PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 silence magic items for stealth

Smegskull
2014-10-15, 07:50 AM
In old dnd silence was all about stealth buffing now it seems to focus mostly on verbal spell components which leave me as a rogue with some ambiguity to clear up.

Ring of silent spells MIC: the description is you are effected as if by silence for long enough to cast 3 spells. How long is this? If I cast no spells is it timeless? Is this intended to only silence speach (not indicated at all) or could I walk around silently? Does this effect include anything in a 20ft radius like the spell or exclusively you like the whispergnome SLA?
shackles of silence MIC:
while worn character is under the effects of silence. Do they have to be worn as restraints of could I put them on like bracelets on 1 arm? Again it quotes silence which negates all sound giving perfect move silently but seams specifically designed to stop spell casting.
There are a few other MIC and DMG items with similar problems.
Are there any magic items that give x/day uses of silence without implying it only applies to spells? If it is written to stop spells is using it to move silently an unfair exploit?

Any advice appreciated

Chronos
2014-10-15, 09:08 AM
In old dnd silence was all about stealth buffing now it seems to focus mostly on verbal spell components which leave me as a rogue with some ambiguity to clear up.
I don't see how you get this. The spell itself hasn't changed. The only change has been in the other circumstances, and that seems to go the other way from what you're saying: On the one hand, Move Silently checks used to be unopposed, so a mid-level rogue quickly reached the point where it worked every time even without buffs, but now it can always be defeated by a sufficiently-high Listen. On the other hand, Silence used to completely shut down all spellcasters, but now there's the Silent Spell metamagic feat to overcome that.

And the Silence effect of a Ring of Silent Spells does not depend on any spells you cast. It's as the Silence spell, at a caster level of 5, which means that it lasts for 5 minutes. During that time you can apply the Silent Spell feat for free to up to three spells, but you don't have to, and the Silence wears off at the same time whether you do or not.

Smegskull
2014-10-15, 05:18 PM
I don't see how you get this. The spell itself hasn't changed. The only change has been in the other circumstances, and that seems to go the other way from what you're saying: On the one hand, Move Silently checks used to be unopposed, so a mid-level rogue quickly reached the point where it worked every time even without buffs, but now it can always be defeated by a sufficiently-high Listen. On the other hand, Silence used to completely shut down all spellcasters, but now there's the Silent Spell metamagic feat to overcome that.
The spell hasn't strictly changed but the descriptor has to focus on it's now common use as a wizard killer rather than its original intent as a stealth supporter

And the Silence effect of a Ring of Silent Spells does not depend on any spells you cast. It's as the Silence spell, at a caster level of 5, which means that it lasts for 5 minutes. During that time you can apply the Silent Spell feat for free to up to three spells, but you don't have to, and the Silence wears off at the same time whether you do or not.
So that will give me 5 minutes of silence per day.
what about the shackles then? Shackles of silence fit any Small, Medium, or Large creature. A creature manacled with these shackles is affected by a silence effect (as the spell) that fills that creature’s space.
Could I just wear them on 1 arm and be silenced until I wish to remove them? It doesn't say how you have to be manacled so I see no reason why I couldn't put both shackles on 1 arm. (they are caster lvl 3 but have no dayly use text so I assume the silence effect is permanent not 3 mins).

I could just follow the DMG on inventing magic items {Spell lvl (2) x caster lvl (2 I assume) x 2000gp (x2 to convert min/lvl to activated continuous) = 16,000gp} but I would rather use something cannon. The ring of invisibility is 20,000gp and the spell invisibility and silence are both bard lvl 2 Illusion spells with a 1min/lvl duration so maybe I could pass that off. Shame there is no Ring of Silence in MIC.

Chronos
2014-10-15, 07:25 PM
It's always been a wizard killer. I don't know where you're getting that stealth was the "original intent".

Smegskull
2014-10-16, 02:02 AM
It's always been a wizard killer. I don't know where you're getting that stealth was the "original intent".
From the original description when it was introduced to OD&D http://blog.binkystick.com/2010/04/12/silence/

But I would much rather get back to the topic of how my rogue can get hold of silence to be immune to listen checks.

nedz
2014-10-16, 06:20 PM
Zone of Silence might be more useful for what you want — PH p303
Beguiler 3, Bard 4, Vigilante 4

More expensive, but also more useful and with a longer duration.

Smegskull
2014-10-17, 01:21 PM
Zone of Silence might be more useful for what you want — PH p303
Beguiler 3, Bard 4, Vigilante 4

More expensive, but also more useful and with a longer duration.
That would be better spell yes but I would rather have a magic item (worn) that I can activate than a wand with a use magic item check.

nedz
2014-10-17, 01:55 PM
That would be better spell yes but I would rather have a magic item (worn) that I can activate than a wand with a use magic item check.

I was suggesting it assuming you would have it made into an item.

Smegskull
2014-10-17, 07:08 PM
I was suggesting it assuming you would have it made into an item.
sell lvl 4 x caster lvl 4 x 2000gp = 32,000gp as an item that is way more expensive.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-17, 07:19 PM
sell lvl 4 x caster lvl 4 x 2000gp = 32,000gp as an item that is way more expensive.

Actually, the minimum CL for a 3rd-level spell (because you're going to be paying an NPC beguiler to cast it) is 5. But you wouldn't want a continuous item anyways; command-word is much cheaper, especially (in most cases) when you factor in duration. Command-word price would be 3 x 5 x 1800 = 27000 GP. Also, ZoS is a great spell because characters inside the radius can still talk to each other and be heard, so you can use it to benefit the party all day. Combine it with one or two castings of Invisibility Sphere for moar sneakiness.

nedz
2014-10-17, 07:43 PM
I did say more expensive (also your pricing is wrong) it does work out cheaper per minute though.