PDA

View Full Version : Sorcadin Feat help!

MesiDoomstalker
2014-10-14, 07:19 PM
Long story short I have no idea what feats to take on my Sorcadin. I'm going the standard Socradin route, Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Spellsword 1/ Sacred Exorcist 6, in that order. What I got so far down below.

Jungle Goblin Dragonborn
Stats (pre-racials)/Post Racials
Str (14)/12
Dex (10)/10
Con (14)/16
Int (12)/12
Wis (12)/12
Cha (16)/14

Level breakdown:
1: Paladin 1, Power Attack
Flaw: Combat Casting
Flaw: OPEN
2: Paladin 2
3: Sorcerer 1, OPEN
4: Sorcerer 2
5: Sorcerer 3
6: Sorcerer 4, OPEN
7: Sorcerer 5
8: Sorcerer 6
9: Abjurant Champion 1, OPEN
10: Abjurant Champion 2
11: Abjurant Champion 3
12: Abjurant Champion 4, OPEN
13: Abjurant Champion 5
14: Spellsword 1
15: Sacred Exorcist 1, OPEN
16: Sacred Exorcist 2
17: Sacred Exorcist 3
18: Sacred Exorcist 4, OPEN
19: Sacred Exorcist 5
20: Sacred Exorcist 6

Stats have been rolled and cannot be changed, and for fluff/character reasons, the Race won't change. I also not looking to do Persist Spell at all (been there, done that, trying something new). As you can see... I really don't know what to do with my feats. I do plan on taking a few Dragonblooded and Dragonborn sub-levels, specifically the Pally and Sorcerer ones. But I haven't decided specifically which yet. Also Spell suggestions. I've got a huge list of WANTS but they far exceed my Known (except at higher level).
Level 1:
Enlarge Person
Grease
Mage Armor
Shield
True Strike
Benign Transposition
Mighty Wallop
Nerveskitter
Level 2:
Glitterdust
Gust of Wind
Invisibility
Resist Energy
Rope Trick
Web
Heart of Air
Heroics
Wings of Air
Wings of Cover
Wraithstrike
Level 3:
Dispel Magic
Haste Can do
Greater Magic Weapon
Protection from Energy
Dimension Step
Dragonskin
Heart of Water
Greater Mage Armor
Mass Mage Armor
Greater Mighty Wallop
Level 4:
Dimension Door
Greater Invisibility
Stoneskin
Celerity
Heart of Earth
Greater Mirror Image
Mass Resist Energy Will Do
Greater Resistance
Translocation Trick
Level 5:
Teleport
Greater Blink
Contingent Energy Resistance
D-Door Greater
Enlarge Person Greater
Heart of Fire
Level 6:
Contingency
Greater Dispel Magic
Resistance Superior
Stone Body
Level 7:
Forcecage
Limited Wish
Plane Shift Will take
Summon Aspect of Bahaumut
Energy Immunity Will take
Greater Teleport
Level 8:
Mind Blank
Celerity, Greater
Superior Invisibilty
Greater Plane Shift
Level 9:
Shapechange
Time Stop
Wish
Reaving Dispel

I've never played a Sorcerer before, more or less a Gish so I'm rather at a loss of what to do with my limited Feats and Spells Known.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-14, 07:44 PM
Your levels are mixed up, you have two Sorcerer levels that can be turned into Sacred Exorcist levels if you put Spellsword before Abjurant Champion. Go Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8.

Probably take Nymph's Kiss for that second flaw, it gets a lot of mileage when taken at 1st level. Otherwise Mercantile Background is second to none for efficient feats, or Dreadful Wrath is another good alternative, but either will be difficult to get on a dragonborn goblin.
Get Ancestral Relic for a custom Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) at 3rd. You can put Dismissal on that and not even have to spend a spell known on it.
Practiced Spellcaster is fairly necessary.
Magical Training to be able to cast sanctified spells such as (Greater) Luminous Armor, though the preferred method would be putting those on your runestaff.
The Minor Shapeshift reserve feat to get temporary hp every round is pretty good.
Extend Spell is extremely useful, and Persistent Spell even more so. You can get Practical Metamagic to use it even earlier, though it would be preferable to go Illumian with the Naenhoon runeword to spend turn undead uses to persist a few spells.
Divine Might is pretty good if you're not spending that turn undead ability on anything else.
Combat Reflexes if you'll be (Draconic) Polymorphing into something big with reach.
Versatile Spellcaster to add versatility, especially considering your runestaff.

Troacctid
2014-10-14, 07:53 PM
I'm a fan of Minor Shapeshift on gishes. Temporary hit points equal to your HD that refresh every round. Pretty nice for survivability, and all you need to do is take polymorph as one of your spells known.

Bloodline feats (from Dragon Compendium) tend to be good choices on Sorcerers as getting a bunch of extra spells known is quite nice. Versatile Spellcaster is good as well.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-10-14, 08:21 PM
Your levels are mixed up, you have two Sorcerer levels that can be turned into Sacred Exorcist levels if you put Spellsword before Abjurant Champion. Go Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8.

Probably take Nymph's Kiss for that second flaw, it gets a lot of mileage when taken at 1st level. Otherwise Mercantile Background is second to none for efficient feats, or Dreadful Wrath is another good alternative, but either will be difficult to get on a dragonborn goblin.
Get Ancestral Relic for a custom Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) at 3rd. You can put Dismissal on that and not even have to spend a spell known on it.
Practiced Spellcaster is fairly necessary.
Magical Training to be able to cast sanctified spells such as (Greater) Luminous Armor, though the preferred method would be putting those on your runestaff.
The Minor Shapeshift reserve feat to get temporary hp every round is pretty good.
Extend Spell is extremely useful, and Persistent Spell even more so. You can get Practical Metamagic to use it even earlier, though it would be preferable to go Illumian with the Naenhoon runeword to spend turn undead uses to persist a few spells.
Divine Might is pretty good if you're not spending that turn undead ability on anything else.
Combat Reflexes if you'll be (Draconic) Polymorphing into something big with reach.
Versatile Spellcaster to add versatility, especially considering your runestaff.

I was going off memory on the build, your right. Good thing I'm starting at level 1 (or not, stupid Gishes coming on late). Overall, Extend is mainly for non-Abjurations (since Champ grants Extend on all Abjurations). Practiced Spellcaster I hardly get the full use out of it. I forgot to mention the DM is allowing (Greater) Mage's Armor to work with Abjurant Champino so Luminous Armor isn't necessary. Where can I find Nymph's Kiss, Mercantile Background (thought fluff wise this doesn't mesh) or Dreaful Wrath? I know for a fact Ancestral Relic is out of the question so no custom Runestaff.

I'm a fan of Minor Shapeshift on gishes. Temporary hit points equal to your HD that refresh every round. Pretty nice for survivability, and all you need to do is take polymorph as one of your spells known.

Bloodline feats (from Dragon Compendium) tend to be good choices on Sorcerers as getting a bunch of extra spells known is quite nice. Versatile Spellcaster is good as well.

Unfortunately, we are operating on "Only if you have the book" allowance and no one has Dragon Compendium's stashed anywhere.

Keld Denar
2014-10-14, 08:49 PM
Interesting....why did you go Pal1/Sorc6? Typically, the build is Pal2/Sorc4. Slightly less casting, but +cha to saves is nothing to sneeze at. Contrast with Superior Resistance, a 6th level spell that gives +6, which you'll have more than by level 6 or so.

I'd normally suggest Practiced Spellcaster, but you are only down 1 CL, so its not really a good use for a feat.

Law Devotion is a strong choice. You get Turn Undead from SacEx, but before then you can still use it 1/day. If you have a reach weapon, I highly suggest Cleave. If you position right, you can generally get 1 extra attack per round on most rounds. An alternative to that is Divine Might. Divine Might is a Divine Feat, so you get the extra TU attempt from a Reliquary Holy Symbol, which is nice, but I think that Law Devotion is stronger late game.

Other than that, you might want to look into some general utility feats. I like Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness. You'll have decent saves, better if you go Pal2, and getting out of a Daze effect at will is pretty strong, even if they don't have a save normally, like Blasphemy. You might consider a status effect style like Three Mountains from Complete Warrior. Its a lot of feats, true, but you have flaws. And its good. Alternatively, if you go with a Guisarme, you could take Combat Reflexes + Expertise + Imp Trip for a bit of control.

So basically, you have a lot of options. You have the staples locked down with Power Attack. Everything else is up to you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-14, 09:30 PM
I was going off memory on the build, your right. Good thing I'm starting at level 1 (or not, stupid Gishes coming on late). Overall, Extend is mainly for non-Abjurations (since Champ grants Extend on all Abjurations). Practiced Spellcaster I hardly get the full use out of it. I forgot to mention the DM is allowing (Greater) Mage's Armor to work with Abjurant Champino so Luminous Armor isn't necessary. Where can I find Nymph's Kiss, Mercantile Background (thought fluff wise this doesn't mesh) or Dreaful Wrath? I know for a fact Ancestral Relic is out of the question so no custom Runestaff.

Greater Mage Armor is 3rd level, whereas Luminous Armor is 2nd level and is significantly better in melee, and Greater Luminous Armor is 4th and is even stronger. They may not be necessary, but they're still better. Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration in MIC to fix the Str damage sacrifice that comes when either of those ends.

Practiced Spellcaster is still a good choice, despite only giving +2 caster level.

Nymph's Kiss is in BoED, Mercantile Background and Dreadful Wrath are in PGtF. The lists (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists) can usually tell you where to find things.

Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) would also be useful, get a war-trained Riding Dog and say you used Handle Animal to give it the Warbeast template in MM2 and you can use it as a mount, or just as a superb combatant to carry your 1st level party.

Consider taking the Harmonious Knight (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 1 substitution level for Paladin, taking Dragonfire Inspiration at 1st, and using the Dragonblood Sorcerer 1 sub level to get Draconic Heritage instead of a familiar to switch that to sonic damage. You can get a Badge of Valor in MIC to increase it to +2d6 damage, and probably pick up Melodic Casting at some point so you don't have to stop singing to cast a spell. I actually did this exact thing with this build in a party with a DFI Bard granting fire damage and an OA Samurai 2/ Paladin with Harmonious Knight granting a flat bonus to attack and damage, among others. At 5th level we killed a CR 11 Adult Black Dragon without anyone taking a single point of damage, thanks to glitterdust blinding it, a wolf companion tripping it, the fact that it did a maximized clinging breath on our four magebred wolves and they all made the save with evasion.