PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a Wizard Crossbreeder

atemu1234
2014-10-15, 07:27 AM
I want to make a Wizard who specializes in crossbreeding as described in Encyclopedia Arcane. I was thinking a Transmuter, but what schools should be banned, and which spells should I put in his spellbooks?

Skysaber
2014-10-15, 01:37 PM
I want to make a Wizard who specializes in crossbreeding as described in Encyclopedia Arcane. I was thinking a Transmuter, but what schools should be banned, and which spells should I put in his spellbooks?

Very few help directly with the crossbreeding process. Some value can be gotten out of Enlarge or Reduce, plus Permanency, as that lowers the DCs for crossbreeding creatures if you make them the same size.

Haven't got a clue as to which would be the best schools to ban. Enchantment is actually quite useful to a crossbreeder, as it gets the critters to cooperate nicely when you ask them very politely to get in that strange magical contraption that will dissolve them and blend their essence with something else. Likewise Evocation for the ever-valuable Contingency spell in case things go wrong.

afroakuma
2014-10-15, 02:03 PM

The best thing to do would be to track down a copy of Dragon 237 and adapt the spells of the Merlane, including enhance trait, lusus naturae and teratism. The Merlane is the wizard class that created strange beasts such as the owlbear. Their traditionally banned schools were Abjuration and Necromancy. I'd recommend dropping Illusion and Evocation, since the others are all more relevant to the process.