PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Reign of Winter AP, Cleric build advice

Thurmin
2014-10-15, 12:59 AM
My group is starting a new AP, Reign of Winter due to the old group growing so large it was getting unmanageable. So far, we have a Halfling Monk (tripper build), Elven Ranger-Battle Scout, Gnome Bard(know race/class, unknown on archetype or vanilla). My daughter and I are playing a father/daughter duo in game. She is a Human Two-Handed Fighter, and I'm planning on playing a Cleric.

Stats: 18, 17, 15, 15, 15, 10. Trait: Magical Lineage-Fireball.

I'm stuck on what to play. In other games I've played the Melee face smasher cleric, the Archer cleric, I have a Theologian Fire Domain cleric as well. I want to play a Cleric with 2 domains (therefore, removing Archetypes) and was thinking of picking up Water (for the 6th level Cold Resists), and Fire/Ash subDomain for blasty goodness.

Feats: not sure how I should go about this.

I want to maximize my blasty goodness. I enjoy the options with the Frost and Fire spells, and with my 1 trait (Magical Lineage: fireball) I have that sewed up. Beyond Spell Focus: Evocation and Spell Specialization, Greater Spell Focus, Greater Spell Specialization, Selective Spell and Spell Perfection I'm at a loss.

Suggestions/Advice would be greatly appreciated.

deuxhero
2014-10-15, 11:18 AM
I can't really recomend blaster cleric, but if that's what you want to play...

You said Archetypes were out because you wanted two domains, but Ecclesitheurge actually keeps both and as you are so heavily dependent upon domain spells, its ability to prepare domain spells in normal slots is useful for you (otherwise you have to spend EVERY feat on Preferred Spell). Ask your GM about blessing of the faithful as ACG, in its poor editing, forgot to actually include that feature in the archetype despite mentioning you lose it if you wear armor.

Being Planetouched* with the Unscathed trait is probably a better option for getting resistances than blowing a domain on water, and if your are going Ecclesitheurge you want as many useful domains as possible.

*which doesn't interfere with your background. Planetouched is a non-inherited mutation of humans instead of true races.

avr
2014-10-15, 11:58 AM
No metamagic? Getting magical lineage (fireball) and not getting, say, empower spell seems odd. If you plan to use a lot of frost spells rime spell might be worthwhile.

I'm womdering what deity you plan to follow to get both fire and water domains though. None spring to mind though I admit I'm no expert.

Thurmin
2014-10-15, 08:07 PM
@Deuxhero - yeah, it's a quandary. Since the group doesn't have a strong arcane caster that's why I'm trying for a blasty cleric. The more I look into it, research and such the more I'm getting dissuaded from it. Theologian appears to be the Archetype I'll have to go into. I loved the Ecclesitheurge Archetype, except for the loss of Channel Energy. Mostly because I like using that as my primary means of healing the group outside of combat.

And yes, having to blow all my limited feats on Preferred Spell is out of the question. Looks like I'll be making a Theologian of Saranrae (again) with Fire Domain, Ash Subdomain.

@avr - You can select two domains to represent your ideals or spirituality. You don't get a favored weapon though. As for the metamagic, it wasn't that I didn't want/have any Metamagics, I just was overwhelmed and was asking for advice/assistance in selecting some.

Domains: A cleric’s deity influences her alignment, what magic she can perform, her values, and how others see her. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to her deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if her alignment matches that domain.
If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, she still selects two domains to represent her spiritual inclinations and abilities (subject to GM approval). The restriction on alignment domains still applies.

Originally I was planning on using the evocation spells for battlefield control with the damage aspect to help assist the party as a whole. Now? I'm very likely going Theologian of Saranrae with the Fire Domain, Ash Subdomain.

My current feat pathing is:

Hum - Spell Focus: Conjuration
1st - Spell Specialization (Burning Hands, eventually Fireball)
3rd - Additional Traits (Metamagic Master[Fireball] Regional race trait, Finding your Kin Campaign trait)
5th - Heighten Spell
5th - Domain Secret: Intensified Fireball (maybe Disruptive)
7th - Preferred Spell: Fireball
9th - Persistent Spell
10th - Domain Secret: Bouncing Produce Flame
11th - Selective Spell
13th - Quicken Spell
15th - Spell Perfection: Fireball
15th - Domain Secret: Intensified Burning Hands
17th - Dazing Spell
19th - Greater Spell Specialization