PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Cleric Question

Foxer
2007-03-17, 05:01 AM
What would a cleric of a monotheistic faith take as his or her domain spells?

PinkysBrain
2007-03-17, 05:04 AM
What campaign world? I could only really see it working in Eberron (in which case I'd say just pick a couple of domains appopriate to your god, and take two with your cleric). In one with actual interfering gods it's a bit silly.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-17, 05:16 AM
With only one God that deity is likely to have many aspects, so should have a great selection of domains. You could break that one faith into aspects and offer different domains for each

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-17, 06:11 AM
Even if there's only one god he might have limited domains. I would guess alignment based ones (good + either law or chaos depending on ethic) as well as one based on the main aspect of that god (weather if he smites people with lightning, Creation if he's a creator, Healing if he's charitable).

To use a less contraversal example the Egyptian Monotheistic diety Atun would have Sun and Good domains because he's the sun disc and everyone likes to think their diety is good.

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-17, 06:32 AM
I've been thinking of using saints, and giving the god... probably Good and Sun. Everyone would venerate the main god, and so always have access to Good and Sun, but they'd have to pick a saint if they want any other domains (but even if they pick a saint, they can always get Good and/or Sun).

EDIT: Perhaps prophets would work as well as saints, for a slightly different flavor...

Ikkitosen
2007-03-17, 06:33 AM
Sounds like good flavour that maintains the in-place mechanics - perfect.

Caelestion
2007-03-17, 06:57 AM
I think it was Deities & Demigods that suggested picking one alignment domain (to match your own) and one other domain to suit your church's individual interpretation of the one God. That might also work.

Matthew
2007-03-17, 12:42 PM
I agree with Ikkitosen that a Monotheistic faith would have access to pretty much all Domains, but that individual Clerics would be limited in their choices.

I've been thinking of using saints, and giving the god... probably Good and Sun. Everyone would venerate the main god, and so always have access to Good and Sun, but they'd have to pick a saint if they want any other domains (but even if they pick a saint, they can always get Good and/or Sun).

EDIT: Perhaps prophets would work as well as saints, for a slightly different flavor...

Very close to how I run my Monotheistic (A)D&D Campaign, that.