PDA

View Full Version : On the Origin of NPC's (Spoilers)

Aidan305
2007-03-17, 08:23 AM
For those of you who don't read the news:

http://sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=467

Have a look at the bottom of the page. A new book dedicated to our favourite evil trio.:mitd: :xykon: and :redcloak: . Anyone else like the look of this? Perhaps we shall finally find out who :mitd: really is. What did the people of Azure City do to :redcloak: mom? Who is the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle?

r2e
2007-03-17, 08:33 AM
I would actually be shocked if we found out what :mitd: really is. Talk about a disappointment. I want to see him revealed at a major part of plot.

Also, didn't the Giant say that you will never need Origins or any other book of "never before seen strips" to fully complete the story?

Revealing the :mitd: would defeat that.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-17, 08:48 AM
I wonder where Xykon found the MitD anyway....

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-17, 10:37 AM
He probably won it in a poker game or soemthing.

MReav
2007-03-17, 10:42 AM
Naw, we'll probably find out about the MitD before the book is published.

At least I hope we do, because there is only so much suspense you can get out of something before it becomes a tedious, unresolved plot point (Final Five Cylons anyone?)

Oxymoron
2007-03-17, 01:48 PM
I will deduce this newfound information in the calm logical steps in which my cold norwegian heritage have taught me:

OMAGAD, OMAGAD! A BOOK ON THE ORIGINS OF THE VILLAINS! WHEEEEEEEE!

I would sing the national anthem if I only knew the words! :smallredface:

The Extinguisher
2007-03-17, 02:04 PM
My thoughts exactly, Oxymoron.

Pantler
2007-03-17, 02:42 PM
Gah! Another comic book I'd love to have but I won't because shipping overseas is so darn expensive!

*commits suicide with a teaspoon*

Megalomaniac2
2007-03-17, 02:55 PM
I wonder if it will also give the origins of the Linear Guild as well?

Oxymoron
2007-03-17, 03:19 PM
It seems Rich have masterminded an evil plan for fandomination. He carefully gives us free samples of his webcomics, while making dozens of origins books behind our back which will never see the light of day on his website. The origin of Miko, the origin of Eugene Greenhilt, the origin Redcloaks mother, the origin og the Oracle and so on. And as we thirst for more knowledge the prizes will increase and increase until we must sell ourselves to slavelabour in coalmines only to afford our addiction to his supreme genius comics. WE are dooomed!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-17, 04:46 PM
Or, you could stick to reading the free comics, and be satisfied with not knowing every last detail of the story. So far, there are 80 or 90 pages of "origins" comics, which I guess will about double with the new book, compared to 427 free comics, which actually work out to around 500-600 if you're counting "pages" rather than number of updates.

Of course, you were probably being sarcastic.

phlip
2007-03-19, 08:49 PM
I wonder if it will also give the origins of the Linear Guild as well?

I doubt it... from the back of No Cure for the Paladin Blues:

"We already have one [original OOTS book]—On the Origin of PCs—with at least two more planned. One will tell the tale of Xykon, from his life through his death to his undeath, including how he met Redcloak and the Creature in the Darkness. The other...well, that's another year away, I don't think I'm ready to talk about that yet."

Caractacus
2007-03-21, 05:48 PM
I'm really happy with these book-only stories. I know it costs money but I see several benefits:

1) It is, after all, more Oots, and that just can't be bad...

2) It gives Rich the financial wherewithal to continue to feed our need.

3) It gives Rich the opportunity to develop things separate from the main plot; it helps keep him fresh and lets him do new stuff.

4) It allows him to have more freedom with the pacing. I think we are all familiar with the feeling that when we read the first hundred or so (depending on when we came in the door, so to speak) to the then current one, we loved everything and read each strip in seconds, but then we hit the 'wall' of three strips a week and then we start to feel that some things are going too slowly for our tastes (usually totally different things for different people, but there you go), and this feeds frustration in some.

Well, with a complete comic book, these sections where Rich wants to focus on one thing rather than another last about...ooh...45 seconds to two minutes, maximum, and so we don't even notice. This way he can develop things at the speed he wants.

5) Personally, I am going to be a terribly sad fellow when the final splash page of Oots hits my monitor, and so I want Rich to do as many extra Oots-related books as possible simply in order to delay the end of the ongoing story for as many years as possible...

Mind you, that proceeds at three a week regardless, but let's hope he has plenty of digressions that eat up strips (like the 'Samantha and the Bandits' interlude) up his sleeve so that Ootsy goodness will be ours for at least the five years he mentioned... :smallcool:

Aaah, my little Oots-book friends, Caractacus delays boredom-driven rampage only for you :smallfurious:

More books, must...have...more boooks... :smalltongue: