PDA

View Full Version : Repost: Goomba Race (PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-10-15, 11:24 AM
I'm reposting this, due to the last one not getting any sort of feedback:

Goomba

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121207200144/nintendo/en/images/2/2a/New_Super_Mario_Bros_Wii_Goomba.jpeg

Goombas are a fungus-based species capable of speech. They resemble brown mushrooms (or chestnuts, hence their Oriental name “Kuriboh”) with two feet but no arms and are specifically based on the shiitake mushroom. Goombas have large faces that occupy most of their mushroom caps, while their stems attach their heads to their feet. A defining feature are their black bushy eyebrows that form a scowl. They also have two upward-pointing fangs that sometimes resemble braces.

Goomba Racial Traits (3.5 Rules)
+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Small-Sized: +1 Size Bonus to Armor Class, +1 Size Bonus to Attack Rolls, +4 Bonus to Hide Checks, -4 Size Penalty to Grapple rolls. ¾ Carry Capacity Modifier.
Goomba base land speed is 30 feet, despite their size.
Monstrous Humanoid: Goomba are considered to be Monstrous Humanoids.
Goomba Manipulations: Despite not having arms and/or hands, the Goomba can use items as if they had arms. They can cast spells with somatic components normally, spending other resources as needed (using a pouch of spell components by holding them in their mouthes, for example).
Goomba Natural Attacks: A Goomba has a natural Slam attack and a natural Bite attack. Both the Bite and the Slam attacks deal 1d6 damage, but the Bite has a x3 Critical Hit Modifier, and the Slam attack has a x2 Critical Hit Modifier.
Goomba Tactics: Goomba gain a +2 bonus to all attack rolls against targets that have at least 1 ally adjacent to them.
Automatic Languages: Common and Goomba
Bonus Languages: Any (Except for secret languages, such as Druidic)
Favored Class: Rogue OR Swashbuckler

3.5 Equipment Rules for the Goomba
The Goomba are the only race that uses the following rules:
Goomba-made weapons and armor have an extra 25% cost, due to Goomba not being able to use weapons and armor made for other races.
Since the Goomba have smaller bodies than normal, they cannot wear clothing/armor in the normal slot. Instead, they treat Goomba-made clothing/armor as the Head slot for the purposes of determining what equipment can be worn. Cloaks and Amulets still fit under the Neck slot.
Goomba lose proficiency with weapons, clothing/armor made for the other humanoid races. They still can use shields as normal.

Goomba Equipment
Note: Only the Goomba are proficient in the use of these items at 1st level.

Paragoomba Wings
Gain a 30 ft. fly speed (Average Maneuverability)
16,000 gp

Kuribo's Shoe
Gain a +30 bonus to all Jump checks. All jumps are treated as if you made a running start.
15,000 gp

Golden Cloak
3x a day, you can multiply a single source of GP by 5 (e.g. Personal Coinpurse) You can only do this once per GP source.
50,000 gp

Goomba Mask (Usable only by any non-Goomba)
When worn, you are treated as a Goomba for the purposes of using Goomba items. You are not restricted as a Goomba is.
5,000 gp

Goomba

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130309203510/fantendo/images/7/73/Goombario.gifhttp://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/c/c6/Goombella2.jpg/200px-Goombella2.jpg

Goombas are a fungus-based species capable of speech. They resemble brown mushrooms (or chestnuts, hence their Oriental name “Kuriboh”) with two feet but no arms and are specifically based on the shiitake mushroom. Goombas have large faces that occupy most of their mushroom caps, while their stems attach their heads to their feet. A defining feature are their black bushy eyebrows that form a scowl. They also have two upward-pointing fangs that sometimes resemble braces.

Goomba Racial Traits (5e)
Ability Score Increases. Your Dexterity Score increases by 2, while another Ability Score of your choice increases by 1.
Speed. Despite the Goomba’s size, they are fast. The Goomba base walking speed is 30 feet.
Size. The Goomba usually stand around 2’6” to 3’8” and weigh around 45 to 60 pounds. The Goomba is Small-Sized. They cannot wield weapons with the “heavy” keyword.
Goomba Body. Despite not having arms and/or hands, the Goomba can use items as if they had arms. They can still cast spells, despite not being able to use any somatic components for said spells/invocations. Also, the Goomba are not proficient in any weapons and clothing/armor that were made for other humanoids; Instead are proficient in the use of Goomba weapons, armor, and items (See below for full rules).
Goomba Tactics. You gain advantage on all attack rolls against targets that have at least 1 of your allies adjacent to them.
Languages. Goomba can understand, speak, and are literate in the Common and the Goomba languages.

5e Equipment Rules for the Goomba
The Goomba are the only race that uses the following rules:
Goomba-made weapons and armor have an extra 15% cost, due to Goomba not being able to use weapons and armor made for other races.
Since the Goomba have smaller bodies than normal, they cannot wear clothing/armor in the normal slot. Instead, they treat Goomba-made clothing/armor as the Head slot for the purposes of determining what equipment can be worn. Cloaks and Amulets still fit under the Neck slot.
Goomba lose proficiency with weapons, clothing/armor made for the other humanoid races. They still can use shields as normal, however.

Goomba Equipment
Note: Only the Goomba are proficient in the use of these items at 1st level.

Paragoomba Wings
Gain a 25 ft. fly speed
Uncommon

Kuribo's Shoe
Gain advantage to all Athletics checks to jump. All jumps are treated as if you made a running start.
Uncommon

Golden Cloak
3x a day, you can multiply a single source of GP by 5 (e.g. Personal Coinpurse) You can only do this once per GP source.
Legendary

Goomba Mask (Usable only by any non-Goomba)
When worn, you are treated as a Goomba for the purposes of using Goomba items. You are not restricted as a Goomba is.
Rare

(I DON’T KNOW HOW 5e MAGIC ITEM PRICES WORK!!!)
Sorry for the Necromancy I performed... :(

Kamai
2014-10-15, 11:59 AM
I'm just looking at the 3.5 Goomba because I have no idea of 5e balance. First off, thematically, I don't understand the +4 Dex, -2 Strength. All of the Mario RPG Goombs that I remember were pretty silly strong, and could do about as much with their headbutts as Mario could with his jumps. That seems like it would suggest +2 Dex, -0 Str, making them exceptionally strong for their size.

In general, Goombas need at least one of a slam weapon or basic equipment. Since they can't wield a basic weapon, they need something better than the 1d2 unarmed strike to be able to actually fight. Even if you were to justify armor spikes as their thing, that only gives them a 1d3 weapon.

Goomba Manipulations: It makes it sound like that Goombas still need to be able to move in some way instead of using their arms. However, handing them Still Spell lets them cast in situations where they shouldn't be able to move. I'd borrow language from Natural Spell instead of handing them Still Spell.

What creature type are they? I'm assuming Humanoid, but you should explicitly spell that out.

ktccd
2014-10-15, 12:36 PM
I would actually assume Monstrous humanoid to be more fitting, but if that was the case, then he wouldn't need to write the thing about the equipment rules, since Monstrous humanoid armor is automatically more expensive. Would this be a LA +0 race? If so, then having still spell for free, without even the extra spell slot increase is *really* good for any caster. I'd agree with Kamai and say it should probably be like natural spell instead if you don't want this to become the #1 caster race for all your players ^^.

The gear rules are a bit weird. There's already rules for making other sized equipment, there's hardly need for even more, intricate rules for them?

All of this just screams "Make a magic Goomba" to me, but I would've imagined that Goombas were front-liners, the first to the fight... IDK, it feels a bit odd thematically?

EDIT: Sorry for not giving any feedback on the last version, but I am in no way qualified to give any critique on 5e, I don't even know the first thing about the system :S.

Ralcos
2014-10-15, 06:27 PM
Updated the 3.5 Goomba

Kamai
2014-10-16, 01:21 AM
Giving them Natural spell is honestly just as off as giving them Still Spell. By RAW, they'll only be able to cast while Wild Shaped, not within their natural form. We were both suggesting to use Natural Spell to help word Goomba Manipulations, not give them that.

Ralcos
2014-10-16, 10:37 AM
Giving them Natural spell is honestly just as off as giving them Still Spell. By RAW, they'll only be able to cast while Wild Shaped, not within their natural form. We were both suggesting to use Natural Spell to help word Goomba Manipulations, not give them that.

So, THAT'S what you meant! *facepalm*
Anyhow, I updated Goomba Manipulations (3.5 version).