PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Halfling Lance

Easy_Lee
2014-10-15, 02:17 PM
I looked at the weapons table and noticed that, while most reach weapons are considered heavy, the lance is not. That got me thinking about halflings with lances. In the interests of making a halfling worthy lance that doesn't appear oversized for the little guy, I came up with the following:

Halfling Lance
One hand, 1d10, reach, finesse, 3 lb, martial
Special: you have disadvantage when using a lance to attack targets within 5' of you. Also, requires two hands to wield when not mounted.

For having finesse, I cut the damage to 1d10 (from 1d12 for a normal lance). Rogues can't use it without a feat/multiclass, and it does only one more damage than a superior-range longbow. This puts it in line with damage from the heavy crossbow, which has similar cruxes. I feel it's a fair trade.

The idea is that you line up the hit (dex) but let momentum drive the point. I imagine halflings riding bullmastiffs carrying these, defending their tiny villas from goblin raiders.

Thoughts?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-15, 02:19 PM
Might want to tag this as 5e. I was confused for a bit as to why you thought upping the damage by two die sizes was balanced, but then I noticed the clause about having disadvantage and understood.

Easy_Lee
2014-10-15, 02:32 PM
Might want to tag this as 5e. I was confused for a bit as to why you thought upping the damage by two die sizes was balanced, but then I noticed the clause about having disadvantage and understood.

Can't seem to do that from mobile. I'll try later when I get home.

Edit: done

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-15, 02:39 PM
Can't seem to do that from mobile. I'll try later when I get home.

Excellent.

Anyways, after taking a look at the 5e Lance statistics (I have a PHB, just haven't read all of it yet), this looks pretty well-balanced.