PDA

View Full Version : Spy Hunter (PrC)

Letedwend
2007-03-17, 04:31 AM
Spy Hunter

d8

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful only (or non-Chaotic; see Special).
Base Attack: +4.
Skills: Decipher Script 4 ranks, Sense Motive 7 ranks, Spot 7 ranks.
Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight
Special: Must have a friendly affiliation with a law-enforcement or military organisation that deals with counter-espionage. If the character is a member of such an organisation, he need only be non-Chaotic, rather than Lawful only.

Class skills (6+int modifier): Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The spy hunter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A spy hunter can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): The spy hunter has eyes that are so sensitive to light that he can see twice as far as normal in dim light. Low-light vision is color vision. A spellcaster with low-light vision can read a scroll as long as even the tiniest candle flame is next to him as a source of light. The spy hunter can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as he can during the day.

Vigilant Suspicion (Ex): At 2nd level, the spy hunter gains a +2 competence bonus on Sense Motive and Spot checks to see through a disguise, and on Forgery checks to notice a fake document, etc.

Mirage Strike (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a spy hunter can seemingly strike from multiple directions simultaneously with a normal melee attack. This special attack bypasses the target's dodge bonus to AC, and ignores the Uncanny Dodge special ability. This attack also receives a bonus to damage equal to the spy hunter's class level.

This ability can be used once per day, and one additional time per day for every two levels after 2nd. This is a mind-affecting illusion effect.

Detect Poison (Ex): At 3rd level, the spy hunter learns to recognise poison by sight, smell and taste. He receives a competence bonus equal to his class level on Spot checks to notice poison on a weapon, trap, etc, and on checks to smell inhaled poison in the air and taste poison in food or drink.

This ability doesn't allow the spy hunter to identify specific kinds of poison, though he still can if he also posesses that ability from another source; it simply allows him to identify the presence of poison.

The spy hunter also receives a +2 bonus to fortitude saves vs. poison.

Codebreaker (Ex): At 4th level, the spy hunter gains a +2 competence bonus on the Discern Secret Message use of Sense Motive, and on Decipher Script checks with regards to codes, ciphers, etc.

Darkvision (Su): Starting at 5th level, a spy hunter can see in the dark as though he were permanently under the effect of a Darkvision spell.

Binding Shadows (Sp): As a standard action, a spy hunter of at least 5th level can conjure an immobile, Medium-Sized arm from a shadow within 50 yards. The spy hunter can will it to grapple any creature within its reach (10 yards). If the target fails a spot check against the arm (hide 10 +1 per spy hunter level, +4 bonus to hide at night or in darkness; always moves silently), they are treated as flat-footed for the arm's first grapple attempt.

The arm has a strength of 14 +1 per three spy hunter levels. The arm can make one grapple attempt per round and does generate an Attack of Opportunity. If successful, it attempts to pin the target, which does 1d6+strength modifier lethal or nonlethal damage (caster's discretion) each round. If the spy hunter does not give the arm any commands, it has a 50% chance each round of either attempting to grapple a random enemy within reach or doing nothing.

The arm is immune to all damage, but can be dispelled (DC = 10 + spy hunter level + charisma modifier) or grappled/pinned. The arm has immunities as if it were a construct, but is not a construct itself.

The arm lasts for one round per spy hunter level or until dismissed (as a free action), dispelled, or the spy hunter moves at least 100 yards away from it.

This ability can be used once per day, and one additional time per day for every four spy hunter levels after 5th.

Foil the Perfect Disguise (Sp): At 6th level, a spy hunter gains the ability to see invisible creatures and objects for a number of rounds per day equal to his class level plus his wisdom modifier, as though using the spell See Invisibility. The rounds spent using it need not be consecutive. This ability is triggered as a standard action and dismissed as a free action.

Slippery Mind (Ex): If a spy hunter of at least 7th level is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again one round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Blindsense (Su): At 8th level, the spy hunter develops a sixth sense that alerts him to things he could not normally see. He gains Blindsense out to 30'.

Unwavering Loyalty (Su): Spy hunters of at least 9th level are immune to charm and compulsion effects.

True Sight (Sp): At 10th level, when the spy hunter uses his Foil the Perfect Disguise ability, he is also treated as being under the effect of a True Seeing spell.

SPY HUNTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Uncanny Dodge, Low-Light Vision

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Vigilant Suspicion, Mirage Strike 1/day

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Detect Poison

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Codebreaker, Mirage Strike 2/day

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Darkvision, Binding Shadows 1/day

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Foil the Perfect Disguise, Mirage Strike 3/day

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Slippery Mind, Improved Uncanny Dodge

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Blind Sense, Mirage Strike 4/day

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Unwavering Loyalty, Binding Shadows 2/day

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|True Sight, Mirage Strike 5/day[/table]

An idea I was kicking around for a little while. I have almost no idea about balancing, so comments about that would be helpful, probably. In fact, any comments, really. If you absolutely hate this idea and think it is dumb beyond human expression, say so in nicer words.

Haedrian
2007-03-17, 04:53 AM
I lyke it infact.

However i suggest:

a) Must be lawful [obviously]

THe problem is, what class would it come from? A rogue class?
Another problem is, what would an adventurer be doing as a spyhunter running in dungeons?

Its a nice class for an NPC, but not good for player characters...

Letedwend
2007-03-17, 05:06 AM
Good point on the alignment thing. Will change it.

I figured, yeah, it would most likely be a rogue thing. But it could also be for fighters willing to buy some ranks in cross-class skills (maybe fighter/rogues). Maybe even monks. I guess I'd have to think more carefully about the skill prereqs. Any thoughts on that issue?

I have no idea what role it'd play in a campaign (like I said, I was just kicking it around in my head). Could be for NPCs, or for PCs in city-bound campaigns. (I've not actually played much tabletop D&D. Are there actually many mostly-city-bound campaigns?)

Haedrian
2007-03-17, 05:12 AM
City bound campaigns... not really I suppose.

They're adventurers, they'd prefer going in some kind of dungeon and beating stuff up.

In fact, the amount of coin you can get in a city is minimal as opposed to a dungeon (at higher levels).

Matthew
2007-03-18, 02:11 PM
Seems okay. I like that Rogues can take this as at Level 3.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-18, 02:31 PM
Who's to say you can do dungeon-style adventures within a city? Streets, sewers, Underdark, towers, markets, mansions, ghettos. Riots, parades, rebellions, crowds. Noblemen, guards, beggars, merchants, thieves, you name it. A city can have it all, if you want it to. Too many DMs treat the town as the PC's gas station: pull in, feul up, & it's back to the highway of the plot.

My next campaign, in fact, is a Resident Evil-style zombie infestation in a quarantined city. I plan on it lasting until at least 10th level.

Matthew
2007-03-18, 02:43 PM
I think you mean to say: "Who's to say you cannot"

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-19, 10:01 AM
VERY COOL PrC. in my opinion might be used for NPC only, and I think he is very balanced.
just add some fluff about the class and its all done (in my opinion again, don't eat me ppl)

Letedwend
2007-03-23, 09:49 PM
Bump due to edit.

Icewalker
2007-03-24, 03:10 PM
I like it. Great NPC class, good for PCs in a more varied campaign or series of adventures. I think it may actually be a little weak even. I suggest adding in something players would find useful, as this class seems to be more focused on finding the theives than stopping them. Like a smite chaos, but not religious, you know?

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-24, 03:42 PM
shadow abilites instead of immunity, maybe?

Letedwend
2007-03-25, 12:33 AM
Added some more combat-oriented abilities, including a smite-esque ability. Binding Shadows is basically a warlock's Stony Grasp with some alterations. I might add some flavour text later tonight or tomorrow, but who knows?! I'm pretty lazy.

Cheers for the help with this, guys. Hope you like it even more now!

Icewalker
2007-03-25, 02:43 AM
I like em. Very useful stuff for a guard/lookout, you can slow them down and fight them off while calling for help, or some such thing.

Letedwend
2007-03-27, 09:49 PM
Hmmm... I'm not particularly happy with the way Binding Shadows turned out. I've decided it's overly complicated. Alternately, it could be something like:

Binds the target creature in shadows. The target can use a standard action to attempt to break free by making an opposed strength check against the shadows (strength 12 + spy hunter level). If they fail this check (or don't attempt it), they are paralysed for one round per spy hunter level and take 1d6 nonlethal damage per round while they remain paralysed. The target can attempt another strength check to escape each round, and each attempt uses a standard action.

Also, I've decided that Mirage Strike needs to be less powerful against higher level enemies, so maybe I'll add to it something like:

If the target has at least four more levels in classes with Improved Uncanny Dodge than one-and-a-half times the spy hunter's class level, Mirage Strike only ignores 2 of their dodge bonus to AC, and they retain the benefits of Uncanny Dodge.

I'm also thinking of adding Comprehend Languages as a spell-like ability.

What do you guys think? These changes worth adding?

Matthew
2007-04-01, 04:38 PM
Looks pretty good, but what's with the Dark Vision ability? Seems kind of wasted for a few Races and non understandable in terms of fluff for non Dark Vision Races.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-04-01, 04:53 PM
well, I hink you are done with mechanics, off to fluff you go (wait..you are lazy...never mind then).

and I think classes with Su abilities should be like super hidden prestige classes that only players (or NPCs..) that went through specific tests and so that tested them (or trianed or sumthin') only then will be aproved to learn the ways of the class.

Spiryt
2007-04-01, 05:47 PM
What do you guys think? These changes worth adding?
I would also reduce bonus damage from it. Not much but... maybe just equal to the spy your hunter's level?
Maybe +1 on existing spellcater level one or two times? Spellcaters. especialy partial, like rangers might be interested in this PrC. And spells will be great help.
Whole concept is great, but i really dont like binding shadows. It looks totally magick, while whole class looks rather mundane.

Maybe something like that :
In the name of law!
When you are chasing somebody trough crowded/just populated area you may atempt a diplomacy check as a free action. If you succed on this roll 1d4+ half your charisma mod. of people will try to grapple/trip your prey.
Roll DC is 12 + difference between people level/ hit dice and Level of chased one (If members of crowd have different levels choose the strongest member. In case of succesful roll he will grapple/trip first). If you beat the DC by 5 or more people with weapons may attack your target, attempting to deal nonlethal damage/ cast some stoping spells.
Lawful people have + 2 to all opposed grapple/trip checks against your prey.
You must beat a DC by 5 or more to convice chaotic folks to join chase.
If chased one look dangerous from any matter DC is + 2 to +5.
If the target fails sense motive check (10 + 1 per spy hunter level + your inteligence mod.)he is treated as flat-footed for the first grapple/trip attempt.

Huh. I think it will match whole "lawful" cocept well. Maybe somebody would like it.