PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fey Prince of the Winter Court, which race?

Spore
2014-10-14, 04:02 AM
Now I have a concept that isn't really doable with the standard races. I would love to do a (medium sized, so no gnomes) fey prince of the winter court as a character concept. Possibly either a Cold Elemental Sorcerer (because Fey Bloodline isn't exactly befitting and Rime Spell is incredible fluff) or a Magus/Eldritch Scion to be a somewhat mystical swordsman. It could be an Oracle of Waves as well but I have done enough Oracles already.

So which race would you propose? If there is no fitting 1st party source we will most likely write our own but picking together traits from different alternate races. And since the Winter Fey are the polar (get it?) opposite of Summer Fey I feel like most races need a caring hand.

Taveena
2014-10-14, 04:12 AM
Any Medium humanoid with the Unseelie Fae template from Dragon Compendium - choose the Winter's Chill option. You're so pretty you dip into the uncanny valley and debuff people! Yaaaay!

Spore
2014-10-14, 05:26 AM
That template goes way above the intended power level of homebrew races. DR 10/Cold Iron, possible wings and a MASSIVE save penalty in melee range would bring a eldritch scion magus really over the top with its power level and I have grown tired of high powered characters (I really dislike rocket tag). I feel with the right attributes this template is easily worth ECL+2.

My table isn't composed of out-right optimizers but we optimize within certain limits. Our comfort level is a well played T3/T2 caster with T1 for utility outside combat.

Cyanide
2014-10-14, 05:34 AM
What about the Uldra from Frostburn? From what I remember that would fit the mould quite well, they're based in arctic climates and they are actually fey.

Spore
2014-10-14, 02:40 PM
What about the Uldra from Frostburn?

A question here:

Personality: Uldras are exceptionally emotional creatures, and their reactions to new situations are always powerful and

expressive. An uldra can be laughing with joy one moment, screaming with rage in the next, and then be calm and serene a

moment later. To an uldra, these ever-changing mood swings are natural and logical, but they often project a feeling of insanity

to more civilized people.

I thought Winter Fey are humourless and stoic. Basically what you would call "cold-hearted".

Lord of Shadows
2014-10-14, 02:50 PM
What about the Uldra from Frostburn? From what I remember that would fit the mould quite well, they're based in arctic climates and they are actually fey.

They would, except that Uldras are Small size. OP is looking for a Medium size option.

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-14, 02:54 PM
Now I have a concept that isn't really doable with the standard races. I would love to do a (medium sized, so no gnomes) fey prince of the winter court as a character concept. Possibly either a Cold Elemental Sorcerer (because Fey Bloodline isn't exactly befitting and Rime Spell is incredible fluff) or a Magus/Eldritch Scion to be a somewhat mystical swordsman. It could be an Oracle of Waves as well but I have done enough Oracles already.

So which race would you propose? If there is no fitting 1st party source we will most likely write our own but picking together traits from different alternate races. And since the Winter Fey are the polar (get it?) opposite of Summer Fey I feel like most races need a caring hand.

I can't recommend this race enough. (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/133174/Advanced-Races-11-Shadow-Fey-Pathfinder-RPG?manufacturers_id=2189)I know it's third party, but it's good third party. Wolfgang Baur and the people at Kobold Press produce quality material that is balanced and full of flavour.

AlanBruce
2014-10-14, 02:59 PM
I made a Winter Court High Noble that is a secondary antagonist in my campaign. She's a Frostwind Virago (MMV) wth sorcerer and frost mage levels, intended for the party to face at higher levels.

I gave her the Unseelie and Half fey templates for added flavor/power.

If you're interested, I built her entire court, with a few named fey each with particular powers that differ from her as effective henchmen. PM if you're interested.

Spore
2014-10-14, 03:04 PM
I can't recommend this race enough. (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/133174/Advanced-Races-11-Shadow-Fey-Pathfinder-RPG?manufacturers_id=2189)I know it's third party, but it's good third party. Wolfgang Baur and the people at Kobold Press produce quality material that is balanced and full of flavour.

Well, I'll spend the money as soon as I need the new PC and the DM is okay with another homebrew race. ^^

Lord of Shadows
2014-10-14, 03:35 PM
After some delving into musty tomes and scrolls by candle light...

Race: Jaebrin
Source: Monster Manual 5, Pg 92
Creature type: Fey, Medium
LA: +1

It's not cold-oriented, but could be tweaked that way with a Template or other modification.