PDA

View Full Version : Nemycyst: Homebrew Monster

Torpedo Ted
2007-03-16, 06:49 PM
Please tell me what you think of this monster. I'm open to all critisims and ideas. P.S. I think I got some of the attack bonuses wrong. Please forgive my noobishness
WARNING:IF YOUR NAME IS DAN PALLIES, TIM CARR, OR THOMAS QUINLAN, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!:furious:

Nemycyst

Type/size: Huge Aberration
H.P.: 8d8+16 (48 H.P.)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 100 ft. (perfect) (20 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-2 size, +7 Dex, +7 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+21
Attack: Bite +7 melee (2d6+5) or Tentacle +9 (1d6+5) or Ink +11 (1d6 Con. Dmg, Fort 17 negates)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (2d6+5) and 8 Tentacles +9 (1d6+5) and Ink+ 11 (1d6 Con. Dmg 1d6 secondary dmg, Fort 17 negates for both)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./ 20 ft.
Special Attacks: Ink
Special Qualities: Evasion, Dark vision 90ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +10, Will +5
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 25, Con 15, Int 5, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +8
Feats: Snatch, Multiattack, Improved Grab, and Flyby Attack
Environment: Deserts
Organization: Single or Pack (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement: 9-10 HD Huge; 11-12 HD Gargantuan; 13-14 HD Colossal
Level Adjustment: -

Ink: A Nemycyst can shoot a cloud of ink that provides conceilment for all creatures in a 20 by 20 area, or it can shoot a 20 foot line of ink at one creature. This is useable every 1d4 hours

This huge, squid like creature has dark, scaly skin, and eight long, thick tentacles protruding from it’s back, which it can use to walk on, but prefers to fly. It has red, bloodshot eyes, a circular mouth filled with rows of sharp teeth, and omits a strong fowl smell. Nemycysts typicaly hunt alone or in packs, but it is possible for them to be domesicated, (probably by someone evil aligned) for riding/ fighting puposes.

Maerok
2007-03-16, 08:09 PM
I think an Improved Grab would do it justice. What is its darkvision range?

Torpedo Ted
2007-03-16, 08:23 PM
Oh, forgot to add darkvision, and snatch assumes it has improved grab, so I didn't bother to wright it in, but I'll change it.

Hefty Lefty
2007-03-16, 08:40 PM
Are you copying (or paying homage to) the Nemacyst from Gears of War? Because if so, there are some things you should know. First of all, "Nemacyst" has one Y. Second, I'm pretty sure they don't actually shoot ink, as much as they are inky. Lastly, a really good idea would be to create stats for the Seeder, the thing that creates and shoots Nemacysts out. What next, a new spell "Hammer of Dawn"? Just kidding, it's a cool monster.

Torpedo Ted
2007-03-16, 09:22 PM
O.K. First of all, yes, I did base it off of that, but I decided to change it a little, no big deal. Second, I didn't want to copy the name exactly, because, for one, I think Nemycyst sounds better, and two, someone might yell at me for compleatly coping the name. Third, well, accually, I don't have a third.

P.S. Not to be supid about the whole "Gears of Wars monsters" theme, but would a kryll based monster be dumb?

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-16, 10:55 PM
Interesting concept. The one thing that jumps out as me as probably a bit off is that Ink attack. If it's a poison of some sort, it might be better to connect it to another attack form - a bite or a tentacle attack. Also, that part of the entry lacks details - is it a ranged attack? A ranged touch? A line effect? What range? Personally, I think a line effect "breath weapon" usable every 1d4 rounds, or so, that functions as a contact poison with Initial and Secondary damage of 1d6 Con, would probably be a better way to stat it out. Might be a bit powerful for a CR 6 creature, however. In fact, I'd likely bump up the CR on this one as-is, but I'll admit I'm not the best at pegging challenge ratings for homebrewed monsters.

P.S. Not to be supid about the whole "Gears of Wars monsters" theme, but would a kryll based monster be dumb?
I think it would be interesting; probably best done as a swarm. The drones, boomers, and Theron guards seem less interesting to stat out - some variations of orcs, ogres, and hobgoblins would probably cover things nicely. Wretches would probably be easily taken care of by a variant goblin. Berserkers and corpsers, though, would be quite interesting.

Torpedo Ted
2007-03-17, 05:09 PM
You have a good point, Gorbash. I added stuff for the ink and bumped up the CR. Kryll monster coming soon...