PDA

View Full Version : My Teleporting Bushi Zweihander Sentinel WIP

Ironsides
2014-10-13, 02:24 PM
My Attempt at a Katana Wielding Lightning Bruiser Build (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LightningBruiser)

I really like to customize different classes and I an in love with Path of War’s Warder class and its archetype the Zweihander Sentinel. Then I wanted to customize it further by adding the Bushi Template (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hHsiSKoL2nR4oWgzPKQwXfqYENuNkDmBiX323SlTPfc/edit) and add in the Martial Tradition The Wayward Path so I could teleport at will. This build comes online on the 9th level with the Stance of the Ether Gate so I can teleport around the battlefield being awesome. Lets look at this stance.

Stance of the Ether Gate

“By shifting his essence partially into the Astral plane, the disciple finds that moving through that plane as just as easy as moving through the Material plane. While the disciple is in this stance, he may teleport up to his movement speed as a move action, or twice his movement speed as a full round action, at will. He must see his destination clearly to be able to teleport to it. The initiator may not take any creatures with him when teleporting; only himself and the gear he is carrying plus up to an additional 20 lbs. This stance meets the qualifications for the Dimensional Agility feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility), should the initiator wish to take them.”

Also for roleplay reasons I will be two-handing a katana (1d8, 18–20/×2, deadly) instead of something like a greatsword (2d6, 19–20/×2). Also the Bushi template removes heavy armor proficiency which starts to make this build look very similar to the Warblade from the Tomb of Battle but I think I'll add Heavy Armor Proficiency feat because our dexterity is a flat 10.

Stats:

I think that intelligence is very important to this build. At the 4th level you get Tactical Acumen which lets you add you intelligence to your Reflex Save and your initiative which means you can dump dexterity. Also you get combat reflexes keyed off of intelligence instead of dexterity.

25 Point buy with +2 INT from being a human

STR: 16, DEX: 10, CON: 12, INT: 19, WIS: 10, CHA: 10

Traits:

Dangerously Curious (Magic Trait): +1 to Use Magic Device and it becomes a class skill (I think having the flexibility of magical devices is good for any build). Thanks Deuxhere for suggesting Pragmatic Activator.

Pragmatic Activator (Magic Trait): While you only start with just a +4 from your intelligence modifier you will be increasing your intelligence every chance you get until you get more benefit from this trait than from Dangerously Curious.
Armor Expert (Combat Trait): This reduces an Armor Check penalty by 1 which will help with stealth checks. I think that since I want to be kinda stealthy and having this paired with mithral armor will make this build easier to sneak around with.

I am very open for better suggestions on traits. These two stood out but Clever Wordplay would be a big boost to one of my maneuver class skills.

Skills:

8 skill points + 1 from being an awesome human per level to start with

The 4 Martial Disciplines and their class skills this build has are:

Perform Dance: Mithral Current is keyed off of this. Maybe you can roleplay this skill to earn money and fame?
Sense Motive: Scarlet Throne
Stealth: Veiled Moon which replaces Iron Tortoise and the Bluff skill.
Diplomacy: Golden Lion's discipline and a good skill to have.

The other five skills I would boost would be.

Use Magic Device: Class skill and +1 bonus with Dangerously Curious.
Perception: Cross class skill but I have extra skill points to spend.
Intimidate: Good social skill.
Acrobatics: This is a toss up because once you can teleport you don't need to avoid AoO since I don't think at will teleportation triggers an attack.

Then use the last skill point to alternate between Climb, Swim, and whatever else I thought would help.

Feats:

Note I am listing all the feats so that I know what I have for prerequisites.

#1.
Quick Draw: You get this for free from the Bushi Template.
Endurance: Free feat from joining the The Wayward Path Martial Tradition.
Combat Reflexes: This feat is from the classes’s features and it is keyed of of intelligence instead of dexterity.
Power Attack: As my Human Bonus Feat. Also Power Attack is a prerequisite for so many things.
Heavy Armor Proficiency: Now hear me out on this. This build has a 0 dexterity modifier to help with AC with medium armor. Also while stealth is cool and the key skill for some Veiled Moon maneuvers we are using Veiled Moon primarily for its teleportation ability with Stance of the Ether Gate. Also the Bushi Template removes Heavy Armor Proficiency so we need to get it back. What do you guys think?
#3.
Martial Charge: This allows you to perform a strike maneuver at the end of a charge instead of an attack. This works with Dimensional Assault when you get it.
#5.
Victorious Recovery: Once per encounter, you may recover maneuvers equal to your initiator modifier when you reduce an opponent to zero or less hit points.
#7.
Dimensional Agility: This lets you use the Stance of the Ether Gate and then use another action like attack someone or perform a maneuver. It may take GM fiat to allow you to take the feat when you don’t qualify for it yet though. :/
Mixed Combat: Get this for free from Bushi Template. Now you can now sheathe your katana as a free action.
#9.
Advanced Study (Stance of the Ether Gate): Hmmm I was looking over when stances are learned and saw while you got a new stance on the 8th level you do not qualify for Stance of the Ether Gate because it is a 5th level maneuver that you only qualify for at the 9th level. If you don't use a feat to get this stance you have to wait until your 11th level. I think that at will teleport is worthwhile enough to jump through some hoops for.
#11.
Dimensional Assault: Being able to appear out of thin air and charge them makes me feel fuzzy inside.
#13.Two Feats
Powerful Mark: The penalty for your armiger's mark ability increases by 2, and the save DC for your armiger's mark grand challenge increases by +2.
Guard's Glare: Keeping people from running away from you is an awesome option. I can imagine myself teleporting up to the BBEG marking him and leaving him unable to run away from me. :smallbiggrin:
#15.
Tactical Rush: Once per encounter you may move up to your speed as a swift action.
#17.
Advanced Study: To pick up additional 9th level maneuvers.
#18.
(Free Combat or Tactical Feat)
Lightning Recovery: As a free action, after you've use a martial strike, counter, or boost, you may instantly recover that maneuver. You may do this once per day.
#19.
Advanced Study Pick up additional 8th and 9th level maneuvers.

Maneuvers and Stances levels 1-10

1st Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 1, Golden Lion 1

Mithril Current (MC):
Tidal Blade (Strike): Hit two adjacent as if you had the Cleave feat and if you draw your weapon you have a nice little +2 bonus.

Flowing Creek (Counter): A counter with Perform (Dance) with a free 5 foot step. I really like the mental image of this counter. :) This seems like a maneuver scales well as it ages.

Scarlet Throne (ST):
Red Zephyr’s Strike (Strike): Hit and opponent and make a 10 foot movement for free.

Scarlet Einhander (Stance): You get a nice +2 shield bonus to your AC and an extra 1d6 points of damage to your damage. It also scales over time. I like this better than Ready The Draw.

Golden Lion (GL):
Pride Movement (Boost): As a swift action you may grant an adjacent ally a free move action.

Veiled Moon (VM):
Disturbing Blow (Strike): After you hit your target they take a -4 on their next D20 roll. This is a nice little debuff. I am taking this to meet the minimum prerequisites for other Veiled Moon maneuvers.

2nd Level: Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 1, Golden Lion 1

Mithril Current (MC):
Following Wake (Strike): You attack and make a free trip attempt that does not provoke an AoO. Also you use your Perform (Dance) skill in place of your CMB. I really like how the Perform Dance skill is used in Mithral Current.

Spirit Sensing Stance (Stance): I took this stance because I don’t know what else to take. Scent is a good ability as well as sense incorporeal creatures within 30 feet. I am open to suggestions on this one.

3rd Level: Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 2, Golden Lion 1

Veiled Moon (VM):
Fading Strike (Strike): This is an awesome maneuver that lets you move, teleport, and attack in any order you choose. This gives you a taste of what is to come on the 9th level. Take it, love it, never let it go.

4th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 2, Veiled Moon 2, Golden Lion 1

Scarlet Throne:
Rising Zenith Strike (Strike): You make an attack using your Sense Motive and then double the results. I like it. The other runner up is Warning Roar. This replaces Tidal Break but I am open to replace something else.

5th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 2, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 1

Veiled Moon:
Ghostwalk (Boost): You become incorporeal for 6 seconds. Being able to walk through walls and opponents is an awesome ability! I love all the different uses this can be put to.

Mithril Current:
Flowing Water Stance (Stance): This does 4 separate things for a Bushi character.
Makes you harder to hit with a +4 to your AC
Boosts your CMD by +4
Increases your initiative by +4 so you can act sooner
And finally you can sheathe your weapon once per turn as a free action that doesn’t provoke an AoO

6th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne
Strike of Defeat (Strike): A strike that does more damage the less HP an opponent has. This is a good finishing blow to an annoying opponent.

Replacing Pride Movement

7th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Veiled Moon:
Flicker Strike (Strike): You teleport in make an attack then teleport safely away. You do all of this without provoking any AoO. This is a better version of Fading Strike.

8th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne:
Sanguine Perseverance (Counter): You replace ANY saving throw with your Sense Motive skill. You will never get rid of this maneuver. As Elricaltovilla said in his guide, “Get this, use it, love it, never let it go.”

Replacing Red Zephyr’s Strike: The 10 foot movement that it grants doesn’t seem as important when you can just teleport away after a strike.

Veiled Moon:
Formless Dance (Stance): This grants you Blur spell and the See Invisible spell. This is a nice little utility stance that Veiled Moon has an abundance of.

9th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 4, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne:
Sanguine Perfection (Counter): You remember Iron Heart Surge from the Tome of Battle? This is the fixed version that lets you ignore any of its listed negative effects equal to your initiator modifier. This is so good for you.

Veiled Moon:
Stance of the Ether Gate (Stance of Winning!!!): This stance is what this build is all about. Note that without Dimensional Agility that you cannot perform any actions after you teleport until the start of your next turn. Also note that I get this through the Advanced Study feat because this is a 5 level initiator maneuver and I cant take it before now on the 8th level.

10th Level: Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 4, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 0

Mithral Current:
Whirlpool Strike (Strike): You make a Whirlwind Attack without the feat or the feats crippling prerequisites. Also you do this with an extra 3d6 of damage on top of it and if you draw your weapon as part of this maneuver you can attack everyone you can reach not just the ones adjacent to you. Good for teleporting into a crowd and putting the hurt on said crowd.

Replacing Disturbing Blow

Some questions I have to make this build better.

Is there a way to increase your move speed to make your teleportation better other that going with light armor?

Does Dimensional Assault (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-assault) and Martial Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Martial-Charge-Combat-) work together? Thanks for clearing that up Elricaltovilla.

What feats do you guys recommend towards the end of this build?

I also want to thank Elricaltovilla for all the hard work he has done making those awesome guides of his. They really helped me out figuring out what I wanted to do.

Bluydee
2014-10-13, 02:28 PM
Quick thing to note is to use a nodachi instead of a katana. It has a die size higher with the same crit range.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-13, 03:28 PM
You're also welcome for the bushi template, cuz I wrote that too :smalltongue:

Furious focus can be good for initiators because most strikes are single attacks, meaning that you can pretty much power attack for free.

Dimensional Assault and Martial Charge should play well together. For 15 and 19 I'd look for feats that expand your options, Defensive Web makes your Warder recovery a very powerful trap, guard's glare gives more utility to intimidate, and Discipline Mastery let's you take 10 on any skill check with an associated skill.

If you're planning on sticking with the same weapon for the character, I'd enchant it with keen instead of taking improved critical.

I'm glad you were able to use my guides. Its always nice to know my work is useful and appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Ironsides
2014-10-13, 05:40 PM
Quick thing to note is to use a nodachi instead of a katana. It has a die size higher with the same crit range.

Hmm lets see katana is an exotic one-handed weapon with 1d8, 18–20/×2, with the deadly special ability but a nodachi is a 1d10, 18–20/×2 with the brace special ability that is an eastern martial weapon. Looks like a good trade up to me. Wouldn't this also qualify for Mithral Current's discipline weapon even though its an eastern weapon?

You're also welcome for the bushi template, cuz I wrote that too :smalltongue:

Furious focus can be good for initiators because most strikes are single attacks, meaning that you can pretty much power attack for free.

Dimensional Assault and Martial Charge should play well together. For 15 and 19 I'd look for feats that expand your options, Defensive Web makes your Warder recovery a very powerful trap, guard's glare gives more utility to intimidate, and Discipline Mastery let's you take 10 on any skill check with an associated skill.

If you're planning on sticking with the same weapon for the character, I'd enchant it with keen instead of taking improved critical.

I'm glad you were able to use my guides. Its always nice to know my work is useful and appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Keen is better than improved critical. Ill change that in the build and replace that feat with something else. Ill replace it with Guard's Glare. I like the option of switching roles and locking something down when the need arises.

I thought Dimensional Assault/Martial Charge do work together but wanted to be on solid ground that they are RAW friendly. Sometimes things I think should work together don't because of some obscure reason.

As far as Defensive Web is concerned I thought the developers killed this feat for being too powerful/too vague. I don't see it for on my copy of the PDF or in the PFSRD. I think ErrantX got fed up with the issues it caused. (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=3545/highlight=defensive+web.html)

Also on a somewhat unrelated note Elricaltovilla I think that there is a mistake in the Zweihander Sentinel Archetype. I pointed this out elsewhere and on the Dreamscarred Press boards but I haven't got an answer back.

I think that Zweihander Sentinel losing Bluff instead of Acrobatics as a class skill is a copy and paste error. From the PDF it says that "The Broken Blade’s associated skill is Acrobatics, and its associated weapon groups are close, monk, and natural (page 28)." Which leads to "The Iron Tortoise discipline’s associated skill is Bluff, and its associated weapon groups are axes, heavy blades, and close weapons (page 28)."

"The warder gains access to the Scarlet Throne discipline and loses access to Broken Blade. Bluff is no longer a class skill; Sense Motive is now a class skill (page 129)."

"Armament Shield (Ex): When wielding a onehanded weapon in two hands or a two-handed weapon, the weapon is treated as a light shield for the purposes of performing a shield bash attack on an opponent. The warder smashes with the butt of a spear-haft, the pommel of a greatsword, or the broadside of her axe. All are essentially the same and are treated as light shields for the purposes of shieldbash attacks or martial maneuvers to be used with a weapon of this type (such as Iron Tortoise maneuvers that require a shield to function)(page 129)."

This implies to me that Iron Tortoise was removed from the archetype first but was later added back in without changing the correct skill. I think Acrobatics isn't a class skill for the Sentinel while Bluff should still be. Though this hardly matters in this build since I got rid of Iron Tortoise anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Ironsides
2014-10-13, 05:58 PM
I think I found another interesting feat called Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final). Would this work with any maneuver or is it to specific an action. I already says that it does not work with Spring Attack and Charges but I want to make sure.

Fore those who want to know what it does:

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Even if it does not work with Martial Maneuvers I wonder if you can use power attack with it. I love the thought of teleporting next to the wizard and doing MASSIVE damage to the little weasel.

The rest of this feat chain are Improved Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-vital-strike-combat---final), Greater Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-vital-strike-combat---final), and Devastating Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/devastating-strike-combat).

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-13, 06:19 PM
Do NOT use Vital Strike. It takes a standard action to use (can't be combined with strikes or charges), and it only increases weapon damage, not strength bonus, extra damage dice, or power attack. You're wasting 3 feats to do less damage than you could do with a strike you'd get access to 3-5 levels earlier.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-13, 06:42 PM
Also on a somewhat unrelated note Elricaltovilla I think that there is a mistake in the Zweihander Sentinel Archetype. I pointed this out elsewhere and on the Dreamscarred Press boards but I haven't got an answer back.

That's a known issue. I brought it up when I was making the guide for the Warder, way back when. There isn't a fix for it yet as far as I know. I'd say the most likely thing is that you should be dropping Acrobatics instead of Bluff.

Other potentially useful feats include: Tactical Rush (extra movement as a swift action), Lightning Recovery (recover 1 maneuver as a free action), Powerful Mark (increases penalty of Armiger's mark) and Victorious Recovery (recover maneuvers when you kill an opponent). As an initiator, you want to be able to use your maneuvers as often as possible, so extra recovery options are always good.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-13, 07:02 PM
My Attempt at a Katana Wielding Lightning Bruiser Build (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LightningBruiser)

If you want a Lightning Bruiser, why aren't you using Lightning Warrior? I know that the fact that it doesn't get a familiar can be a turn-off to some, but IMO it's not actually too weak of a class.

Ironsides
2014-10-13, 07:25 PM
That's a known issue. I brought it up when I was making the guide for the Warder, way back when. There isn't a fix for it yet as far as I know. I'd say the most likely thing is that you should be dropping Acrobatics instead of Bluff.

Other potentially useful feats include: Tactical Rush (extra movement as a swift action), Lightning Recovery (recover 1 maneuver as a free action), Powerful Mark (increases penalty of Armiger's mark) and Victorious Recovery (recover maneuvers when you kill an opponent). As an initiator, you want to be able to use your maneuvers as often as possible, so extra recovery options are always good.

Tactical Rush seams like an excellent adition. I like the idea of rushing up to someone as a free action, striking and Marking them, then teleporting away leaving them with a penalty to attacking anyone else. Powerful Mark plays into this idea as well.

Victorious Recovery seems like a must have for any initiating class. "Once per encounter, you may recover maneuvers equal to your initiator modifier when you reduce an opponent to zero or less hit points." Getting back up to your INT modifier in maneuvers is awesome.

Do NOT use Vital Strike. It takes a standard action to use (can't be combined with strikes or charges), and it only increases weapon damage, not strength bonus, extra damage dice, or power attack. You're wasting 3 feats to do less damage than you could do with a strike you'd get access to 3-5 levels earlier.

I see, I guess I leave it in the trash bin then. I was looking at THF builds looking for feats and this popped up so I wanted to get opinions about it.

I am about to update and edit the build I have.

Thanks for the quick responses Elricaltovilla. BTW I think you need to update your signature with the new handbooks you have and as well as the class templates I do use those links. :biggrin:

Ironsides
2014-10-14, 09:31 PM
I am still working on this build and now I have gotten to the maneuvers.

I want to use Mithral Current and Scarlet Throne for their strikes and counters. I will only pick up teleportation maneuvers from Veiled Moon because I am wearing heavy armor my AC penalty gimps the stealth check counters that this discipline has. Golden Lion will only be lightly drawn from for its best party boosts and counters but I may just dump it so I can get more stuff from the other 3 disciplines.

Mithril Current (MC)
Scarlet Throne (ST)
Veiled Moon (VM)
Golden Lion (GL)

1st Level:

Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 1, Golden Lion 1

Mithril Current (MC):
Tidal Blade (Strike): Hit two adjacent as if you had the Cleave feat and if you draw your weapon you have a nice little +2 bonus.

Flowing Creek (Counter): A counter with Perform (Dance) with a free 5 foot step. I really like the mental image of this counter. :) This seems like a maneuver scales well as it ages.

Scarlet Throne (ST):
Red Zephyr’s Strike (Strike): Hit and opponent and make a 10 foot movement for free.

Scarlet Einhander (Stance): You get a nice +2 shield bonus to your AC and an extra 1d6 points of damage to your damage. It also scales over time. I like this better than Ready The Draw.

Golden Lion (GL):
Pride Movement (Boost): As a swift action you may grant an adjacent ally a free move action.

Veiled Moon (VM):
Disturbing Blow (Strike): After you hit your target they take a -4 on their next D20 roll. This is a nice little debuff. I am taking this to meet the minimum prerequisites for other Veiled Moon maneuvers.

2nd Level:

Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 1, Golden Lion 1

Mithril Current (MC):
Following Wake (Strike): You attack and make a free trip attempt that does not provoke an AoO. Also you use your Perform (Dance) skill in place of your CMB. I really like how the Perform Dance skill is used in Mithral Current.

Spirit Sensing Stance (Stance): I took this stance because I don’t know what else to take. Scent is a good ability as well as sense incorporeal creatures within 30 feet. I am open to suggestions on this one.

3rd Level:

Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 1, Veiled Moon 2, Golden Lion 1

Veiled Moon (VM):
Fading Strike (Strike): This is an awesome maneuver that lets you move, teleport, and attack in any order you choose. This gives you a taste of what is to come on the 9th level. Take it, love it, never let it go.

4th Level:

Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 2, Veiled Moon 2, Golden Lion 1

Scarlet Throne:
Rising Zenith Strike (Strike): You make an attack using your Sense Motive and then double the results. I like it. The other runner up is Warning Roar. This replaces Tidal Break but I am open to replace something else.

I will update the other maneuvers as I get time to work on them. So, what do you guys think?

deuxhero
2014-10-15, 11:31 AM
Dangerously Curious is only ever a +4 to UMD. With your intelligence and charisma scores making UMD intelligence based with Pragmatic Activator or Clever Wordplay is a +4 at the minimum, but will grow as your intelligence does (and it will) so it's objectively superior.

There are WAY easier ways to get +3 AC (the difference between a breastplate and full plate) than spending a feat. Even if you were dependent upon heavy armor for class features, if you're taking Armor Expert and have DSP stuff open. Mithral +1 Fusing Full Plate of Comfort has 1 ACP enabling you to wear it without penalty despite non-prof thanks to Armor Expert so don't bother with heavy armor prof.

stack
2014-10-15, 11:55 AM
In PF you must have the base armor proficiency for mithral armors to not take the penalty. Mithral full plate still needs heavy proficiency.

deuxhero
2014-10-15, 12:05 PM
All non-prof penalties are based on ACP. If an armor has 0 ACP there is not non-prof penalty.

stack
2014-10-15, 12:16 PM
Ah, misread your post. Thought you ended with 1 ACP, not 0.

Ironsides
2014-10-16, 06:31 PM
Dangerously Curious is only ever a +4 to UMD. With your intelligence and charisma scores making UMD intelligence based with Pragmatic Activator or Clever Wordplay is a +4 at the minimum, but will grow as your intelligence does (and it will) so it's objectively superior.

Nice find Deuxhere. Pragmatic activator is a much better than Dangerously Curious. I'll edit my original post for this.

There are WAY easier ways to get +3 AC (the difference between a breastplate and full plate) than spending a feat. Even if you were dependent upon heavy armor for class features, if you're taking Armor Expert and have DSP stuff open. Mithral +1 Fusing Full Plate of Comfort has 1 ACP enabling you to wear it without penalty despite non-prof thanks to Armor Expert so don't bother with heavy armor prof.

Hmm I was not familiar with the rules enough to realize that you can effectively beat the armor proficiency penalty to attack rolls. I like the options that this gives and the free feat but I am having trouble finding the armor though in the PFSRD. Fusing is worth +4000 gp, Full Plate armor is +1500 gp, making heavy armor mithral is +9,000 gp, then another +5000 for adding the Comfort enchantment. This totals to 19500 gp. While this works for me if I am starting at a high level if I am starting at a low level I guess I could either accept having less AC or go with the Heavy Armor Proficiency feat anyway depending on what level I was starting at and how much money I have.

Thanks for the input Deuxhere!

Ironsides
2014-10-16, 06:51 PM
Here is the maneuvers I have from level 5 through 10. Working with editing and posts on this forum is really difficult and I still don't know how to upload a picture in a post. :smallmad:

5th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 2, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 1

Veiled Moon:
Ghostwalk (Boost): You become incorporeal for 6 seconds. Being able to walk through walls and opponents is an awesome ability! I love all the different uses this can be put to.

Mithril Current:
Flowing Water Stance (Stance): This does 4 separate things for a Bushi character.
Makes you harder to hit with a +4 to your AC
Boosts your CMD by +4
Increases your initiative by +4 so you can act sooner
And finally you can sheathe your weapon once per turn as a free action that doesn’t provoke an AoO

6th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne
Strike of Defeat (Strike): A strike that does more damage the less HP an opponent has. This is a good finishing blow to an annoying opponent.

Replacing Pride Movement

7th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Veiled Moon:
Flicker Strike (Strike): You teleport in make an attack then teleport safely away. You do all of this without provoking any AoO. This is a better version of Fading Strike.

8th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 3, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne:
Sanguine Perseverance (Counter): You replace ANY saving throw with your Sense Motive skill. You will never get rid of this maneuver. As Elricaltovilla said in his guide, “Get this, use it, love it, never let it go.”

Replacing Red Zephyr’s Strike: The 10 foot movement that it grants doesn’t seem as important when you can just teleport away after a strike.

Veiled Moon:
Formless Dance (Stance): This grants you Blur spell and the See Invisible spell. This is a nice little utility stance that Veiled Moon has an abundance of.

9th Level: Mithral Current 2, Scarlet Throne 4, Veiled Moon 4, Golden Lion 0

Scarlet Throne:
Sanguine Perfection (Counter): You remember Iron Heart Surge from the Tome of Battle? This is the fixed version that lets you ignore any of its listed negative effects equal to your initiator modifier. This is so good for you.

Veiled Moon:
Stance of the Ether Gate (Stance of Winning!!!): This stance is what this build is all about. Note that without Dimensional Agility that you cannot perform any actions after you teleport until the start of your next turn. Also note that I get this through the Advanced Study feat because this is a 5 level initiator maneuver and I cant take it before now on the 8th level.

10th Level: Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 4, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 0

Mithral Current:
Whirlpool Strike (Strike): You make a Whirlwind Attack without the feat or the feats crippling prerequisites. Also you do this with an extra 3d6 of damage on top of it and if you draw your weapon as part of this maneuver you can attack everyone you can reach not just the ones adjacent to you. Good for teleporting into a crowd and putting the hurt on said crowd.

Replacing Disturbing Blow

Here is the recap of what I have at the 10th level as far as stances and maneuvers are concerned.

Mithral Current 3, Scarlet Throne 4, Veiled Moon 3, Golden Lion 0

Mithril Current

Flowing Creek (Counter) Level 1
Following Wake (Strike) Level 1
Whirlpool Strike (Strike) Level 5

Flowing Water Stance (Stance)

Scarlet Throne

Rising Zenith Strike (Strike) Level 2
Strike of Defeat (Strike) Level 3
Sanguine Perseverance (Counter) Level 4
Sanguine Perfection (Counter) Level 5

Scarlet Einhander (Stance)

Veiled Moon

Fading Strike (Strike) Level 2
Ghostwalk (Boost) Level 3
Flicker Strike (Strike) 4

Spirit Sensing Stance (Stance)
Formless Dance (Stance)
Stance of the Ether Gate (Stance of Win)

Golden Lion

No maneuvers or stances for Golden Lion. I think that without taking the advanced study feat there is no way that you can excel at all your available disciplines.

And that's what I have so far. What do you guys think?