PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Devotion. What to learn?

Tabris92
2014-10-13, 01:03 PM
Upon numerous suggestions I decided to start with the education feat and knowledge devotion.
But I have no idea what knowledge skills to even use right now!
I now have every knowledge skill as a class skill, so I guess I know a little about everything.
This was entirely for the insight bonuses to atk and dmg, so I know Ima need the more monster specific knowledge skills, but I cant even find a list of the knowledge skills that are in DnD.
I want to make sure im doing this right.

Svata
2014-10-13, 01:15 PM
K. Arcana for Dragons, Golems, and (I think) Magical Beasts.
K. Dungeoneering for Aberrations and Oozes
K. Local for Humanoids
K. Nature for Animals, Giants, and Monstrous Humanoids
K. Planes for Outsiders and Elementals
K. Religion for Undead.

I am not 100% sure of all those, but it should be mostly accurate.

Look under the description of the knowledge skills on the SRD or in your PHB for a list of all of them, and to be 100% accurate.

nyjastul69
2014-10-13, 01:16 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm) is the list of standard knowledge skills. There are several other knowledge skills introduced in several other splat books. Check with your DM to see which of those are included. The types of creatures that can be identified through knowledge skills is listed in each knowledge skill description.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-13, 01:17 PM
Well, the first thing to do is see how often each Knowledge skill will benefit you. The creatures types keyed to each Knowledge skill are:

Arcana: Constructs, Dragons, Magical Beasts
Dungeoneering: Aberrations, Oozes
Local: Humanoids
Nature: Animals, Fey, Giants, Monstrous Humanoids, Plants, Vermin
Religion: Undead
The Planes: Outsiders, Elementals

From this, we can see that Arcana and Nature are both worth keeping high. Nature covers a whopping six types, at least twice as many as any other, and all of them are fairly common across most if not all levels. Arcana contains Dragons, one of the most powerful creature types and one that is almost certain to appear in most campaigns, as well as Magical Beasts, which are (IIRC) the broadest creature type. In addition, Arcana covers Constructs, which tend to have high DR and magic resistance, so the more bonus damage the better. If you have the skill points to max out each of these skills, do so.

The next most important one is, oddly enough, Knowledge (Local). It covers only one creature type, but take a look at what that creature type is: Humanoid. You're (probably) a humanoid. Your party members are (probably) humanoids. Most of the mooks you'll fight will be humanoids. Odds are that BBEG and his henchmen will be humanoids. Having at least some bonus against humanoids will be useful very often. Put in a few skill points, but maxing it out isn't necessary. 2 ranks at 1st level and 1 rank at every odd-numbered level after that should suffice.

After that it's a bit of a toss-up, depending on your campaign. If you're going to be going to other planes, Knowledge (The Planes) is a must. Fighting a mind flayer cult? Dungeoneering will serve you well. Religion affects only one creature type, but undead are very common in a lot of games. One of these will be worth putting half ranks into (e.g. 2 ranks at 1st level, and another rank at every even-numbered level, to mesh with Local); put a few ranks (five should suffice) into the other two so that you still get a bonus when they pop up.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-13, 01:18 PM
K. Local for Humanoids
K. Religion for Undead.

Look under the description of the knowledge skills on the SRD or in your PHB for a list of all of them, and to be 100% accurate.

Only forgot fey, vermin, and plants, not bad.

Seerow
2014-10-13, 01:18 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm

So updating the list Svata gave:

K. Arcana for Dragons, Constructs, and Magical Beasts.
K. Local for Humanoids
K. Nature for Animals, Fey, Giants, Monstrous Humanoids, Plants, and Vermin
K. Religion for Undead.

Here is the list of standard knowledge skills. There are several other knowledge skills introduced in several other splat books. Check with your DM to see which of those are included. The types of creatures that can be identified through knowledge skills is listed in each knowledge skill description.

I don't think any knowledges introduced in later books are used for identifying creatures.

nyjastul69
2014-10-13, 01:21 PM
K. Local for Humanoids
K. Religion for Undead.

Knowledge arcana isn't limited to golems, it includes all constructs.

Knowledge nature also includes the Fey, Plant and Vermin types.

nyjastul69
2014-10-13, 01:24 PM

K. Local for Humanoids
K. Religion for Undead.

I don't think any knowledges introduced in later books are used for identifying creatures.

No they don't. But if one wants to be knowledgable in all areas, their possible existence should be considered.

ETA: Knowledge psionics seems to be a non-core skill that can be used to identify psionic creatures. Again, I urge the OP to check with the DM to find out exactly which skills are included in their game.

Svata
2014-10-13, 01:31 PM

K. Local for Humanoids
K. Religion for Undead.

Considering I did it off the yop of my head, and the only one of those that's at all common is Fey, I'd say I did fairly well.

Chronos
2014-10-13, 06:41 PM
From the OP:

I now have every knowledge skill as a class skill, so I guess I know a little about everything.
No, you can now potentially know a little about everything. You still need to spend skill points on ranks in the skills; having them as class skills just makes this a little easier.

Note that, since knowledge skills are trained-only, it's a good idea to put at least one point each into all of them, even the ones you don't expect to use very often. That one point makes the difference between "I have no chance of knowing" and "Maybe, if I roll well and maybe have some miscellaneous bonuses".

Fax Celestis
2014-10-13, 06:53 PM
Trained only means "even if you roll a 20, the highest DC you can beat is 10 without ranks." Definitely put at least one rank in every knowledge skill.