PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with fleshing out my Paladin (and a lore question or two)

AmbientRaven
2014-10-14, 05:37 PM
Hi Folks!

So in a campaign I am starting this weekend our Paladin swapped to a Wizard as he has never had the chance to play one.
So, lacking front liners I chose to play a paladin instead of a Bard (I have a bard in 2 other campaigns)

I am unsure how to build one though as I haven't played a paladin in about 13 years. So I have a few questions.

I have opted on a Tiefling.
It's 27pt buy with max buy stat being 16. ATM I have 16, 10, 13, 9(10), 10, 13(15) (Brackets indicates after racial bonus.

I am unsure if its better to go 2 Fighter/18 Paladin or just straight 20 paladin.
18/2 Allows gains me a few benefits
-This will allow me to take Duelist and Defence fighting styles.
-It opens up Action Surge, Second Wind
-I lose the 20th level ability, though doubt that we will get to 20.
-It slows down paladin class progression. I wouldn't be taking an Oath until 5th level.

For an oath I am selecting vengeance.

He is a Tiefling, a half demon. He grew up an urchin on the streets of Raven's Bluff. His Mother was a cultist, he was conceived during one of their dark rituals. When he was 3 his mother tried to raise another demon with her cult, the demon slew them all.

He hates cultists, demon worshipers and the Infernal. he has vowed a vengeance against the demon who sired him.

What FR deities would be most inclined to hunt down and slay Infernals?

Thanks for input!

Madfellow
2014-10-14, 06:44 PM
Man, I've been wanting to play a tiefling paladin for years! It's such a cool character concept! Sadly I haven't had the chance yet. I hope you have fun with it. :smallsmile:

First of all, I would advise going straight Paladin. I'm not sure if the Action Surge ability is worth multiclassing, since it slows down everything including your spellcasting, which is pretty slow already.

As for deity, I think Torm might be your best bet. He's the Lawful Good deity of courage and self-sacrifice. His followers are monster hunters, basically, from what I know.

Hope this helps.

AmbientRaven
2014-10-14, 06:52 PM
Man, I've been wanting to play a tiefling paladin for years! It's such a cool character concept! Sadly I haven't had the chance yet. I hope you have fun with it. :smallsmile:

First of all, I would advise going straight Paladin. I'm not sure if the Action Surge ability is worth multiclassing, since it slows down everything including your spellcasting, which is pretty slow already.

As for deity, I think Torm might be your best bet. He's the Lawful Good deity of courage and self-sacrifice. His followers are monster hunters, basically, from what I know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I think I shall go Straight paladin, though I selected Eilistraee as a deity.

heres why

Abbadon, the Silvered Blade, Warfiend of Eilistraee
The tale of Abbadon, the Silvered Blade, is a tale most sad. Born in the lands of The Vast, under the city of Ravens Bluff his childhood was one of hardships.
After the exile of his mother, for supposed murder, she retreated to the vast winding caverns beneath Ravens Bluff. There, in ancient text she found reference to Graz'zt, whom is only referred to as one with great power. She slowly built a cult in worship to Graz'zt, sacrificing many of the inhabitants of Ravens Bluff slums. At the culmination of one of the cults worship, she was impregnated with child.
As Abbadon was being birthed, an adventuring group investigating reports of a missing nobles daughter found the cult of Graz'zt. Disgusted by the sight of so many sacrificed individuals, they slew every one of the cultists. As they burst into the final alter room, they were greeted by a site that shocked them. The head cultist was dead, in her arms silently lay the baby Abbadon. Unable to kill a newborn themselves, but not wanting the hellspawn to live, they threw him into the sewers water, hoping he would drown, or be taken by the alligator that supposedly lived in the sewers.
But he did not die, instead he was found by a lonely old crone whom lived in the sewer tunnels. Blind as she was she took the child in her arms, not knowing of his obsidian skin, nor his violet eyes.
When he was just 3 years old, the crone passed away, her last gift to him was a small, battered silvered sword and moon pendant.
His next several years were spent in fear and loneliness. Hiding in the deepest part of the night, breaking into slum houses to steal what rotten food he could find to eat. His only companion, a small mouse he named Nibbles.
At the age of 8 he made the unfortunate mistake of breaking into the Dark Dancer, a temple to Eilistraee, a drow goddess. He was to be turned into the local authorities, for rumors of an obsidian skinned devil-kin had been floating around Ravens Bluff for several years. But fate had a different plan. Qilue Veladorn, a high priestess of Eilistraee, and rumoured leader of the church, happened to glance the demon-child. Seeing into his heart she knew that he had been brought here by her goddess. The fact that he wore an ancient amulet of Eilistraee, not seen by her priestess's for centuries reinforced her belief. But the childs burning anger could not be denied. He was sent to a secret abbey, where the militant arm of Eilistraee were trained. There he learned the ways of sword divine magics.
Now he stalks the lands of Faerun, spreading word of his goddess, reveling in her aspects of the hunt and swordsmanship. He has a burning hatred for all things infernal, hunting down demonic cults with a fiery vengeance, fueled by his self loathing hate of his darker side. It is rumoured that Qilue Veladorn herself trained him, and she has tasked him with finding one of the missing Singing Swords of Eilistraee.

Rummy
2014-10-14, 08:03 PM
Hmmmm.... I would say start fighter if you want to roleplay his conversion to a paladin. Go straight fighter if you want him to start his career a fully formed paladin.

Mechanically, starting fighter gives you two fighting styles and Con prof.... I'd say worth a one level dip in my book.

EvilAnagram
2014-10-14, 08:07 PM
I actually wrote a Paladin Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375696-Good-is-Not-Nice-A-Paladin-s-Guide). Most of what you asked is covered by that.

If you think you're going to hit level 20, go straight Paladin. If you think your group will peter out around level 14 or so, take the Fighter dip. Action Surge and Second Wind are worth it.

Torm: The Loyal Fury (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Torm) is a solid god for fiend-hating Paladins of vengeance. Tyr (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tyr) is possibly a better for the Oath of Vengeance, but depending on when it takes place in the Realms lore, he might be dead. Still, what's better for an Avenger than avenging your god?

AmbientRaven
2014-10-14, 10:59 PM
I'll read the guide now!

Thanks for the advise. I decided his Oath isn't about god's ideals, but his. An oath of vengeance against his infenral father, and all those whom share his kind.
I decided to have him born in Ravens Bluff, and, follow Eilistraee, for her good drow kind wouldn't turn away the obsidian skinned half demon.

Eslin
2014-10-15, 01:02 AM
Consider taking up to 4 levels of fighter along the way - paladin spellcasting is not good enough to worry too much about slowing down, though you want 6 levels of paladin first (the save aura is amazing). A third level in fighter gets you 3 maneuvers and 4 superiority dice - it's not that great for a full fighter since you only get 6 dice total over 20 levels, but 4 for 3 levels is a great deal. The ability to taunt enemies, give temporary hp to allies by shouting at them and trip whenever you hit with an attack is very very useful for a paladin.

Strill
2014-10-15, 01:49 AM
You could go Fighter 3, but keep in mind you're delaying Improved Divine Smite, as well as your third-level spell slots, which include Haste.