for the showdown that will take place, but is no use if they don't have the item needed to start it. If they are at a dead end and are going there because they can't think of anything else, give them a clarification that provides a better idea of which destinations could work. Just don't let them know that if they did their adventures in the reverse order, they'd receive the same clues anyway. If you can come up with a reason why, (dwarven legends focused on the practical consequences rather than the arcane workings) all the better.
I hope this helps, good luck with your first try DMing!

Stubbazubba
2014-10-13, 12:54 PM
So I've finally gotten sort of fed up with never finding the kind of game I want to play in, so I figured "Hey, lets give this DM'ing thing a shot!", which is an idea I've toyed with for a while. Now I have a general idea of the setting, the conflict, etc. But how do you set up encounters and motivate players to get from point A to B to C? Mind you I don't want to railroad, just give them a direction to go in and hope they decide to go that way. I've been reading some pre-made adventures and such to get some inspiration but I wanted to see what kind of tips and tricks people have up their sleeves.

By the way this would be play-by-post, and either D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder if it makes any difference.

I wish I knew of a guide that really walked you through creating a campaign, from high-level concept stuff all the way down to individual encounters and running a combat. Alas, all I can offer are a bunch of essays that have helped me with one or the other of those principles:

First, The Angry DM's How to Run a Game (http://angrydm.com/category/articles/run-a-game/page/2/) series is, IMO, where every DM should start. He goes in the reverse order, from how to adjudicate a single skill check, all the way up to planning encounters and combats. They run a little long, but they're conversational and leave me feeling pumped to prepare and run adventures every time. Start on the bottom of page 2 there, and work your way back to the top of the front page (inconvenient reverse-ordering is inconvenient).
Second, three articles from the Alexandrian: Don't Prep Plots (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/4147/roleplaying-games/dont-prep-plots), Three Clue Rule (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule), and Node-based Scenario Design (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach). These are a little drier than the Angry DM, but they tackle bigger issues about how whole adventures should be set up. IOW they move on beyond the single-encounter stuff that the Angry DM stops at.

These are by no means things you must read before you begin. In fact, parts of them might make more sense after you've tried to make it up on your own first. However, they have definitely helped me feel more confident in my DMing and really engage my players.

My personal advice, given the PbP and 3.PF nature of your game (also both happen to be self-promotion, so don't read if you don't want to):

Using a grid on a PbP game is very tricky. Theater of the mind lops off a lot of the rules. Play-by-post makes off-turn actions next to impossible. I wrote up some alternative rules that try to make it more doable here (http://criticalinsignificance.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/the-noise-before-defeat/). This is still a rough draft (sorry I haven't written a more polished one yet), but it may prove useful.
One of my favorite DMs and I talk about how to set up better pick-up games in a podcast here (http://criticalinsignificance.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/cip-ep-2-carefully-avoiding-controversy/), relevant bit beginning at 14:55. In brief, 1) decide on and explain the basic premise and major themes that you want the campaign to focus on in your pitch, then 2) take applications; don't just take everyone that asks to play, but say "there are N slots, I'll take applications for X days and pick N people after that." Next, 3) on the application form, ask how their character is tied to the main premise, and how they are tied into the main theme. For example, if you want to run an intrigue-based game involving multiple factions the party will have to choose between, ask which faction they are attached to or support, and why. 4) Pick players whose answers show that they have thought about the setting, the premise, and the theme of your game. They will be the ones most likely to interact and engage with the role-play elements and continue to flesh out their character's motivations through play. They will actually show up and contribute to the game.

Good players are important on any PbP game, and especially when it's your first time DMing. So even if the gridless rules are not worth looking into (and they might not be), I do recommend you take applications and filter them before deciding your roster.

Anyways, hope these help somehow. Good luck!

Mastikator
2014-10-13, 01:08 PM
In my experience the best way to get players to feel involved and motivated with the story is to let them have backstories that tie directly with the stories somehow.
It could be by making their childhood friend/family member/whatever an important NPC.

The second thing is, NPCs are more important than objects, which in turn are more important than scenery. Give every NPC a personality and a caricature, have personalities pre-prepared for when the PCs start engaging with an NPC, they don't need to know that the NPC you made up on the spot has personality nr. 3, to them it will feel real as long as you sell it well (which is a matter of practice).

With the NPCs personalities, overdo them, subtlety will just fly under the player's radars and they'll think the NPCs are bland and all the same.

Besides that I'll second the links Stubbazubba posted.

Red Fel
2014-10-13, 02:46 PM
First off, kudos to jumping into the deep end, also known as the special hell of the nightmare that is DMing. Since this is your first time, a few general guidelines: Consider using a pre-made module. The game is very different on the other side of the DM screen, and there are many new things to which you'll need to adjust. Using a module will streamline the process, and allow you to focus more on the mechanical issues than the overall story and worldbuilding. You can get to that eventually, of course, but sometimes baby steps help. Be upfront with your players. You're a new DM, and that's okay. If your players know that, they'll be prepared to work with you, to improve your DMing skills which will in turn improve their gaming experience. By being upfront with your players, they can have an idea of what to expect, which will help everyone gel as a table. The same holds true with respect to being upfront about house rules, setting information, and limits on character concept. Do not attempt to do everything at once. Know your limits. Are you unfamiliar with a particular source or mechanic? It's okay to say "Not this time." Are you having issues with a particular rules adjudication? It's okay to say "I don't know this all that well. I'll read up on it later, but for now, please don't fight me on it, okay?" A talent of great DMs is knowing the limits of their knowledge and abilities, and playing exceptionally within those borders. Avoid the DMPC crutch. It's a common fall-back position - many new DMs, if they see the PCs wandering aimlessly, or missing the plot, or lacking for a particular skillset, will simply provide them with an NPC that accomplishes what's needed. It's a trap and a crutch, and you can do better. Trust your players to do what they need to; don't feel compelled to introduce your own character to help out. Let nothing be beyond value. Nobody is kill-proof. No object is so integral to the plot that it must be forced upon the PCs. Same with characters. Everything can be destroyed, everyone can die. Accept it and you'll be well on your way to avoiding the classic railroad pitfalls. Abandon fixed, linear plots. Just give up on the idea now, before you start. Have a general idea, sure, but be prepared to wing things. Unless your players agree in advance to follow the plot from A to B to C, it's entirely possible that they'll veer off at a random time in search of J. And while it's tempting to try to get them back to point C, that way lies railroading. For some players, that's important - there are some games that screech to a halt if the players don't have direction forced upon them. But for many, it's immersion-breaking. If you must have your plot evolve in a particular order, find a way to tailor the plot to the direction the players go, rather than tailoring the PCs' actions to fit the plot.
Now, onto more setting-based stuff...

In my experience the best way to get players to feel involved and motivated with the story is to let them have backstories that tie directly with the stories somehow.

A world of this. Some of my best DM experiences involved DMs who started with a general setting and campaign concept, solicited backstories from the players, and customized the setting and plot in such a manner that who the PCs were became important. In one Dragonlance campaign, we had a gnome, a divine construct, and a Black Robe Wizard in our party; the DM had us discover a gnomish submarine, identified and maintained by the gnome and construct, that could be operated by the Black Robe Wizard's Unseen Servants. We had a Noble Draconian in our party, who eventually was entrusted with a Lance - a dragon wielding a Dragonlance! At one point, we were attacked by Dark Knights, and our gnome built a parabolic laser - it was insane! Each player who bothered to submit a backstory and evolve his character was rewarded with the discovery of material in the setting that was absolutely perfect for them. It wasn't a case of being showered with rewards, but rather encountering things and saying, "Hey, this has to do with me! I get to be a star!"

Because that's the optimum player experience, right there - walking away from a session knowing that your PC, for just a few moments, was the center of the universe. A good DM is able to accomplish that for a player. A great DM is able to accomplish that for multiple players at the same time.

TheThan
2014-10-13, 04:02 PM
Games run on something called a Campaign. Think of a campaign as a story where the players are the actors and the Dm is producer and sort of the director. He doesn’t tell the players what to do, but directs them where they need to be for the story to unfold.
Typically campaigns are broken down into sections called encounters an encounter, simply put is where the PCs have to overcome an obstacle. Nearly anything can be an encounter, talking to the traveling merchant, fighting a group of orcs in a dungeon, pick pocketing a drunk at the local tavern; you get the idea. Encounters are typically (but not always) where players earn experience points. Encounters are used to measure and control what happens during play.

So how do you make an encounter? Here’s a quick and dirty step by step guide:

1: decide what the encounter should be about. This is a bit strait forward and a little on the “duh” side of things. But it’s worth saying. How can you make anything if you don’t know what you’re supposed to be making? The encounter should have clear goals and definable victory conditions.

2: decide what sort of encounter it will be. is it a combat encounter? A role-playing encounter? What specifically do you want the PCs to accomplish in this encounter? Once you decide this, you need to make sure to be a bit flexible and allow players to accomplish their goals the way they see fit.

3: check party power. Most encounters should be at a level appropriate for the party to face and still be a fair challenge. In Level based games like DnD this work is sort of done for you. Levels serve as a sort of measuring stick for determining how powerful characters are. There will be a fair amount of wiggle room but generally it’s fairly accurate. Monsters, traps, NPCs and other things typically have a difficulty class (DC) or challenge rating (CR), which you compare to the level of the party and determine if it’s an appropriate enough encounter. So in theory, a CR 4 gargoyle should be an appropriate challenge for a level 4 party. Most games have a system in place to help the DM figure this stuff out; refer to those specific rules for details.

4: Plan the encounter. This is where you start to determine where threats are placed, the sort of terrain is in play. You get the idea. This is probably where you will spend most of your time, but it’s actually the least important of the steps; as players should have enough control over their characters to be able to come up with clever solutions, which can totally circumvent your endeavors. See later on.

5: determine rewards. Players should be rewarded for overcoming obstacles. However that doesn’t mean that they should be rewarded immediately but you need to know how much experience and loot to give out for their endeavors. Most RGPs have a system in place for determining this.

6: tie things together. Encounters are like scenes from a movie. In some movies scenes flow smoothly from one to the next, other times the scene cuts to the next scene. The major difference is how well these scenes are tied together. The style of game you are running, the circumstances in that game and how the players react to your encounters will all determine how each encounter will connect to each other. There is no right or wrong way to connect encounters together; this connection is the story of the campaign; which should be highly dependent on the players and their characters driving the story forward.

If you can follow these six steps you should be able to create the basic building blocks of a campaign.
Here is some more general advice I feel I should point out:

Always provide multiple “outs”: there is a tendency for new DMs to provide a single item or source the PCs need to progress forward, a key, a password, a clue to solving the murder mystery, you name it. The problem is that pcs tend to miss these things. They don’t get the riddle, they can’t find the key you placed in what you thought was an obvious place etc. when this happens, allow the players to use their ingenuity to figure out a solution. Even if that solution is the complete opposite of what you had planned. You can work around the situation later. The key principle here is to not let the game get bogged down and grind to a halt as they come up with solutions that don’t work (let some of them work), have to backtrack to find that key, or just give up (I’ve seen that happen). Keep the game flowing even if you have to re-write sections of your planned adventure to accommodate them missing “it”.

Expect the unexpected: players tend to be a little… random. You can never really expect PCs to act in a consistent manner, so you can’t expect them to act to any given threat a certain way. Be ready for them to fight when they should bargain or bargain when they should fight, and generally do the opposite of what you think they’re going to do. So be ready for players to throw you curveballs, they most certainly will.

Don’t lock down the story: Another tendency for new Dms is to write a strict story with predetermined outcomes and events. They do this because they’ve been reading books, watching movies and playing video game RPGs for inspiration and then they start writing. The problem is that you are forcing players to behave a certain way in order for “your story” to unfold. As I previously stated, that won’t happen. Not only to players act erratically enough that this isn’t going to happen, but players tend to chaff at being told what to do.
It’s their story too, so instead paint broad strokes that will lead the players where you want them to go and the players should follow. If they don’t, redirect your story to where they want to go instead and work from there. The story of the campaign needs to be flexible enough that it feels organic to the players. This means that you may start a campaign expecting to go left, but the game curved right instead. This is not a bad thing.

Well I think I’ve rambled on long enough. I hope this information helps.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-10-13, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, at the very least it should give me enough confidence to try this, and hopefully it turns out to be something I enjoy.