PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psions and Turning Spells to Powers

Xuldarinar
2014-10-14, 06:42 AM
An notion I wanted to pose to the playground, something i'd love to get a ruling on. RaW, RaI, and of course rules as you would allow.

Independent Research: A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.
Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 1,000 gp per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying. Powers learned through independent research still count against the manifester’s powers known.

I was reading over this and noticed something off the bat. "At the end of that time, the character makes a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level)." Almost certainly they meant power level, but it gave me an idea. Would it be reasonable for a psion to do independent research to attempt to learn spells converted to psionic powers? They could be considered to be "entirely new" powers.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-14, 06:46 AM
This method of turning spells into powers does exist. It's called the Spell-to-Power Erudite, and it's the fastest way to break your game :smallbiggrin:

However, you probably could do a more balanced version of spell-to-power conversion with a Psion via independent research. The main reason StP Erudites break games six ways to Sunday is their nonexistent cap on powers known.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-14, 07:01 AM
This method of turning spells into powers does exist. It's called the Spell-to-Power Erudite, and it's the fastest way to break your game :smallbiggrin:

However, you probably could do a more balanced version of spell-to-power conversion with a Psion via independent research. The main reason StP Erudites break games six ways to Sunday is their nonexistent cap on powers known.

Im more than aware of 3.5's StP Eruidite. I love it, but it does break things pretty badly provided the time and resources to utilize it. Independent Research, to me, implies the ability do StP conversions but limits things. Also, there is a wizard archetype that can learn psionic powers and put them in their spellbook, so the road goes both ways thankfully. Anyways, the way I figure things work is this:

Between levels, the DM should establish amount of time available (days, weeks, ect.) A psionic character, provided the time exists, may choose to do independent research to learn an existing power, a spell converted to a power, or a totally new power (DM approval required, of course). The player expends the gold required, uses up the amount of time, does their roll (Spellcraft DC 10 + Spell Level). If they succeed, they get what they were researching. If they fail, and don't have the funds/time to spare to try again, they must choose from their own class's power list and they have less gold on them when the next adventure starts than they would have normally.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-14, 07:02 AM
Also, there is a wizard archetype that can learn psionic powers and put them in their spellbook, so the road goes both ways thankfully.

Oh, whoops, didn't notice the tag. Silly me! I know nothing of PF psionics, so I won't be of much use here :smallredface:

Psyren
2014-10-14, 08:06 AM
I was reading over this and noticed something off the bat. "At the end of that time, the character makes a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level)." Almost certainly they meant power level, but it gave me an idea. Would it be reasonable for a psion to do independent research to attempt to learn spells converted to psionic powers? They could be considered to be "entirely new" powers.

That I say would depend on the spell. Some things psionics doesn't do well by design, like calling effects - I would not allow a Psion to research, say, Planar Binding or Planar Ally no matter how much mental gymnastics they put in.