PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Reunion HotDQ

Pages : [1] 2

RadarD
2014-10-14, 04:43 PM
http://npf.io/tod/images/greenest.jpg
The town of Greenest was founded by the halfling Dharva Scatterheart, a rogue who fancied herself the queen of the Greenfields. Scatterheart passed away without ever achieving that level of eminence, but her town grew into a thriving community. Its success isn't surprising, since Greenest is the only town of any size astride the Uldoon Trail, the most direct road between the eastern cities of the Dragon Coast, Cormyr, and Sembia with the Coast Way running south to the great cities of Amn, Tethyr, and far Calimshan. The trade caravans that pass through Greenest bring gold to the town's merchants and craftsfolk, and Governor Nighthill runs the town at the behest of the inhabitants.

A caravan, if you can even call it that, consisting of two wagons is traveling to Greenest. One belongs to a trader of everyday goods named Daren who is more interested in traveling than selling his goods. The other belongs to a half elf family, last name Silwe, returning to the town after visiting relatives. You are the final members of the caravan (insert your reason as part of your first post).

As your fist post here give a brief background of why you are with the caravan and why you are traveling to Greenest and any relationship you have with the rest of the party (feel free to create any bonds between your characters you would like).

Cristov
2014-10-16, 02:38 PM
Evendur

"So we must be getting close by now" Evan says to the half-elf man driving his family's wagon. He owed this family his life after they took him in, initially he had not intended to stay with them so long. Fate seemed to have other plans as lead after lead into this so called 'Cult of the Dragon' had been a dead end. Lowering his voice he continues "This time will hopefully be the last time we see one another until after I've taken back the land and title that is rightfully mine".

Evan walks towards the group that joined the caravan a few nights back, compelled to find out what such a strange group of travelers was doing joining with such a small caravan. As he nears he looks the group over and calls out in fluent Gnomish "You there, Gnome, I wish to speak to you"

EltaninDraco
2014-10-16, 05:44 PM
Devlin

As the wagons rolled to a halt for the day, Devlin pocketed his fife and gladly dropped down from his seat beside Daren, casting a parting glare to the particularly uncomfortable seat he'd spent the last few days on. "Give me a pitching deck in stormy seas any day" he grumbled under his breath, stretching to work out the kinks from another day on a bumpy road. He really wasn't comfortable this far from water, but if he could find out about this Dragon Queen cult, what they were smuggling, and if they were connected family's fate, it would all be worth it.

Somewhat settled, the Gnome pulled his fife back out and started playing as he strolled over to where Helm and Darigazz had started setting up for the night. As he got closer, Devlin switched the simple upbeat melody from a common traveling tune to a bouncy variant on one of Bahamut's hymns, watching to see if he could get a reaction out of the Dragonborn. Before he'd finished the song though, the bard was startled out of his fun by a call in his own tongue coming unexpectedly from the rather aloof half elf.

"You there, Gnome, I wish to speak to you"
The arrogance of the command wasn't lost on Devlin, and it only made him grin wider as he gestured the half elf over, calling back in Gnomish: "Ahh, you speak Gnomish? A pleasant surprise in one so tall!" then switching to Common: "Please, come join us, introductions are long overdue." And dropping his voice to only carry to his friends: "I'm sure he's not that bad."

Patrick?
2014-10-18, 03:44 PM
Helm

The past few weeks had been very interesting, Helm reflected. It had hardly been a month since he left the Ardeep Forest and well and truly reentered civilization. Sure, even in the Forest he'd encountered people, given aid tosome, accepted aid from others, and judiciously remained hidden from more than a few ... But the crowds of Waterdeep, and the even bigger crowds of Baldur's gate. So many faces! The dense seas of people conjured up dim memories of his life on the streets. Recollections of the happy days, and the sad ones, the easy seasons and the hard ones all mixed together like a crude, mental stew. It didn't exactly make Helm uneasy to remember his old life, but it did lend a certain appeal to today's "trials". It was easier now, on the open road. It had been easier on Devlin's boat, too. But not so easy as this. Life in a caravan was almost unnaturally easy. You could stretch your legs and have some elbow room, but there were also others to help tend the fire, to help keep watch. Watch! What a wonderful luxury! You could sleep for hours in a row, with nightmares as your only worry.

It was droning on past mid-day, and the heat of the sun was beginning to bear down upon them. Helm's thick, heavy, well-worn boots kicked up a small puff of dust with each step, but they barely added to the great plumes kicked up by the carts and mules. Carts! Mules! Food for weeks, three meals a day! Barrels of water and ale! What ease, what decadence! These merchantfolk sure have some interesting ideas on "roughing it". Helm glanced up at the sky, trying to guess at the weather, before pulling his hood down an inch lower over his eyes, and wiping a streak of sweat out of his eyes. A few more hours on foot, then maybe I'll take a shift in one of the carts. Maybe that dragonborn warrior will be down for a game of cards. Not Devlin, though, he's too crafty by half...

---------
Helm saw the well-dressed half-elf moving towards them, and felt his heart sink a little when he hailed the gnome, Devlin. Despite being one himself - no, because he was one himself - Half-Elves made Helm nervous. Not so nervous as full-Elves, of course, but... things are complicated for Half-Elves. You have to choose one side of your heritage or the other. Not many get to walk the line between Humanity and the Elves. And the ones who picked "Elf" could be dangerous. Many elves, and Half-Elves considered Half-Elves to be a blight upon their glorious heritage. A watering down of the blood-line.

Well, maybe this one would be okay. Lots of Half-Elves in this caravan. Maybe they'll all be okay. Worry about it if it comes up. This is Civilization, not Rat's Alley. No one is going to cut you out here in the open.

dropping his voice to only carry to his friends: "I'm sure he's not that bad."

With a forced grin, Helm mutters to Devlin, hopefully under the hearing of the well-dressed man. "The best thing about the rich folk is that they don't always know the color of their coin...".

In the same motion, he brushed his small pack out of the way, clearing room for Evan. "Yes, come join us. What's your name, friend? I'm Helm. This troublemaker is Devlin, and the big scaly guy is Darry. And you are ... ?"

KoalaOtter
2014-10-18, 07:18 PM
Isilme

Isilme continues to walk quietly and watch those around her. It had only been a few days since she had joined the caravan and she was still not terribly comfortable around these new people. Maybe she would have been better off staying on her own...the last time she traveled with others hadn't gone so well. So many half-elves too...somehow that added to her discomfort.

Maybe this time it will be ok, she knew Leosin well...a kindred spirit who had saved her and helped her find her path after she had been lost for so long.

Wait, who is THIS guy? Fancy britches McGee I guess.

Mondlevic
2014-10-19, 01:42 AM
Darigaaz

Darigaaz sighed disapprovingly at his newly assigned nickname, but he turned his gaze toward the newcomer regardless and nodded his greeting before returning to the task of setting a cook fire. One look at the half-elf was enough to give it away; the way he walked, the way he held himself, the way he was dressed: nobility. Darigaaz sighed again. Perhaps his presence here is a means for Bahamut to further test my patience. It wasn't that he despised or resented the wealthy, just that he disapproved. That and nobles tended to be exhausting. He never really saw the need for that much money or holdings, but then those aren't required for the life of a crusader.

With the fire started and their dinner cooking, Darigaaz made to rejoin his companions and their new acquaintance. As he stood, some movement caught his eye. He turned and saw yet another half-elf, this one female. Where are they all coming from? After his eyes adjusted more to the darkness, Darigaaz recognized her as the monk that had joined their entourage in Elturel at the same time as the wagons. She had struck him as aloof, cautious around strangers. As one who usually travels alone himself, Darigaaz could appreciate that sentiment. He looked at his companions again, who by now were having the smallest amount of fun at the newcomer's expense, before turning his gaze back to the monk. Well, since we're making new friends. The dragonborn beckoned to the monk, inviting her to join them for their evening meal.

Cristov
2014-10-19, 02:13 PM
Evendur

As he continues approaching, Evan pauses. Never before had anyone dared to talk to him the way that these people just did. Feeling his muscles tensing he takes a deep breath, using the moment to remind himself that he was the odd one here, and he had to try and fit in. Evan again takes a few steps towards the group, his eyes darting from one person to the next and upon reaching them shakes his head some, "My name is Evendur Evenwood, only survivor of the Evenwood family and only legitimate heir". After speaking he gives a slight bow "Judging by your reaction to my approach, none of you seem overly fond of my presence. I certainly don't think I did anything to offend you all, but if I did I am sincerely sorry for it.". He was clearly not comfortable with such casual interactions with those that he was brought up to regard as beneath him, but was doing all he could to be, for lack of a better term, normal.

Patrick?
2014-10-19, 04:04 PM
Helm

Oblivious to Evan's discomfort and shoving aside his sympathy for Isilme's shyness, Helm continues inviting the newcomers in, "We brought down a pair of ducks this morning. Darry mentioned something about knowing an old Anaurochian recipe. Should be a pleasant break from trail rations. We have plenty to share.".

Helm pauses for a moment, as if considering his next words, before shrugging and ploughing forward, "Condolences for your family, and your title. It sounds like quite the tale of woe. Did you lose them ... recently? ... Or perhaps you do not wish to speak of such things? I don't want to presume."

His face twists into an expression that sits somewhere between a toothy grin and a humorless grimace.

RadarD
2014-10-20, 10:26 AM
The evening passes uneventfully for the small caravan, its members bonding over roast duck and other provisions Daren is happy to contribute to his new traveling companions.

In the morning the group is awoken early by the Silwe family who is anxious to get on the road and reach Greenest by nightfall, despite the uncomfortable morning drizzle. Luckily the rain lets up before noon although the day remains overcast and dreary. The Silwe families mood is cheery nonetheless and they can hardly stop talking about their home. They speak of the mill where their son works and the chapel where they worship, if you listen to them at all you have a rough layout of the town by mid afternoon.

Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away. But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark, winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.
Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Cristov
2014-10-20, 03:16 PM
Evendur

After the previous night's interactions Evan had a fairly restful nights sleep. He had grown quite good at setting up the tent he had with him, and breaking it down again relatively quickly. not to mention it provided at least a bit of warmth and protection from the weather. As he was awoken by his generous host family he noticed the sound, and smell of the light rain. "Figures, after such a nice night we have to make the last stretch in this". He grumbles as he sets about the task of getting himself ready for the day.

As they made their way up the final major climb, Evan's gaze fell upon the town followed by a look of pure horror. The sight of the town burning, the clear outline of a dragon causes the young noble to recall the day he lost his family, and along with the memories, a familiar anger. "This can't be happening, it can't be" he mutters to himself before yelling out to the rest of the caravan "Any of you crazy enough to charge into that?" right hand extended pointing to the dragon as it made another pass on the town.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-21, 12:51 AM
Devlin

Devlin rolled his eyes, both at Helm's clumsy response to the affronted noble, and the noble himself. Children...

Standing, the bard gave a proper bow to Evan as he responded "Well met, Evendur Evenwood. " then with a bit of a grin he straightened in and looked the young half elf over and switched his bearing from respectful entertainer to respected teacher: " Please do not take offense at our casual address; to travelers on a long road, an invitation to share a meal and a fire is akin to proper words delivered on bent knee".
Words of wisdom given, Devlin discarded both his tutor aspect as well as his aspect of an underlying and sat back with a comfortable smile. "So, friend Evan, what was it you wished to speak to me about? "

Evan looks over the rest of the group, before responding in gnomish, "I'm sorry this whole traveling thing is a tad new to me, I really need to be better about letting small things go. As for why I wished to speak to you I was curious as to why someone like you was traveling to Greenest, not to mention with such strange company." He kept his conversation to a tongue that he felt the rest of this group wouldn't understand. Part of his upbringing teaching him to keep conversations private as much as possible.
Devlin looked the half-elf over a minute before responding, trying to figure out how much of his tale to tell. The luxury of speaking in his own tongue probably had more than a little to do with how much he decided to say. "As one who's stock in trade is news, I've heard many a story from many a sailor and merchant alike. Between beers and berths, I gathered enough tales to get the hint of something shady working it's tendrils into the shipping lanes up and down the sword coast. The digging I've done has only turned up one name: Greenest, so I thought it warranted investigation. Then when none other than our Helm here showed up on the docks looking for passage to the same city for his own reasons, I took it as a sign." Devlin shrugged with that, nodding to his companion whose ears had perked at the sound of his name. "From there, it's all down wind: We took ship down to Baldurs Gate, met our stoic scaly friend who also had a desire to reach said city, and continued by river till we met up with the caravan, and here we are" he ended with a flourish. "Hopefully many questions will be answered when we reach our destination. But that's enough of my tale for now." and with that the bard reaches down to a case leaning against his seat, and takes out a fiddle of black wood shot through with veins of silver. Gently caressing the instrument he begins to softly tune it, plucking out soft cords. "If you'd care to speak on it, I'm curious what it is that brings you so far from your holdings, but from your introduction I fear it may not be pleasant" and then with a smile he adds "but do not feel obligated, it's not your job to entertain an entertainer."

Evan had been leaning forward listening intently. When asked he sits up straight and glances over the others. He figured it safest to continue in a tongue the others had shown little ability to speak. "Well I did mention that I was the rightful heir to those holdings...Well I lost my family to dragons" Evan decided being blunt would achieve much more than trying to hide behind words "I have been chasing leads for a bit now, and the sooner we get to Greenest the sooner I can follow on my last one."

Years had dulled the ache of losing his own family, so Devlin was able to offer sympathy without sinking into the depths of depression he had in the past. "For your loss I am truly sorry, though I know how useless such words are" The chords beneath his fingers that had turned soft and sad shifted to dissonant minors which were reflected in his scowl. "Dragons? The group I've been hunting... I was hoping they called themselves the cult of the dragon queen just to be flamboyant, but if you've come this way following dragons... I do not like the destination our two paths are headed." Devlin let a last chord float out into the evening, then shook his head, not one to dwell on unpleasantness, and pulled a bow out to accompany the fiddle. "I think perhaps it is time to concentrate on the present, on warm dinner and kind companions" and with that he put bow to fiddle and played a small flourish. Switching back to common he asked his newest traveling companion if he had any requests.

Evan could only shake his head a bit "Fate has a strange way of choosing your companions for you it seems" He gives a faint smile before thinking back to his youth and any song that might give the gnome some trouble in knowing. "I don't suppose you know many Elven songs, There are a few my mother used to sing, I don't really remember them but I suppose any will do right now" He Lays back, eating as he stares up to the stars as he thinks "I suppose this lot isn't the worst to travel with."

Thinking a moment Devlin's eyes fell on constellation peaking between some of the clouds, where he could just make out the trident carried by the Triton, or Deep Sashelas as the elves called him. A moment to re-tune the fiddle to the elvish scale, and he started playing a calm and light melody he had learned from one of his elvish tutors about those stars. His audience would probably not recognize the tune, as it was one favored by sea and sea-faring folk, but he sensed that too much familiarity right now may do more harm than good. Besides, it was a nice melody, and even if none of the half elves around knew it, the tone should still be familiar enough to enjoy.

Devlin sighed as one of the Silwe started yet another story about their home. There was really only so much poor story telling he could handle, especially when it was all domestic babble about people who didn't seem to do much of anything to cause the level of drama the half elves prattled on about. The fact that they couldn't deliver a proper tale didn't help either, though he tried to not hold that against people who didn't entertain audiences for a living. Besides, he kept hoping that if he listened long enough they'd drop some useful information. If this dragon queen cult was really connected to this town, then perhaps there would be some trace of it hidden on these painfully dull stories. Devlin wasn't desperate enough yet to ask out right and give away his true interest in the town, but he did try to nudge the conversation in the right direction to shake out any hints he could find.

It was almost a relief when the wagons crested the hill and everyone fell silent, until the gnome looked up and realized the cause. "The Water Lord's wind and waves... " Devlin mumbled as he looked on the destruction, hand reaching for the charred sliver of wood he wore as a reminder of the ship he had lost long ago.

The words of the noble brought him back to the present and he peered into the smoke and twilight, trying to get a better sense of the creature raining down destruction. "Do you think there is anything any of you could do to stop it?"

Get the family to mention any useful info about the cult or smuggling operations:
Persuasion (1d20+4)[21]

What kind of Dragon is it? How old? How bad of an idea would it be to encounter it?
Perception (1d20+3)[16]
Int (knowledge dragons? Bardic?) (1d20+2)[17]

RadarD
2014-10-21, 07:26 AM
As you drop hints about dragon cults and smuggling the family briefly replies that some relatives up north mentioned some raids and looting believed to be connected to the cult but as far as they know they are rumors, that part of the family has been known to stretch the truth. They are put off by any hint of smuggling in their perfect town but it does send the father on a tangent about his great great grandfather who busted a smuggling ring in Waterdeep back in the day.

From this distance, in the failing light and growing smoke, the Dragon appears as no more than a dark shadow circling the keep. Based on the speck sized people and various buildings in town it appears to be the size of a small house, 20ft long if you had to guess. As you look down on the town while the dragon is lost in the smoke and haze you could swear you saw a lightning strike near the keep despite the haze that now surrounds it, or maybe it was just the flickering fire....

From the many tales of Dragons you have told curious young children over the years you know a dragon that size would not be something many have faced head on and survived. If the rampant fires are due to the dragon you figure it must be red but if that glimpse of lighting was not a trick of the eye perhaps it was a blue dragon.

Cristov
2014-10-21, 08:51 AM
Evan looks over the rest of the group, before responding in gnomish, "I'm sorry this whole traveling thing is a tad new to me, I really need to be better about letting small things go. As for why I wished to speak to you I was curious as to why someone like you was traveling to Greenest, not to mention with such strange company." He kept his conversation to a tongue that he felt the rest of this group wouldn't understand. Part of his upbringing teaching him to keep conversations private as much as possible.

"If you'd care to speak on it, I'm curious what it is that brings you so far from your holdings, but from your introduction I fear it may not be pleasant" and then with a smile he adds "but do not feel obligated, it's not your job to entertain an entertainer."

Evan had been leaning forward listening intently. When asked he sits up straight and glances over the others. He figured it safest to continue in a tongue the others had shown little ability to speak. "Well I did mention that I was the rightful heir to those holdings...Well I lost my family to dragons" Evan decided being blunt would achieve much more than trying to hide behind words "I have been chasing leads for a bit now, and the sooner we get to Greenest the sooner I can follow on my last one."

Dragons? The group I've been hunting... I was hoping they called themselves the cult of the dragon queen just to be flamboyant, but if you've come this way following dragons... I do not like the destination our two paths are headed." Devlin let a last chord float out into the evening, then shook his head, not one to dwell on unpleasantness, and pulled a bow out to accompany the fiddle. "I think perhaps it is time to concentrate on the present, on warm dinner and kind companions" and with that he put bow to fiddle and played a small flourish. Switching back to common he asked his newest traveling companion if he had any requests.

Evan could only shake his head a bit "Fate has a strange way of choosing your companions for you it seems" He gives a faint smile before thinking back to his youth and any song that might give the gnome some trouble in knowing. "I don't suppose you know many Elven songs, There are a few my mother used to sing, I don't really remember them but I suppose any will do right now" He Lays back, eating as he stares up to the stars as he thinks 'I suppose this lot isn't the worst to travel with."

EltaninDraco
2014-10-21, 11:08 PM
Devlin

Leaning forward in his seat, Devlin scowls as he is able to just barely make out what is going on. "I'm not sure I'm seeing things clearly, but it looks like it may be a blue dragon causing that havoc... about the size of a small sloop I'd say.. or these two wagons put end to end. As much as I'd like to see that village helped, I'm not sure there's much of anything you lot can do against such a foe. Although, he may not be the only thing out there starting fires."

Glancing over at the stricken family, Devlin catches Evan's eye and adds in Gnomish: "Could you be so good as to take hold of the Silwe's beasts? I'd hate for them to do anything rash..."

KoalaOtter
2014-10-22, 07:49 AM
Isilme

Isilme, a bit surprised, moves lightly to sit next to the dragonborn. "Isilme," she says simply. She runs through the names in her head: Helm, Devlin, Darry...hmm, isn't that a strange name for a dragonborn?...and Evendur Evenwood Fancypants. The latter had apparently lost his family. She had seen her share of death, but thankfully her parents were still alive, and even more surprisingly, still together. She never could "pick a side" as most other Half-Elves. Maybe she would go home after all this.

She pulls out a small pouch from her back, pokes through it, and selects a few nuts from the contents of miscellaneous fruit, nuts, and flowers it contained. She remembered her manners, as her human father would say, and offered some to Darry. She was enjoying the old bard's music, although the sea shanties reminded her of when Tucker died.

Isilme eyed the dragon, barely hearing her traveling companions commentary. There would definitely be people in the city, under the dragon's lightning, including many children if the chattering Silwe children were to be believed...did they make it to the town keep (three houses down from Missy's favorite shop)? She considers briefly. There was next to no cover in these fields. The river. She takes off towards the river, heading in the direction of the town, taking what little cover she could from the sparse bushes around.

Patrick?
2014-10-22, 11:02 AM
Helm

Helm's eyes go wide at the sight of the dark, winged figure circling over the town, the great billowing fires and enormous columns of smoke. Is this it, then? The event his ceaseless nightmares foretold? He spent the briefest of moments trying to check off details from his dream, comparing them to the sight unfolding before him, before he shakes his head to clear it.

Outloud, the party might hear him mutter, "Let's go ahead and worry about that later...."

Turning first to Evan, he announces "Yes. I'm crazy enough to charge into that. It might be why I'm here. Or. At least, the beginning of what I'd like to stop., then turning to Devlin, ""I believe I left all my Arrows-Of-Dragon-Slaying in my other quiver. We can at least get some of the innocents to safety, though. We'll pass word that there is a caravan parked out here. Perhaps we can persuade them to retreat to this point...

Out of the corner of his eye, he catches a blurred motion as Isilme darts towards the river, and immediately starts running to keep up with her, even before he fully understood her plan.

As he left the caravan he shouted back to the remaining people, "Come with us and help, or prepare things here from incoming refuges. Try to stay out of sight of that dragon!"

Cristov
2014-10-22, 12:22 PM
Evandur

Evan gives a quick nod upon hearing Devlin's request. He reaches over taking hold of the reigns before noticing the rather silent female dart off, followed by Helm "You've got to be insane"he yells out after the two. he shakes his head before glaring at the Silwe Patriach "If you so much as take this wagon another step closer so help me that dragon will be the least of your concerns" As he finishes his statement he hops off the wagon running over to the two smart enough not to go running off towards what he figured would be their deaths. "I doubt the two of them will be much good on their own, but if that town burns our goals get a little harder to achieve."

Roll to intimidate Mister Silwe
[roll0]

Mondlevic
2014-10-22, 03:25 PM
Darigaaz

Darigaaz listened intently while Devlin and Evan conversed. He couldn't speak the language, but it was close enough to Dwarven to pick out a few words every now and then. "Dragon" in particular caught his attention. He didn't even notice the half elf sitting next to him until she spoke. Even her words were quiet; she didn't startle him, but Darigaaz did feel a little unease at how effortlessly she had approached without his noticing. "Darigaaz," he introduced himself, his voice rumbling like distant thunder, "welcome, Isilme."

Soon enough the ducks had finished cooking, and the others began to line up to receive their dinner. As Evendur approached, Darigaaz spoke, "perhaps in the future we can speak a language all can understand. I doubt very much you'd enjoy being on the outside of such a conversation." With a playful gleam in his eye he turned toward Helm and added in Orcish, "What do you think, Helm?"

Darigaaz heard shouts of panic and horror from the front of the caravan as the first few travelers crested the hill. He rushed to the hilltop to see for himself the cause of the commotion, and his gaze darkened. Greenest was burning.

A moment later Helm ran past as he darted off toward the creek bed. Ahead of him, already there was Isilme. "Where do you two think you're going?" Darigaaz bellowed after them. "That town is still miles away; an hour at best if you were to run. And what good are you going to do when you show up exhausted and out of breath? That dragon is the size of a house, you wouldn't stand a chance against it if it were to notice you."

Roll to persuade Leeroy and Jenkins against charging toward a dragon[roll0]

RadarD
2014-10-22, 05:00 PM
As the group takes in the scene the Silwe family gapes in shock at the apparent destruction of the town. One of the children starts tearing up. "Mommy whats happening?" she sobs. As the mother stoops to comfort the child the quiet monk starts moving towards the creek that cuts through the town. The town was still a ways away but the creek continued through the fields and the bushes surrounding it provided good cover.

When the Ranger suggests staying and waiting for refugees Daren ushers the grieving Silwe family off the road and toward the cover of the creek. "Ill stay here and help anyone you send but ill face no dragon, if it comes for us i'm saving my own hide" he announces once the family is out of earshot.

Darigaaz's yell falls on deaf ears as his two companions move quickly towards the creek. In fact even as he makes his case he gets the urge to go running after them. :smallwink:

Mondlevic
2014-10-22, 05:43 PM
Darigaaz

As the words left his mouth, Darigaaz realized they were of no use. The half-elves had already abandoned reason when the two of them decided to charge into a dragon attack. The only real chance of stopping them would be to restrain them until they came to their senses. Darigaaz took off in hopes of catching at least one. Perhaps then the other would think twice about their foolish actions.

Athletics to catch Helm[roll0]
Restrain Helm (if caught)[roll1]

Patrick?
2014-10-22, 06:09 PM
Helm:

Helm observes the dragonborn Paladin start after them, and is initially relieved - but something in the way his eyes flashed, in the set of his shoulder hinted to Helm that Darry meant to interrupt the rescue operation - rather than help it. Not wishing to waste time, Helm increases his pace from a quick jog to a dead sprint. He can sit idly around, watching this chaos and call it heroism if he wants - but I came here to do something about this apocalypse.

Athletics to get away: [roll0]

Cristov
2014-10-22, 06:09 PM
Evandur

Seeing the two continue running off, followed shortly by the Dragonborn, Evan shakes his head, "I don't suppose you know a clever way to stop them?" He asks Devlin. He turns and watches going over his options before smirking "I mean I could try a warning shot" he says trying to figure about how far the group running off had gotten, while at the same time eyeing his finely carved staff.

Quick estimation of distance the two are from the road
Intelligence (rate x time and all that) [roll0]

Patrick?
2014-10-22, 06:12 PM
As the Dragonborn's gauntleted hand darts out to grasp Helm's wrist, Helm writhes desperately to free himself. "GAH!". In no small part, he is his young self again, struggling to wrench his arm free from a city guardsman, stolen loaf of bread in hand.

[roll0]

EltaninDraco
2014-10-22, 08:34 PM
Devlin

Devlin watches the group react spontaneously and wonders if he was that reckless when he was young, realizes he probably was, and offers a silent apology to his parents and tutors. Pulling out his flute as he quickly scans the area, he plays an odd tune that, though it seems to be at full volume, is hard for those nearby to hear. After only a few seconds of playing he speaks softly, but his voice is carried to each member of the group as if he was right beside them: "Wait at the tall Oak tree at the first bend in the stream, and we'll all go on together."

Message delivered, he puts away his flute and hops down from his seat. First he addresses Daren: "Thank you for the seat, and for keeping an eye on the Silwe - We'll send any we find who need assistance. If you see the dragon leave and the fires abate your help may be needed in town, but please: do keep yourself and any others safe until then." Then with a sigh he adds "I'll attempt to do the same for those who've gone charging ahead."

And with that Devlin walks to the back of the wagon for his gear. After shouldering his pack and stringing his bow, the gnome turns to Evan: "So, shall we see if any of those fools heeded my message?"

This is the minor illusion cantrip - just the illusion of Devlin's voice speaking to each party member as if he is beside them. Technically it's a DC 12 Int (investigation) check to note that it's not real, though since he's not actually standing there it should be fairly obvious. Dave: It's an action to cast and has a range of 30ft, but can be different discrete sounds within the casting time (1min), so presumably Devlin could get each party member as/before they leave the range.

I'm not sure it is necessary, but here's a persuasion too?
Persuasion [roll0]

Cristov
2014-10-22, 09:11 PM
Evendur

Laughs a bit as he sets out walking with the gnome, "I'm pretty sure I would have missed hitting them with a warning shot, Though I thought for sure that dragonborn friend of yours was going to at least stop Helm..or whatever his name is." He goes out of his way not to get too far ahead while they walk, glancing down, "I don't suppose you could walk any faster...I was hoping to get there before it got dark." He gives a friendly smile to accompany his less than subtle poke at Devlin's size.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-22, 09:17 PM
Isilme

All of a sudden, Helm shot past her at full speed. Is something chasing us? As she turned to check, she saw the dragonborn reaching out to grab him.

What is happening right now? She had thought the river obvious as the best way to approach the city under attack. Being a good mile away gave them the advantage of having at least a few individuals not spotted on the main road--at least those of the party who would dare approach.

She slowed her smooth, brisk walk to a normal pace, released her earlier focus and quiet movement, and watched Helm and Darigaaz scrabble at each other. How am I ever supposed to... Her thought was interrupted as Devlin's disembodied voice floated to her ears, requesting that they all wait and go together.

She sighed. Everyone else seemed slow and loud and she wondered that the dragon hadn't heard them even this far out. She looked back, irritated at the waste of time, and debated. Why would I wait? ...well... maybe I have been alone for too long. She looked at the city again and begrudgingly relented. Not seeing an oak tree, she sat next to a large bush and waited, thinking of Leosin.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-22, 09:33 PM
Devlin smirks and pulls out the flute to play a soft bit of marching music as they walk along, though he adds a few flourishes that seem just a little odd.

Evan - Investigation Check!
The ground ahead of you is uneven, with dips between small mounds of grass. Just as you go to step on a bit of ground higher than the area around it, your foot unexpectadely goes through the perceived mound without meeting any resistance. Devlin looks over at you as you stumble, voice full of (false) sympathy: "Must be hard seeing where you're going when the ground is so far away."
That rise in the ground you were about to step on is totally an illusion. Devlin just smiles an innocent smile, though there's a definite hint of mischief in his eye.

Cristov
2014-10-22, 10:28 PM
How dumb do I have to be to walk into the imaginary trap!

[roll0]

As Evan falls he reaches out to brace himself at the last second, only managing to keep his face from hitting the ground. As he gets up he brushes himself off a bit narrowing his eyes at the gnome, "I prefer to be a bit further away from the ground, though I suppose it does good to see the world from someone else's perspective". Despite his best efforts, there was a hint of anger behind his words.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-23, 02:44 PM
Devlin

Devlin sighed in relief when he noticed that his message had been heard and heeded - at least now they could act as a group - or not - with a modicum of discussion. He, for one, had no intention of going into the city by himself.

As he and Evan caught up with everyone, Devlin nodded a thanks to the others "Thanks for waiting, I'd have been hard pressed to catch up with you all otherwise" he said with a sideways glance at Evan. Then turning to Isilme, he addressed the matter at hand: "You seemed most eager to head in - do you have a goal in mind?" Then he turned to extend the query to the others: "Or does anyone?"

Cristov
2014-10-23, 05:37 PM
Evendur

Evan shakes his head as he leans against the tree with the group,"I hadn't intended to be this close to a dragon again, or at least not right away." He looks to the town before reaching up rubbing his head some "I guess now that we're here we need a plan of action, and no running in like idiots isn't a plan, its a good way to get yourselves killed"

Patrick?
2014-10-23, 07:35 PM
Helm:

"I guess now that we're here we need a plan of action, and no running in like idiots isn't a plan, its a good way to get yourselves killed"

Helm gapes at Evan - shocked not only at being spoken to in such a way, but shocked that the Devlin's truce would be ended in the first breath.

His eyes narrow as he speaks slowly, and carefully, and quietly. "Listen, m'lord. You might be used to speaking to your household servants in such a manner, but I am not under your rule. I will not grin and bear your casual insults. Do not dare to speak to me like that again."

Turning to the rest of the group, he speaks louder, "I am going to go into that city, and I am going to help evacuate any civilians I find. I'll tell them to flee to the caravan, using the river route. I figure if I stick to the shadows, it should be relatively easy to avoid the ire of the dragon. I do think our chances will be better if Isilme and I don't go in alone, but I cannot allow myself to stand out here all night while you three hem and haw on possibilities and plans - not while innocents are in that city burning. So, I beg of you, plan swiftly. I will not tarry long."

Mondlevic
2014-10-23, 08:11 PM
Darigaaz

His eyes narrow as he speaks slowly, and carefully, and quietly. "Listen, m'lord. You might be used to speaking to your household servants in such a manner, but I am not under your rule. I will not grin and bear your casual insults. Do not dare to speak to me like that again."

Turning to the rest of the group, he speaks louder, "I am going to go into that city, and I am going to help evacuate any civilians I find. I'll tell them to flee to the caravan, using the river route. I figure if I stick to the shadows, it should be relatively easy to avoid the ire of the dragon. I do think our chances will be better if Isilme and I don't go in alone, but I cannot allow myself to stand out here all night while you three hem and haw on possibilities and plans - not while innocents are in that city burning. So, I beg of you, plan swiftly. I will not tarry long."

Confused by the half-elf's imagined slight, Darigaaz spoke up, "If you won't hear it from him, then hear it from me. Charging into that town without a plan is foolish, and you're liable to get yourself killed. While it is certainly a noble thought, you are blinded by your wish to save the villagers. Do you think bushes and this creek bed will hide you? Sure, you could stay hidden if the dragon is grounded, but might I remind you the beast can fly? And what of the distance? Greenest is still miles away. What do you plan to do when you arrive out of breath and drained of energy from your hour's run?

I only ask that you think before you act. Despite your good intentions, do not make rash decisions in your haste to help others. Think on this, and do what you will. Now come. As you said, there are innocents burning in that town. We can discuss our plan en route."

With that, the dragonborne shouldered his greatsword and began marching purposefully along the creek bed toward Greenest.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-23, 08:48 PM
Isilme

"Moving quickly and quietly along the river. It runs down the edge of the town and near the town keep. The people of the town would be heading there for protection. Consider, as we get nearer, if there appears to be need of extra hands and feet. We can hope that there may have been warning."

Patrick?
2014-10-23, 08:54 PM
Helm

"If the keep still stands, of course. Could a dragon that size tear the keep down?"

Patrick?
2014-10-23, 09:02 PM
Rolling to think about how big a dragon would need to be to raze a keep to the ground: Nature, presumably? [roll0]

Mondlevic
2014-10-23, 09:37 PM
Roll to persuade Helm into thinking rationally: [roll0]

RadarD
2014-10-23, 10:09 PM
Its unlikely the dragon could do much damage to a keep that large. Kill lots of people sure but not level the actual keep.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-23, 11:01 PM
Devlin

Devlin shrugs and follows the dragonborn, happy to take the discussion on the road, not to mention really not wanting to get involved in the verbal sparring going on. "Following the creek sounds good to me - water at your back is always a comfort, especially when there's fire involved. For the rest, I hope we'll have a better sense of how to help once we're there..." And with that his voice trails off, rather uncharacteristically.
If there was enough light and anyone was paying attention, they'd notice a slightly haunted look come over Devlin, as the image of his ship and crew engulfed in magical flame comes floating to the surface of his mind. With not inconsiderable effort he pushes the memory aside, focusing on the here and now - in particular looking around at his allies to size up their armament.
"If we do run into trouble, I'd greatly appreciate it if some of you big strong types can keep between me and anything too dangerous. I'm passable with a bow, and I've a few magical tricks up my sleeve, but I've no desire to get too close to anything stronger than I am, if it can be avoided. Also, holler at me if you find yourself hurting, but only if you've dire need - I can help, but not a lot, and not often."

Cristov
2014-10-23, 11:24 PM
Evendur

Evan shakes his head not sure what it was that drew such a reaction,"Since I doubt any of you has encountered a dragon before I was trying to keep you alive." He hadn't mentioned how his family died but figured now was as good a time as any. "I had the misfortune of seeing just what those things can do, it was luck that I lived last time, and I'll be damned if I have to rely on luck again. Your dragonborn friend is right, we can walk the last bit, and be as close to top form to deal with whatever is there." As he takes a few quick steps he turns to Helm, "I'm not sure what you think I said to you, but believe me, I meant you no personal sleight, and I most certainly wouldn't dream of talking to you in the way I spoke to those that served my family." his pace quickens to catch up to the other two thinking to himself he should be so lucky to get the same respect I showed them

Patrick?
2014-10-24, 09:56 AM
Helm:

Helm looks long and hard at Evan and Darry, and nods. Tongue clamped firmly between his teeth. Determined not to be a source of strife in the group.

Weary of being chased down, restrained and insulted, Helm is just happy to see the party moving towards town. Even at this slow pace, 5 people acting together would likely have a greater impact than one or two people acting alone.

Helm maneuvers himself towards the rear of the line. At least this way they can't accuse him of trying to force them to move too quickly for their tastes.

He strains his ears attentively towards the group, interested to hear what plan would be forthcoming.

Cristov
2014-10-24, 03:16 PM
Evendur

Evan steadies his pace, noting the relative silence, "I know that you have no reason to listen to me, but since we're going in like this I feel like the first order of business is finding out if there is more to contend with than that dragon. Since we have no way of knowing how sudden this attack was right now it is probably best if you prepare for the worst possible case, and at the same time some hope that there was enough time for a good number of people to have gotten into that keep." Evan was in no mood to dance around what it was they were heading towards, and hoped that giving a bit of time for people to get ready would prevent them from doing something irrational. "Helm..Isilme are either of you capable of getting in and doing a bit of scouting for us, without getting caught?" He was choosing his words in a way that he felt would do the least to upset the others, but was not going to completely avoid stepping on toes so long as his point was made.

"I am not sure that going straight for the keep is the best choice once we do have some grasp of what is happening. If there are survivors in there are they really going to be safer if we have them running over open ground? What we really need to do is find a way to get that Dragon out of the town, that is where I have no ideas." Evan gives a quick glance to each of the group "If any of you have a better plan make it known, or get behind this one." He says trying for expediency.

Patrick?
2014-10-24, 06:58 PM
Helm:

Helm allows himself a small smile, pleased at the suggestion Evan makes. "I can sneak into the city and have a quick look around. Anything in particular you want to know?"

Helm pauses for a brief moment, considering something, before continuing. "Unless, perhaps you would rather go, Isilme? You were pretty eager to start lending a hand before."

EltaninDraco
2014-10-24, 07:32 PM
Devlin

Devlin nods along with Evan's words, glad to hear something conciliatory from the noble, until the last line, at which point Devlin facepalms. He almost got through a speech without sounding like an ass... Oh well, perhaps next time.

After Helm volunteers to scout, Devlin thinks a moment before responding "Well, I'd like to know who is starting those fires, because I don't think the lightening that dragon is spitting out is responsible for all of it, and also if there is a specific target of all that attention..."

Then looking around where they are walking a bit more carefully, he casually shifts his position in the group so he's walking behind Darigaaz "Though knowing that nothing is waiting behind any of the near by bushes will also be good... "

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 09:27 AM
Isilme

Now they wanted one of us to go ahead? I guess there were always those who had to feel in charge of everything. She was happy to go ahead or drift behind to get away from the posturing. It was causing her some anxiety and she could feel the windigos circling their bickering party. Why is there such an insistence to be a party anyway? She shivered slightly.

"I will go forward or I will drop behind. As able I will help townspeople to the safety of the keep. I will not engage a dragon."

She looks towards the horizon.

"Wasting time. Darkness is nearly upon us."

RadarD
2014-10-25, 12:57 PM
Isilme and Helm set off ahead of the group to scout. They make good time at first moving next to the creek where the bushes block any view of them from the town and the bubbling of the creek drowns out the little sound their footfalls make on the grass.

As they get closer they move into the bushes themselves for better cover. By now the sun has set and the only light is the half moon, which is often cloud covered, and the fires throughout the town. Moving towards a flickering fire seen through the foliage they move along the southern border of the town adjacent to the creek. All is going well, there is no sign of the dragon and no sound of strife, just the fire that can barely be seen through the dense bushes.

In an attempt to get a better view of the source of the fire Helm moves towards the edge of the bushes near the creek. Unfortunately the bank had been washed out and as he leans out of the trees the ground gives way beneath him. He tumbles into the creek amidst earth and foliage landing in the water with a loud splash.
As he falls he sees two small reptilian humanoids throwing hay and branches on a growing fire at the corner of a building further down the creek. Very wet and muddy he now lies in midst of the creek slightly tangled in a bush that was dislodged from the embankment that collapsed.

Meanwhile Isilme who was a few steps behind sees her companion disappear down the embankment. If she peers towards the fire she can see 2 small figures throwing fuel onto a growing fire in the corner of the building but at the sound of the loud splash they look in her general direction.

The creek is a little over a foot deep(the blue). The yellow is a steep embankment requiring an athletics check to climb. The green is the bushes which are difficult terrain and provide cover. The darker areas are dim light, the lighter areas are bright light from the fire. You are in the dim light right now. Let me know if you have any other questions OoC. They have not officially spotted you yet so no initiative, depending on what you do I might have you roll it soon.
Here is the map, its also linked on the front page of OoC.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au98T2IPvuNYdDJVQmdfWnJBU0NRd1l6aDZMNXVfZ 2c&usp=sharing

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 01:06 PM
Isilme

Isilme freezes in place, even holding her breath, hoping that the bushes and lighting provide enough concealment that they don't notice her. She hopes her companion holds fast as well, waiting for the kobolds to move away before they report back to the party.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 01:09 PM
Isilme
[roll0]
[roll1]

Patrick?
2014-10-25, 01:51 PM
Helm:

There's a wooshing sound as a the world rises up suddenly, turns upside down and becomes very wet - cold and wet. Dirt, pebbles, leaves and twigs clatter down around his head.

For an instant, Helm idly considers the vague pain in his hands and backside - how tangled he has become in this bramble - before recalling how much trouble he has suddenly found himself in.

Looking up at the pair of Kobolds, his heart jumps into his throat has he sees them look up from the incendiary work. But they make no move towards him and Isilme just yet. It's been raining. The river's a bit high, and eroded a rock into the river. Be the rock, Helm. Be the rock.

He briefly considers whispering to Isilme, before recalling that rocks don't whisper and deciding against it.
ohgodohgodohgod
[roll0]

RadarD
2014-10-25, 02:13 PM
"jodtge ghest vgitet" says the farther kobold to the other. The other kobold moves in the direction of the noise a few paces and peers towards the creek.

"jtiger bnitdt beayrdhr" it replies as it stoops to pick up a branch. The creature then paces back to the fire and continues its business of fueling the flame.

Normally I would roll for their active perception but you both rolled well enough to make it impossible so ill keep their bonus a secret for now ;)
Helm: if you choose to move from your spot it will take a stealth check. Trying to talk to Isilme would require a stealth check. Both at the same time is a stealth check with disadvantage but you are only against their passive perception now that they are not looking at you.

Isilme: You can sneak around in the bushes without making another roll but talking to Helm would require a stealth check.

Cristov
2014-10-25, 02:14 PM
Evendur

As the three waited to hear back from the two that scouted ahead, Evan leans on his staff a bit while addressing Devlin and Dari. "I suppose everything worked out in the end. Oh thanks Darigazz for at least slowing them down enough that we could catch up, I know if it came down to it I had no chance at it." He looks at the outline of the burning town "Lets hope those two aren't getting into trouble"

Patrick?
2014-10-25, 02:29 PM
Helm:

Helm whispers to Isilme: "Are you still up there? I don't like my odds of climbing back up the bank without getting spotted. The others need to know whats going on. Go tell them. I'll just ... wait here."

[roll0]

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 02:38 PM
Isilme
[roll0]

RadarD
2014-10-25, 02:45 PM
Isilme listens for word from her companion but the bubbling of the creek and the rustling of the bushes is the only sound.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 02:46 PM
Isilme

After a beat, the Kobolds made some weird mouth noises and went back to their business of stoking the fire.

Isilme heard nothing from her companion, not a movement, not a whisper. Hopefully he hadn't impaled himself in the fall. She slowly crouched down towards the embankment, moving to where Helm had fallen earlier. She looked down.

[roll0]

What the... where did he go?

She had planned on dropping down a rope, but that currently appeared pointless. She whispered down towards the rocks, just in case, "Don't see you...be right back if you can hear me" and slowly moved back, away from the fires. Engaging these Kobolds probably wasn't a good idea... she doubted 2 Kobolds had managed all this destruction on their own.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 02:59 PM
Isilme
[roll0]

She made her way as quickly and quietly as possible back to the party. She interrupted whatever conversation they had been having. She noticed Helm wasn't there. Still in the river?

"Helm fell into the river and may or may not still be there. Saw two Kobolds building up a fire at the edge of town. Doubt they're the only ones around."

Patrick?
2014-10-25, 03:05 PM
for clarity's sake, misposted the roll in OoC, it was a 16.

Patrick?
2014-10-25, 03:58 PM
Helm:

Helm had been worried when it had taken Isilme so long to respond, but he was relieved when he heard her soft voice carry over the ambient noise, indicating that she was going to go inform the others.

In the mean time, Helm mused, I might as well at least get out of the water...

Moving slowly, constantly glancing back at the Kobolds to ensure that they're none the wiser, Helm begins to pick his way towards the opposite bank. It's gentler rise from the river giving him some assurance that it would not give way so easily under foot. The fire that the kobolds were settings was currently small, but Helm didn't have faith in it staying that way for long - and as it grew, his cover would evaporate. He needed something more substantial if he planned to hide for very much longer ... Maybe the building next door ... hmm...

He gently unslings his bow and loosens an arrow in his quiver - if he does get spotted, he intends to at least get the first shot off.

Moving to position U-17 on the grid [roll0]

EltaninDraco
2014-10-25, 04:19 PM
Devlin

The gnome's eyes go wide at Isilme's news, shock and frustration clear on his face. He struggles to keep his voice low as he turns on the girl " 'May or may not still be there?!' Didn't you check?! Or did you leave him at the base of a fall possibly unconscious and IN THE WATER?!" A deep breath and Devlin brings his anger into check, knowing this girl has no attachment to his friend and that she probably won't help if she's just being yelled at, though his words are still cold "Can you guide us to him? Preferably quickly?" Under his breath he makes a quite plea: "Istishia, he may be a fool, but please let him be ok!"

I assume you're gong to want these.
stealth [roll0]
perception [roll1]
clarification: that perception is to look for Helm or any sign of him.

RadarD
2014-10-25, 04:27 PM
Helm manages to detangle himself from the foliage without much trouble and slides out of the water on the far bank. By keeping low and far from the fire he makes it part way across the field without the kobolds so much as glancing in his direction.

Helm: Since you are now basically in the open roll one more stealth to make it to the building if thats still your plan.

Cristov
2014-10-25, 04:36 PM
Evendur

Evan glances to the town and shakes his head "Well, so much for the plan." He shakes his head some "Well, not a complete loss, I mean we got some info" He checks his pack one more time before making his way along the bank, doing his best to not draw attention.

Well, this is going to go poorly

Stealth [roll0]
perception [roll1]

Patrick?
2014-10-25, 04:39 PM
Helm pauses in the darkness, with all his might surpressing the urge to shiver as a cool night breeze drifted over his soaking wet form. Weighing the myriad of pros and cons, risk against risk ... he decides to go for it. Timing his motion until the kobolds must turn their back from him, and giving one last accusatory glance at the river, Helm makes a break for the the building...

moving to I-19. Stopping there, assuming I feel safe enough, to wait and watch for Isilme et al's return.

Roll for stealth: [roll0]

KoalaOtter
2014-10-25, 04:43 PM
Isilme

"Obviously I looked for him, but I didn't hear or see him. The river isn't deep, I would have seen him if he'd been knocked unconscious. He is either really good at hiding, or made it out of the water. I thought he may have returned here. Regardless, that is the situation, and the information you requested. You can be angry, or you can help. I am heading back immediately."

And she was already running back up the river.

RadarD
2014-10-25, 04:55 PM
Helms luck held out and as the kobolds moved around the corner for more kindling he dashed for the building. Despite being cold and wet at least he was out of sight of the creatures for the moment, hopefully his companions would arrive soon.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-25, 05:05 PM
Devlin

Visibly relieved, Devlin does his best to keep up with his guide, replying between breaths: "God's girl! Next time lead with 'he's OK!'"

Cristov
2014-10-27, 02:15 PM
Evendur

Evan glances back to make sure their dragonborn friend was keeping up "I'm really not cut out for this running through bushes thing, but at least we still have an element of surprise." He thinks to himself. He refocuses on their current goal, getting to Helm and making sure he's not in any danger.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-27, 03:21 PM
Isilme

As she turns to head back, she notices the group following quickly after her. Oh good... I guess.

Then she paused to think. It was dark and they were in a hurry. Are the bushes worth it? The gnome probably wouldn't even be able to see.

She turned. "Bushes or no bushes?" She looked at the gnome and added "I'm not good at...people."

EltaninDraco
2014-10-27, 06:13 PM
Devlin

Devlin keept his eyes on the path as he worked to keep up with his long-legged companions. When his guide addressed him, he almost missed her words.

She turned. "Bushes or no bushes?" She looked at the gnome and added "I'm not good at...people."
The bard couldn't help but grin, previous frustration fading "Yes, I'm beginning to notice.. But no harm done, assuming Helm hasn't gotten himself into any trouble - an unlikely scenario! - and you can get us there quickly. I don't care about the path, as long as we can safely get to where you lost him. From there we will just have to hope we find the clumsy fool before something else does."

Mondlevic
2014-10-27, 06:27 PM
Darigaaz

As the others ran off, Darigaaz drove his greatsword into the ground and knelt before it. Bahamut, grant me strength that I may use it to rid this town of these vermin. Watch over my companions as well. Danger surrounds this place.

With his prayer finished, the dragonborn rose again and made his way along the creek bed, making sure not to get too close to his friends lest he draw attention to everyone.

Sneaky paladin[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Don't know how many you need, so I rolled a bunch. Just take them in order as needed.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-27, 08:57 PM
Isilme
[roll0]
[roll1]

RadarD
2014-10-27, 09:16 PM
As Helm waits behind the building the kobolds continue their task. From his vantage point he can just make out one creature adding sticks to the blaze. A couple minutes pass while he waits for Isilme to return with the others. Luckily they are an uneventful couple minutes for Helm.
Then a woman's cry pierces the ambient sound of the bubbling creek and crackling fire. The sound is shrill and full of terror. There is no mistaking that it comes from the burning building.

Meanwhile the rest of the group moves relatively quietly through the brush. Despite the gnomes pack snapping a few branches a little louder than the rest of the party would have liked the trip is uneventful. There is little to see on the southern border of the town and surrounded by bushes but it seems every time they look up there is a new trail of smoke coming from inside the town. In only a couple minutes Isilme informs them they are about 40ft from where she last saw Helm. Just as they begin to creep towards the River a terror filled scream fills the night.

Don't need initiative yet but post about a rounds worth for me to reply to.
Helm: Your situation is pretty straightforward but let me know if you have questions.
Rest: You are about 30ft off the right side of the map approximately along row 11. The bushes are difficult terrain. The creek is only about 10 feet through the bushes to the south. Also hit me up with questions or act as you will.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-28, 09:00 AM
Isilme

Isilme freezes at the sound of the scream, nearly causing a collision with the person behind her.

No time.

No longer caring about the cover of the brush, she makes to jump into the creek and cross to the other brush-free bank.

Creek jumping/bank climbing if no one moves to stop her
Athletics [roll0]
Acrobatics [roll1]

EltaninDraco
2014-10-28, 09:50 AM
Devlin

"Isilme, wait!" Devlin whispers uselessly to the space his guide used to occupy and watches her run off perpendicular to the "trail" they were following. Muttering a curse under his breath, Devlin turns to Evan "I'm going that way" he says softly, gesturing along the path they'd been following that marked where Helm and Isilme had ventured on their initial journey "and looking for Helm. If you want to follow the girl, go ahead, I'll let Darigaaz know we've split up."

Cristov
2014-10-28, 01:11 PM
Evendur

Evan freezes hearing the scream, the mental image of his home being torn apart jumped forward, keeping him from making another move. The sound of Devlin speaking to him was just enough to get him refocused on what he had been doing,"Wait..you're saying she just ran off...again" He responds just above a whisper in volume. He shakes his head a bit catching his breath "I'm really not cut out for this whole running down trails thing." He turns to follow Isilme "I suppose someone has to make sure she doesn't get into trouble" he says as he starts off, hoping he wasn't too far behind her.

Perception to try and spot Isilme [roll0]
Acrobatics? to try and jump the creek when it comes up [roll1]

Patrick?
2014-10-28, 09:15 PM
Helm:

Helm's heart skips a beat when he hears the woman's scream. By the gods ... is she trapped in that burning building? Why did she wait so long to cry out?

Helm scans the foliage hanging over the river. The damp leaves glinted in the light of the fire, and an occasional clod of dirt was still tumbling into the river from where he fell, but otherwise, it was still. So much for a grand entrance from the others ....

Helm shrugged. He'd been alone before. Assuming he survived tonight, he'd likely be alone again - he didn't require a length council with endless advisers before he could make a decision. He did, however, need information if he was going to act wisely...

Carefully, Helm edges his way around the wall, and towards the burning building...

Helm wants to peak into the window at H12 on the map.
Here is my stealth roll:
[roll0]

Mondlevic
2014-10-29, 01:21 AM
Darigaaz

At the sound of the scream Darigaaz forgot all about trying to be sneaky, and ran to catch up with his companions. Moments later he caught sight of them, or at least two of them. Isilme had run off again. Evan took off in the direction Darigaaz had to assume the monk had gone, splashing through the creek. Graceful.

The only one left was the gnome. "What now?" he asked.

EltaninDraco
2014-10-29, 09:52 AM
Devlin

"What now?"
Devlin nods to the dragon born as he steps out from the bushes, and quickly recounts the events, eager to keep moving. "Evan went after Isilme, so hopefully they'll keep each other alive. I'm still going for Helm, who is presumably in that direction" gesturing to the "path" they had been following. Wryly he adds: "I don't know which of our headstrong companions is going to need your help the most, but since I lost my guide I could use a pair of eyes that aren't blocked by this infernal brush!"

RadarD
2014-10-29, 05:13 PM
Isilme leaps gracefully across the creek and lands already running on the other side. Evan follows suit and while his leap is far less graceful he manages to clear the water and the soft mud of the opposite shore cushions his fall enough for him to stay on his feet. The two move down the creek making far better time outside the dense bushes. An awkward bush in the river is the only indication that they are passing where Helm fell in but it deserves hardly a glance compared to the scene that is unfolding ahead of them.

Make perception to check if you see Helm.
percep<15 you don't see him with all the confusion. See below.
percep>=15 you see him peering through the window against the house.

As Helm reaches the window he looks in just in time to see a flurry of movement in the hallway beyond the room the window connects to. First 3 children ushered by a limping man and then a woman waving a spear wildly behind her. On her heels more of the small lizard creatures make taunting noises as they make pursuit. He hears a noise behind him as the door bursts open and they pour into the field between the house and creek.

Roll perception to see if you notice Isilme and Evan
percep<12 you dont see them with all the commotion.
percep>=12 You see them jogging up the side of the creek and notice its just them ;)

Intrigued by the scream the kobolds outside paused in their task and perked up their ears towards the house. Just as they are about to move towards the building 3 sobbing children explode out of the doorway. A common looking man covered in blood from the waist down pushes them from the house and guides them towards the creek away from the fire and creatures manning it. Close behind him is a woman wielding a shield and spear attempting to fend off more kobolds as they pour from the building behind her.

Meanwhile Devlin and Darigaaz begin bushwhacking through the brush following the signs of Helm and Isilme's original scouting trip. Ahead they hear a commotion, a mix of grunts and perhaps children's sobs.

Will update map momentarily. Devlin and Darigaaz are still 20ft off the map to the right along row 11. Neither the family or the kobolds have noticed any of your characters yet, too distracted by the task at hand. Roll Initiative OoC before posting so we can keep the timing right.

Cristov
2014-10-29, 05:23 PM
Evendur

Evan takes a deep breath as he avoided the creek. He looks up to see Isilme "thought you might need a little back up" He says softly as they make their way out of the creek. He looks up to survey the town, momentarily running a hand over the hilt of each dagger before he reaches back to pull his staff from his back instead. "Right bit of mess this is turning out to be." He jokes readying himself to give backup to Isilme.

Kobolds are in plain view, lets just hope Helm is too
Perception [roll0]

KoalaOtter
2014-10-29, 07:53 PM
Isilme

Isilme streaks down the bank of the creek, not even breaking stride upon lightly landing on the other side of the river. She hears someone land clunkily behind her, but it doesn't ever register that he speaks to her as she sees the swarm of people pouring from the building ahead.

She scans the scene before her for Helm and tightens her grip on her quarterstaff.

Not good.

Perception [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]

RadarD
2014-10-29, 08:30 PM
Initiative (1) kobold5-8

The kobolds growl in pleasure as the family flees before them. The metal of their daggers glinting in the firelight as they fan out around the woman who looks determined to hold them off as long as possible.

See map for new locations.

It is now the Adventurers turn.

Patrick?
2014-10-29, 08:41 PM
As the kobold's swarm out of the building and begin to fan out around the beleaguered villagers, Helm wastes no time. With a long practiced motion, he deftly plucks an arrow out of his quiver, and nocks it.

He takes a quick, steadying breathe - as much to give himself a moment to choose a target as it is to steady his nerves -

Protect the children first. Protect them as I was protected.

He lets fly at the Kobold nearest to the children.

In the same moment he stands, turns, and runs away from the monsters. Once he reaches his new position, he spins and shouts at the Kobolds, "Wretched vermin! Come and get me if you dare! Ha HA!"

Move to J18 (I assume the squares are 5 ft on a side)

Attack Kobold in O13

Attack rolls with advantage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

damage roll assuming a hit:
[roll2]

RadarD
2014-10-29, 08:53 PM
Helms arrow plunges solidly into the kobolds back. The children can see just the tip of the arrow protrude from the kobolds chest before it limply falls forward into the dirt. By the time the other kobolds realize their companion has fallen Helm is already taunting them from in front of the barn.

It is still the parties turn (Everyone but Helm)

Cristov
2014-10-29, 09:33 PM
Evendur

Evan notices helm before his eyes grow wide watching as he looses an arrow, "He can't be so foolish" he mutters to himself. He gives one quick glance to Isilme then towards the Kobolds. "as good a time as any I suppose" He says before giving his staff a good spin as he stops with the top pointed towards his opponent he utters a single word loudly and deliberately"Burn"

No movement, target is Kobold at N12

Attack with advantage, Firebolt cantrip
[roll0]
[roll1]

Assuming one of those hits, Damage is
[roll2]

RadarD
2014-10-29, 09:40 PM
The pierced kobold has barely hit the ground when a bolt of fire comes searing through the air scorching off half of another kobolds face. The impact spins him slightly and as his body hits the ground in death the observers are spared the gruesome sight of what remains of his head as it lands wound first in the dirt.

Still the adventurers turn (Isilme, Darigaaz, Devlin)

Mondlevic
2014-10-30, 02:52 AM
Darigaaz

With Helm's shouted taunt, Darigaaz turned to Devlin and said, "well, I suppose that answers if Helm is alright. Shall we see what trouble hes gotten himself into now? Hold on tight." The dragonborn reached out for the gnome and placed him on his shoulders before jumping over the creek.

Athletics to jump the creek and carry Devlin
[roll0]
[roll1]
The second one is if needed for disadvantage due to carrying a gnome; just use the first if you don't want me to have disadvantage.

KoalaOtter
2014-10-30, 07:09 AM
Isilme

Isilme's heart leapt at the sound of Helm's battle cry, and she felt a renewed sense of purpose. She quickly drew a dart from her side pouch. As she quickly positioned herself for a better vantage point, she heard Evan shout triumphantly and a stream of fire shot into the face of one of the kobolds.

Oh gods. A SORCERER??

She struggled to steal herself against the flashbacks that were pushing into her mind and to quell the nausea that threatened to incapacitate her. Not now, she thought, not today, and visualized shoving everything back into a tiny box in the back of her brain. She was not excited for when that box finally tumbled open.

Having regained her nerve and set aside her fear and disgust associated with sorcerers, she hurled a dart at the pack of kobolds.

Move to T15 and throw a dart at the kobold in N10

Throw [roll0]
Damage if needed [roll1]

Do I need a roll for overcoming PTSD in the moment? I don't know what that would be.
Here's a d20 roll just in case, and then you can use whatever modifier: [roll2]

RadarD
2014-10-30, 08:56 AM
Despite her attempt to steel herself from the visions Isilme's aim is thrown off and her dart strikes the strongest part of the kobolds armor, bouncing off harmlessly. Though it does draw that kobolds attention to her.

Ill wait for Devlin to post before commenting on Darigaaz's action but assuming Devlin doesn't resist it should be pretty straight forward and you will show up in the next round.

Still Adventurers turn (Devlin)

EltaninDraco
2014-10-30, 10:17 AM
Devlin

"well, I suppose that answers if Helm is alright. Shall we see what trouble hes gotten himself into now? Hold on tight." The dragonborn reached out for the gnome and placed him on his shoulders before jumping over the creek.

Devlin laughs as he's lifted up and looks around from his new vantage point. "Ahh, we're almost there!" he says, seeing the river and town for the first time since they delved into the brush. Then on a second look, the gnome spots all the figures: "it's looking a little dangerous over there. Thanks for the lift, but if you can drop me here I'll provide backup from this side of the river!"

With his feet back on the ground, Devlin calls to his friend as the dragonborn jumps the creek "Strength to your sword and shield!" And with that, he takes out his flute and leans against a convenient rock, eyes taking in the scene as he starts to play.

Darigaaz: you have bardic inspiration! Once within the next 10 minutes, you can roll 1d6 and add it to a d20 roll. You can choose to add the die after you see the result of the d20, but it has to be before you find out if you succeeded or not.

Map: Presumably Devlin can be dropped off around Z10.

RadarD
2014-10-30, 10:42 AM
Initiative(2) Party

The dragonborn plows through the remainder of the brush before Devlin jumps off to remain in the cover of the bushes. Darigaaz then makes a glorious leap over the creek to land behind the family.

I put you at the end of the logical path he would have ran, the yellowish is steep slope so you cant really stand there. You can move around in the green as difficult terrain all you like.

Now kobolds 1-4

RadarD
2014-10-30, 11:00 AM
Initiative(3) Kobolds1-4

Enraged, two of the kobolds charge at the taunting archer with daggers drawn. They brandish the weapons menacingly as the close in on his location.
Meanwhile the kobolds that had been tending the fire close in on the woman.

kobold 1: action to dash to end next to woman
kobold 2: move next to woman and stab
attack [roll0] pact tactics advantage [roll1]
damage [roll2]
kobold 3&4: action to dash next to Helm

Next Family turn

RadarD
2014-10-30, 12:48 PM
Initiative(4) Family

The woman screams as the kobolds dagger opens a gash in her stomach. Desperate to save her childrens life as well as her own she jabs her spear towards the bloodthirsty creature. When her husband hears her cries of pain he pushes the children towards the woman(Isilme) who just appeared at the edge of the firelight.
"Save them" he shouts at Isilme before turning to confront the creatures assailing his wife.

The children rush to Isilme's side at their fathers urging and the little girl clings to Isilme's pants sobbing loudly.

Woman: Action attack kobold2
attack: [roll0]
damage:[roll1]

Man: move to O11 and attack kobold5
attack: [roll2]
damage[roll3]

Despite their efforts the parents wounds are grievous and their attacks against the creatures are ineffective.

RadarD
2014-10-30, 12:56 PM
Initiative(1) kobold5-8

Easily dodging the wounded mans attempt to stab him the kobold counter attacks with a thrust of his own dagger towards the man. The dagger deftly slices the mans neck and he falls to the ground clutching the wound. Unfortunately for him the blood has driven the other kobold into a frenzy and he lunges at man driving his dagger into his chest leaving him lying limp in a puddle of his own blood.

kobold5 attacks man
damage[roll1]

kobold8 attacks man
attack: [roll2] pack tactics advantage [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

It is now the adventurers turn!

Cristov
2014-10-30, 01:46 PM
Evendur

As his bolt takes down its target he notices Isilme freeze for a moment before missing her dart badly. This is not a good time for her to be getting so tense He thinks to himself before calling out to her as he sees the children running to her "Isilme, That bolt was me, sorry for not warning you, Think you can get to Helm, his hands seem more than full." As he finishes speaking he gives another flourish with his staff leveling it towards the Kobold that had slashed the man's throat "You're next, Burn" he utters as before

Move to W15

sending another Firebolt towards the kobolds [roll0]
kobold 5 because I forgot
Damage [roll1]

RadarD
2014-10-30, 01:58 PM
After seeing his companions face melt only moments before the kobold is ready for the next bolt of fire that comes flying his way. Even then the fire just misses the creature, flying past to stirke the already burning house behind him.

Still the adventurers turn (everyone but evan, though he can still move if he likes)

EltaninDraco
2014-10-30, 03:08 PM
Devlin cringes when he sees the Kobolds take down the man, and he quickly moves through the bushes to get a better vantage point to see if there's anything he can do to help. There's just too many of them... Damn! The jaunty battle music Devlin had been playing takes on an eerie cast as it swells, soon loud enough to be heard over the sound of battle, though it seems focused on the kobolds attacking the woman. Just after the new theme resolves the bard lowers the flute and calls out to the others "Kids, come over here, I'll see that you stay safe!"

move to AA10
Magic at Kobold 2 : viscous mockery (ok, more like viscous music... hopefully that's ok :P ) Wisdom save DC12. Fail: [roll0] psychic damage and disadvantage on next attack
Call the kids, with authority! Persuasion [roll1]

RadarD
2014-10-30, 03:28 PM
Kobold2
[roll0]

The kobold hears the doom filled music but rather than fear the woman sees anger in his eyes, he is not backing down.

Mondlevic
2014-10-31, 01:55 AM
Darigaaz

Upon landing, Darigaaz shouted a warning to the kobolds before drawing his greatsword and readying to attack should they not back down. "Qe gethrisja, wux kavari! Jalyur jiil di dout cirau tepoha wielgtor. Zexenuma tenpiswo vur wux nishka demak astahi. Jaseve nomeno goawy jaka usv zahhar wer skriiod di Bahamut!"

Translation PM'd to Dave/those who can speak Draconic.
Intimidate the kobolds: [roll0]
I assume I still have my actions, readied move/attack to the nearest kobold that doesn't run away if reachable. Otherwise I'll just move to a kobold.

Mondlevic
2014-10-31, 01:57 AM
Darigaaz

Add this to my intimidate: [roll0]

RadarD
2014-10-31, 08:11 AM
Driven by the bloodlust of their recent kill the kobolds are unphased by Darigaaz's attempt to scare them off. The kobold over the body of the man pulls his dagger from the mans chest and glares at the dragonborn moving towards him.

Still Adventurers turn(Isilme, Darigaaz-specify actions with new info, Helm)

KoalaOtter
2014-10-31, 05:18 PM
Isilme

Isilme staps back to the present, with three children clutching her desperately. "Daadddyyyy" one of them wails.

"Don't look! Don't look!"

Isilme crouches down, turning them away from the slaughter. "I'm Isilme, I'm friends with Missy and Bobbi Jo Silwe, they're from here too. Right now I need to go help your Mommy, ok? Run over to that shed and hide for me, we'll come get you when it's over. Be very very quiet." She had gestures to the small building behind her.

She sends up prayers to the gods of both her mother and her father, just to be safe.

With that she runs at the kobold threatening the woman, and attempts a big, two-handed swing at his (her?) face with her quarterstaff. Without breaking form, she continues her follow through, extending her leg into a roundhouse kick aiming at the neighboring kobold.

Kobold 1
Quarterstaff to hit [roll0]
QS damage if needed [roll1]

Kobold 2
Unarmed strike to hit [roll2]
US damage if needed [roll3]

RadarD
2014-10-31, 06:37 PM
Isilme's flashbacks continue to haunt her and her attacks miss their target. The kobolds grimace as they prepare a counter attack.

Still the adventurers turn(Helm, Darigaaz)

Mondlevic
2014-10-31, 08:24 PM
Darigaaz

Seeing the Kobolds unphased by his warning, Darigaaz decided a more straightforward approach was necessary. With his greatsword raised, he charged the nearest creature and brought the blade down in a sweeping strike, connecting with the kobold's collarbone. His swing didn't stop until the sword met the dirt.

Attack the Kobold [roll0]
Damage if it hits [roll1]

RadarD
2014-10-31, 09:51 PM
The kobolds glares turn to despair when the dragonborn follows up on his threat skewering one of the creatures nearly in half with a might blow.

Still the parties turn (Helm)

Patrick?
2014-10-31, 10:46 PM
Helm:

Helm watches analytically as Isilme and Darry charge into the Kobold horde - pleased to see them defending the children's remaining parent.

Addressing the two short, scaley monsters infront of him, Helm raises his voice, full of false bravado once again:

"Ho-HO! You horrible little monsters are fast! Let's see how fast you really are."

Helm casually let's his bow fall from his hand, and then, with a surprisingly quick movement, he produces two short, stocky, sharp blades - and lashes out at the kobolds in front of him.

Attacking Kobold K18 with my Main-Hand swing
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Patrick?
2014-10-31, 10:48 PM
And swinging through to the kobold next door as well with his offhand...

Swinging at Kobold K17 with hist offhand

damage: [roll1]

Edit

Dangit! So close!! Soooo close! Where's the bardic inspiration when you need it??

I'm pretty sure I brought the first one down, if so, I want to move to intercede between the remaining Kobold and the children - call it L17

RadarD
2014-11-01, 09:01 AM
The first kobold was too slow to avoid the sudden blade attack by Helm and falls to the ground grasping a large gash on his chest as his eyes begin to haze over. The second kobold saw the glint of steel just in time and as he twists out of the way the blade glides harmlessly off his armor.
Helm uses the opportunity to reposition himself on the other side of the creature.

Kobold(1-4) next

RadarD
2014-11-01, 09:25 AM
Following their nature to prey on the weak the kobold aims his dagger at the bleeding woman hoping to finish the job he started. Meanwhile his companion, having seen the now dual blade wielding half-elf take down his hatch mate, leveled his dagger with revenge in his eyes.

Kobold2 dagger woman
attack: [roll0] pack tactics advantage [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Kobold3 dagger Helm
attack: [roll3]
damage[roll4]

The Kobolds dagger strikes the woman and she falls to the ground, those who look closely see that her breathing is slow and difficult, she seems to be unconscious but alive.
Helm feels the pain of retribution as the kobolds dagger also strikes home dealing a vicious blow.

The woman is unconscious but alive, ill have her make death saves like a PC since she just barely dropped.
Helm you take 6 damage.

Family Turn inc

RadarD
2014-11-01, 09:45 AM
Initiative(4) family

Despite Devlins cries from the bushes the large Dragonborn moving past frightens the children into following Isilme's suggestion and they move to the shed in the south. They cower sobbing around the corner so far unaware their mother has also fallen to the vicious creatures.

Kobolds(5-8) next

RadarD
2014-11-01, 09:55 AM
Initiative(1) kobolds(5-8)

Seeing the blood seeping from the half elf's wound the kobold is driven into a frenzy and charges, blood from the slain man still dripping from his dagger.

With the woman down the kobold focuses his attention on this new staff wielding girl, she should be easy prey he thinks closing in.

Kobold5 move to M16 and attack Helm
attack: [roll0] pack tactics advantage [roll1]
damage[roll2]

kobold8 move to P11 and attack Isilme
attack:[roll3] pack tactics advantage [roll4]
damage[roll5]

Isilme's assailant misjudges her talent and his dagger gets nothing but air as she deftly steps aside despite the threat of the other kobold nearby.

Helms armor saves the day as the bloody dagger scrapes off harmlessly leaving a trail of the mans blood on his armor.

Now the Adventurers turn!

Patrick?
2014-11-01, 12:51 PM
Helm:

Helm grunts as the Kobold strikes home, gritting his teeth and resetting his defensive stance. Even without taking his eyes off his foe, he hears the clattering of tiny claws upon the cobblestones - another Kobold was closing in on him.

This is bad ground, but if I give it up, they'll be free to attack those kids ... Guess I'm stuck here.

The blade in Helm's right hand flashes towards his first foe...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Patrick?
2014-11-01, 12:53 PM
And seeing the Kobold was prepared to parry it again, follows through with the left from the other direction...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cristov
2014-11-01, 02:28 PM
Evendur
Evan surveys over the two groups of kobolds, his eye catching a glimpse of the woman as she falls. This just got a lot worse He thinks to himself before turning his focus back towards Helm, just in time to see the first dagger hit home. He figures that between Isilme and Darigaaz they should be able to handle the two near them. His decision to help Helm made easier as he sees Helm's attempts fail to bring down a foe. "Don't have time to screw this up again" He takes a deep breath, giving his staff a bit of a twirl before again pointing it towards the nearest foe. "Burn" the word crossed his lips, again followed by a blazing bolt of fire.

Fire Bolt directed at Kobold5 Center mass.[roll0]

Fire, hopefully to explode him damage [roll1]

RadarD
2014-11-01, 05:06 PM
Disappointment in missing Helm with his bloody dagger has barely set in when a burst of fire scorches his back and ends all the pent up feelings in his tiny kobold mind. He drops to the ground and his dagger rolls out of his hand as his eyes roll back into his head. Rageblood the kobold was no more.

Still the adventurers turn.(Isilme, Darigaaz, Devlin)

KoalaOtter
2014-11-01, 05:15 PM
Isilme

Isilme brings her quarterstaff down with full force over the kobold whose dagger had barely missed her midriff. Focus this time! she yells in her head.

Attack [roll0]
Damage? [roll1]

KoalaOtter
2014-11-01, 05:23 PM
Isilme

She felt a solid connection and shifted her weight slightly to direct a kick at the kobold's crotch on her other side. Wait, do lizards have testicles? Is this lizard even a dude? She went for it anyway.

Attack [roll0]
Damage? [roll1]

Towards kobold2

RadarD
2014-11-01, 05:32 PM
Its underestimation is further verified when the dexterous girl twirls her staff around and smashes its head with a sickening crunch. The kobolds head is smashed almost into its armor and it crumples to the ground.

Perhaps luckily for the other kobold it is not male and while the kick to the crotch is extremely painful the lack of testicles allows the creature to remain standing though far less threatening.

Kobold8 is dead
Kobold2 takes 4 damage but is still standing

Still the adventurers turn(Darigaaz, Devlin)

Mondlevic
2014-11-01, 06:33 PM
Darigaaz

He stepped over the pieces of his first target to get behind the remaining kobold, dragging his sword as he moved. Once in position the dragonborn swung his blade upward.

Attack with flanking [roll0]
Damage if it hits [roll1]

RadarD
2014-11-01, 06:49 PM
As Darigaaz brings his sword up for what would certainly be a killing blow his blade snags on the corpse of his last victim and delays the strike just long enough for the intended target to step out of the way.
It seems the kobolds fight together even in death.

Still the adventurers turn(Devlin)

EltaninDraco
2014-11-02, 01:11 AM
Devlin

Seeing his friend flanked by the kobolds catches Devlin's attention, and when one of them draws blood the bards tune is broken by a curse. A moments consideration and Devlin pockets his flute Damn... Too far... and instead he draws his bow. With a silent prayer, Devlin quickly nocks and looses a green fletched arrow.

shortbow at the kobold by helm. (cover included) [roll0]

RadarD
2014-11-02, 07:27 AM
Devlin's arrow flies just wide of the kobold startling it slightly but most importantly not hitting helm.

Rageblood was down and the numbers were now against the kobolds. Feigning an attack just enough to get Helm on the defensive the Kobold makes a run for the shadows behind the barn. The other kobold with a pain in the groin and having just missed being skewered by the large dragonborn decides to tuck tail as well and makes a run for it.

Kobold2
Action: disengage, move to L4
Kobold3
Action: disengage, move to E19

The children, upon seeing the kobold near their mother flee, loose all sense of self preservation and come running out towards their fallen parents. Led by one boy who is followed by his younger siblings somewhat less enthusiastically but afraid to be without their oldest brother.

Forgot to do moms death save so here is 2 of them
[roll0]
[roll1]

The mothers breathing still seems to be struggled but steady, she has a strong will to live.

It is now the adventurers turn.

Cristov
2014-11-02, 09:11 AM
Evendur

Evan notices the children moving out of cover and quickly moves to intercept them, having no idea of the fate of their mother, he could only remember his own past. "You three okay?" he asks as he stops the eldest from moving any closer to his mother. Evan turns quickly to the dragonborn "Darigaaz, ui mobi tivol wux shilta tir ekess letoclo jacioniv?" Before the children reached their mother, he needed to know if she was alive or dead to try and help prepare them.

RadarD
2014-11-02, 04:21 PM
At first the boy is oblivious to Evan's approach but when Evan speaks in the same tongue as the vile creatures that attacked his family he pulls away.
"What did you tell that creature?! Stay away from my parents!" he shouts in Evan's face before trying to continue towards the bloody scene.

Patrick?
2014-11-02, 05:25 PM
Helm:

Ordinarily, I'd be happy to let an enemy yield, but this one is more clever than craven - I reckon he'll come back with help rather than live and let live...

Helm runs forward to retrieve his discarded bow - somewhat stiffly - allowing his swords to fall from his hands as he does so - and then leans around the corner to take a parting shot at his fleeing nemisis.

Move to J19 by way of J17
[roll0]
[roll1]

Cristov
2014-11-02, 06:08 PM
Evendur

At first the boy is oblivious to Evan's approach but when Evan speaks in the same tongue as the vile creatures that attacked his family he pulls away.
"What did you tell that creature?! Stay away from my parents!" he shouts in Evan's face before trying to continue towards the bloody scene.

Evan glares at the boy, intent on Keeping him from going any closer "I'm asking my friend if he can help your mother at all, I need you to try and calm down before you go over there. I know too well what it is to a family member. Please just listen to me." he says as he reaches out to hold the boy

Looking to use both hands on the boy's shoulders to keep him from going any further

[roll0]

RadarD
2014-11-02, 06:09 PM
Helms arrow strikes his nemesis and the kobold stumbles slightly before continuing to flee into the darkness.

Still adventurers turn(Darigaaz, Isilme, Devlin)

KoalaOtter
2014-11-03, 08:18 AM
Isilme

The kobold she kicked had just turned to run when Isilme locked eyes with Darigaaz. He would take care of the woman, and she would finish this. The gods knew she wasn't a healer, as much as she wished she was.

She took off after the kobold. She was closing in when she heard more of whatever that lizard language was behind her, and it wasn't from the dragonborn. She looked over her shoulder, never breaking stride, to see the sorcerer grab hold of one of the children.

Her brain almost exploded. Enemies from within... But she was too far away to do anything, and she couldn't let this monster go...

"DIRT IN HIS FACE!" she screamed towards the boy, "THROW DIRT IN HIS FACE!"

She'd better finish this kobold quickly. Having caught up with the she-kobold, Isilme quickly swung her quarterstaff across and down, aiming at the kobold's hip area. She followed up smoothly with a sweeping kick, hoping to knock the kobold into the fire.

Attack kobold2

QS Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Unarmed strike [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

EltaninDraco
2014-11-03, 11:22 AM
Devlin

Seeing the final kobolds flee, Devlin sighs and tucks away his bow. The thought of those creatures getting away is not pleasant, but for now there's more important things to deal with. A look around and the gnome finds a likely route down the slope, and slides more than runs down the slope, hopping the deeper part of the creek to land in the shallows with a splash. From there Devlin walks up the shallow bank towards the others just in time to hear the monk's frightened command and he frowns. Coming up behind Evan, Devlin speaks softly in gnomish, as much to not startle his companion with his arrival as anything else "Jeg tror, ​​vores ven har knækket." Moving around his friend, Devlin goes up to the kid, and stands nearly eye to eye with him as he speaks, his voice calm but serious: "Son, we're going to do whatever we can for your parents, but we need you to help us by looking after your brother and sister while we do. Can you do that? I promise, no one is going to hurt you, least of all my friend Evan here." The last sentence he adds a bit louder, pitching his voice to carry to the other companions.

RadarD
2014-11-03, 05:57 PM
Isilme's staff swings high as the kobold ducks but her kick strikes home and she feels the kobolds fragile ribs crack as his body falls into the fire.

Meanwhile Evan grabs the boy who begins to turn in rage when the gnome appears in front of him. Devlin's words manage to calm the boy enough to hear the sobbing of his siblings and remind him of his duties as the eldest.
"Fine but my mother better be ok." he stammers as he waits for his siblings to catch up.

Still the adventurers turn(Darigaaz)

Mondlevic
2014-11-04, 12:50 AM
Darigaaz

Hearing Evan speak his language caught Darigaaz off guard, but there wasn't time to question him right now. The dragonborn knelt down by the woman to check on her condition. She was still breathing, although barely. Her breaths were coming in so shallow, you wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't look closely enough. I'll have to work quickly to stop the bleeding and save her life. Darigaaz pulled some bandages from the pouch hanging form his belt and set to work.

Med kit uses remaining: 9/10

RadarD
2014-11-04, 10:25 AM
As the last remaining injured kobold rounds the back of the barn and flees into the night the children settle down some under the watch of the gnome and some force from the sorcerer. Darigaaz stabilizes the women with his expert healing skills and the help of his healing kit but she still lies unconscious.

With the bulk of the fighting over the adventurers notice that despite the large blaze at the corner of the house it is mostly the kindling and hay the kobolds piled next to the building that is burning with only minimal damage to the house itself.

Unless Helm wants to chase after the kobold for one more shot, the kobold is now beyond the barn in some tall grass next to the path leading to the house and barn area(has cover), you will be out of initiative.

Cristov
2014-11-04, 04:57 PM
Evendur

Evan laughs hearing Devlin's words before he releases his grip from the boy's shoulder as he kneels down in front of him, "I know you're worried about your mother, Darigaaz will make sure he does everything he can for her." He removes his cloak putting it around the boy, to try and help keep him warmer before turning to Devlin "we should probably do something about that fire before it gets too much bigger" As he finishes he stands up again would be nice to have some way of getting water from that creek. He looks around trying to find a large bucket, or something to get water from the creek to put out the fire

Not sure if I need a roll to find something, if so, let me know.

RadarD
2014-11-04, 05:50 PM
There is nothing that would hold water in Evan's line of sight. However even as he looks the blaze against the house grows smaller as the fuel the kobolds piled on begins to dwindle.

The older boy accepts the cloak and wraps his siblings in it awaiting news of his mother.

Patrick?
2014-11-05, 08:32 PM
Helm:

Helm takes a knee and releases an arrow at his vast vanishing nemesis. The darkness, magnified by light of the fire, is too deep for Helm to track the path that the arrow took. The kobold stumbles, but does not fall, and then rounds the corner and is gone.

Hrmm.

Helm turns back to the party, doing his best to sort out his gear as he went, pausing to retrieve his swords and return them to his scabbards.

Surveying the situation with the family, he saw Darry kneeling over the mother, his big hands quickly at work bandaging her wounds - a good sign, Darry didn't seem the sort to waste bandages on the dead. The father, on the other hand ... the sight of the bloody corpse made Helm's heart sink.

If only we'd been faster... this is the cost of our dawdling.

Helm approaches the children, and addressing the eldest, he speaks:

"Child, I am afraid the nightmare of tonight is not over - not yet. But we're going to get you to safety. Did your family have a plan? Are there any safe places in town?"

RadarD
2014-11-06, 10:13 AM
The children huddle under Evan's cloak occasionally glancing towards Darigaaz and their mother. When Helm addresses them the oldest speaks up.

"We tried hiding in the house, they were ransacking everything, it sounded like they were carrying things outside, we thought they would pass us by..."

"Then they found us so we tried to run. I think we were going to head to the keep. The inner keep has big stone walls, nothing could get through those, I saw them last month. There are soldiers there too. They would protect us, my uncle is one of them."

The boy then grows silent and looks towards his fallen parents.

Patrick?
2014-11-06, 11:55 AM
Helm:

"Very good. This could be very important, thank you."

Helm turns to his allies, not sure which course of action seems best,

"Well, friends? Do we escort these people to the keep? Or back up the hill to the caravan?"

EltaninDraco
2014-11-06, 12:27 PM
Devlin

As Evan and Helm talk to the children, Devlin steps back, more than happy to hand off this burden now that the kids are a little less frantic. One problem down, now for the other... Devlin heads for Isilme, skirting the carnage and keeping well away from the fire. Speaking carefully, the bard tries to calm her down: "Isilme - Evan is on our side. He attacked the same creatures you did, he helped in the fight, and he certainly isn't hurting those children. You need to calm down - we have to decide what to do next."

Cristov
2014-11-06, 03:37 PM
Evendur

As he listens to the boy he nods a bit before turning to Helm "well its not like they're getting to the Keep on their own, and I'm not sure that running back to the caravan at night when we don't know for sure that its safe here is the best idea." He takes a deep breath as he looks into the sky, even with it not being winter, without his cloak there was a bit of a chill to the air "Its good to see you still standing Sir Helm, you had me a bit worried taking on two of them like that" His tone far more personal than had been his norm. "You might want to avoid the pointy end a bit better next time however" He says with a grin, pointing to Helms injury.

Patrick?
2014-11-06, 09:48 PM
Helm:

Helm shuffles his feet and adjusts his cloak to cover his injury further. His voice descends from a quiet speaking voice to barely a mumble.

"It's nothing. Just a scratch. Don't weep over it. Worse still would have been worth it to protect the villagers..."

Helm takes a deep breath, squares his shoulders and turns around briskly to address the group, louder, "His Highness has spoken. We'll make for the keep."

And then quieter once more, to the children, "My young friends, I'll ask that you stay close to Devlin, the angry little gnome over there. He's scruff looking, but he'll watch out for you...

With that, Helm clamps his mouth shut and goes to the prostrate form of the father, absent-mindedly rubbing his short beard with his hand as he goes.

Kneeling over the bloody corpse, he whispers at the body, "You fought bravely for your family. You did well - they are all safe. I am sorry that their care should fall to the likes of us, but you have my word that I will do as much for them as you would. Be in peace now. .. .Erm... We do not know if you would want your children to say farewell, or if you'd spare them the horror of your body ... But I do not wish to make an issue of it with the noble, so ... I'm sorry. ... I'm sorry."

Helm spends a brief moment prettying up the dead body - ensuring that his eyes are closed and his arms and legs are arranged peacefully, and then retreats to the shadows to keep watch while his allies finish their business.

KoalaOtter
2014-11-07, 09:52 AM
Isilme

After dispatching the kobold, Isilme turned back quickly towards the party. Darigaaz was kneeling over the woman applying bandages and whatever else paladins used to fix people. She was relieved to see that the gnome had appeared and was helping the children. Evan appeared as haughty as ever, but otherwise was currently non-menacing and ...helpful? she thought as her eyes narrowed. We'll see. She saw Helm walk over to them. He appeared to be injured slightly, but was moving around pretty well.

As Isilme moved to see if she could help Darigaaz, Devlin wandered over to her.

Oh good, a lecture, she thought, as the gnome talked at her. How refreshing!

Ugh... why is he still talking?

It was always easy for cowards to counsel 'calm down' she mused. She wasn't surprised that an old gnome would feel it his place to tell her how should should feel or behave. And she also wasn't swayed by his remarks, but she waited quietly for him to finish.

She said nothing and continued to where Darigaaz was kneeling. She considered whether she would be better off on her own.

"Can I help at all?" she asked him.

EltaninDraco
2014-11-07, 08:43 PM
Devlin

His words delivered, Devlin watches as the silent, and strangely calm, monk walks away towards the dragonborn. Seeing Isilme go from frothing mad to eerily silent in seconds sends a chill down his spine. Out to sea without sail or paddle, that one... Hells, I'm not sure she even has a boat. Shaking his head, Devlin moves to the periphery of the group, walking the perimeter to make sure there are no unwelcome surprises as the others decide where to go next. When Devlin hears Helm's description of him, the bard rolls his eyes but can't contain a chuckle Angry? Scruffy?! HA! he thinks to himself, absently straightening his jacket, I'll show him scruffy! And for the rest of his patrol, Devlin's focus is split between keeping watch and coming up with an entertaining plan for revenge.

Mondlevic
2014-11-10, 07:13 PM
Darigaaz

Darigaaz was securing the final bandages when Isilme returned from killing the fleeing kobold.

"Can I help at all?"

"I think I have everything under control here, although Devlin seems like he could use some assistance," he said, nodding toward the children who had heeded Helm's advise and were now following the gnome as he scouted the perimeter. "Can you two round up the children and get them ready to move? I'll carry their mother."

To Helm and Evan he added, "The keep seems like the better option to me. It will be far safer than our caravan, not to mention closer. And I for one do not wish to draw any attention to our traveling companions. Surely there will be other villagers there as well. Perhaps we can gain some information as to why they were attacked."

With that, Darigaaz picked up the unconscious woman. Her eyelids flickered for a moment before she passed out again.

KoalaOtter
2014-11-11, 10:28 AM
Isilme

Isilme nodded and moved towards the children.

She was glad they were moving on. This milling about was making her anxious.

"We're heading to the keep," she said. And then, to the children, "Darigaaz is going to carry your mom and keep her safe"

EltaninDraco
2014-11-11, 04:26 PM
Devlin

When the children started following him, Devlin slowed his pace, pretending to not notice them, yet walking slowly enough for them to keep up. Give them something to do, something to keep them from worrying. At the approach of the monk, Devlin stepped forward, casually putting himself between the children and the unknown element before him. When she delivered her message not to him but to the air over his head, it took almost a physical effort to not comment or joke. Instead Devlin forced down the smile, nodded, and prepared to join the others with the children in tow. When she then continued by addressing the children he flinched, afraid of what it was going to be this time. When it turned out to be a simple and harmless enough update Devlin sighed out the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, and turned to the children as the half elf walked away. "Come now, you guys stick with me and we'll be to the keep in no time." And with a comforting smile Devlin led the children to the others, the whole while softly talking to each of them in turn, keeping them distracted and calm.

Cristov
2014-11-11, 04:52 PM
Evendur

Seeing the rest of the group finally moving, Evan readjusts a few things on his pack. Satisfied he takes a place towards the front "Normally I'd think Darigaaz would be best suited to take the front but, with the current state of things it might be best if someone else takes point this time. I'll take lead, Helm rear guard, Isilme you and Devlin keep an eye on things to either side."

RadarD
2014-11-12, 10:24 AM
The group begins to move along the creek towards the Keep, the children are fairly calm by now seeing that their mothers wounds are covered and her breathing is that of a calm sleep, Devlins words also keep them distracted. The little girl still lets out a faint sob now and then that can barely be heard over the bubbling water of the creek. Darkness surrounds the group at this point as the bushes on both sides block the light of any town fires and a cloud has blocked out the light of the moon for the moment. The outline of the keep is easily visible however with a clear view down the creek and the many torches illuminating the top of the wall.

As the creek widens slightly and becomes shallower anyone looking ahead of the the group can see the faint flicker of torch light much closer than the keep. About 150 ft ahead the creek curves left and the light can be seen shimmering off the water at the bend as well as illuminating the bushes on the right side of the curve.

You were at the 3 buildings in the bottom right corner of the Greenest map. Just southwest of the big number 3 on the opposite side of the creek as the number. You are now Northwest along the creek just to the north of the buildings. You are at the point where the creek gets slightly wider and the southern bushes get wider on your left as you move along the creek. You are in near total darkness unless you are using a light source of some kind.

Make perception to learn more about the light up ahead.
Also any other checks you would like to make would be fine.

Cristov
2014-11-12, 02:03 PM
Evendur

Having taken the lead for the group, Evan tries not to be too noisy as he walks, his eyes darting about making sure their path was clear. Of course it would be so dark, and light would be too much of a risk. He shakes his head some as they carry on. As he notices the lights along the creek he slows his pace, motioning to the rest of the group to follow suit. he strains his eyes a bit, trying to assess the nature of the lights, knowing full well as it were the group may need to move closer to get a better idea of things.

RadarD
2014-11-12, 09:33 PM
As the party pauses to observe the flickering light ahead they notice the bushes growing in illumination indicating the lights would be coming around the corner soon.

You hear the faint sound of voices coming from the direction of the light though you cannot make out any of the words it sounds there are at least 3 distinct voices.

You hear the distinct sounds of 3 men speaking in common and much fainter the tell tale raspy voices of kobolds muttering in draconic.

Patrick?
2014-11-12, 11:44 PM
Helm:

Helm's ears prick up at the sound of voices, as he tunes in to the sound, he offers a rare thanks to the Elvish portion of his heritage - the keen hearing of his ancestors had saved him from more than a few sticky situations throughout his life - "Shhh. Quiet. Everyone. Do you hear those voices? More Kobolds. And ... Men? Prisoners or Allies? They must be setting another fire up there. Perhaps we should learn more?"

Helm looks towards Isilme, he doesn't speak, but as he makes eye contact, the intent in his glance is clear, "Are you up for another scouting mission?"

EltaninDraco
2014-11-14, 04:52 PM
Devlin

At the sound of voices Devlin motioned to the children to be especially quiet, but he wasn't able to catch much. When Helm relayed what he heard, Devlin frowned and whispered to his companions: "Whoever it is, I say we hide and let them pass - no harm if they are friends, and we'll be safe if they aren't. We need to get our charges to that keep." And with that he looked around for a likely way to get himself and the young ones quickly and quietly out of sight.

KoalaOtter
2014-11-15, 11:50 AM
Isilme

Isilme became completely silent on hearing the voices. At least 3 men, speaking surprisingly calmly in common, as well as some other voices speaking the harsh reptilian language.

Helm heard the voices too and notified the group to silence. He looked at her
"Are you up for another scouting mission?"

She paused briefly, thinking, and then shook her head slightly. Just audibly, she said in return, "Too calm" gesturing in the direction of the voices. Devlin was already collecting the children like baby chicks and looking around for a hiding place. Isilme nodded. He was right; even if they wanted to fight, they had three children and an injured woman with them. They were in no condition to engage the enemy at present. "We should hide" she agreed simply. "We could split the sides of the bank; fighters staying on this side to be closer if we're needed." She moved just slightly further down and moved into the brush to wait.

[roll0] to hide in the brush like a tiger on the south side of the river

Cristov
2014-11-16, 05:30 PM
Evendur

Evan nods quietly glancing to keep an eye on that light "it'll be easier if we aren't all together, but everybody stay within earshot, Darigaaz, you stay near Devlin and the kids, Helm or Isilme do the same, whichever one isn't with them, stay closer to me". He waits to be sure that Devlin, Darigaaz, the family and whichever of Isilme and Helm decide to stay with them get to their hiding spot, before making for the opposite bank.

Patrick?
2014-11-16, 06:21 PM
Helm:

Helm nods at Evandur, "Sounds like a plan, then. I'm with you, Evan. There's no time to waste, the sooner we're under cover, the sooner we stop making noise."

[roll0]
[roll1]

RadarD
2014-11-16, 06:27 PM
The light ahead grows brighter and the voices louder. It appears the source will come into view at any moment.

Reminder, you have advantage on hide if you go 5 feet into the bush. You have about one round of turn before the source of the light comes around the corner.
Give me an idea of where you are hiding and your checks if thats what you choose to do.

Cristov
2014-11-16, 06:49 PM
Evendur]

Evan gives a quick nod before making for the bushes on the right side of the creek. Settling in he takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly and quietly. He could only hope the rest of the group could keep themselves hidden long enough for this group to pass.

So I figured Helm and Evan would be in the area of Position Z on the map. With the rest of the group closer to Position X

Stealth W/Advantage
[roll0]
[roll1]

EltaninDraco
2014-11-17, 12:34 PM
Devlin

Hiding spot found, and others in agreement, Devlin ushered the children towards the hiding spot south of the river. When the monk joined him he bit down on any comment, though he couldn't stop his thoughts: I hope she doesn't have another fit - we can't afford that right now. With that in mind, he made an effort to go a bit further into the bushes with his charges, working to put them past Isilme as well as get them as far from the river as he could. Once settled he did his best to keep the children calm and quiet, though he kept a careful eye in the direction of his companions and the oncoming creatures.

RadarD
2014-11-18, 08:23 AM
As the group settle into their hiding places amongst the bushes the glow of torchlight grows brighter. Devlin and Darigaaz have gone so deep into the bush they can only see that 3 distinct torch lights move slowly down the creek on the south shore. The rest of the group sees 4 humanoid figures and 3 kobolds talking as they walk along the creek.

As they get closer to the adventurers hiding area their conversation can be heard.

"We'll never get a good share of the loot patrolling this blasted creek" says what appears to be a human carrying one of the torches near the back of the group.

"Oh shut yer face. The cult is paying us for the job, probably aint much worth stealing in this sad town anyways." says the man leading the group also carrying a torch.

"Aye but if there is, surely that rogue Fennigan will be filling his pockets on top of the pay we get." replies the man in the back.

"Feel free to lighten his pockets at the camp later but you know what the boss does to those that steal from the band." replies the man in front.

This bickering continues as they walk. The two humanoid figures in the middle seem to be whispering to each other and you hear a woman's chuckle now and then but cannot make out what they are saying.
The kobolds trail behind the humanoids by about 10 feet muttering to themselves in Draconic.

None of the patrolers have given any indication that they spot the adventurers. On their current course they will walk past on the south side of the creek.

I am too lazy to do personal messages right now so

The kobolds seem to be arguing about searching the creek bed for treasure. One seems insistent that if they use a pie pan to swirl around dirt and water then shiny objects will show up. The other two are telling him he is an idiot.

Don't want to make a map if there is no battle but wanted to give you a chance to start one if you would like so.

Isilme, Helm and Evan are assumed to be just 5 feet into the bushes while Devlin, Darigaaz and the family are 15 feet in. Since Isilme ran slightly ahead of the group she is 20 feet further along the creek than the rest of you. The patrollers are 15 feet further still and approaching at a slow pace. Let me know if you let them pass or plan to ambush. If ambush give me an idea of where you wait for them to get to and ill make a map. If letting them pass ill just continue to type up what happens.

Ill update pats map and relink it here for a rough map as well.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1iF94FJBLEMQz8MmYpkeLGSJXY_rboQWX6Mzoyk-9TwE/edit
The x is isilme, the y is Devlin, Darigaaz, children and mom, the z is Helm and Evan.

RadarD
2014-11-20, 04:38 PM
Just as the group gets in between the adventurers one of the kobolds walks into the creek and begins sifting through the sand and pebbles beneath the water. "pok joork tairais." Yells one of the other kobolds at the one in the creek. Reluctantly the kobold walks out of the creek sifting the sand through his claw like hands as he walks.

"I know what the boss does" says the human in the back.
"Maybe one of the other mercenary bands lackeys has some pockets that need lightening though." he continues

"Could be" says the man in front.

Their conversation comes to a halt as they reach the clearing next to the house where the adventurers battle with the kobolds unfolded.

"What is this mess?" says the man in front.
"Looks like these kobolds ran into some resistant townsfolk. Might as well search the house for loot. Would be a shame if no one reported back with it." says the man in the rear with hint of joy in his voice.

The kobolds and humanoids move out of view towards the house.

Dont waste time.

The patrol has now moved out of view and earshot. No need for initiative . Assuming you are moving towards the keep let me know which direction you will approach. The area around the keep is a hill, difficult terrain to climb up the side opposite the road into it (the eastern side).
Let me know if you want to go straight up the back, around clockwise, around counterclockwise or something completely different.

Cristov
2014-11-21, 07:33 PM
Evendur

Evan lets out a sigh as they group passed before turning to helm "Good to know the Cult is hiring out their dirty work, lets get to the others and then to that keep" He slips from the cover of the bushes and stretches some before making his way across the creek towards the area he expected the rest of the group to be. As he reaches the other bushes he speaks up again, loud enough that hopefully the others could hear ""Now that they're gone we need to get to that keep, sooner we do that, the sooner we can deal with the rest of this mess." After finishing he waits for the rest of the group to get out of hiding, he could only hope that the rest of the way to the keep was clear of patrols, and that they could get in the keep without too much difficulty.

KoalaOtter
2014-11-25, 10:38 PM
Isilme

Isilme quietly releases her breath once the group of hired thugs passes. She considers moving off on her own, but looks back in the direction of the children. They would never make it without her fighting ability if they were to run into another group like the one that just passed.

Isilme does her best to push back her immense distaste for the sorcerer as she sees him meander out of the brush. She would stay until the children and injured woman made it to the keep. And the she'd see.

She steps lightly just out of the brush and waits for the others.

EltaninDraco
2014-11-26, 01:46 PM
Devlin

Having heard the all clear, Devlin lead the children out of the bushes to join with the others. When he looked up towards the keep, he furrowed his brows as he considered the best way to approach. It wasn't getting to the walls that he was worried about, it was being mistaken for an enemy and attacked before they could get close enough to explain. Oh well, they were going to have to try, because he couldn't think of any other way around it. When everyone was gathered together, Devlin spoke up, loudly enough for his voice to carry to the others but no further. "I'd like to get to that keep sooner than later, so I think a direct path up the hill is our best bet. I'm sure we aren't the only people taking refuge behind those walls, so hopefully the guards are expecting such as us. Also I hope they can guide us to the safest way in, as I expect it is not the front gates." Taking a breath he looked around at the others, straightened his jacket, and addressed them with a hint of the sea captain he had been long ago in his voice: "Helm, can you lead the way? Evan and I can follow with the children and Darigaaz with his charge." and with only the slightest hesitation: "And Isilme, can you make sure nothing is sneaking up behind us?"

KoalaOtter
2014-12-01, 01:44 PM
Isilme

Isilme nodded at Devlin's request and moved to the rear of the group, giving Evan a wide berth. Her first thought had been to scout with Helm, but this was probably a better plan. She also appreciated what she considered to be an acknowledgement of her fighting ability. She watched and listened intently to their surroundings as the group moved steadily towards the keep.

Cristov
2014-12-01, 09:04 PM
Evendur

Evan watches Isilme and shakes his head a bit by now you'd think she would get that I'm not a bad guy. He gives a bit of a chuckle "I know its been a bit since I had a chance to clean up, but I can't smell that bad." He says making light of being avoided so obviously.

RadarD
2014-12-02, 11:16 AM
Darkness envelops the group as the moon is covered by a cloud or plume of smoke from the many fires throughout the town. The keep shines as a light in the dark upon the hill and the adventurers move towards it, their motions covered by the darkness and the sounds of the churning creek.

The hill behind the keep is hard to ascend in the dark but the adventurers make steady progress until they find themselves at the top of the hill in a small flat area next to the walls of the keep. Just as they reach the top the sky is illuminated by a bolt of lighting and any who look up can see clearly a huge blue dragon swoop past the keep, lightning shooting from its mouth at the men on the walls.

A man leaps off the wall, lighting crackling behind him. His screams of fear from falling turn to screams of pain as he strikes the ground. Landing only a few feat away from the group the sounds of his legs breaking can be heard as well. As the man lies on the ground he looks up at the group.
"Help me please, my legs..." he says in a pained voice.
As the adventurers approach him he says "Around the corner, the sallyport...."
The man then clenches fist fulls of grass and dirt grimacing in the faint light from the torches on the ramparts above.

EltaninDraco
2014-12-04, 05:19 PM
Devlin

Happy to see the group moving, Devlin kept a running stream of comfort and distraction going for the kids. When they got closer to the keep, the gnome watched wide eyed as the dragon attacked the tower even as he urged his charges to do the opposite. Rage and awe were fighting inside; however horrible the situation, this was still a dragon, the subject of so many tales and songs. He just really hoped they were going to be able to tell this story later...

When the figure on the wall leapt, Devlin wove a bit of magic into his voice to cover the crunch of bones - these children had heard and seen enough this night. Urging the children to stay with Darigaaz, Devlin moved toward the crumpled figure, knowing that fall was enough for damage but probably not death. When the mans screams went from pain to words Devlin called out to the others, already hurrying back to keep the children moving. "Helm, Evan, grab that man and bring him along. Isilme, he said there is a sally port around that corner, take point and find it. Come on everyone, we're almost there!"

Cristov
2014-12-04, 05:48 PM
Evendur

As they reached the top of the hill, Evan looked up, unfortunately seeing that dragon was the last thing on his list of things he wanted to see Of course, go to the keep it'll be safe, You're an idiot Evan, leaving this awful town would have been better.. His thoughts quickly return to the moment when he hears the man fall, cringing slightly as he sees the man's obvious pain "Det synes at være regnet ned flere mennesker for os at hjælpe." He mutters for Devlin to hear, giving a bit of a smirk before helping helm to lift the man, doing his best to not cause him any extra pain.

So I figure I'm going to put translations in spoilers, unless it is something I don't want everyone to have easy access to.
now for the translation
"It would seem to be raining down more people for us to help."

KoalaOtter
2014-12-05, 10:22 AM
Isilme

Isilme scanned the surroundings behind them and, persuaded that nothing was following them, quickly moved around the corner to seek out the sally port.

RadarD
2014-12-05, 05:02 PM
Heading west Isilme rounds the corner of the keep. Ahead she can see men with torches and the small kobold creatures walking up the road towards the main gate of the castle. They seem focused on the main gate which is around the next corner from where she stands and do not appear to see the adventurers in the shadow of the keep. Much closer however is an inconspicuous door that must be the sallyport the man was speaking of.

Meanwhile Evan and Helm carry the man who cringes with every step but so far has not passed out from shock. Devlin and the children follow close behind with Darigaaz carrying the woman. Luckily the dim light prevents the children from seeing the bone protruding from the mans shin and the blood dampening his pants.

Men on the wall above the sallyport see the group approaching and the door is already open by the time the adventurers arrive with their charges. As they file through the door they see a small group of guards accompanied by a Dwarf with knotted tangled bright red hair. He is fully armed and a heavy key ring hangs at his hip.
Guards take their injured companion from the group if Helm and Evan are willing to give him up.

Once they are all inside the dwarf addresses the group. "I am Escobert, the Castellan of the keep. I thank you for helping these townsfolk and my guard, we have not been able to raise a proper rescue mission for the townsfolk with this bloody dragon about."

As he speaks one of the guards whispers to another while looking curiously at the children.

Roll perception to overhear the guard.
Ill give people until tomorrow night to respond to situation then I will add some more to give more obvious options for moving things along.

For map oriented curious people here is updated basic map.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1iF94FJBLEMQz8MmYpkeLGSJXY_rboQWX6Mzoyk-9TwE/edit
Let me know if you want a map of the room you are in, the sallyport room.

EltaninDraco
2014-12-06, 09:24 PM
Devlin

Devlin noded to the dwarf, hiding his frustration at the guards relieving them of the injured guard but not the injured woman. "Well met Escobert, I'm Devlin, recently off the Island Wind" the gnome replied shortly, waving away the thanks and excuses in favor of seeing to his charges "Is there somewhere we can take these children and their mother? The woman is in a bad way, and the young ones need seeing to, preferably by kin?" He added the last with a glance towards the whispering guards.

RadarD
2014-12-07, 10:27 AM
The guards perk up at the mention of the childrens kin. "Yes of course, come children we will take your mother to the infirmary and find your uncle." the whispering guard says as he offers to take the woman from Darigaaz.

As the children are led away Escobert addressed the group once again. "Well met Devlin, I would be gratful if you and your companions would accompany me to the wall. I would like to discuss what you have seen of this attack. If you need medical attention you can stop by the infirmary but please meet me on the walls when you are ready."

He begins moving towards the door slowly, waiting for your response but clearly anxious to get back to the battlements.

EltaninDraco
2014-12-07, 05:46 PM
Devlin

Devlin waved goodbye to the kids, happy to see them being taken care of before he turned back to the dwarf. "I'd be more than happy to tell you our short tale of this town, though I'll need some help with the dialogue" he added, glancing at his colleagues "as I didn't catch it all. However, I'll only walk with you part of the way; I've seen what happens to men on the walls and I have no desire to be a target for that dragon. Besides" he continued as he gave his fiddle case a soft pat, "I'm a minstrel, not a fighter - the walls of a keep besieged are no place for me." And with that (and after any other relevant dialogue) Devlin followed the Dwarf and told his tale.

I'm not going to recount everything IC since we were all there and know what happened. Devlin does, however, tell it all to the Dwarf as they stroll. Devlin's recounting of their adventure through the city is going to be mostly short and concise enemy movements and strength, not an epic adventure tale or anything since that's obviously not what the dwarf wants to hear, nor what they have time for. What little he does say about their fight though is some awesome exaggeration, so if anyone is paying attention they'll notice that he talks up the actions of his colleagues a fair bit, though he paints himself as just an observer.

Cristov
2014-12-07, 06:45 PM
Evendur

Evan follows close behind "Ah leave it to a gnome to make short tales" He quips giving a wry smile to Devlin as he turns. Hearing Devlin backing out of going up on the wall he shakes his head some "What luck have you had fighting from this keep, and do you have any ideas on how to get rid of that bloody dragon that keeps flapping around?"

KoalaOtter
2014-12-08, 09:57 AM
Isilme

Isilme stood quietly by as the introductions were made. She couldn't find a good place to interject her question, so finally she just interrupted the current speaker.

"Is Leosin here?" she asked, in the direction of Escobert.

RadarD
2014-12-08, 04:56 PM
Isilme's question comes in at the slight pause of Devlins response when he taps his fiddle.
"I believe a half-elf of that name spoke with the Governor this morning, he is most likely in the town somewhere though not in this keep." he replies to Isilme before turning to address Devlin.
"Have no fear Gnome, you will be perfectly safe in the tower, perhaps you can provide some of my men with the courage and luck you have brought your companions, arriving at the keep without a scratch."

When Evendur inquires about the dragon the dwarfs eyes furrow. "That my friend is a good question. The keep is holding strong, minimal damage to the structure and very few dead or wounded so far. The dragons attacks have been, well , halfhearted it seems to me." he states beginning to stroke his beard.
"The creature simply flies past unleashing lightning on the walls, it does not even appear to aim the blasts. The biggest problem is that my men are terrified of the creature. I can hardly get them to return fire." he adds.
"Now let us get to the walls where I can fill you in on the latest information." he says moving out the door and across the courtyard.

The group is led through the courtyard by the red haired dwarf, listening to Devlins recounting as they walk. As they approach the main tower of the keep and the stairs to the upper wall a woman comes out of a nearby building, her clothes stained with dried blood.
"The children said someone was wounded in their rescue." she says and before he can conceal the blood stain on his shirt Helm is grabbed by the woman.
"Come let me fix you up, you can join your friends when I am done." she says pulling him into the building she came from.

Everyone but Helm is presumed to be following the dwarf up the internal stairs of the tower to the next level. If you would like to interact more feel free. If not I will post again tomorrow night when Devlin's tale is complete and you are in the tower on the upper wall level.

Patrick?
2014-12-09, 10:06 PM
Helm:

Relieved to be in the walls, doubly relieved to have gotten the family - most of the family - to safety, it takes Helm a long moment to realize the handsy woman is whisking him away from the group.

Before shock or panic can set in, he observes the mess on her apron and reaches the logical conclusion that his new fried is a medic - whether a veteran or a volunteer is less obvious.

"It's nothing to worry about. A nap and a sandwich would leave me right as rain, though I suppose both might be hard to find tonight ... My name is Helm."

RadarD
2014-12-10, 09:26 AM
The woman smiles as Helm speaks. "I'm sure we can find you a sandwich, and in lieu of a nap we have this nice salve for your wound. Should make you feel much better. Must be properly applied of course." Winking at Helm as she says the last part.
As she pulls Helm into the building she motions to a child to get some food and sits Helm down on a table and begins pulling up his shirt to get at the wound. A small wooden bowl with a silvery cream sits on a table nearby.

Meanwhile the rest of the group moves up the stairs to the upper tower as Devlin recounts their entry to the town.
The room you stand in has a door leading to other parts of the tower as well as door onto the walls themselves. Inside are a collection of wall defense weapons including bows and arrows, Barrels labeled flammable and also some large rocks.

When Devlin finishes the tale Escobert strokes his beard a couple times then replies.
"Your tale lends credence to the rumors of looting I have heard from the villagers but it troubles me they are also so bloodthirsty. It does not bode well for those still outside the walls. However the matter at hand is this Dragon, I cannot organize my men with them terrified and I cant expect the townsfolk to come here for safety with a Dragon circling about."
He pauses then looks at the group calculatingly.
"Perhaps your companions can continue these fantastic deeds from your tale and help me drive the creature off."

Cristov
2014-12-10, 03:30 PM
Evendur

Evan turns quickly hearing the dwarf's comments "I don't fault your men for not wanting to fight that thing, and unless you have something you think would be able to drive it off that you haven't mentioned don't expect me to risk my life to try and deal with it" With that he begins to inspect the contents of the room, pausing at the barrels containing the flammable substance working out potential options in his head before speaking up again "Escobert, I don't suppose you have any way of launching one of these barrels at the dragon?"

Patrick?
2014-12-10, 11:17 PM
Helm:

Completely oblivious to the salacious hints in the medic's tone, and eying the silver goop suspiciously, Helm casts back into his memory. On the streets, medicine was rare. Helm had never been treated with anything much more sophisticated than a bandage or a strip of willow bark. A few of his street-compatriots had, but none of them had anything good to say about real medicine. Flenni had claimed the pink slime he was spoon fed for a fever was gross - Clin had needed stitches and an arm set after a fall, and complained that it hurt worse than the injury did, plus it had turned his ears purple for a tenday - Lys was pretty sure that the green soup she was offered for the shaking disease was secretly poison - They had all agreed that it was horrendously expensive and even if money was out of the question, the herbalist could always be counted to demand some form of payment ...

In retrospect, none of this seemed particularly applicable to his current situation. The woman seemed friendly and he had just done the town a fair piece of work already.

"So... Uh. I've never ... Um. We don't have medicine like that where I'm from."

He pauses, but feels the urge to fill the silence hanging in the air.

"Will it ... turn my ears purple?"

RadarD
2014-12-11, 09:13 AM
Escobert looks at Evan and continues to stroke his beard as the Half-Elf speaks.
"I do not expect you to duel the dragon good sir, but at the moment my men will hardly lift a bow against it in their fear. Those who do seem to close their eyes before firing the way their arrows fly." he says shaking his head.

"I simply hope a group of your extraordinary talent would not be afraid of the dragons mere presence. Surely a monk with "lightning reflexes" can dodge some poorly aimed lighting. And a Dragonborn with "the strength of 10 men" could put that arm behind a javelin. Or you sir with your "raining down of hellfire" could unleash such powers upon the beast!" he continues a sense of excitement in his tone.

Just as Escobert finishes his rallying speach Evan asks about the barrels and Escobert's eyes alight taking the query as agreement to help.
"We usually just drop them from the walls but one of our more inventive citizens created a launching device. It is located in the southern corner of the keep on the walls. We were launching rocks towards the creek just the other day." he says pointing down the ramparts.

Meanwhile in the infirmary building.
The woman chuckles at Helm's suggestion that the salve would turn his ears purple.
" No sir, your ears will remain as lovely as they are now." she says cheerily as she takes a small dallop of the salve and begins rubbing it over the scratch and bruises on his abdomen. The salve feels cold but the woman continues to caress the area giving a strange feeling of heat and cold. The womans caresses seem more than necessary to apply the ointment, but being unfamiliar with medicine you cant be sure. Nonetheless some of the aches leave your body.

You are in the large circle tower on the map on the eastern side of the keep. You are indoors still. Map with rough locations:

Helm regain 1d8 hps if you allow the woman to apply the salve.

EltaninDraco
2014-12-11, 10:08 AM
Devlin

Hearing his own words quoted back to the others made the bard smile, and he nodded along with the dwarf as he watched his companions, gauging their reactions, though he didn't think most of them had even been paying attention to his tale, the cretins.

When the Dwarf answered Evan's question, however, Devlin couldn't help but to jump in: "A device you say?" he asked, unable to hide his interest as he moved over to the doorway and peered in the direction of the gesture to see exactly what they had to work with. "Hmmm looks like a catapult..." he said, mostly to himself, standing up on tiptoe as if the extra inch or two would make a difference. "Though it looks a bit different from the ones I've seen before..." Then just as he was about to scurry out to study it more closely, common sense slammed down on gnomish curiosity and with a glance towards the ominous figure in the skies he changed his step forward into a quick turn, ending up leaning against the door frame instead.

From his new position Devlin addressed the castellan, acting for all the world like he'd intended to stop there: "Well Escobert, I'd be more than happy to say a few words to the troops, see if we can't remind them what they're fighting for. I may also be able to work that fancy device you have out there - I think I've got an idea what Evan here is thinking..." He shot Evan a wicked grin, adding to him: "though I may need some help with it?"

Getting confirmation, Devlin turned to address the other two "Isilme, Darigaaz, if we could get that flying lizard down on the ground, you think you could put your exquisite skills to use?"

Cristov
2014-12-12, 04:49 PM
Evendur

Evan steps back from the barrels and puts his hands together "You have all that help you need from me, and hopefully by the time that thing is on the ground their job will be mostly done for them" He says with easily the widest grin possible given the situation "And if this does work, I expect that your men have a change of heart" He finishes as he turns to the dwarf.

as he rejoins the group he regains his rigid demeanor "So we won't have a ton of chances at this, but if we can pull this off we may just need a little better descriptions for your next story Devlin. What we'll need is to load that catapult with one of those barrels with the flammable materials, wait for the dragon to get close enough, launch the barrel, hit the dragon hard enough that the barrel breaks, and then light the contents that are on the dragon." He lays out his plan mainly for the benefit of Darigaaz and Isilme, as well as Escobert.

KoalaOtter
2014-12-13, 09:06 AM
Isilme

Isilme was barely listening to the conversation around her. Leosin hadn't made it to the keep? On purpose? Was he in danger? Should I go look for him?

The--nurse?--who came out of nowhere and took Helm away distracted her momentarily. She wasn't sure how she felt about this. Helm was nice to her and a good fighter as well. Although he had managed to get wounded.... Well, maybe it was by luck on the lizard-folk's part. At least there was still Darigaaz, remarkably silent through the whole thing which she could certainly appreciate.

Devlin managed to get her attention when he said her name, and she stood a little straighter, if that were possible, at the mention of her skills. Of course I could. She opened her mouth to speak when Evandur started speaking. She was getting used to him, and her initial violent reaction had eased into a mere tension and suspicion. He was so bossy though...she missed being on her own. Which brought her full cicle--where is Leosin? and why isn't he here?

She looked towards the sky. She agreed that taking out the dragon was a good first step. She would have a hard time seeking out Leosin with all the kobolds AND a dragon around.

RadarD
2014-12-13, 12:20 PM
Just as Evan finishes laying out his plan the noise of soldiers on the walls picks up and the shape of the dragon comes into view. The creature sweeps along the wall about 30 ft out, coming from the northeast and flying along the southeast section of the wall next to the tower. About halfway along the wall it unleashes a blast of lightning, soldiers duck behind wall sections and it appears only one man is injured in the attack. The dragon turns to the southwest and leaves your sight from within the tower. Escobert begins giving orders to nearby soldiers to stop cowering and return fire. It seems you are free to do what you please.

The ruckus can be heard down in the infirmary as well where the womans mood darkens for a moment.
"Sounds like the Dragon is still paying us visits." she says
She quickly remembers her charge and with a smile adds
"How are you feeling?"

Those of you watching the dragon can make a perception check to make note of the dragons flight path, could come in handy later ;)
You can ask Escobert more questions or start taking actions however you please.
Balls in your court. :)
Also map

Cristov
2014-12-17, 05:35 PM
Evendur

Evan puts his hands together rubbing them a bit "Okay the goal is to hit that thing on the next pass, Devlin I'm leaving the launching up to you, I'll help where you need me to, Isilme and Darigaaz we'll need some help loading a barrel."He turns to the Dwarf and his men "All that I need from you and your men is to light a few arrows and shoot them at the dragon once that barrel breaks, You don't have to be perfect, just get the lit arrows to come in contact with the oil and we'll be all set" He figured with this being his plan he should make sure everyone had a role to play, and everyone was prepared to execute it.

"If this works half as well as I'm hoping it does we'll be rid of that cursed winged beast with relative ease."

Patrick?
2014-12-17, 10:39 PM
Helm:

"Better. I feel better. What is that stuff?"

Helm pauses for a moment, and then continues.

"Do you have any more doctoring to do, or am I free to go? If I know my comrades, I reckon they're hiding in the cellar right about now. I should probably go round them up. Maybe we can do something about that dragon."

Emboldened somewhat by the reduced pain in his side, and the scant flirtations that made it through even his thick skull, Helm adds a little more,

"I reckon I'm going to die tonight - but just in case I don't ... Maybe you'll patch together what's left of me, eh?"

With that, he hops off his table and goes to find the others - he's not in any particular rush, he figures the dragon has been assaulting the keep for some time, and it doesn't seem any worse for wear - plus, what are the odds that his friends are actually about to hurl a flaming barrel at a full grown dragon with a homebuild catapult?

RadarD
2014-12-18, 03:30 AM
"Aye" says the dwarf in response to Evans suggestion then ordering his men to prepare fire arrows.
"Ill come out with you and make sure my men do their duty." he adds wrapping a cloth around the head of a spear and dipping it in a barrel of oil.
He prepares to move out and follow the groups lead.

"I do hope you come back, perhaps ill show you how good that medicine can really be next time." the woman says to Helm winking and letting her hand slide across his abdomen one last time before he gets up.
"Escobert probably took your companions up the tower, ill wait here for any men they send down from the last Dragon pass." she adds as he moves towards the door.

Helm climbs the stairs in the tower and reaches the second level just in time to see Darigaaz and Isilme picking up a barrel labeled "flammable" and everyone looking ready to move quickly out on to the wall.

Continue with your plan. Choose one person to make the checks
Intelligence to aim the catapult with an extra +4 from good perception. :)
Intelligence to set the power of the catapult.
Dexterity to fire it at the correct time.
Whoever makes the check has advantage if at least one other person helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Patrick?
2015-01-05, 01:59 PM
Helm:

Helm's eyes flicker from the explosives to his comrades and back. He grimaces and nods, surveying the surroundings for something...

Helm, deducing what the explosive barrel is going to be used for, wants to prepare a fire-arrow to shoot at it when it reaches the dagron. Is there any pitch and a light around? If not, there must be a torch. Perhaps Helm could scrape enough pitch onto his arrow to hold a flame? Will an arrow be able to punch fire through the side of the wooden crate? Or will Helm need to time his shot to hit home at the exact moment that the crate strikes the dragon and breaks open?

KoalaOtter
2015-01-15, 08:36 AM
Isilme

Motivated by her desire to find Leosin, Isilme doesn't hesitate in helping Darigaaz load a large barrel.

Cristov
2015-01-15, 07:04 PM
Evandur

Upon hearing the dwarf's assurance, Evan gives a final look around the room noticing Helm. He waits for the barrel to be loaded, and for Devlin to get in position. They might only get the once shot at this, and he was determined to make it count. "Remember, don't fire until you see the barrel make contact, it might also make sense to weaken the barrel a bit just before we launch it, so we can be sure if it hits it breaks" As he speaks he looks out onto the wall "Time to bring that flying beast down"

RadarD
2015-01-16, 07:45 AM
As the group reaches the device and begins loading the barrel anyone scanning the sky can see the form of the dragon growing larger in the faint light of the moon.

It seems to be following the same path as before and will be at the wall any minute!

Cristov
2015-01-16, 02:33 PM
Evendur

Evan gives a quick look over everything waiting for Devlin to be ready before helping to line up the shot

SO yeah, aiding Devlin on the stuff to ensure highest possibility of success

EltaninDraco
2015-01-17, 02:30 PM
Devlin's eyes lit up as he got closer to the launching device, his fascination with technical things adding an extra spring to his step. Crawling all over the thing, he was lost for a few moments in the fun of a new technical puzzle, muttering to himself as he worked out how the thing worked, how much power it would have, and tossing a few stray comments on how it could be improved. The sound of the barrel being loaded jolted the gnome out of his study as he realized his companions were ready to put the thing to use, and a glance up showed that the dragon was getting close enough to put their plan into action.

"Alright Evan, I think I know how this contraption will work." And a few quick gestures and explanations later he was ready. Raising his voice, Devlin addressed the other men on the walls, hoping to give them at least a little inspiration: "Archers, ready any fire arrows you have! When the barrel hits, shoot for all you're worth! We will ignite this beast, and send it smoking back to whatever hole it crawled out of! You have the chance to swat this menace out of the sky, take it, and then take back your home!"

Inspirational Speech!
[roll0]

For the Launch!
Dave, you said I could have my +2 for proficiency cuz gnome and technical things for some of these? I'm not adding it in, but feel free to apply generously :P Also, I'm rolling with advantage, because of assistance.

There is the Int check to aim:
[roll1], [roll2]
A separate Int check to set the power:
[roll3], [roll4]
And a Dex check for the actual firing:
[roll5], [roll6]

RadarD
2015-01-18, 02:57 PM
As Isilme and Darigaaz load the barrel Devlin addresses the troops. Helm and the soldiers on the wall ready their bows, fire arrows notched. As the dragon swoops along the wall many of the soldiers loose their nerve. Some fire immediately, others cower behind the wall, even more cower as the dragon unleashes lightning along the wall.

Meanwhile Devlin turns the cranks to position the catapult while directing Evan to set the power near max. As the dragon approaches Devlin stands up, making one last mental calculation and then pulls the firing lever. The barrel flies in a perfect intercepting path for the dragon. It appears the power may have been a little too high when the dragons wing clips the barrel cracking it and spraying out some of the flammable liquid.

Devlin and Evan are busy firing the catapult but if anyone else wants to do something, shoot fire arrows, flex, shout, whatever, now is your chance.
Ill give people some time to do things simultaneous to the barrel launching before finishing the sequence. :)

Patrick?
2015-01-18, 04:56 PM
Helm:

Helm's eyes narrow as the dragon makes its circling path - bowstring drawn taut to his ear, trying to keep the flaming arrow from blinding him.

Around him, he is only vaguely aware of the panic brewing in the soldier-archers. He dismisses any attempt to lead them with words, figuring it could only hurt his own odds of landing his shot - instead he decides to lead them by example instead.

As the dragon drew near, a few arrows launched prematurely. Other soldiers dove behind the parapets, abandoning their weapons, taking cover from the approaching doom. Helm stands firm. He strains his ears for Devlin's call and is only vaguely surprised to find that it is completely drowned out by the awesome sound the catapult itself makes. Helm looses his arrow...

[roll0]

RadarD
2015-01-25, 09:12 AM
Helms arrow flies after the barrel and strikes it solidly despite its twirling motion from grazing the dragon. First the stream of liquid catches fire and the barrel appears to spew fire around the dragons wings. As the dragon dives to escape the flames the barrel itself explodes covering the rear of the dragon in flames and severely disrupting its flight.
As the blazing light of the fireball fades the dragon can be seen landing awkwardly below the keeps walls, the entire rear end of the dragon still wreathed in fire. Just after landing the wings tuck in and the dragon crouches to roll.

You have some time to react to the landing dragon. Let me know if you have any questions.

Patrick?
2015-01-26, 10:55 PM
Helm:

Squinting, and nearly blinded by the fire arrow, Helm watches his arrow streak towards the incoming dragon. Each moment stretching out as the arrow drew narrow to their foe, his hope rising, his odds of success growing... Even with the distance, even with his focus on events, the ferocity of the ensuing fireball catches Helm off-guard. Instinctively he flinches, and moves to duck behind the nearest parapet, before he recovers himself to cheer as loudly as possible. He turns to the nearest archer to him, clapping him soundly on the shoulder and yelling, "That was a hell of a shot, soldier! Keep it up!", he takes a deep breathe, turns to the rest of the forces, and bellows as loud as he can, "All right, we've proven that we can hurt it! Now let him have it!!"

Helm nocks another arrow, pulls deep and let's it fly towards the dagron.

[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]

Cristov
2015-01-27, 02:50 PM
Evendur

As the barrel was fired Evan crossed his fingers, hoping they had managed everything just right, and as he saw the soldiers failing to cowardice he sees Helm's shot find its mark and set the dragon's back end ablaze. "Hot damn it worked, Now that its on the ground its far easier to handle." He turns to Helm "At least we had one reliable marksman with us". While the plan hadn't turned out perfectly, it was still a win as far as he was concerned and as he looked over the wall, he couldn't help but think to himself One is a start at least.

RadarD
2015-01-28, 05:36 PM
As the dragon begins to roll extinguishing the flames on its hindquarters Helms arrow bounces harmlessly off the thick hide. Meanwhile emboldened by the falling dragon many of the soldiers pick up their bows and begin firing arrows down at the beast.

RadarD
2015-01-31, 08:57 AM
The arrows of the guards bounce off the dragons hide as it rolls to extinguish the flames. Once extinguished it makes two powerful bounds and begins to ascend using its mostly unharmed powerful wings.

Patrick?
2015-02-03, 09:40 PM
Almost mechanically, Helm looses another arrow from his quiver, nocks it the the string and lets fly. He doesn't waste time following it to see if it will any vital part of the beast.

He turns to his companions and yells, "Evan! Are we loading that thing up for another shot? I'm not so sure your trick will work twice."

attack roll:[roll0]
damage roll: [roll1]
move to a more sheltered/less fireball-formation-y location

RadarD
2015-02-04, 10:55 AM
Helms arrow bounces off the dragons thick hide again and then the dragon vanishes behind the wall.
A few seconds later the beast can be seen swooping high overhead aiming for the southern part of town.

For those who continue to watch the dragon it can be seen swooping low near the south entrance to town then rising again, its path changing to a northeastern course. As the beast crosses the moon the shape of what appears to be a wagon can be seen dangling below the dragons form.

As the dragon fades into the dark night Escobert joins the party on the wall peering into the darkness.

Everyone is peering into the night to see if the dragon will return.
Escobert is standing with the group next to the catapult if you would like to speak with him.

Cristov
2015-02-04, 12:16 PM
Evendur

As the dragon manages to extinguish the flames and rises, Evan curses under his breath Hit too far back. He turns hearing Helm's voice he turns "Well we only brought the one barrel out". He turns watching the dragon as it takes off "though from the look of it we probably only needed it to work the one time."

He sits with his back against one of the parapets, taking a few breaths to relax himself, "Guess if that thing isn't coming back we're going to need to make sure the town is safe, and cleared of any more of those Kobolds." He glances towards the dwarf and his men "I'm guessing we're going to have to take care of that as well"

So I'm figuring the dragon is taken care of, and not entirely convinced that the town guard would be reliable enough to fully clear the town on their own.

EltaninDraco
2015-02-06, 12:09 AM
Devlin

When the catapult launched, Devlin cursed under his breath as he watch the trajectory that was obviously not what he'd hoped for. That the barrel had hit at all was a mercy, and he thanked whatever gods were listening that there was any fire on the beast at all. When the dragon hit the ground the gnome looked around, trying to figure out if there was anything they could do to harass the creature more, even though he knew there was no way they'd get the contraption turned around in time.

As the dragon shook off the effect of fire and arrows and launched back into the sky, Devlin watched it with a wary eye. Good riddance, he thought to himself as the beast appeared to fly away, though he wasn't sure he liked that trajectory.

Glancing up at Evan, the bard chimed in "This town certainly needs to be cleared of the trouble makers, and those fires need to be taken care of... but I don't think we can take care of all of it ourselves." A pause and Devlin turned toward the Dwarf: "Escobert, you know your town and your men. With that flying menace out of the picture, where could we be of the most help?"

Perception - do we know that wagon?! [roll0]

RadarD
2015-02-07, 08:23 PM
Escobert sighs as the Dragon disappears from view. Wiping his brow he turns to address the party.
"Well aimed!" he applauds patting Devlin on the back.

"We are much better off with that beast gone but you are right there is still much to do. Those who didn't come directly to the keep probably headed ..."

His sentence is interrupted by shouts from below.
"They are inside! Enemies in the fort!"

Escobert quickly moves to look into the courtyard.
"Blast they must have gotten through the sallyport while we were dealing with the dragon!
My men will handle those already in the keep. I need you to make sure no more get in!"
Then he is moving towards the stairs.

KoalaOtter
2015-02-08, 12:28 PM
Isilme

Isilme watched the events with the dragon unfold with some impatience. She wasn't an archer and was antsy just standing by. Devlin also seemed frustrated, although she didn't know why at first; the barrel hit and Helm made a nice shot, lighting said barrel on fire. Then as Isilme watched the dragon extinguish the flames as if they were a mere annoyance, she understood. Not ideal, she thought as her body tensed, waiting for the dragon to come soaring back towards them. Fortunately the dragon didn't seem to be coming back. She watched the dragon carefully, suspicious that the beast wasn't retaliating. As it disappeared into the moonlight, she narrowed her eyes, straining to see. Then her eyes widened.

She gestured towards the dragon and caught Darigaaz's eye, as everyone else was running their mouth. As she took a breath to speak, louder voices called out from below. The keep had been invaded. Are you kidding me?!? she thought. This place is the literal worst. She rolled her eyes and readied her staff, hurrying towards the sallyport. Oh, his men will take care of the ones already in the keep? Really? Like they took care of the dragon?

Patrick?
2015-02-12, 10:44 AM
Helm:

Helm peers cautiously out from behind the parapet he had taken cover behind- still stunned and relieved that the dragon would give up while it was behind, rather than extract brutal, nasty revenge for the indignity they had just caused it.

The news that not only was the cult continuing its attack, but that it had breached the keep's walls was having a sobering effect on Helm. The wound he had taken from the Kobold earlier hung heavy on his mind, and the healer had done remarkably little to relieve the pain.

Still, complaining about it wouldn't save himself or anyone else - and there were more innocent lives on the line that ever... Helm squared his shoulders as moved to follow Escobert, and spoke up - trying to project more confidence into his voice than he really felt.

"I'll do my best to help, Escobert. Darry? Devvy? Evvy? Isilme? Are you up for some more daring heroics?"

Cristov
2015-02-12, 11:46 PM
Evendur

Evan had no sooner relaxed before hearing the news of enemies in the keep. "Well tonight keeps getting better and better" he manages before gathering his things again "I don't suppose you have a suggestion how to get out of the keep without opening more doors for them to get back in through?" His question directed at Escobert before hearing helm refer to him as evvy...He certainly has nerve"Well I'm not going to let you get into trouble all by yourself again", He let out a bit of a laugh before he gets up near Helm "Hopefully this time we both walk away from any fighting unharmed."

RadarD
2015-02-13, 02:11 PM
It seemed Isilme was one step ahead of Helm as she was moving towards the stairs down to the sallyport even before he made his query. Seeing 3 of their member moving Darry and Devvy followed suit and soon they were all making their way to the stairs.

In a pause of yelling orders to the guards on the wall Escobert addresses Even. "No need to go outside the walls lad, I need you to regain control of the sallyport and make sure no one else gets in."
With that he moves down the wall shouting more orders to guards to turn and fire on the intruders.

Will make the map now and a new post tomorrow to introduce the sallyport skirmish. If you have any questions or things you want to do before going down the stairs now is your chance.

RadarD
2015-02-15, 01:03 PM
The sounds of many skirmishes can be heard as the group reaches the bottom of the stairs. As they move through the courtyard the red orange light of the many torches glints off the armor of the guards and invaders alike as they are locked in combat.

Straight ahead is the small ready room of the sallyport, the door is slightly ajar but from their distance nothing can be seen within. Escobert can be hard yelling orders from the wall. "Retake that room! Make sure no more get inside!" he shouts pointing at the wooden structure ahead of you.

Here is the map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au98T2IPvuNYdDJVQmdfWnJBU0NRd1l6aDZMNXVfZ 2c&usp=sharing#gid=0).
Unless you engage in one of the skirmishes in the courtyard you do not need initiative yet.

Patrick?
2015-02-20, 08:00 PM
Helm:

"I think we should do this quick. We have an important job in this furball, and I figure we can't endanger our success by drawing any extra attention to ourselves..."

Helm's eyes flicker quickly over the battlefield that surround them, looking for any groups of guards that seem to be getting overwhelmed by the tide of kobolds and their humanoid allies...

"So I guess I suggest that we just make a fast and hard assault, and finish this up as quickly as possible. Thoughts?"

Cristov
2015-02-21, 01:19 PM
Evendur

"Well job is a job right?" Evan responds as he makes sure nothing got too close to the group, if anything did he was certainly on alert enough to try and ignite any enemy that did try to approach. "pretty sure there is only one real option here, go in and secure that door, not a lot of area for subtlety"

KoalaOtter
2015-02-23, 03:04 PM
Isilme

Isilme kept a roving eye on the combat around her as she made for the sallyport. When she heard the men commenting on what was to be done, she paused, surprised. I agree with the sorcerer. The thought caused her some anxiety. What is happening??

Momentarily conflicted, she finally shrugged and nodded. "The door has to be first," she said, and continued moving forward.

RadarD
2015-02-24, 01:19 PM
As the adventurers move through the chaos of the battle they can see that the guards are holding their own against the kobold and cultist invaders. It doesn't take long to close the short distance across the courtyard and already a couple kobolds can be seen lying senesless at the feet of the guards.

The door to the sally port is only cracked open slightly so the adventurers cannot see into the room they have been sent to reclaim. The building is a simple wooden structure with no other openings visible except the one door.

KoalaOtter
2015-02-25, 11:10 AM
Isilme

Isilme tries to drown out the ruckus of the fighting around her and focus on the room ahead. She wished she could focus her ears like she could her eyes. It was getting a little better though, her meditation practice was helping.

Isilme approaches the door cautiously, trying not to come too close at first; she'd rather the door not smack her in the face if someone came rushing through.

Rolled a 7 in OOC. *Sigh*

Patrick?
2015-02-25, 11:38 AM
Helm:

Helm watches with approval as Isilme glides towards the door. He nocks an arrow, and half-draws the string, preparing himself to let fly at anything that might move to endanger his brave friend.

Ready an action to shoot at the first thing that comes out of that room. Move to O-15 to get the angle right.

RadarD
2015-02-25, 03:26 PM
Isilme moves next to the door which would open out into the courtyard if pulled open. With only a small opening she is only able to see that there is movement inside and hear the distinct draconic chatter of kobolds. Without opening the door more she can not tell how many are in the room.

Meanwhile the battle rages around them in the courtyard as Helm draws his bow back and readies a shot towards the door.

KoalaOtter
2015-02-27, 10:11 AM
Isilme

Try as she might, Isilme can't nail down how many kobolds were in the room. Her best guess is more than one, which she realizes isn't terribly helpful. For that matter, since she couldn't really see much, there could be others inside as well.

Hmm...how are kobolds at hearing? She didn't know.

She looks back at the others and jerks her head towards the door. Then she does her best kobold impression: angry face with monster hands. She reaches her toe toward the edge of the door and holds her palms close to each other (open the door a little), then spreads them wider (or open the door a lot) and shrugs, looking at the others questioningly.

Cristov
2015-03-03, 02:13 PM
Evendur

Watching Isilme, Evan pulls his staff down and gives a bit of a shrug "we either go charging in or we go charging in, not sure there is another option right now" He mutters to himself before taking a couple steps towards the door, "I can torch it if you really want, but not sure starting a fire is the best plan"

It didn't seem like there were many more options to them other than opening that door and finding out what was on the other side.

KoalaOtter
2015-03-05, 10:19 AM
Isilme

Isilme tenses at the mention of fire and eyes the sorcerer suspiciously. She can't tell if he is serious. He didn't seem to be making magic hands, so she turns her attention back to the door and raises her staff above her head. She holds out her opposite fist and counts to three with her fingers.

As she counts three, she kicks the door open, hard, and returns her extended fist to her staff, ready to bring it down on any enemy that should emerge. She still stands to the side, narrowing the enemy's ability to see her, and also keeping out of the way of Helm's arrows.

I'm sure anyone could interrupt Isilme while she counts up fingers, if we don't like the idea of swinging open the door and attacking. I can edit the second part of this post if that's the case.

RadarD
2015-03-06, 10:14 AM
Preparing for the door to be thrown open Devlin backs away from the opening and Darigaaz moves to flank the entrance.
When the door flies open a group of kobolds with a lizard the size of a large dog can easily be seen in the room. Even as they turn to see the now opened door Helms arrow flies into the room towards the kobold on the back wall.
"jimva batobot fueryon shafaer astahi" screams a mans voice from further in the sallyport.

Initiative time
Kobolds
lizard dog [roll1d20+2
acolyte [roll1]

Ill set the groups once you all roll initiative but if you beat all the rolls seen here feel free to take your action.

Helms readied action
Attack: [roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

RadarD
2015-03-06, 10:16 AM
Helms arrow strikes the kobold square in the chest pinning him to the back wall of the room. He dangles there as the rest of the kobolds shout at each other and the lizard dog.

updated map
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au98T2IPvuNYdDJVQmdfWnJBU0NRd1l6aDZMNXVfZ 2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

EltaninDraco
2015-03-09, 08:25 PM
Devlin

With little else to do, Devlin takes in his opponents a moment, then draws his bow and lets fly at the next kobold to put itself in the gnome's line of sight. Arrow delivered, he then steps back to be behind his armored friend, hoping to not encounter any of these creatures up close.

Attack on whichever kobold Devlin can see best, or delay until one of them is out far enough to not have cover any more, then attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1] piercing.
Monster Knowledge (assuming nature (+2)): [roll2] to see how to make the lizard not attack us, or possibly attack them, or something/anything about it.

RadarD
2015-03-13, 04:18 PM
Devlins arrow finds a home in the eye of a kobold further into the room and as he slumps to the ground the other kobolds urge the lizardog forward. As the beast lumbers out of the building Devlin assesses that it is an ambush drake, a large lizard often trained by kobolds much like other races train dogs. Convincing it to turn on its masters would be a daunting task in the midst of battle.
Even as it exits the building Isilme's staff comes swinging towards the creature.

Staff attack [roll0]
Staff damage [roll1]

In retaliation for the assault the Lizog summarily snaps its razor sharp teeth at Isilme.

Bite attack [roll2]
bite damage [roll3]

Isilme, Helm and Evan turn

RadarD
2015-03-13, 04:39 PM
Isilme

Isilme had prepared for a kobold to exit the sallyport, but instead it was some weird lizard-dog monster. She was in the middle of bringing her quarterstaff down before she realized, and it was too late to make the necessary correction.

The lizog easily dodges her blow, and Isilme's quarterstaff leaves a harmless crater in the dirt.

The lizog quickly turns to Isilme and lunges at her face, teeth bared. Isilme turns away and raises an arm to try to protect herself, but sharp teeth sink into her shoulder and upper arm. Isilme kicks as hard as she can at the lizog and follows up with another swing with the quarterstaff, screaming at the effort.

So much ouchies! Doggie trying to nom my face!

Kick
Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Staff
Attack - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

KoalaOtter
2015-03-13, 05:11 PM
The wound on isilmes shoulder is grievous and though the kick hits the lizog the creature hardly notices the blow. Meanwhile her staff swings wide once again, the attack thrown off by the horrendous wound.

Still helm and evans turn

Patrick?
2015-03-14, 02:08 PM
Helm:

Rage wells up in Helm as he sees the ferocious beast leap upon Isilme. Silently, Helm nocks another arrow and lets fly when it presents its flank to him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

KoalaOtter
2015-03-14, 03:36 PM
Helms arrow bounces harmlessly off the thick hide of the ferocios lizard. The creature doesn't even react as Isilme's blood drips from its gaping maw.

Evans turn.

Cristov
2015-03-14, 03:55 PM
Evendur

As the creature rushes past and clips Isilme, Evan gives a quick glance behind him Well that thing is definately too close for me to feel comfortable, He quickly pulls one of the daggers at his hip, giving it a quick flip before instead carefully backing away from the lizard thing and putting the dagger away.

So not making an attack, disengaging from melee and moving away from the lizard thing to be more useful.

RadarD
2015-03-14, 04:50 PM
As Evan flees from the large lizard creature the kobolds and their cultist leader move into action. After seeing two of their companions dispatched by arrows the Kobolds resort to hit and run tactics. The heroes only see the kobolds for a moment as they move to the doorway just long enough to throw sharp stones before retreating out of sight. The kobolds target the most obvious archer to avenge their fallen brethren while the cultist targets the intimidating dragonborn with a blast of fire.

Kobolds move to door and sling stones at helm.
Attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
damage: [roll3]

Darigaaz needs to make dex save of 12 or take
[roll4] radiant damage

Devlin and Darigaaz turn

EltaninDraco
2015-03-16, 03:23 PM
Devlin

The gnome cringed when he saw the drake take a bite out of the monk, and again when the stones flew at his friend. Damn, two in trouble, and not enough time to help them both he thought to himself. Dropping his bow to hang on his arm, Devlin pulled out his fife and made a quick decision, playing a melody that spoke of calm water and gentle sun. The notes harmonized around Isilme, invoking a brief moment of peace he hoped would give her strength against the beast. But that beast was still a problem. Taking a step back to keep Darigaaz between them, the bard shifted the tune and sent harsh notes towards the drake, the twisting melody designed to distract and annoy.

Healing word: Isilme heals for [roll0] hp
Vicious Mockery: Lizog makes a wisdom save DC12. Fail: [roll1] psychic damage and he has disadvantage on his next attack.
Move: 13M

RadarD
2015-03-18, 09:55 AM
Isilme feels a surge of energy as the music knits her wound closed and her shoulder feels almost as good as new.
Meanwhile the creature recoils in pain from the horrific noise assaulting its mind. The pain is clearly distracting the creature causing its tail to flail wildly and its head to shake spastically back and forth.

Failed save Lizog take 2 damage and has disadvantage on next attack.
map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au98T2IPvuNYdDJVQmdfWnJBU0NRd1l6aDZMNXVfZ 2c&usp=sharing#gid=0)

Darigaaz turn

RadarD
2015-03-18, 10:41 AM
Darigaaz hefts his sword at the squirming Lizard creature, unfortunately the erratic movement of the Lizog causes his attack to strike the ground harmlessly.

RadarD
2015-03-18, 10:52 AM
In the wild flailings of the the Lizog its jaws snap around Darigaaz's outstretched arm, the razor teeth piercing a vulnerable part of his armor. Blood drips from the wound and the taste of it brings the Lizog back to its senses. It stares hungrily at the rest of the group almost taunting them.

Lizog hits Darigaaz for 6 damage

Isilme, Evan and Helm turn

Patrick?
2015-03-18, 09:29 PM
Helm:

Unable to get a clear shot while being pelted by rocks, Helm retreats from the onslaught. After running a few paces, Helm plants his foot, spins, drops to a knee and fires off another arrow at the horrible, clickity-clackity lizog.

[roll0]
[roll1]
move to position U18

KoalaOtter
2015-03-19, 09:22 AM
Isilme

Having come back from the brink of death thanks to the gnome's magic music, Isilme makes a split second decision, fueled by a glimpse of Darigaaz on the other side of the lizog. In the chaos of being attacked, she can't really tell what is happening beyond the few feet around her, but she doubts escaping the beast is a real option.

As the lizog turns and bites into Darigaaz's arm before he can pull his sword back, anger flashes red across the back of her eyes. She swing her staff towards the back of the lizog's head, throwing a plea to the universe for her shoulder to hold steady, and quickly follows up with a kick to the monster's underbelly, hoping to find a weak spot.

Ok, fingers crossed...c'mon nice, pretty imaginary dice:

Quarterstaff:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Unarmed
Damage: [roll3]

Cristov
2015-03-19, 11:48 AM
Evendur

Evan surveys the current damage and reaches into the small pouch on his hip pulling out a pretty decent sized diamond. He takes a deep breath Hopefully this works. He whispers to himself before pulling back and throwing it at the lizog. As the diamond flys towards the target it seems to glow a translucent blue and occupying about the size of a man's fist.

Using spell slot level 1 to cast Chromatic Orb

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1] cold damage

RadarD
2015-03-19, 01:19 PM
Helms arrow misses the Lizog and as fate would have it strikes Isilme's staff, jolting it violently off course and causing it to miss its target. Despite the disruption of her primary attack Isilme's foot hits the Lizog with a great force causing the creature to cry out in pain. Perhaps as a kind of karma it was that exact moment the icy sphere that Evan had thrown reached the creature and shot right down its throat. The creature had only a moment of surprise before its body froze solid in place, a lifeless glaze replacing the ferocity in its eyes.

Even as the Lizog breathed its last more stones came flying from the room behind it as the Kobolds threw more stones out at the adventurers before retreating back into the room. No sooner do the Kobolds disappear from sight then the door mysteriously slams closed blocking the adventurers view of the inside.

Kobold sling attack on Darigaaz
[roll0]
damage [roll1]

kobold sling attack vs Isilme
[roll2]
damage [roll3]

Door is now closed.

Devlin and Darigaaz turn (if Darigaaz is still standing)

Patrick?
2015-03-19, 02:33 PM
Darry the Dragarion:

Darigaaz wrenches his swordhand free the lizog's crunching maw, ignoring the pain and swivels his head toward the kobolds in the door. As he does so, there's a flash of movement, and then darkness.

The rock causes the his helmet to ring brightly as the big Dragonborn tumbles backwards - knocked soundly unconscious by the Kobold's last strike.

EltaninDraco
2015-03-21, 04:10 PM
Devlin

Devlin ducked behind his armored companion when the rocks came flying, but when the dragonborn stumbled and fell the gnome was so startled he barely got out of the way in time. Cursing the goblins under his breath he lifted his fife again, playing a variation on the tune he had played moments before, willing life into another friend. After he saw the Paladin open his eyes, Devlin turned his attention toward the door, a low angry melody coming from the fife, ready to take out his anger on the first hostile creature to open it again.

Healing word: Darigaaz heals [roll0] hp. That's all, folks. No more healing here.
Readied action: Vicious Mockery on any enemy to open that door and put himself in my line of sight. DC12 Wisdom save or take [roll1] psychic damage and disadvantage on next attack.

RadarD
2015-03-21, 08:14 PM
The music pulls Darigaaz back from unconsciousness but the sound of battle can still be heard raging around him as the guards continue to battle the intruders in the courtyard. The door to the building remains closed however and the group is no closer to gaining control of the sallyport.

Since Darry is back up and we are lax on the initiative order he can take his turn still if he likes. Remember its half your movement to stand up from prone.

Also the Lizog is dead so all the characters are now on the same initiative.

Helm, Isilme, Evan and Darry? turn

Cristov
2015-03-23, 06:15 PM
Evendur

With the Lizard frozen, and Darigaaz seemingly back on his feet, Evan moves back towards the rest of the group, "So we managed to get half of them down fairly quickly. Think we can manage another go at that door being open?" He asks casually "this time when it gets opened I'll be better prepared." With that he gives his staff a bit of a twirl, the end glowing a pale blue.

Readying action ray of frost at the first thing I see when that door opens.
[roll0] for the attack, [roll1] and target's speed is reduced by 10 feet. until the start of my next turn.

KoalaOtter
2015-03-25, 07:39 AM
Isilme

As she looks up, Darigaaz is struck in the head with a rock and falls. She moves to charge the offending kobold, and somehow misses the rock thrown her way until a sharp pain reappears at her shoulder. She looks to see her earlier wound essentially reopened. Isilme presses her opposite hand to the shoulder, using her shirt as best she can to help slow the bleeding.

Isilme is heartened to see Darigaaz get back on his feet and takes a breath when the sallyport door slams shut.

Ok, I guess we try again...

How am I still agreeing with the sorcerer?? She thinks as Evandur approaches them. The frozen monster at her feet was enough for her, though, and she quickly let it go.

Isilme looks around and sees her companions readying for the next round, and considers her wounds. She should be on door duty again, this time on the other side, using the door to shield herself from the sight of their enemies. Maybe she'd be able to sneak in an attack before they saw her.

Isilme moves to the sallyport door and waits for the go ahead from her companions.

Patrick?
2015-03-25, 10:35 PM
Helm:

Practice makes perfect, I suppose. And I dare say we're starting to practice working as a team ... Helm thinks to himself as he draws another arrow and lines up the door. The chaos of the battle in the courtyard rages around him, and he struggles to focus on making his shot, but he knows his duty. Retake the sallyport.

Ready an action to fire at an enemy in the doorway. Aiming for the cultist if given the chance.

Patrick?
2015-03-26, 05:46 PM
Darigaaz

Darigaaz shakes his head and stands in one surprisingly swift (given the weight of his armor and the severity of his wounds), powerful movement. He readies his blade, stepping up to the door and gives a nod to Isilme - prepared to dart through the door at a moment's notice.

move to k14, ready to charge as soon as Helm, Evan and Devlin have fired their shots.

KoalaOtter
2015-03-27, 07:53 AM
Isilme

With the final nod from Darigaaz, Isilme heaves open the sallyport door.

RadarD
2015-03-27, 08:25 AM
The door swings open easily revealing the remaining Kobolds and their leader standing in the back of the room. The kobolds look at the now open door but the cultists attention is towards the outside of the keep.

OOC: Complete your readied actions at will.

Patrick?
2015-03-27, 12:33 PM
Helm can't see anything to shoot. Holding readied action until his next turn (in case one of them runs out of the building). Edit: Darry still holding, waiting for anyone else's readied actions to go.

KoalaOtter
2015-03-30, 10:04 AM
Isilme

Isilme readies herself when opening the door for the inevitable flow of arrows and magic...and then relaxes slightly, surprised that nothing happened.

She cautiously peeks around the door, shielding her body as best she can, to look into the room. She quickly pulls her head back as she catches the kobolds' cold stares, but not so quickly that she didn't notice the cultist staring out into the town.

She doesn't know what the cultist is looking for, but she is certain it isn't good.

"They're waiting for something," she says. "I don't think we can wait."

Realizing that the archers and casters have no shot, with the cowards hanging out in the corner, she knows that it might be up to her and Darigaaz. She takes a breath, focuses her ki as best she can, and runs into the room.

Ignoring the pain in her shoulder, she jumps and swings her staff down at the kobold in front of her, while lashing out a flying kick to the kobold to his left. Having no more energy, she flees back out of the sallyport, hoping to at least draw their enemies closer to the door for her companions to finish them off.

First, I lost track of initiative order, so I'm happy to edit this if I jumped ahead of monsters or other persons

Secondly, here are my attacks:
Qstaff attack [roll0]
Qstaff damage [roll1]

Unarmed strike attack: [roll2]
Unarmed strike damage: [roll3]

Thirdly, I want to run away back to where I started, but if anything hits me I'll drop (which is super likely if I miss...)

Cristov
2015-03-30, 03:13 PM
Evendur

Waits a half second after the door opens before lowering his staff "Well that was a let down" He manages before seeing Isilme dart through the door That girl has a death wish apparently. He thinks to himself before taking a deep breath "this is going to end poorly I just know it" He says before slipping into the room behind the ambitious monk.

Just after slipping into the room he gives his staff a quick twirl before letting an icy blast towards the cultist.

Ray of frost from before (rolling is in previous post)
[21] for the attack, [8] and target's speed is reduced by 10 feet. until the start of my next turn.

Patrick?
2015-03-30, 09:08 PM
Darigaaz

"For Bahamat!" Darigaaz snarls, charging into the fray - already, sparks are starting to fly out of his mouth, as he runs, his sword held flatly at his side, making no effort to raise it up for a death blow - he screeches to a halt inches from the nearest Kobold, opens his mouth and BELLOWS into the direction of the cultist. THOOOOOM.

[roll0]

The two Kobolds and the Cultman are entitled to make a DC 11 dexterity save. On a failed save they take the Lightning damage.

They are entitled to halve it if they successfully save.

RadarD
2015-03-31, 07:20 AM
A staff swings, ice strikes, lightning consumes, the remaining foes did not stand a chance against the onslaught. Their broken charred bodies littered the floor but their enemies were not the only things broken. The outer door of the sallyport could be seen barely hanging on to the hinges, extremely damaged and most importantly a poor barrier in preventing any more enemies from entering. The sounds of battle from the courtyard had lessened but could still be heard.

You are out of initiative for now, if you engage in the courtyard you will be back in combat.