PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about this combo

Zellsantal
2014-10-14, 01:53 PM
Ok I'm starting a new game this weekend and I'm thinking of playing a magus again, the first time didn't go so well so now I'm trying again and did some looking around online and found an interesting combo which I want to make sure if I understand it right.

Magical Lineage + Intensified spell with shocking grasp.

Now with this does it mean that intensified on shocking is basely free without any level adjustment and for first level would my damage be 5d6?

Also if this is true would this also make it 10d6 damage once level 10? Lol and if you can do 10d6 damage could this combo be put into a spell storing weapon to count as only one level spell?

Why I ask is if this I can do all this I it be 20d6 damage from shocking grasp plus weapon damage, to me that would be very cool lol.

Red Fel
2014-10-14, 02:51 PM
Ok I'm starting a new game this weekend and I'm thinking of playing a magus again, the first time didn't go so well so now I'm trying again and did some looking around online and found an interesting combo which I want to make sure if I understand it right.

Magical Lineage + Intensified spell with shocking grasp.

Now with this does it mean that intensified on shocking is basely free without any level adjustment and for first level would my damage be 5d6?

Also if this is true would this also make it 10d6 damage once level 10? Lol and if you can do 10d6 damage could this combo be put into a spell storing weapon to count as only one level spell?

Why I ask is if this I can do all this I it be 20d6 damage from shocking grasp plus weapon damage, to me that would be very cool lol.

Alright, let's look at each part of this, shall we?

First, definitions. Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage):
Pick one spell when you choose this trait. When you apply metamagic feats to this spell that add at least 1 level to the spell, treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell's final adjusted level.
Intensified Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic):
An intensified spell increases the maximum number of damage dice by 5 levels. You must actually have sufficient caster levels to surpass the maximum in order to benefit from this feat. No other variables of the spell are affected, and spells that inflict damage that is not modified by caster level are not affected by this feat.
Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shocking-grasp):
Your successful melee touch attack deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 5d6). When delivering the jolt, you gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls if the opponent is wearing metal armor (or is carrying a metal weapon or is made of metal).

Okay. Now, thanks to Spellstrike (Magus 2), you can deliver this spell with your weapon. Since Intensified Spell is +1, it triggers Magical Lineage, reducing it back to +0, or Shocking Grasp's base level (first-level spell). That increases Shocking Grasp's damage by 5 CL. Ordinarily, Shocking Grasp has a max damage of 5d6, but Intensified Spell can allow you to exceed that. However - this is key - you must have the requisite CL.

That said... Yes. At CL 10, you can Intensify Shocking Grasp for 10d6 damage, and still treat it as a first-level spell. As a result, you can place the spell into a Spell Storing weapon. You could then use another Intensified Shocking Grasp with your Spellstrike, and as a free action trigger the stored Intensified Shocking Grasp as well.

Awful lot of work for that nova, though.

Zellsantal
2014-10-14, 02:59 PM
Oh I understand but well worth it, if I'm able to pull that off I would be doing more damage then the rest of my group lol. However you think the metamagic feet should be gotten later? or right away be alright? Because as of right now I'm mainly going for a dex and int build and doing it in a 10 point system. I do Have a few other ideas but wonder if this is be good for a starting.

Xan_Kriegor
2014-10-14, 03:13 PM
That increases Shocking Grasp's damage by 5 CL. Ordinarily, Shocking Grasp has a max damage of 5d6, but Intensified Spell can allow you to exceed that. However - this is key - you must have the requisite CL.

I don't think it works exactly like that. My interpretation is that since Intensify Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic) just says "An intensified spell increases the maximum number of damage dice by 5 levels." (bolding emphasis mine), at levels 1-5 you'd still be doing level-appropriate damage. After that, then intensify kicks in and lets you do 6-10d6 at levels 6-10.

Is that correct or have I misread it? EDIT: Maybe I misread your posts? I thought you guys were saying Intensify Spell would increase the damage to 5d6 before reaching CL 5 which is what I was disagreeing with.

Zellsantal
2014-10-14, 03:14 PM
I do believe that what he ment, its how I took it anyways lol.

Greenish
2014-10-14, 04:05 PM
My interpretation is that since Intensify Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic) just says "An intensified spell increases the maximum number of damage dice by 5 levels." (bolding emphasis mine), at levels 1-5 you'd still be doing level-appropriate damage. After that, then intensify kicks in and lets you do 6-10d6 at levels 6-10.That is what he said.

Glimbur
2014-10-14, 04:18 PM
Oh I understand but well worth it, if I'm able to pull that off I would be doing more damage then the rest of my group lol. However you think the metamagic feet should be gotten later? or right away be alright? Because as of right now I'm mainly going for a dex and int build and doing it in a 10 point system. I do Have a few other ideas but wonder if this is be good for a starting.

If the metamagic won't give you any benefit until level 6, why would you take it earlier? You should be getting a feat at 5 iirc, that might be a good place for Intensify Spell. Earlier feats could be things that are more immediately useful.