PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bard Feat suggestions

ZeroSpace9000
2014-10-13, 10:14 PM
My group has just leveled to 3, and I'm wondering what I should take for my feat. I playing a Muse-touched Aasimar Dervish of Dawn Bard, with my level 1 feat being dodge, with the intent to take Osyluth Guile at lvl 9. Of note, my group is playing through Emerald Spire, so far having encountered goblins, spiders, and undead, in that order. Don't really have any other feats or Prestige classes that I'm working towards, so my feats are relatively free other than OG.

jaydubs
2014-10-13, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you're melee. Easy picks are arcane strike and power attack (if you have the strength for it).

deuxhero
2014-10-13, 11:45 PM
Strength based or dex based? (oddly enough while you are given free Dervish Dance you CAN two hand and its actually a decently common option for DD bards)

Toughness is worth a look. Not only are you squishy for a front liner, but the only reason whatsoever you be fighting defensively (required for Osyluth Guile to work) as a Dawnflower Dervish is trying to tank by restarting Inspire Greatness every turn for 4 HD (for some reason Inspire Greatness is the ONLY source of temporary HD in either PF or 3.5) of temporary hit points and Toughness will add 4 to that temp HP every round (and another for each HD you have).

Another option, but only if your GM ignores the stupid errata on Crane Wing, is Improved Unarmed Strike, Crane Style and Crane Wing, as you are already fighting defensively and have dodge.

War Cry is an option starting at level 5. +1 to attacks/+4 against save for 1 min is meh even for all allies, but the giving each ally a save reroll in that minute is great.

Discordant Voice is the 11th level bard feat, no matter what. Giving all allies 1d6 sonic (which almost nothing resists) damage on every attack is too good, but even better for a Dawnflower Dervish as makes allies benefit from your inspire courage/greatness in some way so you can use Saving Finale on them.

There's also extra preformance, which is fine, but very boring

Sayt
2014-10-13, 11:55 PM
At Third level you're a bit late for Scion of War, which is unfortunate.

Power Attack or Piranha Strike are good options, but Arcane strike is likely to give you better returns in the long run, at a penalty for Action Economy.

jaydubs
2014-10-14, 12:53 AM
Note that you can't use piranha strike with scimitars (they aren't light weapons). Though it might not be unreasonable for a DM to handwave that.

RhoTheWanderer
2014-10-14, 02:29 AM
[...]Toughness is worth a look.[...]
Toughness.*shivers* Are you really desperate for hit points (which is understandable at level 3)? If so, then Toughness, while not awe-inspiring, is still +3 hp. If you think you can hold out until your next feat though, I'd be more apt to recommend Improved Toughness (from CW &/or PHBII I think). IIRC, it gives +1 hp per level or so (which works out better in the long run), but it requires a base fort save of +2 so you can't take it at level 3 as a bard.:smallsigh: Oh well. Toughness is still better than being turned into bloody goop with bits of bone in it by a hammer/axe/glaive/sword/trap/spell/ect.

VexingFool
2014-10-14, 04:00 AM
Toughness.*shivers* Are you really desperate for hit points (which is understandable at level 3)? If so, then Toughness, while not awe-inspiring, is still +3 hp. If you think you can hold out until your next feat though, I'd be more apt to recommend Improved Toughness (from CW &/or PHBII I think). IIRC, it gives +1 hp per level or so (which works out better in the long run), but it requires a base fort save of +2 so you can't take it at level 3 as a bard.:smallsigh: Oh well. Toughness is still better than being turned into bloody goop with bits of bone in it by a hammer/axe/glaive/sword/trap/spell/ect.

This is for Pathfinder. In Pathfinder Toughness gives you 3hp + 1 hp for every HD beyond 3, basically it already is Improved Toughness without the prereq.

RhoTheWanderer
2014-10-14, 04:34 AM
This is for Pathfinder. In Pathfinder Toughness gives you 3hp + 1 hp for every HD beyond 3, basically it already is Improved Toughness without the prereq.
Whoops! :smallsigh:*facepalm*I'm embarrassed that I actually managed to completely miss the big purple "pathfinder" stamp next to it. Well, at least now I have even more evidence (on top of several other examples) that I really should read through the PFSRD and upgrade. Again, my apologies.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-10-14, 09:58 AM
Sorry, this is a dex-bard, thought the muse-touched aasimar was clear enough. My bad. Also, the DM has allowed traits, so extra traits is open. For the record, I took helpful, for an extra +1 when aiding another.

Wolfepuppy
2014-10-14, 10:29 AM
How about snowflake wardance, let's your add cha to attack role I think

ZeroSpace9000
2014-10-14, 11:55 AM
DM is has a strict no 3.5 policy, so snowflake wardance is out. With that said, as a variant aasimar, I got daylight replaced with glitterdust, so there is ability focus for +2 DC.