PDA

View Full Version : Best methods of which to determine LA

atemu1234
2014-10-15, 07:01 PM
I've noticed a few things in Savage Species that give "Acid Tests" to determine LA. Are there any better ways to decide LA other than eyeballing it and hoping it works out? Kind of like Vorpal Tribble's CR calculator, but for LA?

Greenish
2014-10-15, 07:11 PM
No. Eyeballing is your best bet.

I recommend purging the SS guidelines from your memory before you do, though.

Urpriest
2014-10-15, 08:32 PM
The best method is to try to build a character with the same capabilities using an LA +0 race and PC classes, then making sure your starting ECL lines up with that level.

Of course, once you've built such a character you can just use them instead...

Judge_Worm
2014-10-15, 08:52 PM
I usually go by HD=LA, it's quick dirty and not very accurate, but then again neither is considering STR the god stat. Of course 1hd=0la, unless that hd is a d12 or better.
For huge abilities I add +1 LA each (things like flight, breath weapons, or ability gains averaging above +2), if it has low HD.
Of course any race I would play/let my players play already has an official la or none at all. But for purposes of ECL I use the above, but most of the time CR is more appropriate.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-15, 09:03 PM
The best method is to try to build a character with the same capabilities using an LA +0 race and PC classes, then making sure your starting ECL lines up with that level.

Of course, once you've built such a character you can just use them instead...

This is roughly a good idea, but it's not always accurate. In particular, there's the worry that the exemplar character will have more side abilities and especially durability than a creature with LA.

Urpriest
2014-10-15, 09:07 PM
This is roughly a good idea, but it's not always accurate. In particular, there's the worry that the exemplar character will have more side abilities and especially durability than a creature with LA.

Well, ideally you'd make sure that the LA +0 build sacrifices enough side abilities and durability that the two are legitimately equal. Of course, this is pretty tough, and as I said previously if the build is better why not just use it?