PDA

View Full Version : Rust Monster Friendly

Avigor
2014-10-15, 01:19 AM
What options are there to stop a rust monster from chasing you for food?

Character is a dwarven rogue, if that makes any difference. The idea is he's a "Professional Dungeoneer" and likes to be prepared for anything.

Are there any special weapon materials that they are guaranteed to ignore? I want to avoid taking any damage penalties for sub-par materials, or to be limited to a quarterstaff and sling. I'm looking for a finesse weapon and a ranged weapon, and I kinda like the light hammer flavor...

I know about everbright but I don't want it to attack me at all, which I'd expect it to still do so for an everbright weapon (then get pissed to find that it can't eat it). There is that crystal weapons material but I've heard of a psi rust monster variant that'll eat that, so I want to find something better than that.

Has there ever been a set price for getting say darkwood instead of metal for the fastenings, buckles, and clasps that go with your belt, cloak, pack, saddle, and leather armor?

Is there an offical ruling on if they can smell metal hidden within a bag of holding or similar extradimensional storage? Any thoughts on potential ad hoc smellproof bag prices?

Can anyone think of any other good q's I'm missing?

Rubik
2014-10-15, 02:10 AM
Can anyone think of any other good q's I'm missing?Eat metal? (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-1-title/)

Everbright and blueshine are your best (and cheapest) bets for ensuring the health of your equipment, and rust monsters aren't exactly dangerous outside of their rusting abilities.

How about making your equipment out of serren wood (acts as ghost touch) and casting a Permanencied Ironwood spell on them? Usable on both weapons and armors.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-15, 02:13 AM
Glassteel (glass as hard as steel) isn't metallic and can be used for weapons; latest version is in Champions of Valor on page 65. Dragonhide can be used to make most types of armor at double the MW price; see Draconomicon on pages 115-116. Composite bows aren't metallic anyway, so it's only the arrowheads you need to worry about. For those, you can use Bronzewood (Arms and Equipment Guide, pages 18-19).

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-15, 07:34 AM
Crystal and Deep crystal can also be used as non-metalic weapons with no significant problem.

Madhava
2014-10-15, 03:35 PM
As soon as you see one, eat your own hammer. Before it has the chance to. Man, they hate that.

I can't see how anything would be able to smell something located within a parallel pocket dimension. Basically, it'd be smelling something on a different plane. I can't imagine this as being possible.

Although you never know, really, seeing as rust monsters tend to roundhouse kick physics in the face, seeing as they make gold rust. Gold, which is non-reactive to oxygen (rust = oxidation), and very nearly an inert element. But I suppose that's D&D for you.

Seriously, do any DM's actually use rust monsters anymore? Not only are they a physics nightmare... they're like elder puddings; just pure, unadulterated melee-hate.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-15, 03:43 PM
Eat metal? (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-1-title/)

Thank you for directing me to this comic; it's the best laugh I've had in a while. I especially like the use of "THAC0!" as an onomatopoeia :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2014-10-15, 10:57 PM
A Gauntlet of Rust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gauntletofRust) will protect you and all your gear from any Rust Monster attacks. It's an expensive option, but if you're really that concerned you could keep one in your bag of holding.